The Ultimate Alt Pack #1

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kinda my thoughts on the subject but I didn't make any of the alts so...

I just look at it like if you didn't want everyone to use them then don't post them on the internet.

That's about how I feel. I mean, ultimately all the alt artists are adding to and screwing with art someone else did years ago for the original C-verse data when the original render was made.. so what? We should stop doing alts because we can't give the original artists credit?

I say give credit when you can, but on the same token.. we all have the ultimate goal of supporting Adam's games and making them even more fun to play with more content and graphics.. so.. well, unclench, lighten up and thank benjacko for going to all the trouble to do something none of us were willing to.

My official stance is that every alt that I post is free to use for games, diaries, and further alt pics. You can use them in mods as long as you drop me a quick PM to ask permission. Once a pic is used in an official TEW release, I lose all rights and you can use them wherever you want. I'm sufficiently credited by Adam for it to become his problem, not mine.

My only problem... concern... curiosity... is when you introduce an all-powerful system of credit, such as the naming scheme I suggested. If I put a hat, smile and tutu on a guy, I don't want someone else to put the original mouth back on and be able to call that his work. I'm more than happy that it's done. If someone wants an alt like that it's great that they can get it. The guy who put that original mouth back only probably deserves some partial credit.

It's tricky.

I agree completely with everything you've said. (Especially where you said that once Adam releases it with the game, I need no more bigger credit) I don't care if my name is attached to an alt, credit wise, though I do understand it from a logistical standpoint in this pack. And to be honest, there are many alts I've made that I could are less about credit for (i.e. I just put a shirt on them) because I really contributed no creativity. But back to the point, a simple read me or in the original post it should have been stated: Pictures Contributed by so and so. What set me off was that Adam asked for a list and there wasn't one. People obviously didn't care enough to put it together and that bothered me.

As for other peoples attitudes, I shouldn't even bother responding. But, we have the rules set up in the forum for a reason. The same people saying its no big deal, would be tearing me a new one if I released one of the mods adding a couple wrestlers and a promotion and calling it my own, because I've seen it happen. But hey, its just a stupid wrestling mod for a niche wrestling game, no big deal. And its not about having ones names in lights a simple pm saying, "cool if we use your alts?" would have sufficed. But when neither permission is asked nor credit given it is a matter of respect.

And as far as thanking benjacko, I have said that I appreciate what he was trying to do, I only said I wish that all the right steps would have been taken.

I'm doing a notepad list of who made which alt and including it in all the future releases of this pack so that should eliminate any worries about due credit being given.

Thanks Self, I will take out the default pics to reduce the pack overall size :).

I understand what you mean about permission but you realise that getting permission from anyone that put up a alt pic in the 149 pages that I had to go through to put this pack together would have taken a very long time indeed.

I will get permission for future releases however as that'll help diffuse the issue :).

I'm not claiming that I made these alts all by myself as I said that in the first post so it's a bit different in my opinion to someone for example taking a mod without any editing and then releasing as their own creation.

It's my respect for the alt makers that made me put in the effort to put this pack together so the notion of me having a lack of respect by not pming every individual can't be further from the truth.

One reason I missed some alts is because their links in the thread no longer exist so that might be why some are missing.

If you e-mail me them or link me to them, i'm happy to include them in the pack with credit given in the notepad file :).

What I will do is upload a zip containing the alts that I am going to add to the official database, and anyone who doesn't want to give permission can contact me to get their's removed. I think that's the only sensible way to approach it, as otherwise it's going to take ages for me to match pictures to artists.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived