The Official Movie Discussion Thread

Stennick

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="steesh07" data-cite="steesh07" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25823" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I've just recently watched Hacksaw Ridge and was definitely one of the best films I've seen in recent memory. Not really a fan of Andrew Garfield, always feels contrived and not really a believable actor. But the story (I didn't actually know it was a true story) was truly epic and definitely going to be worth another watch soon. I preferred it to Dunkirk too which I wasn't expecting.<p> </p><p> Anyone else seen Hacksaw Ridge?</p></div></blockquote><p> I watched it last month actually! Great film. Funnily enough, they actually played the drama down in the film because they felt the true story would be impossible to believe. Check out the Wikipedia page for the film as well as Desmond's page, the true story of his bravery during that battle is crazy.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="steesh07" data-cite="steesh07" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25823" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I've just recently watched Hacksaw Ridge and was definitely one of the best films I've seen in recent memory. Not really a fan of Andrew Garfield, always feels contrived and not really a believable actor. But the story (I didn't actually know it was a true story) was truly epic and definitely going to be worth another watch soon. I preferred it to Dunkirk too which I wasn't expecting.<p> </p><p> Anyone else seen Hacksaw Ridge?</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Overrated. Same as Dunkirk.</p>

<p>Dunkirk was technically impressive but it was too cold for my liking. Hacksaw Ridge on the other hand had me close to tears in the climax and I'm very rarely emotional. Bonus credit to Mel Gibson for what he was able to produce on much smaller budget.</p><p> </p><p>

Finally watched Last Jedi today. I avoided spoilers going in but knew that the critics loved it and a lot of fans were negative, so I was bemused because I thought it was a great Star Wars movie. Perhaps a bit long compared to TFA and RO but that's a minor quibble. I haven't really delved into the criticism yet but most of the posts I've read don't hold much water because they basically just say the movie was crap and offer vague explanations why. So far the comments section of this article on AV Club is the most balanced and intelligent discussion I've found:</p><p> </p><p>

<a href="https://www.avclub.com/part-kurosawa-part-wile-e-coyote-the-last-jedi-boldl-1821291545" rel="external nofollow">https://www.avclub.com/part-kurosawa-part-wile-e-coyote-the-last-jedi-boldl-1821291545</a></p>

• 1 month later...
<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="merrykieran2" data-cite="merrykieran2" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25823" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Watched Isle Of Dogs yesterday and I have to say that if you get the chance then you should really go see it. Truly believe it's Wes Anderson's best movie and is really fun and charming</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I know it's been awhile since you posted this, but randomly stumbled on the soundtrack and noticed they used some music from some of Kurosawa's movies.</p>

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

<p>After almost a year we’re back! </p><p> </p><p>

Figured I’d comment on the recent watchings of Alita, How to Train Your Dragon 3 and Captain Marvel. </p><p> </p><p>

How to Train Your Dragon The Hidden World was a well made end to the series though having watch the other 2 pretty recently it’s intriguing how they retcon previous movies as now the bad guy is a famous dragon hunter who’s killed all the other night fury’s. Took my two kids to see it and they were captivated the whole movie laughing and crying at all the appropriate moments so it definitely gets its target audience. </p><p> </p><p>

Alita I think should get way more attention then I’ve seen. Now while I haven’t read the manga or seen the anime I think the world and characters are fascinating. I really hope it gets a sequel because they’ve set so much up and left me with questions I want to know the answers to which is making me think more about checking out said manga and anime. </p><p> </p><p>

Captain Marvel was your standard Marvel movie you either like it or you don’t at this point as they didn’t do anything turly different besides it being a female hero. In my opinion they were a little heavy handed with the whole girl power thing but it didn’t ruin the movie or anything. Kinda disappointed with how fury ends up loosing his eye it felt like a letdown to me but the theater I was in popped big for it. Mid credit scene was a great way to set up endgame.</p>

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Incery
<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="guyver3" data-cite="guyver3" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25823" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>How to Train Your Dragon The Hidden World was a well made end to the series though having watch the other 2 pretty recently it’s intriguing how they retcon previous movies as now the bad guy is a famous dragon hunter who’s killed all the other night fury’s. Took my two kids to see it and they were captivated the whole movie laughing and crying at all the appropriate moments so it definitely gets its target audience. </div></blockquote> I haven's seen it so far, had some hesitation, but after your post, I definitely will. Then I plan to write a short essay for this <a href="https://writingcheap.com/" rel="external nofollow">website</a>. I really liked the first film, and somehow it changed my attitude to computer-animated fantasy.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jaysin" data-cite="Jaysin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25823" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Finally saw Captain Marvel and enjoyed it more than most people seem to. Endgame tomorrow!</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Another example of the bipolar SJW-craze. People hated her comments so much they swore off the movie before seeing anything. Any buzz is good buzz. This proves it once again. Is it decent? It's been a while since I saw a superhero movie and the last one is so loaded with "buildup" that I'm not going to watch it. </p><p> </p><p> I'll be watching Star Wars eventually in december. I'm itching to see Detective Pikachu though. It's getting modest ratings so it can't be bad as a random no-expectations movie.</p>

• 5 weeks later...
Another example of the bipolar SJW-craze. People hated her comments so much they swore off the movie before seeing anything. Any buzz is good buzz. This proves it once again. Is it decent? It's been a while since I saw a superhero movie and the last one is so loaded with "buildup" that I'm not going to watch it.

