Summerslam 2009

Self

With "the Wrestlemania of the Summer" almost here, I was just wondering who's going to be buying the show? Here's the final card, as reported by some newz site.

WWE Championship: Randy Orton vs John Cena

World Championship TLC: Jeff Hardy vs CM Punk

ECW Championship: Christian vs William Regal

Unified Tag Championships: Jericho & Big Show vs Cryme Tyme

Intercontinental Championship: Rey Mysterio vs Dolph Ziggler

D-Generation X vs Legacy

The Great Khali vs Kane

MVP vs Jack Swagger

Not the most exciting card. I have a certain amount of interest in Punk/Hardy, due to the Jeff rumours, Matt's return, and, well, ladders are always fun. Christian/Regal is something I can't remember seeing much before, so that could also be good. Everything else I've either seen or don't care to see.

My flatmate has talked about getting the show (don't ask why, I haven't a clue) so I'll probably end up watching it regardless. WHO'S WITH ME???

/tumbleweed

Aww...

<p>As there is no way for me to get it legally ill get it some other way and give it a glance. Only Jeff vs Punk really excites me and I always like to see Christian and Jericho.</p><p> </p><p>

On Jeff the news sites are reporting he will be at the next Smackdown tapings and then gone till early 2010 as he tries some other stuff and if that doesn't work out will return.</p>

I just ordered it, actually. Have a few people coming over. First WWE PPV I've ordered in forever (literally). I've actually been to a PPV (WM 25) more recently than I've purchased one. The card has become more intriguing over time, but I still don't think its fantastic. Should at least be entertaining.

<p>I won't stay up for this one as it starts about 3AM midnight here. I'm not sure why I stayed up for TNA's Hard Justice just.. Was it last sunday? Whatever. I shall review this PPV.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>WWE Championship: Randy Orton vs John Cena</strong></p><p>

I just plain don't want to see this, period. Both Orton and Cena are getting really, really stale, especially Cena.. I can't stress out the case on Cena enough. This will be another boring Orton/Cena match that will drag the overall quality (if there even is any in this PPV) of the PPV down, like any RAW main event lately on WWE PPV's. I don't like either man as a champion so it's a lose-lose to me personally.</p><p> </p><p>

</p><div style="text-align:left;"><p> <strong>World Championship TLC: Jeff Hardy vs CM Punk</strong></p><p>

Their last match was one of the worst they've had, but this will surely steal the show. TLC with CM Punk and Jeff Hardy, how good can the setup be? I hope that they will go all out and show the RAW guys what SD! is capable of. I'm not sure if I want CM Punk to win since the belt will lose a lot of prestige (if there's any left) because of the constant title changes WWE has been doing lately.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>ECW Championship: Christian vs William Regal</strong></p><p><strong>

Unified Tag Championships: Jericho & Big Show vs Cryme Tyme</strong></p><p><strong>

Intercontinental Championship: Rey Mysterio vs Dolph Ziggler</strong></p><p><strong>

D-Generation X vs Legacy</strong></p><p><strong>

The Great Khali vs Kane</strong></p><p><strong>

MVP vs Jack Swagger</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong>

</strong>Rest of the matches are just .. Waste of time. C'mon, everyone of those matches will be boring. I WISH that there will be somesort of swerve in that DX match, either Shawn turns on HHH or vice versa, I would love to see either one of those heel once again. It seems as if it's just midcarders vs. lower midcarders on the PPV. It's sad to see Kane being shoved to yet another crappy storyline, seriously. Kane has received the worst storylines during his career. Give him the World championship, he deserves it more than anyone on the roster.</p><p>

</p></div><p></p><p></p>

<p>I find it incredible how the WWE can have not one, not two but THREE brands and still can't provide an overall interesting card for their PPVs.</p><p> </p><p>

Sure, Cena is the biggest face of WWE right now and Orton is the biggest heel. On paper and interesting match and I can't blame them if they make that the main event (though it doesn't sound like it). I don't like Cena and have grown a bit bored of Orton (due to the way they book him, mostly), so it does nothing for me - but I achnowledge that it's a big match. But what else do they have? Jeff Hardy vs. Punk will probably be the best match of the card, especially since it's got the preresequites for some good spots. The return of DX (which shouldn't have happened, really) will likely appeal to a lot of people, but they're old and washed out... and Rhodes and DiBiase just aren't (yet, due to poor booking) as interesting as they could/should be. Not main event worthy.</p><p> </p><p>

And the rest of the card is pretty much just "meh". Jericho and Christian, as Hyde Hill mentions, are very talented workers - but not very engaging when always used as random "who gives a ****" midcard fillings... </p><p> </p><p>

And really, why is it that PPVs never bring anything new to the table anymore? I just-rewatched an old WCW PPV today, Halloween Havoc from '95. By no means a great PPV, but the main event was Hogan vs. The Giant - which was the first time they met. In fact, it was the first match The Giant ever wrestled. They had him attacking Hogan and his allies for a few months prior to this, leaving a hype and a great buzz. But nowadays, PPV matches are just the same matches that has been headlining RAW/Smackdown for the last month or two (and all their house shows). There's nothing new to it. No new matchups. Mysterio vs Ziggler take #23. Yawn.</p>

<p>The build for Punk/Jeff has been pretty good. It's a shame Jeff could be leaving, because their characters are just so perfectly opposite, it really works. I believe that these two characters would hate each other. Punk would hate the drug-taking screw-up who all the fans cheer for. Hardy would hate the preachy loudmouth who tell him his way of life is wrong. It's more than a "I want your belt" feud. It's more. It's better. </p><p> </p><p>

The babyface/heel divide on it is a little weird, in that family friendly WWE are pushing the addict as the hero, and some of Punks promos have been a tad too comedic IMO, but by and large this has been a great feud. I'd love 3-4 months more of it so they can really hit their stride.</p>

Thing with Cena/Orton is that when they did it two years ago it had a proper, actual feud. Now it's just thrown together. Still it could be an entertaining main event if they do what they needed to do at Mania and overbook the ending a little, have some run ins to add to the excitement and build the ppv to an actual climax.

<p>predictions </p><p> </p><p>

WWE Championship: Randy Orton vs <strong>John Cena</strong></p><p>

Sadly i'm afraid Cena will regain the title, personally i think orton is doing an outstanding job as champion so dont want to see him loose. </p><p> </p><p>

World Championship TLC: Jeff Hardy vs <strong>CM Punk</strong></p><p>

No brainer on who will win since Jeff Hardy is leaving WWE</p><p> </p><p>

ECW Championship: Christian vs <strong>William Regal</strong></p><p>

I say its Regals time to become a champion, and he can shine on EcW and make it his show</p><p> </p><p>

Unified Tag Championships: <strong>Jericho & Big Show</strong> vs Cryme Tyme</p><p>

i just dont see Y2J/Show loosing the belts to Cryme Tyme</p><p> </p><p>

Intercontinental Championship: Rey Mysterio vs <strong>Dolph Ziggler</strong></p><p>

Hoping for ziggler, but to keep Mysterio happy he'll most likely get a longer title run</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>D-Generation X</strong> vs Legacy</p><p>

no brain, HHH jobbed on raw Legacy will be buried on Summerslam </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>The Great Khali</strong> vs Kane</p><p>

Hoping for Kane, but Khali will most likely win , don't get why they still keep him around for</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>MVP</strong> vs Jack Swagger</p><p>

MVP all the way, i just can't stand Swagger</p><p> </p><p>

This is a lame card, got to be one of the weakest summerslam in years.</p>

<p>Not a Prediction guy, so here's who I want to win. </p><p> </p><p>

WWE Championship: <strong>Randy Orton</strong> vs John Cena - <em>I semi-mark for Orton. I'll find 87% of his matches worse than watching paint dry, but that other 13% when he's going nutty, stalking folks for the RKO or getting ready to punt... I get into it. Plus I think when he kicked Vince in the head it was an awesome babyface move, and no matter how many times he sells for Shane I remember that... Either that or I'm just being seduced by the sheer shininess or his thighs.</em></p><p> </p><p>

World Championship TLC: <strong>Jeff Hardy</strong> vs CM Punk - <em>Hardy mark</em></p><p> </p><p>

ECW Championship: <strong>Christian</strong> vs William Regal - <em>E&C mark</em></p><p> </p><p>

Unified Tag Championships: <strong>Jericho & Big Show</strong> vs Cryme Tyme - <em>While I don't begrudge them their push, I don't like Cryme Tyme. They're not my cup of tea, and there's nothing wrong with that.</em></p><p> </p><p>

Intercontinental Championship: <strong>Rey Mysterio</strong> vs Dolph Ziggler - <em>I legit don't like Dolph Ziggler. It's not "go away" heat or "make a cup of tea" apathy. It's good, clean "I want to see this guy get his ass kicked" heat. I want Rey to kick his ass.</em></p><p> </p><p>

