DOTM: Cornellverse Poll

DOTM: Cornellverse Poll  

69 members have voted

1. 1. DOTM: Cornellverse Poll

• BigPapa42's "SWF: Generation Supreme"
    • Comradebot's "EWA: Why People Almost Care About Wrestling In Europe, But Hate Themselves For It"
    • Tigerkinney's "Puerto Rican Self Preservation Society: Version 2.0 (Cornellverse)"
    • Self's "Cverse Draft 2009: Frontier Combat Kingdom"
    • Eisen-verse's "PSW: The Evolution of Greed"
    • Nevermore's "MoSC: The Worst Of British Wrestling"
    • James Casey's "MAW: Ten Simple Rules"
    • SeanMcfly's "NOTBPW : Set in Stone"

Cornellverse DOTM nominee's:

• [thread=35327]BigPapa42's "SWF: Generation Supreme"[/thread]
  • [thread=41612]Comradebot's "EWA: Why People Almost Care About Wrestling In Europe, But Hate Themselves For It"[/thread]
  • [thread=33304]Tigerkinney's "Puerto Rican Self Preservation Society: Version 2.0 (Cornellverse)"[/thread]
  • [thread=38742]Self's "Cverse Draft 2009: Frontier Combat Kingdom"[/thread]
  • [thread=45563]Eisen-verse's "PSW: The Evolution of Greed"[/thread]
  • [thread=32960]Nevermore's "MoSC: The Worst Of British Wrestling"[/thread]
  • [thread=32191]James Casey's "MAW: Ten Simple Rules"[/thread]
  • [thread=43371]SeanMcfly's "NOTBPW : Set in Stone"[/thread]

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TOTALLY ALPHA BABY

now where's my bull shark testosterone....

Comradebot's work is certain tempting to get my vote. Funny and engaging. As usual however, I'll be reading an episode of all of the nominees before laying it down. The others are going to have to pull out stops to measure up against whale-punching Alpha Norwegians though, so be warned.

Seems my old foe BigPapa has the lead on me so far. He creamed my corn in March. We went to a time-limit draw in May. Will July be my month, or is the little Canadian promotion that could going to come up short once again against the A* Giant? It's still anyone's race though. Could a dark horse emerge to clean both of our shiny, award-winning clocks?

I was going to save this for the next nominations, but i can't trust my memory on it.

I must concede an element of frustration regarding the endless cycle of BigPapa's SWF/James Casey's MAW/Tigerkinney's FCW (and until recently, Phantom Stranger's PPPW) being nominated, and then one of them winning.

Admittedly i'm not a regular subscriber of any, though i've infrequently read through them. I'll take the community's opinion of regarding them all as stellar diaries as gospel though, and they all clearly put a huge amount of effort in...

But isn't winning DOTM nothing more than an ego stroke of an exercise by now? They've all been going for months and months, surely they realise that they're a treasured part of community, and that by competing in this poll they're just taking votes away from the young upstarts?

By no means am i criticising those 3 here, I just think we all know that they're good diaries by now. Can't we recognise other good diaries whilst acknowledging that?

I was going to save this for the next nominations, but i can't trust my memory on it.

I must concede an element of frustration regarding the endless cycle of BigPapa's SWF/James Casey's MAW/Tigerkinney's FCW (and until recently, Phantom Stranger's PPPW) being nominated, and then one of them winning.

Admittedly i'm not a regular subscriber of any, though i've infrequently read through them. I'll take the community's opinion of regarding them all as stellar diaries as gospel though, and they all clearly put a huge amount of effort in...

But isn't winning DOTM nothing more than an ego stroke of an exercise by now? They've all been going for months and months, surely they realise that they're a treasured part of community, and that by competing in this poll they're just taking votes away from the young upstarts?

By no means am i criticising those 3 here, I just think we all know that they're good diaries by now. Can't we recognise other good diaries whilst acknowledging that?

Hmm..perhaps a seperation of categories for diaries that have been around a long time, or won a lot of awards? Maybe have a "Main Event" type voting, so they can still be crowned, but allow others some glory as well?

