The Official ROH Discussion Thread

Wrestling Century

Is it my imagination of has the RoH World Title race suddenly turned to gossamer? I have no doubt the Christopher Daniels/Cody Rhodes match was a strong contest or that whoever won is a worthy champ. But who really is there to challenge the winner for the title? It's getting hard to figure out people for that.

Annoying as they both were, Kyle O'Reilly and Bobby Fish are two common choices who are now both gone. Adam Cole has every appearance of joining them at some point soon. The Briscoes have spent the first half of this year on a fringe belt that never lasts. Projects like Cedric Alexander and Moose who should be in the mix were chased away. The only Top Prospect of the last five to have held any singles gold is Matt Taven. And that's been long enough ago newer fans could be forgiven for not knowing he'd ever had that reign. Colt Cabana appears to be done altogether with all the commentary he's doing lately. Jay Lethal I see and there is the attempt to crash course Silas Young into a viable option. But beyond that, the pool looks pretty empty.

I honestly don't think it will take much work to turn Silas into a viable contender. His mike work has always been good after all and his ring work is excellent as well, I love the airplane spin into a cutter that he uses now. In my opinion all it will really take to make it happen is a good storyline and a few big victories.

As for other challengers, Dalton Castle is always an option given that he's very popular with ROH fans and, unless I'm mistaken, has recently signed a new ROH contract. I'd be very surprised if the Addiction and the Briscoes didn't get title shots down the line at some point as well. After that, the field does get thinner I agree.

Jay White and Punisher Martinez seem to be getting big pushes so logically they could challenge at some point, other then that I'm not sure.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="MightyDavidson" data-cite="MightyDavidson" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26106" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I honestly don't think it will take much work to turn Silas into a viable contender. His mike work has always been good after all and his ring work is excellent as well, I love the airplane spin into a cutter that he uses now. In my opinion all it will really take to make it happen is a good storyline and a few big victories.<p> </p><p> As for other challengers, Dalton Castle is always an option given that he's very popular with ROH fans and, unless I'm mistaken, has recently signed a new ROH contract. I'd be very surprised if the Addiction and the Briscoes didn't get title shots down the line at some point as well. After that, the field does get thinner I agree.</p><p> </p><p> Jay White and Punisher Martinez seem to be getting big pushes so logically they could challenge at some point, other then that I'm not sure.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I wasn't trying to suggest Silas is a bad choice. I think your assessment is sound. I've always liked the guy and I think you could sell the notion he's the best guy on the roster as the RoH title is meant to do. He has a rather old school repetoire compared to most of the guys on the roster and is as good at that as they are at their thing. Just seems like jumping him up as they are is in itself a demonstration of how deep their issue is. </p><p> </p><p> Castle I could see I guess. He's certainly popular enough and the sponsors would love having a bold personality like his do appearances for them. But does he really "need" the title? Not that I personally believe in the notion. If a belt is meant to represent what RoH's is, I believe any guy who doesn't in character want and/or need the belt should be elsewhere. But it is the kind of excuse I could imagine hearing for why he's not in contention.</p><p> </p><p> Martinez and White though just aren't ready in my mind. They are however two of the many guys I could see as perfect choices for the TV title. That pool feels incredibly crowded in comparison to the World title. That field is so crowded it seems almost silly that they put the TV belt on Kushida. Even acknowledging that he is one of the New Japan guys that visit RoH most consistently. That belt could help elevate a guy like Martinez or White. Maybe a former Top Prospect like Dijak or Rush. It could get a guy like Matt Taven on track and make his version of The Kingdom a little less like a pale imitation of the original. Make a guy like Kazarian look better before he jumps in the World Title mix. Maybe even Silas as part of his World title ascent. I just don't get the point in Kushida as TV champ. Heck had they wanted one of the Japanese guys to be World champ for a little bit I would buy into that more because of how thin the other options are. Not that I'd like it but I'd certainly understand it.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="cappyboy" data-cite="cappyboy" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26106" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I wasn't trying to suggest Silas is a bad choice. I think your assessment is sound. I've always liked the guy and I think you could sell the notion he's the best guy on the roster as the RoH title is meant to do. He has a rather old school repetoire compared to most of the guys on the roster and is as good at that as they are at their thing. Just seems like jumping him up as they are is in itself a demonstration of how deep their issue is. <p> </p><p> Castle I could see I guess. He's certainly popular enough and the sponsors would love having a bold personality like his do appearances for them. But does he really "need" the title? Not that I personally believe in the notion. If a belt is meant to represent what RoH's is, I believe any guy who doesn't in character want and/or need the belt should be elsewhere. But it is the kind of excuse I could imagine hearing for why he's not in contention.</p><p> </p><p> Martinez and White though just aren't ready in my mind. They are however two of the many guys I could see as perfect choices for the TV title. That pool feels incredibly crowded in comparison to the World title. That field is so crowded it seems almost silly that they put the TV belt on Kushida. Even acknowledging that he is one of the New Japan guys that visit RoH most consistently. That belt could help elevate a guy like Martinez or White. Maybe a former Top Prospect like Dijak or Rush. It could get a guy like Matt Taven on track and make his version of The Kingdom a little less like a pale imitation of the original. Make a guy like Kazarian look better before he jumps in the World Title mix. Maybe even Silas as part of his World title ascent. I just don't get the point in Kushida as TV champ. Heck had they wanted one of the Japanese guys to be World champ for a little bit I would buy into that more because of how thin the other options are. Not that I'd like it but I'd certainly understand it.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> In my defense I said that Punisher Martinez and Jay White could challenge at some point, not that they were ready to be champions. I was trying to illustrate that the contender situation wasn't that bad, though even I admit that it's far from ideal.</p><p> </p><p> Saying that however, I'm embarrassed to realize that I forgot to mention Marty Scurl or Will Ospreay in my previous post. They're both talented wrestlers after all and seem to have developed at following in the states.</p>

