Am I the only one who finds the Match Styles to be a bit silly? In my eyes the match style really depends on the wrestlers who participate in the match. Let's take Hell in a Cell for instance: the first Hell in a Cell was a totally different animal than the current version. The purpose of the Cell in 1997 was to prevent Shawn from running away from the Undertaker and make sure no one interferes. Then the year after that Mick Foley turned the whole concept into a hardcore spot hell.

Also, the Ladder match between Jericho and You-Know-Who at the 2001 Royal Rumble was way different than most WWE Ladder matches were during that timeframe. Am I making any sense?

Eh, I can see the arguements for and against.

For represents the fundamentals involved with the ring gimmick. A cage match is going to have them bashing each other's heads against the wall and dragging each other off, making it more like a brawl.

Ladder match is going to have some flashy aerial moves or at least a big elbow drop form the top or something along those lines.

Against is like you said, it depends on the workers. You stick to spot monkeys in a cage match and you're going to get a spot fest, not much of a brawl.

I do sort of agree with you Teemu, but to a certain extent, some matches are geared towards certain things. Stick two Brawlers in a cage match, and they'll have far more 'fun' with the new environment than two spot monkeys will. At the end of the day, it's a ring with a steel cage around it. There's nothing a spot monkey can do with that, except take their usual top rope moves to the top of the cage. It'd be a regular match for them, just with something higher to jump off. Two pure technicians in a cage wouldn't be able to do much at all with the environment, except become brawlers for the day

I don't think there's much of an argument against Submission matches being largely technical affairs, either. Not for technicians... technical matches. There's a difference, just ask Steve Austin.

But I do agree that ladder matches should be for everyone. I think the WWE has pretty much proven that to be the case, since The Hardys, Edge and Christian, Benoit and Jericho have all been in great ladder matches, and I'd assume Foley has been too though to be honest I can't remember one, and that'd be pretty much every major style covered...

The only matches that have specific styles that I know of are:

Hardcore - hardcore skill..duh

Coal Miner/Strap Match/Cage/Tuxedo - brawler

House of Fun - high fliers

This isn't a complete list, but just looking at it you can see that the few that go towards a specific style are fairly appropriate.

Archived