Love the new game - I find it's much improved compared to the previous versions. There's just one thing: on my state-of-the-art, brand spankin' new pc it's still very very slow. It usually takes 3-5 seconds to switch between screens and it's driving me nuts. Is it just me? Is there something I'm overlooking? (Should I fix some setting?) Is this a well known error that will be fixed soon? Anyone who could shed their light on this would be greatly appreciated ;). PS: If it helps, my pc configuration: Win XP SP2, Quad Core @ 2.5ghz, 3GB RAM, GeForce 9600GT.

Depends on what data you're using. With the cornellverse it takes me 2-3 seconds to switch between some screens, and my system is not a patch on yours. With a significantly smaller mod [Montreal 1997] the game runs much faster on my system, with hardly any lag when switching screens. But yea, a little delay before a screen gets loaded is part and parcel of the game.

[QUOTE=Thing;463671]Love the new game - I find it's much improved compared to the previous versions. There's just one thing: on my state-of-the-art, brand spankin' new pc it's still very very slow. It usually takes 3-5 seconds to switch between screens and it's driving me nuts. Is it just me? Is there something I'm overlooking? (Should I fix some setting?) Is this a well known error that will be fixed soon? Anyone who could shed their light on this would be greatly appreciated ;). PS: If it helps, my pc configuration: Win XP SP2, Quad Core @ 2.5ghz, 3GB RAM, GeForce 9600GT.[/QUOTE] How much other programs do you have going? Any AOL based things will take up a ton of your performance, aswell as things like Style XP. Programs that open on boot also take up memory that you wont get back and can drag down your performance. Go to Start->Run->msconfig then on the top tabs go to start up and remove most of those, you should only have a couple things open on start up at most. Do NOT MESS WITH ANY OTHER TABS.

You could try switching Windows XP SP2 to SP3. It could potentially make you gain 10% in performance. It is supposed to be available on Windows Update. I updated mine the day it became available. Otherwise, Antivirus, Spyware detectors or any other scanners are the first programs that could delay the game.

Yeah, you're not telling the whole story. What do you have running alongside TEW? iTunes, for one, is a resource hog. TEW has no real issues running at the moment and even runs extremely well on Vista. For comparison's sake, my main puter is a Core 2 E6850 @ 3.0 Ghz with 6 gigs of RAM running 64-bit Vista Home Premium with an 8800 Ultra. Right now, I have Firefox with 22 tabs open along with OpenOffice's spreadsheet program, xfire (in the background), and TEW08 and I get no slowdown at all. In fact, I can typically run two MMO clients at once (unless one of them is Age of Conan) along with TEW and only get a slight slowing. Has to do with your config, I think. Mine is optimized for gaming with no trialware or anything of the sort on it.

I don't have anything of note running in the background (the CPU watcher the pc came with and NVidias control screen - which is a hog, but not [i]that[/i] much. Thank you for the suggestion though. Upon switching screens the CPU% used goes up to 24% which, I guess, would equal one core being fully used and the others not at all - that still shouldn't be a problem, each core is clocked at 2.5. The memory footprint for the process doesn't go over 30kb. I'm using a converted T-Zone dataset, which is large, but still it's only a couple of thousand workers, not tens of thousands like championship manager, and the load delay occurs even if only a small number of those are needed (for instance when any worker's profile is loaded: 4 seconds. I'll look into XP, service pack 3. Thanks for the suggestions so far, guys. I really appreciate it.

[QUOTE=ritwik;463856]That is probably because you've [b]6 GB[/b] of RAM. I'll be damned if TEW or anything else ran slow with that much memory.[/QUOTE] Yeah, I'm a RAM whore. I found that with excessive amounts of RAM, even a ghetto video card can work with graphics intensive games. I played EQ2 when it came out on a GeForce 5700LE at 1024x768 on medium settings with no lag, because I had 3 gigs of RAM (which was/is the max 32-bit XP will utilize). And I also read what Moe mentioned about XP not being able to take full advantage of four cores. Maybe SP3 fixed that?

Archived