I wonder if it would have been as big of a hit had it not come out so close to Endgame. Brie Larson really does come across as a very unlikable woman. I would say the role was miscast, I am not sure who would be a good fit though.

I saw Brightburn and thought it was pretty good. I went into it with very low expectations due to poor reviews and bad word of mouth. But then again, reviewers tend to always speak poorly of anything with a hint of horror in it so I probably should have not put too much stock in what they say.

I saw MA last night. On the surface it was a decent movie but it is one of those movies where the more you think about it, the more you grow to dislike it.

I call that the Phantom Menace syndrome (I guess it could be called Godfather III syndrome because that is the older of the two movies but you get my drift), where in the movie is fine upon watching it. However, the more you think about it, the more it sucks. That is what happened to me when I watched the Phantom Menace for the first time. I came out of it thinking, "Well it is not better than the older movies but it was not that bad. Darth Maul was awesome."

Then on the ride home I started picking the movie apart. Well this sucked and that was dumb, so forth and so on.

That was the only Star Wars movie that I ever did that with. In regards to the Last Jedi, I was sitting in the movie getting more and more annoyed over how much the movie sucked. That movie was just terrible...I actually held off on watching Solo because I was still annoyed by how awful TLJ was.

Which sucks because I actually enjoyed Solo once I got a chance to watch it.

• 2 weeks later...
After almost a year we’re back!

Figured I’d comment on the recent watchings of Alita, How to Train Your Dragon 3 and Captain Marvel.

How to Train Your Dragon The Hidden World was a well made end to the series though having watch the other 2 pretty recently it’s intriguing how they retcon previous movies as now the bad guy is a famous dragon hunter who’s killed all the other night fury’s. Took my two kids to see it and they were captivated the whole movie laughing and crying at all the appropriate moments so it definitely gets its target audience.

Alita I think should get way more attention then I’ve seen. Now while I haven’t read the manga or seen the anime I think the world and characters are fascinating. I really hope it gets a sequel because they’ve set so much up and left me with questions I want to know the answers to which is making me think more about checking out said manga and anime.

Captain Marvel was your standard Marvel movie you either like it or you don’t at this point as they didn’t do anything turly different besides it being a female hero. In my opinion they were a little heavy handed with the whole girl power thing but it didn’t ruin the movie or anything. Kinda disappointed with how fury ends up loosing his eye it felt like a letdown to me but the theater I was in popped big for it. Mid credit scene was a great way to set up endgame.

My girlfriend believes the How to Train Your Dragon series is the best series not from Pixar. I only saw the first movie but based on her reaction to the third one and mostly positive reviews from the series, I would like to watch the other two!

Alita is a badass movie and I love the cliffhanger ending. I want more about this world and her character. Also intrigued at the cameo at the end, hinting at a big time villain? I'm not familiar with the manga so it looks like a sequel would be promising.

Captain Marvel is great and I don't get why people are so butt-hurt. Larson is not the first celebrity to have their nose up their ass... but she can act very well regardless of this.

I wonder if it would have been as big of a hit had it not come out so close to Endgame. Brie Larson really does come across as a very unlikable woman. I would say the role was miscast, I am not sure who would be a good fit though.

I saw Brightburn and thought it was pretty good. I went into it with very low expectations due to poor reviews and bad word of mouth. But then again, reviewers tend to always speak poorly of anything with a hint of horror in it so I probably should have not put too much stock in what they say.

I saw MA last night. On the surface it was a decent movie but it is one of those movies where the more you think about it, the more you grow to dislike it.

I call that the Phantom Menace syndrome (I guess it could be called Godfather III syndrome because that is the older of the two movies but you get my drift), where in the movie is fine upon watching it. However, the more you think about it, the more it sucks. That is what happened to me when I watched the Phantom Menace for the first time. I came out of it thinking, "Well it is not better than the older movies but it was not that bad. Darth Maul was awesome."

Then on the ride home I started picking the movie apart. Well this sucked and that was dumb, so forth and so on.

That was the only Star Wars movie that I ever did that with. In regards to the Last Jedi, I was sitting in the movie getting more and more annoyed over how much the movie sucked. That movie was just terrible...I actually held off on watching Solo because I was still annoyed by how awful TLJ was.

Which sucks because I actually enjoyed Solo once I got a chance to watch it.

Best part of TLJ is the lightsaber battle between Rey and Kylo. Dare I say that the movie gets better every time I watch it? It's definitley not my favorite for sure but it's hard to top the initial series. I think we all know by now that Abrams can direct his own works but not others.

