The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

WWE's Twitter account addressed Alberto Del Rio's firing on Friday: "@VivaDelRio is responsible for his own actions. If you're angry at anyone, be angry at Alberto. There's no excuse for a pro athlete not to conduct themselves in a professional manner." Read the tweets at Twitter.com/WWE.

Powell's POV: This is a bizarre move by WWE that makes me wonder if Del Rio is still with the company or if someone went into business for themselves. It's not like the company to issue a statement in this manner let alone plug the Twitter address of a fired wrestler.

From ProWrestling.NET

The company that still employs guys with "old school" bully mentalities like JBL complaining about their independent contractors not conducting themselves in a "professional manner" is pretty funny.

Obviously ADR isn't 100% in the right to touch anybody backstage, but I think we've all been there in TEW where an incident saves you the trouble of paying a guy his final few months.

Seriously? Wow. Stay classy, NXT fans. I absolutely love the fact that they chant whatever the hell they want but there is a difference between giving your opinion ("You can't wrestle!") and just straight up attacking someone. Bless her, that's totally uncalled for.

I'd expect that kind of crap from a Philly or New York crowd, but not from a Florida one. They're vocal, but they're usually just there for fun.

As members of the F4WOnline.com message board were discussing Del Rio's termination and speculating which WWE employee was on the receiving end of his slap, Wrestling Observer editor Dave Meltzer remarked "Cody Barbierri."

On LinkedIn and Twitter, Barbierri identifies himself as WWE's manager of social media live events. Though not identified by name, F4WOnline.com's updated story on Del Rio's termination says the altercation involved the social media manager of WWE.

According to the new report, WWE's social media manager was supposedly asked to wipe his plate clean following a meal in catering. He allegedly joked that it was Del Rio's job to clean the plate, which could be perceived as racist by Hispanic people. Del Rio was informed of the comment, and confronted him. The individual did not apologize for his remark and then smiled at him. Fuming, Del Rio slapped him.

Addressing the matter Friday evening, WWE released a statement via Twitter asking fans to direct their anger toward Del Rio since he did not conduct himself in a professional matter: "@VivaDelRio is responsible for his own actions. If you're angry at anyone, be angry at Alberto. There's no excuse for a pro athlete not to conduct themselves in a professional manner."

Paul "Triple H" Levesque, WWE's Executive Vice President, Talent, Live Events and Creative, re-Tweeted the comment in its entirety.

AJ Lee was close to the same fate last year until Vince intervened:

Meltzer addressed the matter again on the F4WOnline.com message board in response to a user comparing it to Lee's outburst at Beadle. He revealed that WWE officials had decided to terminate her contract over her unprofessional conduct, but were overruled by Vince McMahon.

"A.J. wasn't safe at all," Meltzer wrote. "There was a reason she wasn't fired and it had nothing to do with Punk being her boyfriend nor how good a performer she was, although her star power did play into it."

He continued, "The decision was made to fire her but Vince overruled it because he saw the big picture. It's very complicated, but in that issue, Vince was savvy way beyond those underneath him and saw what would happen long-term and made the big picture smart call. If that happened now, the situation would be the same and she wouldn't be fired for the same reason. Her being fired for that specific incident would have caused a chain of events to happen next that Vince thought would do the company more harm than good. There is no guarantee he was right in how he thought it would play out but it was far more foresight than is usually exhibited in these situations."

Smackdown Review:

Ambrose & Rollins - Funny Ambrose promo about possible stipulations for their SS match. Rollins was solid and used the $9.99 line, which Dean turned back on him. Not keen on a Lumberjack match unless it leads to a Street Fight rematch at Night of Champions.

Rybaxel vs Henry & Show - OK match but too slow-paced. Axel actually showed some personality at the start, having fun with Henry. The loss didn't help Rybaxel heading into SS.

Ziggler vs Rollins - Good match and a clean victory for Rollins. He's being booked stronger than most MITB holders.

Natalya vs Paige - OK match that could have been good if were given more time. Nattie tapped to the PTO. Good character work from Paige.

Big E vs Rusev - OK match. Again, they weren't given enough time to put on a good match like we sure during their feud.

Ambrose vs Orton - Good match ending in a DQ. Ambrose got the best of Rollins until Orton RKO'd him. Rollins stole a cup of soda, poured it on Ambrose and delivered a Curb Stomp.

Verdict: Average show. With half the roster on tour they did well to focus on Rollins & Ambrose. There were 2 good matches but everything else seemed rushed.

Really? Just a slap? And if that guy did make a crack like that in public, he was asking to get smacked.

And there's the difference. Do it in public, deserve a slap.

Do it at work, and then get physically assaulted (which is what a slap is) at work, and your employers are duty bound to do something about it. Now if this was a wrestler then maybe WWE could have done something else, but if a wrester slaps effectively an office member of staff, they had no choice. Doesn't matter what the guy did to get slapped. Doesn't matter what disciplinary route he's currrently going down.

WWE have a duty of care to their employees, which is sorted out through an HR process (which the social media guy is probably going through right now, so that's the duty of care to ADR). They may have will skimped on this process previously, but they really don't need a public employee tribunal right now. It made it easier for them it was ADR - it's an easy loss. But they've set the bar now - if Orton did the same (at least to a non-wrestler), bye bye.

And there's the difference. Do it in public, deserve a slap.

Do it at work, and then get physically assaulted (which is what a slap is) at work, and your employers are duty bound to do something about it. Now if this was a wrestler then maybe WWE could have done something else, but if a wrester slaps effectively an office member of staff, they had no choice. Doesn't matter what the guy did to get slapped. Doesn't matter what disciplinary route he's currrently going down.

WWE have a duty of care to their employees, which is sorted out through an HR process (which the social media guy is probably going through right now, so that's the duty of care to ADR). They may have will skimped on this process previously, but they really don't need a public employee tribunal right now. It made it easier for them it was ADR - it's an easy loss. But they've set the bar now - if Orton did the same (at least to a non-wrestler), bye bye.

The more I learn about the business world, the more I think it's stupid.

The more I learn about the business world, the more I think it's stupid.

It's just common sense. You can't physically assault another employee no matter the situation (excluding self-defense of course) without expecting to be punished as the aggressor. ADR should have reported the racism to a higher up instead seeing as the guy was an employee and not a wrestler.

If it had been a wrestler it would have probably ended in Wrestler's Court with Taker, JBL, or Zeb Coulter and WWE wouldn't have interfered.

It's just common sense. You can't physically assault another employee no matter the situation (excluding self-defense of course) without expecting to be punished as the aggressor. ADR should have reported the racism to a higher up instead seeing as the guy was an employee and not a wrestler.

If it had been a wrestler it would have probably ended in Wrestler's Court with Taker, JBL, or Zeb Coulter and WWE wouldn't have interfered.

Common sense doesn't always win out when you're angry. And there really needs to be a different word than "assault" when it's a slap or the like. Assault makes me think that the victim was brutalized, not that their cheek might be a little red.

I get punishing him for stepping out of line, regardless of how justified I think he might have been, but did he really do something worth a firing? Especially considering the not exactly "professional" history of WWE, it seems a bit hypocritical to me.

Common sense doesn't always win out when you're angry. And there really needs to be a different word than "assault" when it's a slap or the like. Assault makes me think that the victim was brutalized, not that their cheek might be a little red.

Anger overruling common sense always leads to trouble. Plus we don't have video of the slap and ADR is a big guy. Him slapping someone could be way more than "a little red"

I get punishing him for stepping out of line, regardless of how justified I think he might have been, but did he really do something worth a firing? Especially considering the not exactly "professional" history of WWE, it seems a bit hypocritical to me.

The issues I think you are talking about are between wrestlers. This was a wrestler vs a regular employee. Most of the stories involving wrestlers vs non-wrestlers always end up with the wrestler at fault. Such as Vader and the foreign interviewer or the John Stossel vs David Schultz interview.

Legally, "assault" doesn't even require any contact at all. And yes, in most any job, physically striking somebody is grounds for termination: this isn't a locker room dispute between athletes, it's an athlete physically striking an office worker.

The issues I think you are talking about are between wrestlers. This was a wrestler vs a regular employee. Most of the stories involving wrestlers vs non-wrestlers always end up with the wrestler at fault. Such as Vader and the foreign interviewer or the John Stossel vs David Schultz interview.

JBL and Joey Styles got in an actual fight, and again, both still work there.

And Vader actually being arrested and missing shows while he was waiting to come back to America didn't result in his firing, so it's really not a very comparable situation. Vader probably would've welcomed a firing, considering in 1997, he could've easily signed a new deal in Japan or jumped to WCW without missing much of anything, instead of being jobbed out and called fat on TV for 6 months.

But we're not that far removed from Cameron trying to bribe cops to avoid a DUI, or AJ getting into a fight backstage with a non-wrestler. One was slated to be in a reality show and one was seen as having some value down the road, and both are still in the company. ADR was unlikely to stick with WWE unless he took a significant pay cut, and this way they avoid having to deal with him at all. Again, it was just a convenient excuse for WWE to let the guy go, regardless of whether he was at fault.

Legally, "assault" doesn't even require any contact at all.

Just to illustrate this. My mom's ex boyfriend got arrested one time for spitting on cop. They charged him with assaulting an officer. The judge ended up throwing the case out because the cop was being ridiculous.

Del Rio is better off without WWE. If the occurrence was that an employee made a disparaging remark about Del Rio, he was fully within his right to confront the employee the way that he did. The lines get blurred when he 'assaulted' the co-worker. In every day life, what he did was stick up for himself - I see nothing wrong with that. In the business world - you stick your tail between your legs and be the smarter man. Did the guy deserve to be slapped? If he said what he said, refused to apologize and smirk? He deserved a hell of a lot more.

Del Rio should have reported him for harassment. If WWE did nothing about it (which I believe they wouldn't) he'd have a pretty good shot at a lawsuit.

Del Rio is better off without WWE. If the occurrence was that an employee made a disparaging remark about Del Rio, he was fully within his right to confront the employee the way that he did. The lines get blurred when he 'assaulted' the co-worker. In every day life, what he did was stick up for himself - I see nothing wrong with that. In the business world - you stick your tail between your legs and be the smarter man. Did the guy deserve to be slapped? If he said what he said, refused to apologize and smirk? He deserved a hell of a lot more.

A lot of people deserve a lot of things but that isn't how life works. Violence hasn't been the solution for a long time.

Del Rio should have reported him for harassment. If WWE did nothing about it (which I believe they wouldn't) he'd have a pretty good shot at a lawsuit.

This is what should have happened. This is how the modern world works.

That's not how the world has ever worked

Yes he should have reported the guy but that's just like telling a kid they should tell a teacher if another kid wants to fight them. One way is technically the "right" way but we all know human nature has never followed rules, especially not when those humans is a 240 pound dude with an admittedly short temper who used to fight legitimately as his profession

That was just bad in every way. Daniel Bryan looks bad to the kids, Brie looks stupid for automatically believing without proof, and that chick will now disappear to never be seen again.

Just like how Alicia Fox disappeared after Triple H accused Edge of having an affair with her?

Assault is the threat of physical harm. Battery is actual physical harm.

Kevin Steen: "But I also can’t wait to get in the ring with Bray Wyatt because I find him to be probably the most intriguing person in WWE right now. And whether it’s by his side or standing across from him in the ring, I think he and I can do something special eventually, so I’m really looking forward to hopefully getting that chance."

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/totally-fangirling.gif