Wrestling things everyone hated but you loved

shamelessposer

[QUOTE=tristram;470934]You're right, That's 70's Guy was a good gimmick. So was the Fat Chick Thriller..[B] But they weren't suited to Mike Awesome. [/B] Furthermore, you give those gimmicks to guys who need to solidify as a comic routine before you unleash them from the shackles and give them the big push. Awesome was starting to get over, he had his own gimmick match (The Ambulance Match) and if there was anyone who had the killer powerhouse look in WCW it was Mike Awesome. That 70's guy and the Fat Chick Thriller routine took him away from that. So while fantastic gmmicks because frankly they made me laugh, it's not what his career needed - it would be like making Kronik into Jung Dragons, the Dragons have their place, but not with their momentum or physicality.[/QUOTE] But this is where the balance of maintaining the illusion come into play for me. Maybe Awesome and the ambulance thing was a lesser example for the "loved but you hated" thread for me. But whether these gimmicks suited him better in cold, locker room type terms, they APPEARED to suit him so much better than the ambulance match shtick did. I never really bought into Awesome as monster powerhouse. He was far too versatile in his offense for that to ring true. Monster powerhouses weren't supposed to do speed spots for fly through the air as well as Awesome did. That 70's Guy seemed far better suited to his skill set. I understand many would disagree with me. But if he hadn't had these cornball characters, I doubt I'd remember Awesome as fondly or as often I do.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[QUOTE=Destiny;476847]In a topical sense, lots of people have been giving Mike Adamle stick, but I think his work is at least humorous.[/QUOTE] Might as well join the bandwagon here. This is how I see the whole situation. Adamle gave incredible contract, such that even the smarks believe this contract pays well over what he should be making. I think the story was fabricated, kafabe, and is working as intended. Second, make him a horrible announcer, almost purposely having him screw things up time and again, and have the subliminal reactions of the colour commentator help point them out... Not overly, just annoyingly to a very small degree. Third, Put him in the most "Powerfull" Position, without being a McMahan. Subliminal, have it put out as "We have to use him somewhere, because we spend so much on him, he has to Earn his pay." (Kafabe). Fourth, Watch everyone argue/debate, unknowingly getting help from the very people that critique them. Truthfully, Contract could end anytime they wanted it too, if he is doing more harm then good. Just because you have to settle, doesn't mean you have to utilize someone. Quite a few companies (including mine) offer to buy out people's jobs, with a good settlement, to be able to downgrade or upgrade, depending on what they think they are doing.

People may not of hated it, but I loved the way they debuted Mike Sanders in WCW. I don't remember how it went exactly but he got knocked out three times on the one show. He was really entertaining though, and it's too bad he dissapeared from wrestling.

Archived