DOTT - MIDSOUTH (the Watts Way)

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I got it....

Hmm...maybe we were better off with just "Terry Taylor and Bobby Fulton" :)

you may be right,

in a different game, I created a team with Terry Taylor (forget who the partner was - maybe Pistol Pez Whatley) but named them TASER GUN.

Terry's 'fivearm" finisher was the Taser shot -- so opponents would cry "don't tase me bro" - but think 1983 might be a little early for fans to get it. ;)

you may be right,

in a different game, I created a team with Terry Taylor (forget who the partner was - maybe Pistol Pez Whatley) but named them TASER GUN.

Terry's 'fivearm" finisher was the Taser shot -- so opponents would cry "don't tase me bro" - but think 1983 might be a little early for fans to get it. ;)

Is it really all that much worse than that wold famous tag team from Global Championship Wrestling,Brute Forcz?

Heck,Hickerson and Condrey were one of the best tag teams in the Memphis area and at first they were saddled with the name "The Bicentennial Kings"....because they debuted in 1976...get it? :rolleyes:

But then much of the time i wonder what "The Jerrys" (a.k.a. Jarrett & Lawler) were smoking when they came up with some of those Memphis gimmicks....it must be some awfully good stuff when Tony Falk as the poor man's Boy George/Culture Club and wrestling Christmas tree monsters start sounding good.....I'm sure if were Memphis they'd decide to name Taylor and Fulton "The Flaming Cheerios".......or even worse, "The New Fabulous Ones".

Mid-South TV

dark match:

Chavo Guerrero defeats Tim Horner

Chavo didn't need any help from Skandar as he took apart the youngster and wins with a 5:10 Moonsault. Chavo came out looking really good (D+)

Jim Cornette wants to prove he is more than just a "mamma's boy" and grabs a chair to do step ups and demonstrate his manliness -- needless to say Cornette falls over the chair after about 3 step-ups

E+

Terry Taylor talks with Jim Ross about what they just witnessed and have a good laugh at Cornette's expense. (Taylor improves performance and charisma at the expense of the crowd's mood)

Terry Taylor and Bobby Fulton vs Brickhouse Brown & Koko B Ware

Fulton-Taylor vs Brickhouse and Koko: Fulton catches Koko with a flying bodypress to pull out an impressive win. (Brown improves some performance skills in the match)

D-

Bill Watts was impressed enough with the new team that he announces next week, they will get a shot at the tag team champions - The Rat Pack!

(D rating for announcement. E+ for the booked match -- I'm really expecting big things from this match)

Butch Reed vs Volkolff:

I didn't realize it was 4th time around for these two, but they deliver a solid match! Kamala cannot stay out of the action. He jumps Reed to give the Russian the upperhand. JYD runs out of the back to throttle Kamala. This revitalizes Hacksaw Reed and he overpowers the Russian and scores the win at 10:21 (C- rating) The 4 men brawl around ringside (ho-hum D rating)

JYD vs Bobby Jaggers:

Ted Dibiase sends his hired gun to take out JYD and prevent him from finding another partner to go after his tag belts. JYD shows he is still a force here in Mid-South and puts the Big Thump on Jaggers for the win. 8:35 (C rating)

Mr Wrestling II vs Buddy Landell:

Landell tries to make good on his claims to be the top contender and should be getting the next title shot against Dick Murdoch. He has the masked man in trouble with his corkscrew elbow and figure 4. However, Mr. Wrestling II still has something left and he puts on a clinic for Landell. 18:18, Million $ Knee gives 2 the big win. (C- rating)

Shows goes off the air with a video to hype the North American title match at the July Big Show: Mr. Wrestling II vs Dick Murdoch (B-)

C- rated show (that's not helping the cause at all)

PRO WRESTLING THIS WEEK

A look at our favorite promotions around the country from the previous week, featuring several 4th of July Spectaculars:

WWF TNT: Sika defeats Morales in main event. Non-title: Sarge wins over Backlund (first loss) .42 rating

WWF All-star wrestling: Samoans defeat Putski & Johnson, Garea & Gilbert over the Invaders. Atlas teams with Backlund for an easy win over Rodz and Samula. .22 rating

WWF Championship Wrestling: Tiger Conway and Putski defeat Pistol Pete and Brian Blair in main event. (1000 fans, D- show. Viewers were disappointed in the product). .01 rating

Calgary Stampede: Bulldogs retain tag titles over Bret and Bruce Hart (C+)> Bad News Allen beat Ron Ritchie (C-)

Central States: Manny Fernandez is the new champ defeating Hercules Ayala (B-). Harley Race over Super Destoryer 2 (B match). B- show

WCCW: Freebird Gordy teamed with Kabuki and Iceman Parsons to defeat Kevin VE, Mike VE, and Sweet Brown Sugar. Freebirds hayes and roberts over Kerry and David

WCCW: Star Wars super show - David Von Erich defends Texas HW title over Buddy Jack Roberts in main event. Freebirds retain WCCW tag titles over Kerry and Mike Von Erich

SWCW: Remember the Alamo supercard!

Sheepherders defeat Chavo and Sweetan in (C rated) main event. Tully Blanchard over Bobby Jaggers, Killer Tim Brooks beat Tiger Conway

AWA: 8609 watch Ken Patera defeat Wahoo McDaniel (B-). High Flyers retain AWA tag over Schultz and Graham. B- show (with only the one B- rated match)

CWA: King Jerry Lawler over Moondog Rex headlines B- show. Main event was B- rated, everything else was C- or lower

SEC on tour: Ron Fuller beat Norvell Austin and Robert Fuller over Mr. Olympia (B-) headline the C+ show. Ricky Gibson defeats Punk Rock Ferris in entertaining match

MACW: Great American Bash results (B- show). Ric Flair wins NWA World title over Jack Brisco in B- main event!!! A backstage segment with Flair and Ricky Steamboat set the stage for Ric Flair to make a face turn!! Other matches saw: Harley Race over Assassin (B), Wahoo McDaniel over Dick Slater (B), Koloff & Leduc over Piper & Valentine (B),

10,000 attend and .52 buy rate on close circuit -- breaking record they set at Clash of Champions (.51)

Great American Bash results (B- show). Ric Flair wins NWA World title over Jack Brisco in B- main event!!!

I know that this was the CPU's doing, but why would they have Ric Flair headline a major card against Jack Brisco? Wasn't he more of a tag team wrestler?

I know that this was the CPU's doing, but why would they have Ric Flair headline a major card against Jack Brisco? Wasn't he more of a tag team wrestler?

"Briso's reigns as NWA World Heavyweight Champion were particularly significant as he was only the second wrestler to have won the NWA World Heavyweight Championship more than once at the time, with the other and first multi-time champion being Lou Thesz. Though his second reign was shorter than his first, it was still very significant as Brisco is still the only multi-time NWA World Heavyweight Champion to have had all of his reigns last a full year or longer." From the Wiki.

Jack and Jerry were a great team, but Jack was considered one of the great NWA Champions of all time.

"Briso's reigns as NWA World Heavyweight Champion were particularly significant as he was only the second wrestler to have won the NWA World Heavyweight Championship more than once at the time, with the other and first multi-time champion being Lou Thesz. Though his second reign was shorter than his first, it was still very significant as Brisco is still the only multi-time NWA World Heavyweight Champion to have had all of his reigns last a full year or longer." From the Wiki.

Jack and Jerry were a great team, but Jack was considered one of the great NWA Champions of all time.

See I never knew that he was a big singles star. That is why I love this diary, because I usually learn stuff about the old days.

See I never knew that he was a big singles star. That is why I love this diary, because I usually learn stuff about the old days.

glad to help, but I must have done a poor job of getting over when I brought him as "world champ". The Brisco-Funk (Dory and Terry) feud in the 70's had some of the greatest classics of all time. The film could definitely be required material in a modern Wrestling 101 clinic to teach new guys the basics (in ring psychology, etc).

the ironic thing for game purposes is - even tho it was non-title matches, there was a path of wins from Flair to Funk to Brisco....and now back to Flair.

Week 3 TV - 2677 attend

Dark match: Tron once again defeats Koko B Ware in an exciting match (C+). Tron-Plex at 7:14 (C+)

Skandar and Friday doing color commentary insult Tron saying he is a disgrace to wrestling fans everywhere and an insult to real professional wrestlers.

Mr. Olympia confronts TRON. "I have to agree with what Akbar and Friday were saying during the match. TRON is a disgrace. He comes in here wearing that mask and fans rally behind this movie character. I have worked years honing my craft and building up my trademark and gimmick. I will not stand for this aberation. I already have to contend with Mr. Wrestling II, and I'm not sure this territory is big enough for another masked man. At the BIG ONE, I'm challenging you to a match. If you have the guts"

B-

JYD vs Hacksaw Duggan: ugh and double ugh as JYD is off his game and these 2 stars just do not click. They battle at ringside and are counted out ©

Video hyping the North American title match between Dick Murdoch and Mr. Wrestling II nearly gets the fans excited about today's show (C+)

Cowboy Bill Watts announces the tag match between Rat Pack and Taylor-Fulton will be 2 out of 3 falls.

Rat Pack vs Taylor-Fulton: not a bad match despite Fulton being off his game. Dibiase was the shining star who carried the action. Borne gets Fulton to submit to his StumpPuller (C+)

Duggan joins his stable-mates and they beat down young Bobby Fulton injuring him. Now they turn their attention to Taylor, but the crowd roars when JYD emerges from the back and cleans house. He tells Terry that he will be his tag team partner for the 2nd fall!! (Fulton and Borne improve skills but look bad in the process) C

Fall #2: Rat Pack vs Taylor and JYD: Rat Pack want nothing to do with JYD being in the match! They were not prepared for this turn of events and Dog catches them off-guard - BIG THUMP pins Matt Borne!!

Duggan runs in with a spur from Bobby Jaggers' cowboy boot and while the other Rats hold JYD, he slices it across his forehead!! JYD is bleeding profusely!!!! Hacksaw Butch Reed has seen enough!! He hits the ring and chases the bad guys. As JYD is carted off, The Rat Pack gloat.....not for long as Reed says enough is enough!! He shakes Taylor's hand and tells them to start the 3rd fall

3rd fall: Reed and Taylor battle Rat Pack to wild no contest. Duggan gets involved. Skandar, Irwin, and Kamala get involved against Reed. It looks like curtains, but here he comes!!! Junkyard Dog, his head bandaged but the blood showing through, charges the ring swinging his trusty Dogchains!!! Rat Pack and Devastation inc. scatter like ...well rats off a sinking ship!! (I'm sure most of you can imagine Jim Ross screaming his lungs out calling this action) (C+)

JYD tells the Rat Pack to shine up the belts. He's found his mystery partner - none other than Hacksaw Butch Reed!!!! Reed and Dog against the Rat Pack…Monday night in the SuperDome and the Mid-South tag titles will be on the line!!! (B-)

show rating was only C

while it raises our popularity, I'm upset and thinking must be wrong in my match making formula. Every segment was C+ (and final 6 minute promo angle was even B-), but we score lower than that!!! No road agent notes to explain why we got the lower rating. I'm sure it was a High C, but still - that's just not going to cut it.

another disappointing newsflash: our TV rating dropped to 0.00 ((guess no one is watching))

same night, Don Muraco defeats Rocky Johnson in WWF. B rated match, B- rated show. Nothing else close to C

CWF Florida Beach Tour competes with us and keeps Magum TA away. Don Kent and Blackjack Mulligan battle to DCOR (C+). Terry Allen (Magnum) gets a win over Leroy Brown

several other promotions have shows with one B rated match and 4 D rated matches - end up with B-. Still not figured out what I am doing wrong

line-up for the July Big One

MAGNUM TA VS BOBBY JAGGERS (TV title)

Taylor-Fulton vs The Iron Anvil (Sharpe-Neidhart)

Mr Olympia vs Tron

Mid-South Tag titles: Rat Pack (Dibiase-Borne) vs JYD & Butch Reed

North American Title: Dick Murdoch vs Mr. Wrestling II

the 2 main event title matches come in with C to C+ heat. TRON vs Mr. Olympia moved up to E+ heat

line-up for the July Big One

no way Magnum loses title yet, unless his other commtments are hurting too much

Love the Iron Anvil, but I think there is some potential in this Fultan/Taylor team

Mr Olympia vs Tron

Reed/Jyd get the win, via DQ (Duggan) titles dont change hands, but a feud escalates

I almost picked a time limit draw, but I'll go with Murdoch retaining

Magnum will retain because it is to soon for him to lose.

A team with Sharpe and Neidhart on it=awsome!

Mr Olympia vs Tron

I like the the makeshift team of JYD and The Natural. However, they are just that makeshift.

nice how you both have different takes on a couple of the matches. Keeps things interesting. May let CPU book the winners for a few of these - which keeps me on my toes when it comes to booking the future matches.

BTW, not a big response for the first "fan appreciation" poll, but a couple clear winners as to who you want to see in matches.

I will post the uppermid and main event group for you to "vote" and select matches too. The fun part is that even tho several pick the same name as their top choice, they pick different opponents for him. I'm hoping this little project helps breathe some life into my lower tier stories.

The JULY BIG ONE

we go head to head against WWF's King of the Ring tonight and only draw 1934 (glad I didn't opt for the bigger building after seeing some attendance increase at the last show)

Magnum TA vs Bobby Jaggers (TV TITLE MATCH):

These two have great chemistry as does Buddy Landell and Jim Ross at the announce table. Magnum scores the win when he catches Jaggers with the Belly to Belly at 9:03. (despite all the good chemistry, match rates D+ which seems to be the best match I can get out of Magnum right now).

Jim Cornette issues challenge to upstart team Taylor-Fulton to face his Iron Anvil. (Anvil improves performance skills) E+ (no love for Cornette's A+ microphone skills)

The show begins in ernest as Mr. Wrestling II hypes his match against Murdoch. "My days in the ring are numbered. I realize this may be my last shot at glory. I'm promising all the fans out there, I'm going to give it my all. I want to go out in a final blaze of glory! I want to win this title for them and retire as champion." (C+)

Mr Olympia vs TRON:

No love lost between these two...Olympia said its bad enough there are two masked men in Mid-South and there's just not room for 3- epsecially one like TRON. Olympia improves his flying skills in a decent match. Skandar Akbar also has no love for TRON and he comes to ringside to offer a few words in color commentary and also to distract Tron who already has to keep one eye on Jim Cornette. Mr Olympia sunset flips TRON for the pin to hand him his first Mid-South defeat at 12:05

Iron Anvil vs Fulton-Taylor:

The experts are divided on who they think will win this match. Two young and comer teams featuring 4 young men with a lot of promise. Iron Mike catches Taylor with a loaded forearm to score the win. Cornette hasn't done much yet to boost any skills, but at least his charges finally won a match (D+)

JYD insults the entire Rat Pack stable on the way to the ring with Butch Reed ©. Reed and JYD are doing their best to fire up the crowd before the tag title match

Rat Pack defend Mid-South Tag titles vs Reed-JYD:

Jim Ross sets the match up: "Historically, JYD was an 8-time Mid-South tag champ with 6 different partners. The Dog and Butch Reed were one of the most beloved teams, and tonight they get their chance to etch their name in the record books. Will Butch Reed become lucky number 7 for JYD and help him bring up the tag titles for a record 9th time?"

Skandar Akbar offers his services as the 3rd announcer. He reminds us that things are far from over between Kamala and Butch Reed. "In fact, I wouldn't be that upset to see new champions crowned because then my Devastation inc. would be in line to take the tag titles away from these two. I have a little surprise in store for Butch Reed. His days in Mid-South are certainly numbered."

Rat Pack seemed very timid as the match started. Maybe it had something to do with bodyguard Phil Hickerson coming to the ring carrying a stuffed pig. Maybe it had to do with their fear/respect for JYD. Reed and the Dog were the aggressors early on - they worked as a well-oiled machine, executing double back body drops, double clotheslines, and even a double headbutt. Everytime the Rat Pack tried to doubleteam JYD or Reed, the other would charge the ring to break it up. They concentrated their efforts on Matt Borne whom they considered the 'weak link' Borne was busted open as they brawled on the floor - JYD sent him head first into the steel ringside railing. Dibiase was beside himself. He paced the ring apron trying to get a tag and beseeching Hickerson to do something - besides petting the daggone pig!!!! Hacksaw Duggan came to ringside to offer some moral support. When the moment presented itself, Duggan involved himself in the match. As the wrestlers fought around ringside, he grabbed JYD and threw him into Hickerson!! Phil defended himself and scuffled a little with Junkyard Dog. Meanwhile while the referee tended to the bloody Borne, Duggan smacked Reed in the back of the head with a steel chair and rolled him into the ring. Matt covers 1...2....kick out with authority! Both men crawl to their corners to make tags - JYD is on the floor fighting with Hickerson, but Borne tags in the fresh Ted Dibiase. Ted works over the battered Butch Reed who defends himself gamely until Ted applies the Cobra Clutch. Reed's eyes are glassy - JYD gets away from Hickerson and gets in the ring just in time to break up the hold. Then he grabs hold up of the tag rope and calls for Reed. Ted and Butch both crawl to their corners...and both make tags. Borne charges him as does JYD. Borne runs right into the Big Thump Powerslam!!! and at 27:38, we have NEW tag team champs!!! Dibiase cannot believe what just happened!!! He orders Duggan and Hickerson to attack the champs and get his belts back. as they brawl, Bill Watts announces he will pit Reed vs Duggan and JYD vs Hickerson on TV Wednesday night. (C+ rating)

Dick Murdoch vs Mr. Wrestling II:

Murdoch tried to rough the masked man up, but Mr. Wrestling II put on a wrestling clinic - using several variations of the arm and hammerlock to slow down the brawling champion. Murdoch winced in pain selling the arm locks to high heaven. Everytime he got to his feet, maybe a little tug on the mask or an elbow to the mush to break hold and get a little momentum, Mr Wrestling II would counter and reapply the armlock again and take the champion to the mat. Jim Ross comments that he was cutting on the blood circulation which could render much of Dick Murdoch's offense useless. His clotheslines will not be as effective, and it remains to be seen if he'd be able to deliver his patented Brain Buster. The clinic continues as MW2 uses shoulderlocks, arm grapevines, wristlocks, and the occasional neck hold to keep Murdoch on the mat and wear him down.

By the 30 minute mark, the masked challenger was well ahead on points. The champion was able to break the hold with a face rake. Then a couple well placed punches opened a small cut on the mouth of MW2. Murdoch delivered a couple suplexes and began choking 2. The brawling was taking its toll and Murdoch was back in the match and he kept shaking his arm to get the blood flowing once again. The fans rallied their masked hero with chants of....2....2...2....2. Mister Wrestling II drives a knee into the solar plexus and then a shoulderblock sends the champ to the floor. Mr Wrestling 2 did not want a win by Count-out so he went after him. Always a gamble to chase a man like Murdoch onto the floor. Dick has twice been named by the fans as the Best Brawler in the business. Dick made him pay this time as well. He played possum until MW2 got closer then launched his attack. A piledriver on the floor left the masked man in bad shape. Dick rolls him into the ring. Then picks him for the coup de gras. Texas Brainbuster - and still North American champion at 45:09 - Dick Murdoch

B rating!!!

Final Show Rating: B-

Murdoch improves technical skills, MW2 improves performance skills

Matt Borne was used too much (he's upper midcard in a title match with 2 main eventers. Not sure I understand why I got that note).

On the plus side, a B- rating should save me from getting killed in the regional wars again. Although several others are pulling off some dynamite shows as well.

King of the Ring: no traditional tournament. Superfly and Andre defeat Studd & Superstar in main event. Backlund retains WWF title over Wild Samoan Sika (B-). Jose Luis Rivera in big win over Superstar Billy Graham!!

Nice show... Thats a great rating for Murdoch/Mr. Wrestling... As a fan I got into the tag match, and was a little shocked and jumped out of my seat to see new champs.... Whats up with Hickerson and the stuffed pig?

And Jose Luis Rivera over Superstar Billy Graham (in WWF action)... Now talk about a burial

Magnum looks like he's developing a little,just very slow;a D+ isn't SO bad considering it's the start of him being fed the "right" people to build him up.

Early results would still put TRON ahead of Magnum as far as being a low card break out performer,he delivers again for you with some quality low card action,IMO he should be put in the opening slot of the show often since that very first segment carries more weight towrads your overall grade than anyhting after that,except for the Semi-Main and Main Event.

Little win to help establish the interesting Iron Anvil team....it makes sense they have a little more tag team experience than Taylor & Fulton; Terry and Bobby still did well though, a D+ is alright considering the card position/overness of the competitors and I'm sure alot of that is due to Terry & Bobby being able to make iron Anvil look good.

The Tag Title switch was a small suprise but I feel it was done to move some plans along which could result in a good payoff down the road.

MWII & Murdoch....what can I say? The build-up paid off and they delivered for you big time; Murdoch is a great all-arounder with plenty of life left and II showed me he can still go for a good while longer if he chooses so I'll wager we'll see these continue their war for at least the forseeable future and elevate the NA Title along the way; it has the potential of being your break-out program that takes you to the next level attendance/arena size -wise.

Nice show... Thats a great rating for Murdoch/Mr. Wrestling... As a fan I got into the tag match, and was a little shocked and jumped out of my seat to see new champs.... Whats up with Hickerson and the stuffed pig?

And Jose Luis Rivera over Superstar Billy Graham (in WWF action)... Now talk about a burial

stuffed pig was just a silly thought I had. Phil Hickerson is of course a renowed bruiser, so I thought the pig might give him a softer side as his heart does not seem to be in the bodyguard role right now.

Moderndaywarrior

The Tag Title switch was a small suprise

I've struggled with who might someday might knock off the Rat Pack for the titles. While these 2 weren't in my top choices, it just worked out. I think it's going to help further a couple storylines and develop a 3rd. I have a long range plan that will grow out of this title switch - look for the payoff around Christmas depending on how it goes. It should be a doozy of a plot twist if I can pull it off.

elevate the NA Title along the way
so far Murdoch has taken the title from 80% (JYD got it up to 81.4) up to 84.4!!

I'm really not sure how to play a rematch with either 2 or JYD right now (both originals were great ones). Murdoch continues to get over and gain momentum, but guys he defeats drop like rocks (even if I try to keep them strong). As an aside, Murdoch's contract came up for renewal. I decided he was too important to lose, so caved to his demands....and doubled his salary to $3,000 per appearance!!! My contract signings don't come cheap to say the least. But if he can give me a B match every month (and Bish card) then it could be worth it. Need to find another up and comer to maybe challenge Murdoch - someone that Dirty Dick can help elevate in defeat rather than bury. Hmmmmm

thanks for the detailed analysis. TRON is gaining some cheers even if he lacks the respect of some of his compatriots (and boss). He could be an interesting enigma over the next month or so.

some insights on the future - I'm leaning toward opening up a weekly sideshow - to travel out to SE and MW and gain some fans there (just in case we may have peaked in the mid-south). My going to Monday night, everyone could be used including Tiger Conway. And in anticipation of this, Bill Watts has signed a new member to really liven things up. He will be unveiled soon and start the ball rolling on a BIG TURN.

the floor is open to venture guesses as to who the new man will be____ and who will be making that first major turn_________

I had figured the Tag Title switch was a part of something bigger, and JYD/Reed are credible enough as a tag team that it makes sense.

Looking at what Murdoch can(and does) do for you, I can see why you opened up your wallet for him;it should be ok as you were running at a profit and it looks like he could be your guy to take you to a level where you could make even more money....it will just be a matter of using him efficiently and getting your money's worth.

I guess TRON is sort of like your HBK; capable of elevating your product with some good performances but difficult to deal with outside the ring,as long as you can keep the ego in check it should be ok.

Expanding a little would be ok,you just have to be careful of hitting Cult level before you are ready;as far as markets it's a tough pick...SE is traditionally a hotbed for wrestling but has much competition,MW is not as hot as SE but has a much more open market.

My guess for the new signing is Dennis Condrey, just because you already have Phil Hickerson.

As for the turn,I pick Butch Reed;just because he was better as a heel.

to continue the fan appreciation picks, here are the next 2 groups to choose from:

Group C

Magnum TA

Dr Death Steve Williams

Tiger Conway

Mr Wrestling II

Butch Reed

JYD

Terry Taylor

TRON

Bobby Fulton

Group D

Koko B Ware

Kendo Nagasaki

Mr Olympia

Buddy Landell

Matt Borne

Chavo Guerrero

Jim Duggan

Bobby Jaggers

Kamala

Volkolff

pick your top 3 matches and PM to me,

pretty obvious to me, the roster is tilted more to the heel side right now (since I put some faces from the previous ballot onto this one too - and didn't include all the heels!! Need to scour the countryside to find a new solid face - especially if Mr Wrestling does call it quits anytime soon)

also, there is time to vote in the first batch. group A vs B

A: Crews, Taylor, Horner, TRON, Fulton, Big Jim Lancaster

vs

B: Anvil, Sharpe, Chavo, Irwin, Chick Donovan, Brickhouse Brown, Hickerson

July week 4 TV -- 2740 attend the taping

Bill Irwin defeats Big Jim Lancaster. These two do not click. Skandar did a good job at ringside to keep the fans in the match

D

Koko B Ware flops trying a promo\ kept it "dark" but still kills the crowd \

E

JYD and Butch Reed come out together - talking about the run-ins and attacks from groups like Devastation Inc and the Rat Pack. From now on, we'll watch each other's backs and try to put a stop to these attacks

C+

Koko B Ware vs Terry Taylor: 6:12, Koko hits Taylor with a missle dropkick to score the win! Big advancement for his career as Taylor seems stuck in the mud.

video of Buddy Landell hyping a match for the TV title and Magnum TA as Mid-South goes on tour this week

D-

JYD vs Phil Hickserson: Ted Dibiase tried to help his bodyguard out at ringside, and while he is a thorn in the side of the Junkyard Dog, Hickerson was no match on this day. JYD lands The Big Thump to score the win at 8:18. Hickerson just wanted his stuffed pig back. Dibiase seemed reluctant to give it to him.

C-

Mr. Olympia promo: I dispatched of TRON, so now there's only one other masked man I need to beat to prove once and for all that I am the greatest Masked Wrestler of all time. That's you Mr. Wrestling II. I'll meet you in any ring, anywhere in the country!!!!"

C-

Hacksaw Reed vs Hacksaw Duggan: Both men were off their game in the first ever Battle of the Hacksaws. Duggan was tiring at the 19:57 mark when he connects with the football tackle and uses the ropes for leverage to ensure he keeps Reed's shoulders pinned to the mat!!! Reed is upset at the decision and lets the ref hear about it.

C+

C- rating for the show which does nothing to help us

in other news:

SWCW is reported to make Bobby Jaggers the focal point of their promotion. He is on the verge of being a massive breakout star and his popularity will mean big business for them.

It seems the reports the first of July that Mr. Wrestling II planned to retire were true. At month-end, he said he was indeed hanging up his boots. The creative team thinks he might make a good manager. I don't know if I can convince him to stay on as an occassional wrestler or not. He has a lot of skills to pass on to the young guys. He was booked in the main events of our first 2 shows in August, but those matches were scrapped after this news.

Mid-South finished 6th in the Regional Wars. The worry of us hitting CULT before we are ready is unfounded. With popularity outside the home area falling below 20% now, it is doubtful we'd hit CULT in the next couple years. We will go ahead with the planned tours for now. Try to stabilize our base, give some young kids a chance to wrestle away from the bright lights. We have a core group who have some name value in different sections right around the mid-south base. Not that far of a stretch to see us visit into Mississippi (SE) or Missouri (MW) for starters, and even to our neighbors in the Southwest. Not as important as the densly populated Northeast and Tri-state regions, but all in due time.

Finances look good at month end:

A record profit of $119,874 puts over $600K in the bank!

Sponsorship money drops for the 3rd month in a row (49,683)

Merchandise sales hits a new record though!! !($10,480 // net of $6928 after expenses which is also a record). I'm going to venture into "Just in Time" controls for merchandise to see if it helps. Very curious to try the custom controls and order stuff for each wrestler - maybe somewhere down the road. DOES ANYONE ELSE USE THE CUSTOM??

Expense-wise, we spend a record $89K on salaries, and that number is likely to rise with added shows and Murdoch's new contract. We'll have to temper that with using more lower card (lower paid) talent.

July was a stellar month with each show turning a 10K profit, then the monthly boost from merchandise and sponsors. Not sure if we can keep this up. I'm sure the weekly tour will put a little strain on the profits unless we manage it tightly (and keep payroll to near the expected ticket sales - then it's just a break even to help us gain popularity and experience).

The retirement of Mr Wrestling II crushes our already low face side of the roster. May have to break out the checkbook to replace him very soon (instead of rushing any face turns before their time). August will likely be a month of turmoil as our tv contract also is coming due.

It's a shame Wrestling II decided to call it a day; clearly he could still get it done in the ring and IRL, he stuck around for for maybe 5 or so years past this as an active wrestler.....all I can say is I am looking forward to who his last match will be against, as surely that man will get the rub that could mark him for bigger and better things.

It's a shame Wrestling II decided to call it a day; clearly he could still get it done in the ring and IRL, he stuck around for for maybe 5 or so years past this as an active wrestler.....all I can say is I am looking forward to who his last match will be against, as surely that man will get the rub that could mark him for bigger and better things.

I'm hoping the I will be allowed to use him in the ring again!! He was removed from all advanced bookings automatically after I got the retirement notice. I hope he will come back out of retirement so he can have a final tour and as you say a giant final match to give someone the rub. Otherwise, I'm not sure how often I can use his inflated salary as a manager (for say Magnum TA). I'll try to sneak him into a match and see how he reacts.

If I can arrange the August supershow to be his actual finale, then maybe it would be enough to catapult us into the "Rookie Diary of the Month" race

Mid-South Wrestling goes on tour

Science Hill High School gym in Johnson City TN (which is near my original hometown). 795 attend

Jim Cornette hypes up his Raiders

He brings out the Anvil and tells the fans that he can beat anyone - and to prove it they can vote on his opponent. He ticks off a few names: Art Crews, Mike Jackson, Mike Bond, Tim Horner, Perry Jackson. (E)

The fans had an easy decision on the match they'd like to see. They picked local Morristown TN hero Tim Horner to take on Jim Cornette's ANVIL, Jim Neidhart. Jim the Anvil Neidhart defeats Tim Horner with the FLATLINER (Horner improves his performance skills a bit during the match - but fans were down after seeing him lose - E+)

Jim Ross interviews Magnum TA about his upcoming title match against Buddy Landell. Magnum thinks he will come out of top. The fans didn’t seem to care

E+

Mr Olympia comes out and is very upset!!! "I came here tonight to take on Mr. Wrestling II and prove once and for all who was the greatest masked wrestler of all time. I'm here, but where is he? He's a yellow dog coward Jim Ross and you know it." Ross tries to intervene and explain about his retirement which only makes Olympia madder. He grabs Ross by the collar and threatens him when Hacksaw Butch Reed bursts onto the scene to save the day!!!! Reed demands that if Mr. Olympia wants a match, then he's got one!! C-

Magnum TA vs Buddy Landell: Buddy tries his best to carry Magnum, but once again a disappointing match by the TV champion (his worse in a while). Magnum gets the win with Belly to Belly Suplex (D-)

Mr Olympia is fired up about his match with Butch Reed: "I'm going to show the world that I am the greatest masked wrestler in the world today. I was going to prove it by beating Mr. Wrestling II but he decided to retire last night instead of facing me. Now in the building - in a city where I've had many wild matches I'm going to face one half of the world tag team champs. Butch Reed, you stepped into something that was none of your business. After I beat you tonight, I'm going to find a tagteam partner and come after your belts!!"

Mr Olympia vs Hacksaw Butch Reed

Both men were inspired and the crowd was on their feet. The match they saw made them forget about Mr. Wrestling II no-showing the Tri Cities yet again (I remember he was billed to be at the Ed Wolfe benefit card. Ed was a local police officer who also wrestled. he lost his leg to gangrene when he thrown from the ring and landed on a chair during a match. Wolfe was a powerhouse and it was a shame that his career ended that way.)

Olympia and Reed met nose to nose in the center of the ring jawing at each other...then the fists began to fly!!!!! They traded rights and lefts and the crowd was on its feet. Reed takes Olympia out of his boots with a powerful clothesline. The match spills to the floor where both men grab chairs. The referee is able to convince them to drop the chairs and get back in the ring. Olympia gets his Sleeper hold on Reed whose eyes looked to glaze over. Reed is able to pick Mr. Olympia up on his back and runs backward into the turnbuckle to break up the hold. Reed gets his second wind and uses his power moves to batter down the masked man. Then Reed uses a sleeper of his own!!! Olympia's arms are flailing around as he gasps for breath. He is just able to grab the ropes and the referee forces Reed to break the hold. Olympia rolls from the ring to regroup. But Reed does not allow it - he follows but walks into a trap. Olympia sends him flying into the ringside railing opening a cut on his scalp. As he charges in, Reed ducks and Olympia goes flying over the railing into the front row. Blood is dripping from his nose as he gets up. The fisticuffs continue as they brawl from each side of the protective railing and the ringside fans scatter. The referee tries to restore order to no avail. These two men are intent to tear each other apart. At 24:42, the ref calls for the bell and DQ's both men for excessive brawling. But that did not stop them from fighting. They brawl their way to the back and give the fans their money's worth. (C+ rating)

Show Rating C- which will help our popularity in the Southeast

we make a $3700 profit on the show which is a nice bonus. I know some of these tour shows will be costly, but I'm hoping they will gain us some new fans. The other bonus, is we may have started good little feud!!!

In HCW, Don Kernodle get the UPSET win over Manny Fernandez in the opening bout (B-). Buzz Sawyer win over Tommy Rich rates only a D. Jay Youngblood retains the title over Road Warrior Hawk (C rated) in main event. C- card

All in all, it sounds like your typical "B-Loop" spot show they used to do...a couple matches of low card guys who people don't know much yet coming out to show off what they can do and hopefully warm the crowd up,some midcarders that people know step it up, then the well known stars that fans came to see close out with a nice little match to give the fans their money's worth.

Archived