In my opinion it's the opposite. It just goes to show each and everyone here that a good diary needs a lot, a lot of work for it to succeed: In general, and in DOTM polls. If we should just exclude the previous winners (Let's say three wins and you are out) it would be like WWE's title picture nowadays: If you are on the roster, you will win championship belts, atleast Tag Team or Intercontinental/US, compared to old days where you had to actually work your way trough and pay your dues within the industry to get some recognition. :p And hey, most of the diaries you mentioned are long-running diaries that really deserve the credit they've been given.

[jibberish]If I would would have had the desire to continue my previous diaries, there would be 4-5 diaries in the cycle :D)[/jibberish]

Well, looking at the Hall of Records it isn't overly monotonous.

BigPapa's only won twice (one being a tie) Phantom Stranger's got 1. TigerKinney's most recent work has 1. James Casey's the only real veteran contender, with 4, but he hasn't won in many months. It would be interesting to track the trends on this. What storylines brought in the votes? For example, this month I see myself as being voted on purely for my "FCK Going To War" arc which ran for the past 8 weeks. Was it strong enough to win, or was "FCK Easter" better?

Diaries evolve. Sometimes they go stale. Sometimes something clicks and interest rises. Although to an outside observer it may seem like a case of the usual suspects, to those suspects it could be an interesting struggle, a booking war if you will.

I proposed an idea awhile ago where once you win a DotM you get knocked out of the competition until the year was out and after quite a bit of debate, we decided that we didn't want the DotM being "watered down."

If James Casey or TK or BigPapa or PhantomStranger can continually beat out every other diary out there, then they deserve it. Hopefully with this recent influx of rookies and longstanding diaries that this won't be the case.

I think if a writer chooses to withdraw from the race, that's their decision. We shouldn't encourage them because why should we discourage someone from writing an awesome diary.

Personally, I'm just happy to be nominated, to be considered of quality to be up in the standings with those guys. And now that we're recording the nominees (thanks mistaken) my diary is "immortalized" if not on the front page.

It's something to strive for and that means that victory truly is a victory. You didn't win just because yours was the only diary people were left. Instead, those months where TK or James Casey were actually beaten, those diary writers can feel proud that they fought toe to toe with veterans and HoFers on equal grounds and won.

As someone who got nominated for Real World DOTM every month for a year, and never won it, I've got to say it is a tad frustrating to lose to the same guys all the time (which is why I invented the two month rule ;)), but it just inspires you to work harder at it, because you're thinking "Next month I'll beat Nevvy and Tristram, and Wildfire and oh my god, I'm screwed..."

If people are that good they can win multiple awards, who are we to take that away?

I can not really call this monotony.

in the cornelvers there have been 9 winners in the last 13 months

phantom -1

self - 1

big papa - 2

Finisher - 1

James Casey - 4

Tiger Kinney - 1

infinitywpi - 2

noneck - 1

mcshamrock - 1

and only 3 writers that have repeated. I will admit James Casey had an awe inspiring 7 month window. but really it is not like in 12 months we have had 6 winners. and I don't see James running way. and while we do have two veterans at the top this month, for the last 3 months we have had first time winners.

Hey if they had the best dairy, give you others something to shoot for.

but for the record, I went and looked at the 10 longest running diaries on the board, they have all been rewarded for persistence and quality. so I have to believe that should you provide the same, you to will be rewarded with a win.

Now as for the rookie DOTM, I think we might want to discuss a rule that previous full DOTM winners new diaries are not eligible. (not sure I like that, but would be a better discussion)

I'm not going to say much on this topic, as I think its tough to have an unbiased point of view in my case...

I can certainly understand the desire to not just have a "same old" club month after month. But I don't think we have that at this point. If we have reached a point where there are diaries which are undeserving in terms of their output for a given month still not just getting a DOTM nomination but votes based on just their reputation, then I could see a serious concern. But are we hitting that point? Change for the sake of change seems like a bad idea to me. If we take the DOTM from "the best diary in a given month" to "the best diary that hasn't won before or recently", does the recognition mean the same? As a writer, I definitely understand the frustration of getting a nomination but not winning - Gen-S was running for 6 months before I won one, and I'm pretty sure I was nominated about four times (once rookie) in that period. As Mistaken says, perseverance pays off.