D-Generation X vs <strong>Legacy</strong> - <em>I mark for Midcard Heel Tag Teams.</em></p><p> </p><p>

The Great Khali vs <strong>Kane</strong> - <em>I mark for the little guy.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>MVP</strong> vs Jack Swagger - <em>Ballin'</em></p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="The Shape" data-cite="The Shape" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="24299" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Thing with Cena/Orton is that when they did it two years ago it had a proper, actual feud. Now it's just thrown together. Still it could be an entertaining main event if they do what they needed to do at Mania and overbook the ending a little, have some run ins to add to the excitement and build the ppv to an actual climax.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Actually it's kind of funny, their current fued has literally been the exact same as their last one so far, just with Orton as the champion this time. In 2007, Cena was the champion and the night after their July PPV Orton was named the #1 Contender at SummerSlam. This year, Orton is the champion and the night after their July PPV Cena won the #1 Contendership at SummerSlam. Of course, it turned out to be a hell of a fued back then, so hopefully the same will be the case now.</p><p> </p><p> It'll be interesting to see what the main event is. IMO it has to be Hardy vs. Punk. It's the match with the longest build, it's a gimmick match for the World title, and it damn well better be the best match. Normally I wouldn't want the main event to be a match where everybody knows the outcome (one of the reasons why the DX match can't main event), but I think there's still some intrigue here. How is Hardy going to be written off? Punk's been talking about how he has to end Jeff Hardy, and we all know Jeff's leaving, so they probably have some insane spot planned for the end of that match. Given that it's a TLC match, and Jeff Hardy we're talking about, just about anything is possible.</p><p> </p><p> And this was the first time I really sat down and looked at the card, and...wow, lame. MVP vs. Swagger just happened on Raw, I'm pretty sure Mysterio vs. Swagger has been on Smackdown! at least once. Ok, DX reunion, we know how that match is going to go. How many times have we seen Khali vs. Kane? I guess the ECW title match is kind of intriguing...</p>

<p>WWE Championship: Randy Orton vs <strong>John Cena</strong></p><p>

World Championship TLC: Jeff Hardy vs<strong> CM Punk</strong></p><p>

ECW Championship: <strong>Christian</strong> vs William Regal</p><p>

Unified Tag Championships: Jericho & Big Show vs <strong>Cryme Tyme</strong></p><p>

Intercontinental Championship: <strong>Rey Mysterio</strong> vs Dolph Ziggler</p><p>

<strong>D-Generation X</strong> vs Legacy</p><p>

The Great Khali vs <strong>Kane</strong></p><p>

<strong>MVP</strong> vs Jack Swagger</p><p> </p><p>

these are the people i think will win based off of the last tv shows as all the people i have marked to win got attacked or lost a match this pass week and they need to get their revenge besides the MVP Jack Swagger as i can't remember what happened between those two this pass week.</p>

<p>Decent start so far. I thought the opening DX skit was pretty funny. These guys get a bunch of smark heat for "burying" folks, and I can see that, but at the same time they're fine comedic actors who don't take themselves too seriously either. Awesome midcard act. They should be tag champions. I'd love a feud between them and the Hart Foundation... Although I'd imagine Bret would get mocked a bit.</p><p> </p><p>

Fine opening match too. Rey Rey is always fun to watch.</p><p> </p><p>

And I loved that MVP promo. For the first time since turning Babyface, I understand his character, and I like it. Go MVP!</p>

<p>Rey Rey retained his Intercontinental Title over Dolph. Clean.</p><p>

MVP beat Jack Swagger. Clean.</p><p>

Big Show & Jericho retained the tag titles over Cryme Time. Fairly clean.</p><p> </p><p>

CM Punk just cut an AWESOME anti-Hollywood promo, insulting "Kate Gosling" and "Some dorky vampire from Twilight". I love CM Punk. </p><p> </p><p>

Kane/Khali next.</p>

<p>Haven't watched 'E in years. Don't intend to. However, I reckon (if I'm not too out of touch now) that Christian/Regal will be the best match on that card if given enough time. Both very solid and, for me, Regal is a really fun guy to watch... always gets you involved in the match - highly underrated most of the time.</p><p> </p><p>

Quote The Raven</p><p>

Nevermore</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Self" data-cite="Self" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="24299" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I'm guessing plant. It's playing into the story too well. Pretty cool though.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> What what what?</p>

Archived