The Wrestler

mjdgoldeneye

<p>When did Saturn appear? I've seen the movie and didn't catch Perry in it, nor did I see him in the ending credits...</p><p> </p><p>

Great movie, it really moved me and showed that wrestling business is tougher than you could even imagine.</p>

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Ransik

Found these statements from WWE and TNA on the movie... got to say I'm not surprised at WWE's statement considering they piss all over everything they didn't make;

WWE

"While 'The Wrestler' is a very engaging movie, it portrays how wrestling was conducted in some independent wrestling circuits, unlike WWE, which is a global brand with millions of fans."

TNA

"We're happy to see professional wrestling in the mainstream spotlight through the movie 'The Wrestler.' Mickey Rourke's performance is nothing short of sensational; Mickey Rourke is the movie. His portrayal of an over-the-hill wrestler struggling to find his own meaning in life has already been talked about as Oscar-worthy, and rightfully so."

Saw it yesterday. It's a good film. Story is good. Direction is good. Performances are good. The low-budget aspects; the natural lighting, the use of handheld cameras, were a great way to really pinpoint the reality of the situation, that a glossy Hollywood production would have obscured.

Basically, for me, it's a case of "not enough swordfights" which is a phrase I use for any film that doesn't have enough scenes that really, really entertain me. Batman Begins is a great example of this. Well constructed film, solid script, great production values, but it doesn't have anything that I personally feel the need to watch again.

The Wrestler slips into this catagory. I'm glad I watched it. It was a good story. There just weren't any "OMG this is awesome" moments. I don't think I'll watch it again. I don't think I'll buy the DVD.

Movie was great. Great spots, liked the way the movie escalated towards the end, liked Rourke's character and acting throughout it all.

I'll agree with Self that there's nothing really.. extraordinary out of the sort, but as a WHOLE, the movie is quite the package. I might watch/get it on DVD myself since I aspire to be a wrestler soon.

And noddage for Marisa Tomei.

please elaborate. id like to know your opinion why, i personally havent seen it but have heard nothing but good things, id like to hear something from someone who didnt like it.

I think it is way over hyped due to it being a mainstream moving about wrestling. Nothing outside of the the stripper being naked in half the scenes made me want to watch it. I think its true to wrestling, and portrays the business very truthfully. The whole time watching it I felt like I was watching the wrestling version of 8 mile or something.

Its watchable but I cannot say I would ever sit down intentionally and watch it again. Passing on tv maybe but never just to sit and view. Its no Shawshank

Yeah. I totally believed the world they created in that movie. It seemed completely authentic to me, based on my experiences going to small shows, and reading various autobiographies and interviews. I'm not sure if non-fans will understand or accept it, but it's just nice that for the first time, the wrestling world is treated as it is, instead of in a campy, condescending manner. The fans in the movie weren't portrayed in the greatest of lights, cheering on the carnage as they were, but at least there was a realism to that (let's face it, we're not the most sophisticated bunch) as opposed to how they're portrayed in Ready To Rumble and any TNA Fan Interaction segment.

Archived