Now regarding voting this month, holy hell what a hard choice. I would be comfortable throwing my vote at any nominee this month, but I would definitely guilty over who I didn't vote for. With an appreciative nod to the great work that so many great writers have put out this month, I ended up going with Eisen-Verse's PSW, in part because I know the work he's putting in to creating a unique product and compelling characters.

My X-WA diary didn't really get this far (as in making it past the rookie DOTM), So it's really really cool to see my PSW diary in the running. Hopefully, as the months go on, I can consistently stay as a respected diary as that means I'm doing the kind of work that inspires others to respond.

Thank you to those who voted thus far for PSW. There is an extremely deep pool this month... (as in any month)... I'm having a hard time making my own judgement on who should win.

BigPapa's SWF diary is a personal fav. of mine. I'm a huge fan of "The Land of Supreme" and feel like his approach is quite close to what SWF would seem like in real life.

With that being said, There are so many other great diaries up this month... I'm going to have to mull it over a little longer.

Great work to everyone though!

Tough call this month... between BP, Self, and Eisen-Verse, I'm really sorta torn.

I'll probably go through and read at least there work for July, if not everything in its entirety.

As for the system for voting for DOTM, I think it's okay as it is. The only real "dominant" diary since 08 was released is JC's MAW, but it's not like he's won half the awards. If you manage to have a diary that runs that long and garners that much attention, then I feel you deserve to be awarded for it. All seperating the "elite" diaries would do is create a division between them and the other diaries, and that'd be bad.

I agree with... pretty much everyone. DOTM should be DOTM, not 'Diary of the month other than X, Y and Z".

I fully understand how frustrating it can be to be nominated for long periods and never win, but at the end of the day it's a fun little poll to see who everyone's favourite diary is this month. If it's not yours, and you want it to be yours, you can always improve your diary...

We can't go creating separate 'divisions' for people who 'always win'. Otherwise when you do win, what would you have won? "Woo, now that all the diaries people like more than mine are out of the way, I'm DOTM!" What would that achieve? Other than stroking your own ego?

If your sports team loses out in the championship one year, you don't simply ban everyone that beat you. You try harder next time.

Now, like BP42 said, IF people were voting for people just because of their reputation, or just because 'they've won in the past so they must be good', then that could be an issue. But I don't think that's happening. If Gen-S ends up winning, and in September all he posts is two half-arsed shows and still wins, THEN we'd have reason to review the situation. But I voted for him this month because we've had a good PPV, a brilliantly-executed heel turn for one of the top stars, and we've been building towards two matches (at least) for the next PPV that I, as a reader of a bunch of text on a forum, really want to read. Which is something special, I think.

So regarding the DOTM system, if it ain't broke...

Even though I do get nominated every month, I've actually only won DOTM once with my FCW diary but do I get hung up over the fact that my diary has only won it once ?

Not at all, because every month mine is amongst other great diaries, be it from the 'old guard' or new-comers. Now I'll admit to not reading every diary that is in the poll this month on a regular basis but that's more to the fact that we all only have so many hours in a day and my life doesn't entirely revolve around playing TEW, writing my diary and reading the GDS forums...that would be a bit sad wouldn't it ?

At the end of the day we all have our favourites (mine being BigPapa's SWF diary) but sometimes a persistent appearance in DOTM can change people's minds; I wasn't on board with James Casey's MAW diary at the start but in the end the fact that it did keep getting nominated, I finally gave in and glad that I did because in my opinion it lived up to the 'hype'.

I will say that several months back, there was a bit of an issue (in my opinion) during a run where MAW: 10 Simple rules seemed to win every other month. I'm not saying that Casey didn't deserve to win those months but during those months he did receive a lot of votes from 'lurker types' who only really appeared to read that diary. It was like I would see these same names (who contributed very little/or not all to the GDS forums) popping up in the voting for his diary every other month. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

Y'know, I say it every month I'm in the Cornellverse competition, and just because I'm in a different one this month doesn't change it:

There's a real competition here. And I like that. I like that most months I really don't know who to give my vote to immediately.

I like that I have to sit there and think about the MAW Cage War, Daniels' heel turn, Raul Hughes stiffing the hell out of Sam Strong, alpha Norwegians and theta Belgians, a stable war that actually is splitting a small Scottish company in two, and all the rest before I can decide.

Anything we do to reduce the field reduces the competition, and in its way, that's a real shame.

Possibly because it's once more become a discussion whether the current way of doing things is the right way? ;)

I think what we have works fine - there's no point separating diaries when we all post under the same restrictions and so on. 10SR may have 4 wins, but not in the last six months or so - and at the start of the month, we all roll over and start again, as it were.

And yes, this is a strong field - it always is. Everyone will have their favourite, and I can't claim to be familiar with all of them. For me, the choice is between John Greed's PSW, and SWF Gen-S... I'll get caught up on PSW before I cast my vote.

Although I really don't get around to reading and replying to anywhere near as many diaries as I'd like to (let alone writing anymore), I thought I'd throw my hat into the opinion ring.

Personally, DOTM works fine as it is. I can understand the frustration that realistically, each month only one of a select few diaries is likely to win (regardless of who else is nominated), but that should only inspire other writers (especially newer ones) to try and get their work as recognised. It's not easy, granted, but why penalise the writers who have created long-running, well planned and structured diaries that have earnt their regular readers/voters? Besides, even if you tilt the balance to favour newer diaries, the ones that keep going will only recreate the same problem a couple of months down the line.

If you want a competition, then keep it pure and competitive. As soon as you start to try and control or manipulate the results, then you might as well not bother with it.

Comradebot has my vote. It's a nice change from the ever dominant SWF.

I mean who doesn't like Bam Bam, a guy who talks to a robot owl, the Soviets and especially the Big Bad.

I like how he has introduced Doulbe Dutch and the Wild Hawgs to breathe in new life to his tag division. Hopefully we will see new tag teams emerge and compete for the belts as well.

Waiting for the moment Hercules just snaps and completes his heel turn on his brother, and drunken Bam Bam is funny in general.

The thing I didn't like was the sudden push of El Brisa. I mean it seemed to come out of no where with no real build up hopeful you can explain more in future updates.

I think the women's division needs to be featured more.

Byron could be a a big heel in the company but I fear if he is pushed that high and gets a world title reign he may use his creative control and pull a Hogan and not lose the title.

Plus Byron sucks since C-Bot can't bring in my boy Larry Wood to dominate the scene.

Comradebot has my vote. It's a nice change from the ever dominant SWF.

I mean who doesn't like Bam Bam, a guy who talks to a robot owl, the Soviets and especially the Big Bad.

I like how he has introduced Doulbe Dutch and the Wild Hawgs to breathe in new life to his tag division. Hopefully we will see new tag teams emerge and compete for the belts as well.

Waiting for the moment Hercules just snaps and completes his heel turn on his brother, and drunken Bam Bam is funny in general.

The thing I didn't like was the sudden push of El Brisa. I mean it seemed to come out of no where with no real build up hopeful you can explain more in future updates.

I think the women's division needs to be featured more.

Byron could be a a big heel in the company but I fear if he is pushed that high and gets a world title reign he may use his creative control and pull a Hogan and not lose the title.

Plus Byron sucks since C-Bot can't bring in my boy Larry Wood to dominate the scene.

Thanks for the vote and the honest opinions, Jman.

And don't worry, I think everything with El Brisa will become a lot more clear soon enough. Gonna throw down some more of those EWA flashbacks I promised a while back, as knowledge of what happened in the early summer of 2010 is kinda needed for the story. So it currently makes perfect sense to me, but only me. And as it stands, that's a problem. Thankfully, it has nothing to do with the EWA Olympics, may that terrible idea rot for all eternity.

Archived