ESPN Classic = My new favorite tv station

wrestlingfan1

Thats saying a lot considering my severe lack of interest in anything sports other than UFC and Pro Wrestling ( yeah I know its not "Technically" a sport. ) One night while at work ( a sports bar ) I was changing the channels on all of the tv's to one of the 4 or so ESPN channels we have, ESPN Classic being one of them, and low and behold, at 11pm what do i hear as I'm turning the channel on the next tv, " Hello ladies and gentlemen and welcome to AWA!!!!!!!!!! " They actually show wrestling from the Glory Days.

Not sure what the purpose of this was other than letting others who may not have known about it.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ESPN Classic + AWA = Epic Win !!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, they've had that for a couple years now. While I do like it (OMG look at Bischoff's HAIR :p), I can't say that makes Classic better than my NFL Network. :p Really cool though :)

EDIT: And OMG you work at a sports bar? I know that many of the sports bars (and even the Irish-style pubs) here show that channel ALL THE FREAKIN' TIME. The old ABC Wide World of Sports shows are also really popular, it seems.

I don't know if the AWA stuff in particular is a newthing for them. But ESPN Classic has done this for a long time. They've shown some of the classic black and whites. Indy action from the 70's. These AWA shows. Some of my really strong classic wrestling ideas like my wish to see more of Johnny Valentine, my ridicule of Dory Dixon's dropkick, my entire knowledge of Moose Cholak and my deep abiding antipathy toward the wrestling skills of Bobo Brazil come from matches I saw while we had ESPN Classic. And it's been several years since it was available for non-digital viewers here in Tidewater.

The thing I hate about watching all of the old AWA shows, is that I know who is going to win every match with the exception of the main event! Pretty much if I have heard of the wrestler and they are fighting someone that I never heard of well the person that I have heard of is going to get the win. So when I see Jerry Blackwell vs. some guy I do not not, well rest assured Jerry Blackwell is going to get the win.

ESPN Classic used to show quite a bit of wrestling from Chicago and Detroit; at one point I remember seeing a somewhat well known match between The Sheik and Mark Lewin for the U.S.Title(from the early 70's I think)that ends in a fireball to the face,at a time when fire was very rare;they sold it in a very real way which made me think "Now that is how a blast of fire to the face SHOULD be handled".

The thing I hate about watching all of the old AWA shows, is that I know who is going to win every match with the exception of the main event! Pretty much if I have heard of the wrestler and they are fighting someone that I never heard of well the person that I have heard of is going to get the win. So when I see Jerry Blackwell vs. some guy I do not not, well rest assured Jerry Blackwell is going to get the win.

Yeah, all the Cheap Seats rule apply to most of the AWA shows. Especially as it gets into the late 80s.

Yeah. Too bad that style of booking would not go over well anymore (no one's going to watch jobber/squash matches anymore). It was kinda fun watching those old stars just completely destroy Joe Paycheck.

Yeah, they've had that for a couple years now. While I do like it (OMG look at Bischoff's HAIR :p), I can't say that makes Classic better than my NFL Network. :p Really cool though :)

Couldn't agree more. Love NFL Network. Love NFL Radio on Sirius even more though, even if Adam Shein is a douche.

Yeah. Too bad that style of booking would not go over well anymore (no one's going to watch jobber/squash matches anymore). It was kinda fun watching those old stars just completely destroy Joe Paycheck.

I don't know so much that it wouldn't, Remi. On a mainline show line a RAW or Impact, you might be right. But you have a company that's just reaching TNA level and getting TV for the first time, I see no reason why jobber squashes in like a throwaway weekend lunch or dinner time slot couldn't work. After all, in that scenario it would be about getting folks to know your stars. And it would be a refuge for those seeking to escape wall to wall college sports or depressing nightly newscasts on the weekend. Heck, even WWECW's used this format the last several times I've watched it since they aren't the mainline show. It would take just the right recipe of TV channel, product, and realistic management for this to come off but I do think it would be possible.

Archived