DOTT - MIDSOUTH (the Watts Way)

Ted Dibiase vs Dick Murdoch (w/ Bill Watts) is the main match

Dibiase win elevates himself and the importance of the Rat Pack, seeing how I'm sure they'll be involved

Dr. Death and Bill Watts teaming up against Sharp-Anvil.

I like the pairing of The Iron Anvil, but Watts & Doc needd the Mo, more

Love the history book that we got going on here...And Yes wrestling was better back in the territory days... And Yes Vince ruined it all, I wonder what would've happened if Vince Jr. never took over ;-)

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
plus when Vince brought his traveling show to the territory, he was able to parade out more of their old stars than they had (so he looked more like the territory than the actual territory did).

For example, he'd roll into Mid-South and headline with Junkyard Dog, Ted Dibiase, Hacksaw Duggan, Kamala, etc. He signed guys like Roddy Piper and Ricky Steamboat who were huge stars in Mid-Atlantic (with their cross-over into Canada via the MLW connection). He raided AWA for Hogan, Ventura, Heenan, Mean Gene, and more.

Plus he threw his money around to lock up the best arenas and best TV slots everywhere. Some of the AWA's annual supercards had to be moved to a new venue - and often didn't have TV to promote them.

Guys honed their craft and gained fans across the country as they moved from territory to territory. An angle that works in San Fran can be copied and used in Dallas, then borrowed in Atlanta - and no one was the wiser. Can't exactly do that with Smackdown and Raw (only chance would be to put one on each side of the Mississippi River or Mason Dixon line - and really treat them like different territories). Always thought they should take one of their many smaller tv shows and use it to promote one of the smaller developmental territories they have. Give the guys some exposure before the big stage. But I digress.

Yep,the WWF snagged up all the prime TV times and signed WWF exclusive contracts with the bigger arenas, leaving the smaller regionals with little to no TV coverage running shows in second rate arenas.

Actually before the AWA PPV Superclash,which was headlined by Jerry lawler vs Kerry Von Erich, the WWF went to the Illinois Athletic Comission and tried to have Kerry Von Erich barred from competing due to an old statute requiring wrestlers to have all their limbs(Kerry lost part of his foot in a motorcycle accident) to ruin the Main Event.

The ironic thing is all during this phase Vince claimed he wasn't competing with other wrestling promotions,his REAL competition was mainstream TV,the movies,etc(this should have been a clue what was about to happen), recently when other wrestling companies(who we wasn't competing with) signed people away, Vince cried a river about "poor me, they're taking my guys away,what will I do?"

The even MORE ironic thing is the mainstream media always adopted the opinion that "wrestling was obviously fake,anyone drawn in by the melodramatic antics has to be real stupid,but us smart people know better".The during the 80's McMahon re-wrote history(surpise,surpise...) and made things out like the wrestling business was on its last legs until the coming of the Messiah,Jesus H. McMahon..and he took the industry and through his sheer awesome genius,breathed life back into it(total crock,business was booming for everyone in the 80's....this "ignoring history to re-educating people that in the beginning there was nothing ,and then Vince created the WWFE" tactic would become a hallmark).The mainstream media took Vince and his word,ate up everything he said,and helped get the WWF name out there....so in effect the "smart people who could tell you that there wrasslin is fake" got worked by McMahon just like a mark on the midway in the early days of professional wrestling.

Love the history book that we got going on here...And Yes wrestling was better back in the territory days... And Yes Vince ruined it all, I wonder what would've happened if Vince Jr. never took over ;-)

Things still would have changed thanks to cable TV, PPV TV and the internet,heck a little before the WWF expanded, Ole Anderson was grumbling about wanting to run GCW in more cities,particularly in markets with no official NWA promotion.....in the end I think pretty much what you'd be seeing is the whole business being alot less exposed,but product wise kind of like ROH,minus a few of the crazier bumps.

Week 2 TV

We've got quite a main event tonight as Ted Dibiase takes on Dirty Dick Murdoch in a rare heel vs heel match. But before we get there, we have a few other things to take care of:

Bill Watts & Dr. Death Steve Williams vs The Iron Anvil

My idea for this dark match was to get Watts a match before the 6-man Mayhem - and maybe have some of his overness rub off on the other 3. (Plus I like the new name provided by Oldschool). Doc and Bill work over the mid-card stars and get the win as expected. (D+)

After the match, things begin to really pick up. Ted Dibiase comes out and grabs the house mic and address some comments toward his opponent Dick Murdoch:

"We've been friends for a long time. You were always there for me when I needed you. Well, now I am here for you. Turn away from that snake in the grass Bill Watts and return home.... To friends..... I swear to you: All will be forgiven and forgotten." Murdoch seems to ponder this for a moment. Meanwhile outside the ring, the Rat Pack is sneaking up from behind with a chair....but before they got the ring, Watts and Doc cut them off. Watts picks up the chair and climbs in the ring WATTS: - "A deal is a deal Dick. You hold up your end of the bargain and I'll hold up mine. You're going to get the chance of a lifetime - a chance to face JYD at Mayhem for the North American title. All you have to do is take a pound of flesh out of Ted Dibiase.... In fact, here's a little something to help get you started." Watts has the chair in his hand which he uses to punk out Dibiase!!!!! Murdoch laughs and leaves with Watts. (C+)

The Rat Pack help Dibiase back to his feet and he cuts a fired-up promo - maybe the promo of his life: "Bill Watts, I'll take care of you at Mayhem. You can laugh now, but when you get in the ring with the Rat Pack it will be no laughing matter at all!!! As for you Dick Murdoch…I expected more from you. I don't understand why you're selling your soul to the devil. I gave you a chance to reconsider, but you turned your back on me. You'll pay for that in just a few minutes!" (B-)

Skandar Akbar and Kamala cut a promo - Friday helps Kamala comes across looking awesome (finally Friday does something good!!) B- (then a short C+ video hyping up the main event: Dibiase's attacks and Watts promising Murdoch a title shot against JYD if he'll take a pint of blood from the Rat Pack leader.

And now the moment we've been waiting for....

Ted Dibiase (and the Rat Pack) vs Dick Murdoch (and Bill Watts)

wild affair - Dibiase was off his game (something to do with being whacked by a chair before the match). Murdoch did his part as he runs Ted into the ringpost drawing blood, he throws him over the ring railing and continues to attack. Murdoch lived up to his reputation as the world's best brawler - and Dibiase improved some rumble skills as a result. Dibiase got a second wind as the match crossed the 30 minute mark as the Rat Pack got move involved in the match and Murdoch brawled with both of them. Ted's a crafty wrestler and waited for his moment. he got it when Murdoch threw him into the ring railing then charged with all his might. Dibiase was able to move at the last second. Murdoch crashed into the gate like a bull. Dibiase seized the moment and began to dish out his style of punishment. Dibiase is a master of mat wrestling and showed his wide array of moves (Dick's technical skills improve as a result). Finally, Doc and Watts are able to counter the Rat Pack and even the odds a bit. A ref bump leaves no one in charge of the action, so Watts tries to intervene to help Murdoch - once again he grabs a chair and swings...this time Dibiase ducks and Watts hits Murdoch with the chair. Dibiase then locks on his dreaded Cobra Clutch and Murdoch is on dream street! The groggy referee looks up and sees Murdoch is out cold in the hold and calls for the bell. 45:47, and winner is Ted Dibiase. Watts cannot be happy --- and something tells me Murdoch won't be too happy either. There's bound to be some spillover from this on our next tv show leading into Mayhem...

Match Rating B

Final Show rating: B-

I hoped for better - but guess there were some subtle things that kept if from getting to B (like not as many matches, not a lot of build up, etc.)

Other Action this week:

Bill Apter's Report

AWA Ray Stevens pins Hogan in the main event, Patera beats Wahoo McDaniel (B- show). Still no Bockwinkle!!

WWC Carlos Colon over Bruiser Brody in B- rated show, retains Universal title. Hercules Ayala over Tonga John to retain WWC North American title

GLOW Cheerleaders retain GLOW tag titles over the Headhunters. Matilda the Hun beat Mountain Fiji in the finale

WWF Tito Santana gets the main event and defeats Samula. Tiger Conway moves down a notch, teams with Jules Strongbow to beat the invaders (D+)

MAC Kamala gets a main event match there- losing to Jerry Brisco (I made a short term trade with MAC - sending Kamala there in return for a rather big name who will be making a big impact in Mid-South very soon... be watching for the annoucement next week).

CWA focus is still on tag team wrestling: Psycho Ward retain titles over The Fabs. New York Assassins defeat Rock & Roll Express

SEC Midnight Express defeat Stud Stable to retain SEC tag titles. Flame beat Super Olympia to retain Alabama title

SEC On their tour show, Bob Armstrong beat Flame to retain SE title (I'm sure he has strong words toward Ted Dibiase and Rat Pack over the injury to Brad). Ron Fuller and Super Olympia beat Steve Armstrong and Tonga Kid

HCW Tommy Rich beat Don Muraco for HCW I/C title. Jay Youngblood beat RW Hawk in main event. D+ show

WWF Tuesday Night Titans: pair of B+ matches see Backlund beat Muraco and Sgt Slaughter beat Andre the Giant (9913 paid)

Mid-South notes: several accolades surround the formation of a couple "young lion" stables. Rumors abound the idea for these stables came out of a contest where a couple fans sent in "midcard matches" to book. It will be curious to see how these teams and wrestlers develop.

Yep,the WWF snagged up all the prime TV times and signed WWF exclusive contracts with the bigger arenas, leaving the smaller regionals with little to no TV coverage running shows in second rate arenas.

Actually before the AWA PPV Superclash,which was headlined by Jerry lawler vs Kerry Von Erich, the WWF went to the Illinois Athletic Comission and tried to have Kerry Von Erich barred from competing due to an old statute requiring wrestlers to have all their limbs(Kerry lost part of his foot in a motorcycle accident) to ruin the Main Event.

The ironic thing is all during this phase Vince claimed he wasn't competing with other wrestling promotions,his REAL competition was mainstream TV,the movies,etc(this should have been a clue what was about to happen), recently when other wrestling companies(who we wasn't competing with) signed people away, Vince cried a river about "poor me, they're taking my guys away,what will I do?"

The even MORE ironic thing is the mainstream media always adopted the opinion that "wrestling was obviously fake,anyone drawn in by the melodramatic antics has to be real stupid,but us smart people know better".The during the 80's McMahon re-wrote history(surpise,surpise...) and made things out like the wrestling business was on its last legs until the coming of the Messiah,Jesus H. McMahon..and he took the industry and through his sheer awesome genius,breathed life back into it(total crock,business was booming for everyone in the 80's....this "ignoring history to re-educating people that in the beginning there was nothing ,and then Vince created the WWFE" tactic would become a hallmark).The mainstream media took Vince and his word,ate up everything he said,and helped get the WWF name out there....so in effect the "smart people who could tell you that there wrasslin is fake" got worked by McMahon just like a mark on the midway in the early days of professional wrestling.

That was what bothered me when he finally beat WCW. How he seemed in all his glory, finally being the only major wrestling promotion in North America that mattered. I always hate when Vince bitches about WCW spoiling the Mick Foley title win. You know darn well that he would have done the exact same thing if WCW was taped and not live.

And like you said when WCW raided his top talent it was evil Ted taking away all of my talent. He is trying to put my small family run company out of business. And yet he did the exact same thing to all of the territories just the decade before. Soon we are going to be hearing about how Larry Zb....I mean HHH is the best wrestler of all time not Flair or Thesz.:D

That was what bothered me when he finally beat WCW. How he seemed in all his glory, finally being the only major wrestling promotion in North America that mattered. I always hate when Vince bitches about WCW spoiling the Mick Foley title win. You know darn well that he would have done the exact same thing if WCW was taped and not live.

And like you said when WCW raided his top talent it was evil Ted taking away all of my talent. He is trying to put my small family run company out of business. And yet he did the exact same thing to all of the territories just the decade before. Soon we are going to be hearing about how Larry Zb....I mean HHH is the best wrestler of all time not Flair or Thesz.:D

Bank on it, Vinnie Mac is not going around buying up the video libraries of all the old regionals because he wants to make sure history is preserved....that'll all be locked away in the archives and the only time you will see it is when he wants show how some star or another was nobody until he came to WWFE and Vinnie Mac,though his sheer awesomeness,molded him into a worldwide superstar.

As I once saw it put "The WWF ignored all the traditions of wrestling and marketed soley to the fickle casual fan,who were easily blinded by the bright lights,colors,and music,then re-educated them until the masses believed the WWF was the only worthwhile product,now or ever." Even now,if you watch interviews where Steve Corino and other more "old school" type wrestlers talk about their WWE experiences, they tell you the script writers take offense if you call it wrestling...."we're not a wrestling company,we're an entertainment company" is one of the quotes.

Funny thing is,McMahon still doesn't quite seem to get that by trying to be "mainstream" in the long run he shoots himself in the foot....pop culture is extremely fickle,what's hot now is yesterday's news in no time;and the way he runs things he only very rarely has a consistent base of "hardcore" type fans, instead having to rely on constantly jacking around with things to try and catch the next wave.You never heard all this jazz about the business being "cyclical" before the WWF went big....the closest thing you might have heard is "Attendance usually goes down some in the summer,when the economy is doing bad,and when we aren't running good matches".

Ironically, two of the most well known indy companies, ROH and ECW(the Philly based Heyman run company of the 90's,not the WWE C-Brand show we see now)...both had(and have) a rabid base of hardcore fans...and both of them essentially did it by running their company "the old fashioned way"....I think that must burn Vince up on some level or another.

Oh yeah, Larry Z does deserve one award....."Best Staller Ever" :)

Things still would have changed thanks to cable TV, PPV TV and the internet,heck a little before the WWF expanded, Ole Anderson was grumbling about wanting to run GCW in more cities,particularly in markets with no official NWA promotion.....in the end I think pretty much what you'd be seeing is the whole business being alot less exposed,but product wise kind of like ROH,minus a few of the crazier bumps.

I think really, the only thing Vince was guilty of, is seeing the future perhaps a tad faster then the other guys. AWA was trying to do the same, and there were other's (Maple Leaf comes to mind) that wasn't happy with the territorial idea to start with. I think alot of them ended up working for Vince, as they seen it coming a mile away as well.

It was probably a much more efficient system, but as you said, you could already start seeing alot more wrestling as Cable got going.... It was on almost every night of the week from somewhere, and you just hoped one of your favorites would be on, lol. I still say, what really helped WWF more then anything, was the TV Spot they took from GCW. Most of us hated WWF Championship Wrestling, as opposed to Georgia, but they did it so slick (same name almost), you just figured that Georgia changed their name to WWF.

So here comes Jim Crockett saying "Hey, everyone hates your show, why don't you let me purchase it?" and Vince did.... Although he didn't allow Ted Turner to do it. People tend to forget that Ted Turner was all out and out trying to get his own wrestling show for the same purpose's.... and eventually did. I think he actually bought the time slot from Crocket later down the road.

But you could already see different territories wrestling shows, because of cable.

I think really, the only thing Vince was guilty of, is seeing the future perhaps a tad faster then the other guys. AWA was trying to do the same, and there were other's (Maple Leaf comes to mind) that wasn't happy with the territorial idea to start with. I think alot of them ended up working for Vince, as they seen it coming a mile away as well.

It was probably a much more efficient system, but as you said, you could already start seeing alot more wrestling as Cable got going.... It was on almost every night of the week from somewhere, and you just hoped one of your favorites would be on, lol. I still say, what really helped WWF more then anything, was the TV Spot they took from GCW. Most of us hated WWF Championship Wrestling, as opposed to Georgia, but they did it so slick (same name almost), you just figured that Georgia changed their name to WWF.

So here comes Jim Crockett saying "Hey, everyone hates your show, why don't you let me purchase it?" and Vince did.... Although he didn't allow Ted Turner to do it. People tend to forget that Ted Turner was all out and out trying to get his own wrestling show for the same purpose's.... and eventually did. I think he actually bought the time slot from Crocket later down the road.

But you could already see different territories wrestling shows, because of cable.

Mostly,I don't think it was going big time that upsets people with Vince...it is more his business practices in doing it: the way he totally threw away wrestling's rich past, locked up talent so noone else could use them instead of sharing, as well as directing things away from presenting it as an athletic contest and towards presenting it as a combined soap opera/stunt show or movie action sequence that makes guys mad....he basically threw away the product everyone knew for years(after swearing up and down that wasn't his intention) and replaced it with something totally different.

Way before the WWF went big time, you had similar situations: What most people think of todady as "Memphis Wrestling" was actually created when Jerry Jarrett and Jerry Lawler broke away from the long time established promoter,Nick Gulas,established their own company, then took half of the Tennesse circuit away with them, then eventually ran Gulas out of business by having a "hotter" product.Long before the WWF, GCW had started to run outside its "area" on the strength of it's national TV program...WCCW also followed suit a little before the WWF on the strength of its syndicated TV show......I think the difference with all 3 there though,is they didn't drastically change their product or promote themselves as something other than wrestling.

Really at the end of the day, the credit for WWF going big time is not due to Vince,but rather to Sam Muchnik....he ran St.Louis and held alot of power within the NWA Board of Directors for years,it was his personality and hard work that kept things running smoothly; when he retired(sometime around '82),and with much of the old guard of the NWA also retiring, there was noone to hold it together and alot of the promoters decided to "go for it",Vince just happened to be the one to come out on top.

Mostly,I don't think it was going big time that upsets people with Vince...it is more his business practices in doing it: the way he totally threw away wrestling's rich past, locked up talent so noone else could use them instead of sharing, as well as directing things away from presenting it as an athletic contest and towards presenting it as a combined soap opera/stunt show or movie action sequence that makes guys mad....he basically threw away the product everyone knew for years(after swearing up and down that wasn't his intention) and replaced it with something totally different.

Way before the WWF went big time, you had similar situations: What most people think of todady as "Memphis Wrestling" was actually created when Jerry Jarrett and Jerry Lawler broke away from the long time established promoter,Nick Gulas,established their own company, then took half of the Tennesse circuit away with them, then eventually ran Gulas out of business by having a "hotter" product.Long before the WWF, GCW had started to run outside its "area" on the strength of it's national TV program...WCCW also followed suit a little before the WWF on the strength of its syndicated TV show......I think the difference with all 3 there though,is they didn't drastically change their product or promote themselves as something other than wrestling.

Really at the end of the day, the credit for WWF going big time is not due to Vince,but rather to Sam Muchnik....he ran St.Louis and held alot of power within the NWA Board of Directors for years,it was his personality and hard work that kept things running smoothly; when he retired(sometime around '82),and with much of the old guard of the NWA also retiring, there was noone to hold it together and alot of the promoters decided to "go for it",Vince just happened to be the one to come out on top.

/nod. I can't help but to take up with Vince on some accounts though. There was the NWA championship problems, and alot of other stuff going on that was keeping/holding people back that could have broke out before they did. Alot of the "iron hand" of the NWA elites, didn't want to play ball, in what I would consider to be a more fair approach.... Vince broke his dad's heart, with what he did though... I can't help to think that it would have been gone if he didn't do it.. Someone else would have done it.

GCW's wrestling show is what alot of things revolved around. Vince bassically took it over, but the viewership went way down. Crocket then buys it from Vince, and then later Ted Turner takes it from Crocket, well..> He bassically bought the whole promotion from Crocket, and then you know WCW and all happened. There was a good chance that would have beaten out WWF, if things would have been done alot more different then when Crocket had controll, but they bassically did the same things. First class tickets to all events, blowing money left and right, etc. Alot of people see the ratings as the number one thing, but it was definately the money in the end that was being wasted...Vince is into money.

Vince hogging all the old school stuff wouldn't have been so bad if he had released this footage over the years, instead of waiting 20 to 30 years later... when most wouldn't even understand the credibility of them.

It's like on these boards, alot of people get the wrong idea of the territory system. I think alot of times it's compared to "Indie" type wrestling, when a better comparison, if you could compare, would be alot of "ECW/TNA" type promotions around. They had the popularity, but they come from a long history (without national TV at first). We knew the stars back then, as they travelled (you pointed out). We knew who Harley Race, Ric Flair, Duggan, etc. We knew them all, no matter what promotion they worked for, because they eventually ended up on our show as well, and we had magazines. Magazines back then = Internet now. Tapes back then = DVD's now., etc.

Vince broke away by letting everyone know he knew they knew, lol. I don't know how else to put it. Definately went from "grown-ups" to "kids" show.

I guess... Maybe since I come from an "entertainment" point of view (doing live events myself, only with music), I have a soft spot for it or something. I notice I end up on the other end (mainly because I want to give more balance to the situation) of the debate more times then not.

EDIT: What's funny to me though, throughout all this mess... Is you have alot of people critiqueing that actually enjoyed the point in history that all this created... which was the Monday night War/Attitude era. I would say 1991 is when everything was set in place (the territories were officially out), although what was it... 1983 or so was the official beginning of the end.

Here is the line-up for the Mayhem Supershow

MAIN EVENTS:

JYD defends North American title vs Dirty Dick Murdoch

(heat is B - up from C+ when it was first announced)

6-man mayhem match

Rat Pack (Dibiase, Borne, Duggan) vs Watts Warriors (Bill Watts, Mr. Wrestling II, and Dr. Death Steve Williams)

(heat has improved to C- , up from a D-)

Tiger Conway will be in action against a very special Mid-South star hand-picked just for him (E+ -- hard to increase heat when I can't even mention his name or show his picture on TV due to his WWF contracts)

Hacksaw Reed vs Nicolai Volkolff (D heat)

Mr Olympia vs Terry Taylor (E, up from E- with recent storyline)

Koko B Ware vs Tim Horner (F)

Wild Bill Irwin vs Mike Bond

I just noticed Horner is an evil giant, lol. I need to change his gimmick to something more realistic, but from what I can tell that means he'll be out of action 90 days - unless someone knows of something he can do that would take less time (or if there is a way to edit it)/ I could always wait until he needs a gimmick change, but whoever knows when that happen

Magnum TA is the only wrestler who cannot attend the Sunday supershows.

I have one Television show left to hype the big event - and a major announcment will be also be made on the tv show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sF5m0ubRWc&feature=related (the other time Murdoch crossed paths with Dibiase)

JYD vs. Dick Murdoch

They have not crossed paths much....yet,I think JYD wins to take the first meeting.

Rat Pack vs. Watts' Warriors

Personally,I don't want to see the owner winning;rather have the bad guys go up and slap him around to build for better things.

Tiger Conway vs ???

Conway's only real use now is to give wins to guys you like;I think we'll see the debut of a guy you like.

Mr.Olympia vs. Terry Taylor

Olympia is a little more seasoned, he needs the win to carry this thing.

Koko Ware vs. Tim Horner

Ware is just a little bit better,plus Tim's gimmick is set wrong.

Double check your roster to make sure the gimmicks are all set right....I probably just missed him or misclicked when I fixed all the gimmicks;I just want to make sure you have the "correct" version.

Will Bill Irwin vs. Mike Bond

Typical TV match material here

JYD vs. Dick Murdoch

maybe Dibiase involve himself here

Rat Pack vs. Watts' Warriors

I agree with moderndaywarrior... Think it will benefit the rat Pack more

Tiger Conway vs ???

For same reason Moderndaywarrior stated.... Since you said a pretty big name, I'll guess Dick Slater

Butch Reed vs Nicolai Volkoff

Lte Edit as I forgot this pick... I'll go with Reed, because I'm not buyinginto Volkoff as far as long term plans go, however I could be wrong!

Mr.Olympia vs. Terry Taylor

Taylor is definately a future player, so why not start him off now... A win over Olympia may do wonders for him

Koko Ware vs. Tim Horner

A good big man alway beats a good little man, and Tim Horner is an evil Giant (I say run with it ;-) .... Kidding aside Koko takes it

Wild Bill Irwin vs. Mike Bond

Squash

Great clip of Dibiase/Murdoch angle... One of the best angles in history of the sport if you ask me... Double turns and the heat they both get is through the roof....

JYD defends North American title vs Dirty Dick Murdoch

Another one bites the dust.

Rat Pack (Dibiase, Borne, Duggan) vs Watts Warriors (Bill Watts, Mr. Wrestling II, and Dr. Death Steve Williams)

I have to go with the Rat Pack as well for the reasons that were said in the previous two posts.

Tiger Conway vs. ???

Nine times out of ten ??? wins so why not go with it?

Hacksaw Reed vs Nicolai Volkolff

I will go with Butch here, no real reason just a hunch.

Mr Olympia vs Terry Taylor

Terry has yet to live up to what he became so I will go with Mr. Olympia.

Koko B Ware vs Tim Horner

I find the thought of Tim being an evil giant awsome! What was he like 5'9? Maybe he has a Napoleon Complex!:D

Well seeing as I have no idea who Mike Bond is and I remember Bill Irwin from Global, I will stick with who I know.

Great clip of Dibiase/Murdoch angle... One of the best angles in history of the sport if you ask me... Double turns and the heat they both get is through the roof....

I agree, IMO it's the most masterful piece of booking ever in the sport; At the start of the show, Murdoch was a top babyface and DiBiase was the most hated man in Mid-South.....at the end of a 60 minute show they managed to swap roles....simply brilliant.

That was also one the best uses of a World Champion on a TV show as well...usually the just brought the Champ out,had him talk a little, then lose or time limit finish with the top guy to pop the gate for the show with the upcoming World Title defense; instead they used him as a catalyst for a major storyline that left everyone involved looking strong and not only popped the gate for Flair's next appearance but popped the gate for every show in the territory for months.....THAT'S genius!

Let's see if I do as bad as Olympia does with TNA... ;)

JYD vs Dirty Dick Murdoch

I've heard of JYD :D

DiBiase was one of my favourites when I started watching wrestling. And his powerslam is awesome.

Tiger Conway v Mid-South star hand-picked just for him

I go for the mystery opponent simply because it could be anyone of a select few.

Hacksaw Reed vs Nicolai Volkolff

Go comrade!

Mr Olympia vs Terry Taylor

Olympia's dynasty so Mr Olympia will win

Koko B Ware vs Tim Horner

I take it Horner is a small guy, so if he's playing an evil giant he has to win!

Now if Wild Bill were facing James Bond it would be a completely different outcome.

Do you like my logic on some of the picks? :D

Let me say this first: I always wanted to have the chance to see MidSouth/UWF but I have never had the chance. Therefore this may not make sense, did Bill Watts ever use off-the wall humor at all in his promotion. From what I remember of him in WCW, I can guess the answer is no.

The reason why I ask is because you could totally run with Tim Horner being an angry giant. You know the shorter guy who thinks he is a giant, trying to beat everyone down. Does it make much sense? No but it could be funny!

Also, who in the hell is Mike Bond?

Let me say this first: I always wanted to have the chance to see MidSouth/UWF but I have never had the chance. Therefore this may not make sense, did Bill Watts ever use off-the wall humor at all in his promotion. From what I remember of him in WCW, I can guess the answer is no.

The reason why I ask is because you could totally run with Tim Horner being an angry giant. You know the shorter guy who thinks he is a giant, trying to beat everyone down. Does it make much sense? No but it could be funny!

Also, who in the hell is Mike Bond?

Watts did use occasional humor,but with a point...The Midnight Express/Rock N' Roll Express Feud,which was one of the hottest tag feud around, started off in Mid-South with Jim Cornette holding a victory party then ending up wearing the cake.....angry rant,he vows revenge..and there you go.

If you think Horner as an Eil Giant is bad, until I fixed the gimmicks Andre The Giant was some sort of Naughty School Girl. :eek:

Oh,Mike Bond....he's MSW's answer to S.D.Jones.....or Barry Horowitz.....or The Mulkey Brothers......

Nobby, ur picks could never be as bad as my TNA predictions., lol. I think Vince Russo just looks at what I say and goes in a totally opposite direction.

I threw Mike Bond into a match at Mayhem because Mid-South historically had at least one jobber match on their supercards and just trying to follow suit. I have 3 "face" matbacks, but none on the heel side (just lower midcarders). Need to start using them more to build up some wins for the bad guys

as for gimmicks, think I read Bruiser Brody was set up as a drag queen at one time too. Hopefully I have the revised roster, but I can't see their gimmicks right now and can't verify. The rest of mine look good. As for Horner, I'm sure we can have a little fun with evil giant side along the way until I decide to fix it.

BTW: The predictions from the four of you has me rethinking a couple of my initial ideas. Nothing drastic, but your thoughts should make things turn out even better in the long run. Time will tell

Yes,Brody was set to "drag queen" at one point, Abby had something simlarly rediculous...eventually it led to me going through all 1,467 wrestlers one at a time,fixing their gimmicks....I went through every title belt in the game and matched up the title holder as best as i could with RL history for April 1983.Let's just say that's something I don't want to be doing on a regular basis lol.

If you turn out to have the "bad roster" version, just pm me your e-mail and I'll send you the "re-worked" version.

week 3

TV from Tingley Field in Alb. NM - sold out (2000)

Raiders do interview with Jim Ross about their big wins. If Terry Taylor thinks he's a better young star than our own Buddy Landell - well at Mayhem he can prove it against Mr. Olympia. Our talent is second to none.

At that, Magnum TA strolls out and explains that they need to do more talking in the ring if the Raiders want to prove they are the best. Anvil sends Iron Mike to take care of Magnum (D+)

Magnum TA vs Iron Mike Sharpe

just like we used to see on tv all the time, Belly to Belly Suplex pins Iron Mike in only 2:34. Sharpe is furious, and the Anvil is even madder. He tells Magnum to watch his back -- "Maybe I'll take you on next time!!!" (D)

Raiders are back in action

Buddy Landell & Mr Olympia team up vs Terry Taylor & evil giant Tim Horner

Olympia's performance stood out, but it was the Raider's young star Landel who forced Horner to submit to his Figure 4 at 6:22. (D)

MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!

Jim Ross and Boyd Pearce make announcement that Terry Funk defeated NWA World champion Ric Flair in Mid-Atlantic. More news: On July 4th, the world champion will be coming to Mid-South to face our North American Champion!!!! D+

Jim Ross interviews Mr. Olympia who puts himself over pretty well. "Terry Taylor, Mangum TA, and anyone else who gets in our way are going to get hurt." ©

Rat Pack promo video about their upcoming match vs Mr Wrestling, Bill Watts, and Dr. Death; ©

Dr. Death powerbombs Wild Bill Irwin for a 7:32 win. Skandar did his best at ringside for Irwin, but he and Doc just didn't click and of course troube-maker Williams was just off his game. Who will he want to pick on after tonight's card? (D)

Video of Skandar and Kamala plays next showing their matches and bodyslam challenges with Butch Reed. Wanted to include Tiger Conway somehow, but I can't even include him on a video or talk about him since he's on WWF tv tonight (C-)

Dick Murdoch gets his small measure of revenge- Texas Brainbuster gives him the win at 9:44 (since Watts accidently hit Dick with a chair last week, Dick asked for this match. Now he has his full attention on JYD and the NA title). Watts improves rumble skills going against the top brawler in the biz. ©

video of new visiting the area next month: The US Marshals ( "Marshal Dillion" and "Rooster Cogburn") D

JYD vs Matt Borne

JYD overpowers Matt Borne and wins with the Big Thump at 18:43. JYD was visibly tiring at the end, but makes his 3rd defense of the NA title. Dick Murdoch boosted the match doing color commentary (B-)

JYD and Dick Murdoch face off to hype their North American title match at Mayhem to end the show - the crowd is on the edge of their seats as the show comes to an end (B-)

Overall Show Rating: C+ should improve our popularity - and in the upset of the night, Dr. Death Steve Williams simply packed up his bag and went home quietly. Amazing!

MAYHEM IS UP NEXT!

Archived