Watched John Carter this evening and don’t understand why it wasn’t more successful. It was fun and the cast was enjoyable.

I think it came down to the fact most people who were even aware who Edgar Rice Burroughs was didn't know he'd done anything other than Tarzan. So they didn't realize John Carter was one of the stories that laid the foundation for sci-fi and found it derivative of a derivative of a derivative. Rather than celebrating that such a seminal character finally got the big screen treatment.

I think it came down to the fact most people who were even aware who Edgar Rice Burroughs was didn't know he'd done anything other than Tarzan. So they didn't realize John Carter was one of the stories that laid the foundation for sci-fi and found it derivative of a derivative of a derivative. Rather than celebrating that such a seminal character finally got the big screen treatment.

Simple answer really: the ad campaign for it sucked. Plus they didn't use the awesome Princess of Mars title instead.

Such a shame. It was really entertaining and I'm bummed there won't be more.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a minute since I've posted in this thread, so I figured I'd throw a couple of updates this way, while I was thinking about it.

Caught the movie Mid90s, Jonah Hill's directorial debut. Naturally, it caught my eye, as it's all about the Mid 90s, and I do love me some 90s... so of course I'd check this one out sooner or later. Thought it was very good, myself. It's a character study, so there is that. Never says exactly when it's taking place, but it felt for all the world like 1994 to me.

Finally got around to seeing A Quiet Place... which I very much enjoyed. I really appreciated the acting here. You never really appreciate the importance of talking in a movie, till you see a story being told largely without it. Liked this one a lot.

Saw the movie Wonder as well. I'd heard some pretty good things about this one from some friends, and thought I'd give it a watch myself. Honestly thought it was pretty excellent.

I very much want to see the new Halloween, as well as the new Child's Play. Haven't gotten around to either of those just yet, but I imagine I'll pick them up on Blu-ray soon as I can.

Not sure if I've mentioned it in this thread yet or not, but, if not... I loved the new It remake from 2017, and very much look forward to seeing the new one, Chapter Two, when it comes out.

And, as someone else already mentioned, I also watched Ralph Breaks The Internet on Netflix. Thought that was pretty good as well. Got a little emotional by the end. The first one probably was better though.

Out of curiosity, I was wondering if people would like to share their all-time favorite movies. I did a list of my all-time favorite sitcoms in the TV thread and I thought it would be interesting to see what people put down for their favorite movies.

Here is my list (not in order, I went with twenty)...

1. Godfather I

2. Godfather II

3. Return of the Jedi (No word of a lie I think I saw this twenty times in the movie theater alone back when I was a kid)

4. It's A Wonderful Life

5. Being There

6. Monty Python and the Holy Grail

7. Sunset Boulevard

8. The Others

9. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

10. Raiders of the Lost Ark (I will always remember that guy's face melting)

11. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

12. The Original Star Wars

13. L.A. Confidential

14. Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (yes the first one was great as well but I just really like part three)

15. Hysterical

16. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

17. Saving Private Ryan

18. The Bridge on the River Kwai

19. Hellraiser (I actually love horror even if this list does not reflect that)

20. Chinatown

Unpopular opinion, here are five popular movies that I feel are over hyped...

1. Citizen Kane

2. Empire Strikes Back (I actually like this movie a lot but I think it is the weakest of the original trilogy. Waiting for the insults to be hurled my way.:D)

3. The Graduate

4. Avatar

5. Avengers End Game

Seems fun.

1. Empire Strikes Back

2. Dawn of the Dead (1978)

3. Goodfellas

4. Kill Bill Vol 1

5. Raiders of the Lost Ark

6. Suspiria (1977)

7. Halloween (1978)

8. Blade Runner

9. Aliens

10. Evil Dead 2

11. Amelie

12. A New Hope

13. Nightmare on Elm Street 1 and 3 (they are tied for me and my preference for either swings back and forth constantly)

14. Big Lebowski

15. The Fifth Element

16. Die Hard

17. Mad Max: Fury Road

18. The Thing (1982)

19. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

20. Destroy All Monsters

That was hard. I definitely skew Sci-Fi and Horror.

I'm sure if I thought longer on it I'd have some sliding in and out but seems good.

Unpopular opinion, here are five popular movies that I feel are over hyped...

1. Citizen Kane

2. Empire Strikes Back (I actually like this movie a lot but I think it is the weakest of the original trilogy. Waiting for the insults to be hurled my way.:D)

3. The Graduate

4. Avatar

5. Avengers End Game

Citizen Kane was technically so far ahead of it's time that it's influences are still found in cinema today. In fact you list Godfather I and II, as well as Raiders of the Last Ark in your top 20. I can pinpoint exact influences and references to Kane in just those 3 movies.

But to each their own if you didn't dig the actual narrative, I guess.

I'll leave you alone on Empire lol :cool: