DOTM: Cornellverse Poll

DOTM: Cornellverse Poll  

69 members have voted

1. 1. DOTM: Cornellverse Poll

• BigPapa42's "SWF: Generation Supreme"
    • Comradebot's "EWA: Why People Almost Care About Wrestling In Europe, But Hate Themselves For It"
    • Tigerkinney's "Puerto Rican Self Preservation Society: Version 2.0 (Cornellverse)"
    • Self's "Cverse Draft 2009: Frontier Combat Kingdom"
    • Eisen-verse's "PSW: The Evolution of Greed"
    • Nevermore's "MoSC: The Worst Of British Wrestling"
    • James Casey's "MAW: Ten Simple Rules"
    • SeanMcfly's "NOTBPW : Set in Stone"

Awesome.

I have to say that while I’m glad to have won, I’m REALLY glad to have won in this particular month. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I assumed I was being rated purely on the quality of “Chapter 3” of my diary. The 3-Way Stable War leading to the “FCK Going To War!” PPV. I had been building to this event since the very beginning, so seeing the culmination being so well received means a lot.

I never thought I’d do a diary. Even though I knew I had a lot of the skills (I roleplayed as Edd Stone in a TCW efed for a time, and have a degree in Media Production, specializing in Screenwriting) I always thought there was a “Look at me!” smugness to diaries. I thought it was people bragging about how good they were at TEW, as opposed to the awesome creative platform I now know it to be. Despite my misgivings, I had toyed with the idea of doing a CGC or NOTBPW diary a few times, but the DeColts never seemed to have the inner conflict necessary for real long-term drama, and the NOTBPW product was too ‘pure wrestling’ for me to enjoy writing it. It wasn’t until I participated in derek_b’s C-Verse draft, many moons ago, that everything fell into place. I believe it was after my 4th draft pick (the one, the only, Edd Stone) that I decided to turn my drafted roster into a diary, and it was after my 10th pick (Adrian Garcia) that I came up with the “FCK Going To War!” storyline. This chapter had been in my mind before I knew what my full roster was going to be, before I knew who my characters were, it even predates the ‘Frontier Combat Kingdom’ name. It played a key role in the genesis of the project, so I’m really happy it came off as well as it did, well enough to win this month’s competition.

Not to say I think it’s perfect. A few characters didn’t get the focus they needed. Certain scenes got cut due to time. Others never quite worked out how they were supposed to. Still, all in all I’m pretty proud. People seemed to ‘get’ the message, and respond to particular characters for their actions instead of a rigid Babyface/Heel divide. Could it have worked better with just two sides? A “Good” team and a “Bad” team? Perhaps on some level. I however found having three teams to be a more interesting approach, allowing me to play with general wrestling conventions and explore what works, and what doesn’t.

I’m currently on diary-hiatus until September. Simply put, I’m burned out. A lot of effort goes into these shows, and with work and other career-orientated projects, FCK takes up too much of my time to be a constant thing. I’ll be back in September with Chapter 4, which I’m getting more excited about every day.

Thanks to everyone who voted for me, everyone who voted in the competition, everyone who has commented on my work, everyone who has taken the time to read it, and everyone involved with the diary community on this site, and TEW in general. Writing wrestling has always been a dream of mine, and it’s fantastic to have a platform where I can do just that.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived