DOTM: July Nominations

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So me being an idiot American does anybody talk like Regal in England? Very proper and what not?

Only when traveling abroad... either that or it's only noticeable when traveling abroad... I do tend to run a Ye Olde English Gentleman gimmick whenever I'm in Spain

P.S. I know I'm Welsh, but my accent is 87% English, with only a slight Welshman's lilt when I say certain words. Like "Woolworths" for some reason.

So me being an idiot American does anybody talk like Regal in England? Very proper and what not?

It should be noted that Regal's accent is not proper. I don't live far from Blackpool, and anyone here who hears a Regal promo bursts out laughing at the implication that he's got an upper-class accent.

His phrasing's very good, but that varies in any country.

Only when traveling abroad... either that or it's only noticeable when traveling abroad... I do tend to run a Ye Olde English Gentleman gimmick whenever I'm in Spain

P.S. I know I'm Welsh, but my accent is 87% English, with only a slight Welshman's lilt when I say certain words. Like "Woolworths" for some reason.

I knew there was a reason FCK is awesome. Other than, you know, all the reasons and stuff. :D

We need a proper Welsh pro wrestler. I mean, Adrian Street? :(

And Rob Terry doesn't count... because... because... yeah! He's from Swansea. That's not real Wales!

YouTube 'Coronation Street' for an example of how you might expect someone like Regal to sound. Those folks aren't Blackpool natives - they just go there on day trips. EastEnders is the (East) London equivalent, while Brookside was the Liverpool soap, although that's been off the air for five years now.

You could do worse than look at BuffyTVS for a fairly decent English accent/vocab - The interplay between Spike and Giles is a fun way of picking up some of the British nuances, especially as the two represent very different cultural backgrounds.

YouTube 'Coronation Street' for an example of how you might expect someone like Regal to sound. Those folks aren't Blackpool natives - they just go there on day trips. EastEnders is the (East) London equivalent, while Brookside was the Liverpool soap, although that's been off the air for five years now.

The problem with using soaps as an argument is it leads to assuming Hollyoaks to depict ANYTHING REMOTELY LIKE Chester.

It should be noted that Regal's accent is not proper. I don't live far from Blackpool, and anyone here who hears a Regal promo bursts out laughing at the implication that he's got an upper-class accent.

His phrasing's very good, but that varies in any country.

Kind of responding to both in one.

Regal doesn't have a particularly upper-crust accent at all. He sounds like what he is: an average guy from North-West England.

As Phantom says, though, he speaks the language well regardless of accent. His phrasing, grammar and usage is generally officially correct from what I've heard but that's just education and influence, I guess.

I'm always told that I speak "the Queen's English" i.e. my words are official and correct. However, there's no doubt I have a heavy West London accent which is, in no way, upper-class.

In the eternal words of Stan Bowles, "listen 'ere, son, if ya can't talk propa, shut ya maaf!"

P.S. I know I'm Welsh

Look, I have done the polite thing in trying my best to ignore this skeleton in your closet but if you have to bring it up, it makes life much harder :D.

Quote The Raven

Nevermore

Its something to do with a rookie is considered a rookie for an entire month and I think unless you were to start on July 1st you would still be considered a rookie in August as well thus not making you able to compete for non rookie until September. I could be wrong and most likely am but thats the only way it makes sense to me so thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Its something to do with a rookie is considered a rookie for an entire month and I think unless you were to start on July 1st you would still be considered a rookie in August as well thus not making you able to compete for non rookie until September. I could be wrong and most likely am but thats the only way it makes sense to me so thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

you nailed it.

Any diary started after July 1, won't be eligable for prime time until Sept DOTM

Unless you win the Rookie. ;)

You are quite right, but I figured I would take it over to the legal department and see what they had to say about rookie diaries and when they are eligible for what.

#6: Rookie DOTM:any diary started since the first of the prior month , the only post requirement for rookie is one show in the current month. (none diary threads are no longer eligible)

#7: You CAN nominate the the winners from last month's Rookie Category to the full awards regardless of start date

I went and had a talk with my lawyer, and his technically answer is:

That unlike the full awards, a rookie diary could be nominated to two consecutive months of rookie awards. Were a diary to win it's first month, there is no rule AGAINST it appearing in the rookie category.

And Upon further reflection the Lawyer said there might even be cases in which a Rookie had to go for a repeat win. Should a diary win its first month, but not meet the minimum show requirement of 8 for the full awards, the writer might wish to again be represented in the rookie category.

I highly discourage the use of this loop hole, but my lawyer does have a point, and I may need to slightly change the wording of the rules to close it at some future point. :D

Archived