World Wrestling Entertainment: A New Era

Degeneration-X vs Legacy in the Hell in a Cell

Dolph Ziggler vs John Morrison © for the WWE Intercontinental Championship

The Miz vs Jack Swagger vs Kofi Kingston © for the WWE United States Championship

Randy Orton vs John Cena © in the Hell in a Cell for the WWE Championship

Batista & Rey Mystero vs Jeri-Show © for the WWE Unified Tag Team Championships

The Undertaker vs CM Punk © in the Hell in a Cell for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Miz vs Jack Swagger vs Kofi Kingston © for the WWE United States Championship

The Undertaker vs CM Punk © in the Hell in a Cell for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship

Seconded.

Guest cmdrsam

This would be the feud ender, and frankly, despite being okay with it in real life, I can't see the in-game DX agreeing to job to Ted and Cody.

Ziggler continues to be the IC nearly-man.

He really should have won it there to begin with. Kingston's long (by today's WWE standards) reign ends here.

I didn't think it was a smart move for Cena to lose the belt here, he just got the thing the month before. I need my World title reigns to be long, damn it!

Can't see Rey winning a belt on his first night back.

Punk beating Taker in a Hell In A Cell match? Pfft, not happening..

This would be the feud ender, and frankly, despite being okay with it in real life, I can't see the in-game DX agreeing to job to Ted and Cody.

I didn't think it was a smart move for Cena to lose the belt here, he just got the thing the month before. I need my World title reigns to be long, damn it!

Actually, Michaels and Triple H jobbed to Legacy at Breaking Point without much complaint in the game. I can't recall if the actually complained about it or not. Both Rhodes and DiBiase were about B+ overness at that point, having jumped very quickly from B- simply by that feud in the first few weeks.

As for the Cena title reign, the short regins are definitely something I dislike and want to do away with... but I'm trying to simply change everything massively overnight.

I haven't seen the Legacy rise to fame becayse i haven't watched wrestling properly for a good few years so i'll stick with the team I know more about.

Morrison is somebody I think could become huge one day. This guy is really entertaining in the ring and he's one of my favourite current day stars.

Don't know a huge amount about all of them so i'll stick with the Champ to retain.

If Cena had had the title longer than a month i'd have easily tipped Orton here, but thats just because I don't like modern day Cena. Maybe you could find a way, somewhere down the line, of turning him to the huge fan favourite he was around early 2005 time?

I think they'll retain the titles here. I used to love Batista when he was in Evolution, but after he left I never really liked him as much. Especially after 2005. Rey's a great in ring performer, but i've never been a fan of him either whereas Jericho is simply awesome.

I can't see The Undertaker being happy about losing to Punk in a hell in a cell match. Punk can still come out of an Undertaker defeat looking good.

Very much looking forward to the show.

Toss up for as I didn't see Legacy winning at Breaking Point and you did say that this diary is going to show the next generation of stars so. . .

Dolph ain't quite there yet.

Hate Miz, like Kofi, big fan of Swagger. Especially how he can hit that Gutwrench after standing switch. Just awesome, IMO.

Cena says he's gonna be savage, well only in the GDS forum world could he really become a savage.

Great teams, however Jeri-Show have the better pairing of power and technique rather than power and speed.

Any other match (besides submission), Punk would get my vote.

Degeneration-X vs Legacy in the Hell in a Cell Game-wise, pushing Legacy is a push too far

Dolph Ziggler vs John Morrison © for the WWE Intercontinental Championship Morrison is awesome. Ziggler is good, but the midcard titles can stand staying still a bit.

The Miz vs Jack Swagger vs Kofi Kingston © for the WWE United States Championship In spite of recent events, Kofi with the belt is a good thing.

Randy Orton vs John Cena © in the Hell in a Cell for the WWE Championship No need to change relaity too much

Batista & Rey Mystero vs Jeri-Show © for the WWE Unified Tag Team Championships I mark for Jericho

The Undertaker vs CM Punk © in the Hell in a Cell for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship As with Orton/Cena..

No, no show yet. Sorry, but its slow slugging and as I've complained about a few times, there isn't a huge degree of motivation. I'm hoping to have it up sometime this week, but as always, no guarantees. I'm having to change up a few of my plans for the show - presentation, not results - as what I had planned originally ended up being too close to the actual PPV. D'oh!

Part of the original intent of this project was to take many of the elements of the current WWE product (PG, no blood, lack of tag team importance, lack of managers, etc) and change them. But to do so in a gradual and "realistic" manner. Not just a massive, immediately adjustment. But I've come to realize the problem with this is patience. Which should have been obvious from the start, but has become more obvious as a I play along. I want to have these changes in place now, to play the way I want to play, but that goes against the original intent. To make it worse, the four weekly shows obviously makes booking and writing very slow.

I do now think I would have been better of using a 2003 or 2006 start-up, before all the things changed. Or maybe going with a backstory that was less realistic but made things easier to massively adjust the product.

No, no show yet. Sorry, but its slow slugging and as I've complained about a few times, there isn't a huge degree of motivation. I'm hoping to have it up sometime this week, but as always, no guarantees. I'm having to change up a few of my plans for the show - presentation, not results - as what I had planned originally ended up being too close to the actual PPV. D'oh!

Part of the original intent of this project was to take many of the elements of the current WWE product (PG, no blood, lack of tag team importance, lack of managers, etc) and change them. But to do so in a gradual and "realistic" manner. Not just a massive, immediately adjustment. But I've come to realize the problem with this is patience. Which should have been obvious from the start, but has become more obvious as a I play along. I want to have these changes in place now, to play the way I want to play, but that goes against the original intent. To make it worse, the four weekly shows obviously makes booking and writing very slow.

Speaking as someone who started his diary three months in partly to help lay more groundwork for a particular arc, and who has still taken four more game months to get it ready, I feel your pain.

It does get better.

Glad you haven't posted the show yet as it seems I neglected to make predictions. So here we go!

They can use the win moreso than HBK and H to solidify their top ranked status.

Morrison hits him so hard he forgets his own name.

The best of the three in my opinion. The All American..................................................waitforit.............................American!

Don't care for Cena and I actually like the Randy Orton character.

Batista turns on Rey Rey!

This...is the devil's playground! This...is Hell....in a Cell! CM Punk, you will be taken to Hell and your title reign? It will rest...in...peace.

Speaking as someone who started his diary three months in partly to help lay more groundwork for a particular arc, and who has still taken four more game months to get it ready, I feel your pain.

It does get better.

Hope so.

Actually, your approach might have been ideal. Start in September 2009 in the game but book through 3-4 months, so the diary starts in about January of 2010. Through those months, I could have insituted some of my changes so they are already in place when the diary kicks up. So the product is mostly where I want it, rather than gradually moving in that direction. Then either have a catch-up post at some point or gradually reveal what happened to get to that particular starting point. I actually did consider that approach. Unfortunately, I rejected it, mainly because I got caught up on the idea of "starting it current day". Which was kinda dumb, now that I look back on it. Ah well, I guess its all a learning process.

Take for example my plans for the tag team division. I wanted to combine what the E is currently doing - the unified tag titles, Jeri-Show, DX, etc - with another storyline that would justify a notable adjustment in how many active tag teams the WWE has. The idea is that the storyline would see the seeds planed in mid-October, kick up in November, and probably run through the first part of January. So if I had taken the other approach, it would be well under way when I started the diary.

I am definitely not starting this project over... but if I was to try it again, I think that would be the approach I would take.

Hope so.

Actually, your approach might have been ideal. Start in September 2009 in the game but book through 3-4 months, so the diary starts in about January of 2010. Through those months, I could have insituted some of my changes so they are already in place when the diary kicks up. So the product is mostly where I want it, rather than gradually moving in that direction. Then either have a catch-up post at some point or gradually reveal what happened to get to that particular starting point. I actually did consider that approach. Unfortunately, I rejected it, mainly because I got caught up on the idea of "starting it current day". Which was kinda dumb, now that I look back on it. Ah well, I guess its all a learning process.

Take for example my plans for the tag team division. I wanted to combine what the E is currently doing - the unified tag titles, Jeri-Show, DX, etc - with another storyline that would justify a notable adjustment in how many active tag teams the WWE has. The idea is that the storyline would see the seeds planed in mid-October, kick up in November, and probably run through the first part of January. So if I had taken the other approach, it would be well under way when I started the diary.

I am definitely not starting this project over... but if I was to try it again, I think that would be the approach I would take.

I think you have to do what you feel is best mate. If you decided to book ahead and start the project again I would still be here waiting to read and i'm sure everybody else would do the same. Like you said it will take ages to get to that point in the diary having to book so many shows a week and if your lacking motivation then starting the diary where you want would be a good way to fix that.

The point is that i'll be reading whatever you decide to do.

I think you have to do what you feel is best mate. If you decided to book ahead and start the project again I would still be here waiting to read and i'm sure everybody else would do the same. Like you said it will take ages to get to that point in the diary having to book so many shows a week and if your lacking motivation then starting the diary where you want would be a good way to fix that.

The point is that i'll be reading whatever you decide to do.

Appreciated. But I'm definitely not starting over. This was never intended as a long-term project, but moreso just a fun experiment. I knew I'd never have motivation like I did with Gen-S, and it turns out I have even less than expected. I always figured I'd be lucky to make a couple dozen shows and a couple months game-time. Its going to turn out to be less than that, due the motivation and a few other issues (most of which I've complained about at some point). If I did start out, it wouldn't solve the motivation issue and who knows what new problems it would create? Especially considering the announcement of TEW 2010, which would make this a short-term project even if it was intended as a long-term one and I didn't lack motivation...

I am giving some consideration to a "fast-forward" approach, where I might book through a few months and jump back into writing up the shows after that, so I can hit a point where things are in place moreso. That's something I'm going to have to consider....

Guest cmdrsam
I think its the amount of shows you have to book as the WWE to advance till the next week. Felt that away with your last work as well. But man oh man was it a great ride. You are immortal in my mind with the amount of work you did on it and you were also on time with many of your cards.

I think its the amount of shows you have to book as the WWE to advance till the next week. Felt that away with your last work as well. But man oh man was it a great ride. You are immortal in my mind with the amount of work you did on it and you were also on time with many of your cards.

Yeah, the number of shows is definitely a factor. But I knew that coming in, so I can't really complain too much. The whole huge roster, multiple brand, multiple show promotion feels very familiar to me due to the amount of time I spent on Gen-S. Looking back, I'm still surprised that I managed to maintain the regularity of shows that I did with that one - it took a kind of dedication I doubt I'll ever manage again on one of these projects. I just avoided other games entirely and I don't really want to have to do that again.

With regards to this, I am really liking the idea of getting through the PPV and probably the following Raw, then just playing through several months, at which point I'll start doing shows again with things moreso "in place".

I'm all for Legacy being pushed, but D-X need to win in the Cell.

Dolph Ziggler vs John Morrison © for the WWE Intercontinental Championship Morrison's clearly the better talent with a better future.

The Miz vs Jack Swagger vs Kofi Kingston © for the WWE United States Championship Miz should win the title and hold it for a while.

Randy Orton vs John Cena © in the Hell in a Cell for the WWE Championship Cena should hold onto the title for a few months yet.

Batista & Rey Mystero vs Jeri-Show © for the WWE Unified Tag Team Championships Jericho and Show are good holders, Batista to turn heel.

The Undertaker vs CM Punk © in the Hell in a Cell for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship The Undertaker needs to have the title back

Hope so.

I struggle to get into diaries that start out with a massive change, clean out, unrealistic reorganisation of the roster etc. I also love reading a diary that you can see the story arcs, you can see long term developments, and a logical reorganisation of the roster to keep things relevant and keep the main event shelf life issue becoming a major dagger in your side. I struggle, really struggle, with the one's that just come out at you with an illogical backstory and a 'this is how I want it to be so it is' rather than 'this is how I want to be and this is how I created it to get there.'

I think though you have a natural ability to explain things not only in your show posts, but your out of show posts are superb in your diaries. So you're one writer who could probably get away with shifting the platform so to speak.

• 3 weeks later...
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/Logos/PPV/HIAC.jpg

Prudential Center (Newark, New Jersey) - 15,000

Sunday, Week 1 October, 2009

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/Media/PlayButtonII.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/WWE%20Workers/Staff/Small/MichaelColeSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/WWE%20Workers/Staff/Small/JerryLawlerSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/Logos/PPV/Tiny/HIACTiny.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/WWE%20Workers/Staff/Small/JimRossSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/WWE%20Workers/Staff/Small/ToddGrishamSmall.jpg

Michael Cole & Jerry Lawler --------- Jim Ross & Todd Grisham

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/Logos/PPV/Tiny/HIACTiny.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/Media/PlayButtonII.jpg

Opening Video

The show starts out with a typically-polished WWE promo video, highlighting the main feuds against the backdrop of the menacing cell. The shows theme song by Saliva provides musical accoutrement. The video ends up with a big sequence of fireworks going off around the Prudential Center as the crowd goes crazy, with spotlights highlighting the mighty Cell hanging far above the ring.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/WWE%20Workers/Workers/Raw/Small/TripleHSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/WWE%20Workers/Workers/Raw/Small/ShawnMichaelsSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/WWE%20Workers/Workers/Raw/Small/TedDiBiaseJrSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/WWE%20Workers/Workers/Raw/Small/CodyRhodesSmall.jpg

Triple H, Shawn Michaels, Ted DiBiase + Cody Rhodes

Pre-Match Introductions

When the pyrotechnics end and the smoke starts to clear, there is another big roar from the crowd as the well-known music of Degeneration X begins to play. The duo do not immediately appear however, and then the music is drowned out by roaring engines. Then Triple H and Shawn Michaels emerge onto the stage, each one astride a muscular quad all-terrain four-wheeler, both of which are decorated in full D-X regalia. They rev the barely-muffled engines to the delight of the crowd, then stand on their modern day steeds to deliver their trademark crotch chops. Then they race the quads down the ramp and circle the ring. The reason for the wide ramp and open ringside area becomes obvious.. Its not quite as ornate as their SummerSlam entrance astride a tank, but its close.

After circling the ring several times and turning circles at the base of the ramp, the two end up colliding. At low speed and without damage. As the crowd laughs, the teammates holler at each other and it becomes apparent that Michaels is angry that his quad is clearly smaller than Triple H's. Using obvious and somewhat sexual hand gestures, Triple H makes it clear that as he is the bigger of the two, his ride should be bigger. Wearing a pouty face, Michaels stomps his way back up the ramp while Triple H pleads with his friend.

Triple H is left at ringside, so he grabs a microphone and pleads for Michaels to return. It doesn't immediately happen, so Triple H decides to entertain the crowd by throwing some catch phrases out, which the crowd eats up. Then the 13-time champion is drowned out by a roaring high-pitched engine. From beside the stage, a Chenworth desert patrol vehicle used by the United States Armed Forces emerges. But this is no regular Chenworth. It has fiberglass body panels painted with DX logos. Driven by a Marine in full combat gear, the Heartbreak Kid rides atop it, gesturing and chopping as the vehicle races down beside the ramp and skids to a stop at the base of the ramp, beside the two DX quads. Michaels hops off it and then grabs the microphone, asking his tag team partner who's is bigger now...

This exchange is interrupted as Ted DiBiase and Cody Rhodes suddenly jump out of the crowd and attack the veteran duo. Apparently having forgotten entirely about the match, DX are taken by complete surprise. The beatdown is vicious and relentless. The veteran duo get slammed into their vehicles, smashed into the metal ramp, and when it finally descends, hammered into the side of the cell. Rhodes and DiBiase drag Shawn Michaels into the open door and try to make the door official lock it, trying to separate DX. DiBiase exits the cell, trying to intimidate the outside official or take the chain and lock from him, but Triple H lurches to his feet and slams his bigger physique into DiBiase. The crowd roars as Triple H mounts a comeback outside the cell, but Michaels is still taking a beating from Rhodes inside the ring. Triple H delivers a pedigree to DiBiase on the hood of the Chenworth, then throws the youngster through the still-open door of the cell. The door is locked and the match finally officially begins.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/WWE%20Workers/Workers/Raw/Small/TripleHSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/WWE%20Workers/Workers/Raw/Small/ShawnMichaelsSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/VS/Small/VSSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/WWE%20Workers/Workers/Raw/Small/TedDiBiaseJrSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/WWE%20Workers/Workers/Raw/Small/CodyRhodesSmall.jpg

D-X vs Legacy

Hell in a Hell Tag Team Match

As the match begins, only two of the four men are still standing – Triple H and Cody Rhodes. Triple H stands outside the ring, with his foot on DiBiase's chest, while Rhodes stares down at him from the ring. The multi-time world champion taunts the youngster, who takes the bait. Rhodes dives through the ropes, but Triple H simply moves out of the way and lets Rhodes' momentum take him into the cage. That allows “The Game” to take over, but it doesn't take long for Rhodes to battle back. While they battle outside the ring for awhile, Ted DiBiase recovers and joins his tag team partner. They begin to work over Triple H, who's partner is still just barely moving in the corner of the ring. Triple takes a beating until HBK finally lurches to his feet, slowly climbs up to the top rope as the crowd urges him on, and hits a diving elbow drop onto both DiBiase and Rhodes outside the ring. It becomes a four-man battle again, moving in and out of the ring. All four men get plenty of offense and take damage. It becomes a two-on-one again when DiBiase and Rhodes combine to slam Michaels' lower back into the ring post, putting him down once again. The same sequence of Triple H taking a two-on-one beating before battling back against the odds happens, with Michaels jumping back into the action. Rhodes is dropped by a Sweet Chin Music outside the ring, leaving DiBiase to face both Triple H and Michaels in the ring by himself. The fans go wild as the pair unload on the disliked youngster. Those fans seem to sense the end is coming. Rhodes is first hit by Sweet Chin Music, then receives a Pedigree, and finally HBK drops a bit diving elbow drop before going for the pin. The victorious D-X pair take their time celebrating after the win.

Shawn Michaels Wins at 16:52 via Pinfall

Michael Cole: Vintage DX right – snatching victory when defeat looked certain.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/WWE%20Workers/Workers/SD/Small/DolphZigglerSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/VS/Small/VSSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/WWE%20Workers/Workers/SD/Small/JohnMorrisonSmall.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/Belts/WWE/Belt%20Renders/Small/WWEIntercontinentalBlackSmall.jpg

Dolph Ziggler vs John Morrison

WWE Intercontinental Championship Match

The match opens with a frenetic pace, both workers push each other. The action is back and forth and continuous. Ziggler begins to take control, and starts to wear down the champion. Morrison gets the fans behind him as he fights back, only for a cheap shot to give control of the action back to the challenger. Ziggler scores several near falls and looks like he's headed towards a victory, but the champion won't stop fighting. He kicks out of several pin attempts. There is a short break when Ziggler's girlfriend Maria Kanellis makes her way down to the ring, looking happy and apparently wanting to watch her boyfriend win the Intercontinental championship. Instead, she distracts Ziggler enough to allow Morrison to counterattack. He nails Ziggler with his old Nitro Blast superkick, then the crowd pops huge as the champion hits his Starship Pain corkscrew moonsault, which allows him to get the pinfall. The champion celebrates while Ziggler storms out of the ring, right past an apologetic Maria.

John Morrison Wins at 10:53 via Pinfall

Todd Grisham: Looks like Dolph Ziggler blames Maria for that loss.

Jim Ross: You can't blame the young lady there!

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/WWE%20Workers/Workers/Raw/Small/TheMizSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/VS/Small/VSSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/WWE%20Workers/Workers/Raw/Small/JackSwaggerSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/VS/Small/VSSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/WWE%20Workers/Workers/Titles/Small/KofiKingstonUSTitleSmall.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/Belts/WWE/Belt%20Renders/Small/WWEUSTitleMid.jpg

The Miz vs Jack Swagger vs Kofi Kingston

WWE United States Championship Match

This match is fast-paced with continual action. It starts before the bell even rings, as Swagger attacks the champion, only to be attacked himself by The Miz. The two challengers do not work together at all. Kofi takes a good beat as he is the focus of both Swagger and Miz, but he does manage to get some early offense in and tries for a couple of unsuccessful quick pin attempts. After that, the champion is mostly on the defensive. Its Jack Swagger who takes over the match, using his power to overwhelm both opponents. The Miz is taken out when Swagger slams him into the barrier outside the ring. Swagger controls the action with the champion back in the ring and looks to be heading into the closing sequence. He hits a number of suplexes, and then throws himself into the ropes to launch a running knee strike. But Swagger instead tumbles out of the ring, with Miz having pulled down the top rope. He quickly takes advantage of the work that Swagger has done. The champion Kofi is hit with a Skull Crushing Finale face buster and then pinned.

The Miz Wins at 11:43 via Pinfall

Michael Cole: We have a new WWE Intercontinental champion!

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/WWE%20Workers/Workers/Raw/Small/RandyOrtonSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/WWE%20Workers/Workers/Raw/Small/JohnCenaSmall.jpg

Randy Orton and John Cena

Promo Video

A typically-slick promo video is shown, highlighting the years-long feud between Randy Orton and current WWE Champion John Cena. It all build towards the “this is the end” idea for the feud. The video builds to a crescendo with rapid-fire clips, culminating in a long-shot of the darkened cell that descends from the ceiling throughout the video.

Michael Cole: So it all comes down to this... One more match...

Jerry Lawler: I can't wait!

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/WWE%20Workers/Workers/Raw/Small/RandyOrtonSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/VS/Small/VSSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/WWE%20Workers/Workers/Raw/Small/JohnCenaSmall.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/Belts/WWE/Belt%20Images/Small/WWEChampionshipSmall.jpg

Randy Orton vs John Cena

Hell in a Cell Match for the WWE Championship

The match starts out slowly, with both men circling inside the ring and acclimating to the huge cell surrounding them. The early-going is a standard feeling out process, but Orton soon takes control by making Cena chase him outside the ring. The challenger uses the cell and the outside of the ring to his distinct advantage. Cena's lack of experience in the structure starts to show early. “The Viper” punishes him, wearing the more powerful Cena down. The champion looks to be in some trouble within the first five minutes, but shortly after that, he begins his superhero comeback. He begins to counter the offense of the challenger, displaying the tenacity and power that makes him so beloved by the WWE fans. It seems awful early but Cena launches his closing sequence, delivering a Five Knuckle Shuffle. But he's thrown off track when Orton hits an RKO out of nowhere, and goes for a pin that is awfully close to the three count. Orton takes control again. Cena gets busted open when his head is repeatedly bounced off the ring steps. Cena takes a vicious beating from Orton, the crowd quieting as their hero bleeds fairly heavily. Finally, Orton lines up for his infamous punt... but misses and gets tackled by the resurgent champion. Cena pushes through the pain and exhaustion, punishing the challenger by using the cage and the ringside area to his advantage. Cena shows an uncharacteristic viciousness and the fans love him for it. The big finale is Cena using the ring steps as a weapon, then finally delivering an Attitude Adjustment onto the steps. A wrecked Randy Orton is pinned by the three count.

John Cena Wins at 21:14 via Pinfall

Jerry Lawler: What a match! What a win!

Michael Cole: That was hardly vintage John Cena right there. I've never seen him with that kind of an edge in the ring.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/WWE%20Workers/Workers/SD/Small/BatistaSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/WWE%20Workers/Workers/SD/Small/ReyMysterioSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/VS/Small/VSSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/WWE%20Workers/Workers/SD/Small/ChrisJerichoSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/WWE%20Workers/Workers/Raw/Small/BigShowSmall.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/Belts/WWE/Belt%20Images/Small/WWERawTagTeamSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/Belts/WWE/Belt%20Images/Small/WWESmackdownTagTeamSmall.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/Belts/WWE/Belt%20Images/Small/WWERawTagTeamSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/Belts/WWE/Belt%20Images/Small/WWESmackdownTagTeamSmall.jpg

Batista & Mysterio vs Jeri-Show

WWE Unified Tag Team Championships Match

A fast-paced and chaotic tag match. The champions show solid teamwork, while Batista and Mysterio aren't too far behind. Both teams feature the big n' small dynamic, though Mysterio is rather fearless compared to the cowardly approach of Jericho. The highlights of the match are a toe-to-toe showdown between Big Show and Batista, with the two big men battering each other to the delight of the crowd. A short time later, a great sequence between Mysterio and Jericho forms the heart of the match. Mysterio gets isolated after some good teamwork between the champions, and although Batista makes it back into the match, a knockout blow from Big Show to Mysterio allows Jericho to get the pin to retain the belts.

Big Show Wins at 12:18 via Pinfall

Jim Ross: So it all comes down to this... CM Punk against The Undertaker

Todd Grisham: If Punk wants to prove himself, there is no bigger test than taking on The Undertaker in his match.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/WWE%20Workers/Workers/SD/Small/UndertakerSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/VS/Small/VSSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/WWE%20Workers/Workers/SD/Small/CMPunkSmall.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/Belts/WWE/Belt%20Renders/Small/WWEWorldSmall.jpg

The Undertaker vs CM Punk

Hell in a Cell Match for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship

The match starts with the champion looking quite nervous, despite all his talk in the lead up about not being intimidated by The Undertaker. The challenger goes right after the champion, trying to make quick work of the brash straight edge champion. Punk, however, seems determined to draw out the match and wear down the challenger. After an initial flurry of offense from The Undertaker that Punk survives, the match settles into a pattern – Punk trying to slow down and wear down the Dead Man with some old school grappling holds. Again and again, The Undertaker manages to power out. Its almost a guerrilla tactic from Punk, as he quickly scurries away from any offense or counterattacks from the legend. It gradually seems to pay dividends, as at the twenty minute mark, the challenger starts to visibly wane. But there's no keeping the Dead Man down, as he kicks out of several pin attempts. Then he powers back and manages to get his hand on Punk outside the ring, leaping through the ropes into a surprised CM Punk. The champion desperately tries to worm his way out of The Undertaker's grasp, but he receives a nasty choke slam outside the ring. Its all Taker for awhile, as he punishes Punk. The crowd pops at Taker goes Old School. A short time later, he does it a second time and pays, as Punk pulls Taker down into a knee to the gut. The champion then slides out of the ring and digs under the ring until he finds something. As the challenger stands on the apron and reaches down for the champion, Taker gets nailed in the face with a chair. The big man goes down, and Punk follows the first blow up with several more inside the ring. Looking satisfied after a half dozen heavy chair shots to the prone challenger, CM Punk looks content as he tosses the mangled chair aside. He makes the mistake of taking his time, thinking he has everything under control. But the Undertaker suddenly sits up, as he has so many times through his career. A leaping clothesline, then a big leaping leg drop. Finally he gets Punk up for a Tombstone and everyone knows its over. The referee counts out three and The Undertaker wins the WWE World Heavyweight championship for the third time.

The Undertaker Wins at 28:19 via Pinfall

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/WWE%20Workers/Workers/Titles/Small/UndertakerWWEWorldTitleSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/WWE%20Workers/Workers/SD/Small/CMPunkSmall.jpg

The Undertaker + CM Punk

Post-Match Celebration

Punk rolls out of the ring after the pin. The Undertaker stands in the center of the ring, triumphant.

After a moment, the cell begins to rise. The ref grabs the WWE World Heavyweight Championship belt from the ringside official and hands it to the new champion. The crowd roars. Punk stands outside the ring, looking on in anger. He makes his way up the ramp slowly, watching the new champion. The Undertaker watches right back. When CM Punk stands defiantly at the top of the ramp, The Undertaker slowly raises the Big Gold Belt above his head. The two men glare at each other for a long moment until Punk finally departs. Its clear this isn't over. The Undertaker then climbs the ropes to show his newly-won belt to the fans.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/Logos/Brands/Small%20Sizes/WWESmall.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/Media/TheMark.jpg

The Mark

Hell in a Cell Review

Sunday, Week 1 October, 2009

I guess I should be honest off the start and admit that I am not a fan of the WWE's trend towards gimmick pay per views. Especially not this one. Its one thing to make an entire show of submission matches. Its another - and much worse - to take your most legit and protected match type and overkill it in one night. I gave some serious consideration to skipping this one, just for spite.

I am glad I didn't. While the show didn't live up to the standard set by this summer's Summer Slam, it was a very solid showing. All three Hell in a Cell matches were solid, though hardly classics. We even got to see a bit of blood, which surprised me.

Legacy vs D-X

The most unnecessary and overbooked of the three Cell matches. The overwrought entrance by Triple H and Michaels was worse than their tank-riding entrance to SummerSlam, and it made it clear who the stars of this match were, no matter who won. At least they made it seem like D-X actually could lose the match. Would've preferred to see the young pair go over here, but I understand D-X winning this feud. I expect this puts them on a collision course with Jeri-Show...

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/VS/StarSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/VS/StarSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/VS/StarSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/VS/StarSmallHalf.jpg

Dolph Ziggler vs John Morrison for the WWE Intercontinental Championship

I so wanted this one to steal the show. And while it was good, it was only good. Morrison has won me over in recent months and seems to be one of the more reliable young workers the WWE has right now.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/VS/StarSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/VS/StarSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/VS/StarSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/VS/StarSmallHalf.jpg

The Miz vs Jack Swagger vs Kofi Kingston for the WWE United States Championship

A ton of potential in this one as well, but the end result was kinda flat. Cool to see Miz take the title, especially in such an opportunistic manner. They are giving him a bit of an Edge vibe with that, I think. I would've preferred to see Swagger take the belt, but a Miz win is better than Kofi retaining once again.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/VS/StarSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/VS/StarSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/VS/StarSmall.jpg

Randy Orton vs John Cena for the WWE Championship

I don't buy this one as the "feud-ender" for one minute, given, that it wasn't even the main event. These two will face each other again. The match was solid enough. Orton played his role to perfection, and Cena turning vicious in the late going gave a twist to his prototypical superhero comeback.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/VS/StarSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/VS/StarSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/VS/StarSmall.jpg

Batista & Mysterio vs Jeri-Show for the WWE Unified Tag Team Championsihps

Probably the weakest match on the card and it clearly shouldn't have been. It was a fairly standard tag match, outside the fun little Jericho and Mysterio sequence in the middle that was nowhere near long enough. And that was the great problem with this match overall, I think. The foursome did well enough in the time they had, but I get the feeling that we could see a truly great tag match if they were given twenty-plus minutes to work with. I am probably underrated it based on that assumption.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/VS/StarSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/VS/StarSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/VS/StarSmallHalf.jpg

The Undertaker vs CM Punk for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship

Predictable result, but it was a fun way to get there. It took Match of the Night honors for me, maybe because CM Punk's "wear him out" approach made me think of his epic wars with Samoa Joe. I just hope they keep this feud brewing, as they teased at the end, rather moving The Undertaker into a feud with Jericho or even Batista.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/VS/StarSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/VS/StarSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/VS/StarSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WWE/VS/StarSmall.jpg

Overall Mark Show Grade: B+

Archived