<p>I went to the second show (which were the TV tapings) because I got free tickets. </p><p> </p><p>

In regards to Punisher Martinez, that fans absolutely hated this guy. They were crapping all over him throughout his match. Every time he went on offense they were booing him and yelling about how much he sucks (at least in the section which I was sitting in). I think he might need a lot more work before he gets anywhere near a title situation be it the TV or World title. </p><p> </p><p>

Maybe their best bet would be to put him into a tag team. That way they can hide his shortcomings in the ring.</p>

Gonna hop into this Bullet Club talk. I am a big Bullet Club fan. I get why people don't like the Bucks but I personally enjoy them. As a NJPW fan, I understand all the Bullet Club stuff. On the lines of the chanting, I would argue the 10 chant is more annoying as it has nothing to do with the count. The 2 Sweet can get annoying, but at least it is only for 2 counts.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Warhawk8492" data-cite="Warhawk8492" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26106" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>After he is done feuding with Lethal, Silas might have to turn face to feud with The Bullet Club.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Do they really need to turn anyone face to take on Bullet Club? From what I've seen (and correct me if I am wrong) Bullet Club gets face reactions no matter who the opponent is in ROH for the most part.</p>

I went to the second show (which were the TV tapings) because I got free tickets.

In regards to Punisher Martinez, that fans absolutely hated this guy. They were crapping all over him throughout his match. Every time he went on offense they were booing him and yelling about how much he sucks (at least in the section which I was sitting in). I think he might need a lot more work before he gets anywhere near a title situation be it the TV or World title.

Maybe their best bet would be to put him into a tag team. That way they can hide his shortcomings in the ring.

But team Martinez with who? They did away with the Kevin Sullivan/BJ Whitmer alliance. And there really isn't anybody else on the roster quite as dark as they've portrayed him. He doesn't fit with the cool dudes in Bullet Club. And RoH doesn't really need to give a second outside stable a place on their landscape. Bullet Club is somewhere between enough and too much as it is on that front. I'd imagine the would be partner would ideally be a veteran. Really seems like they are doing the best they can with him as a solo.

Honestly this seems to be a case where no longer having a guy like a Truth Martini or Prince Nana really hurts. Ideally Nana as I don't see the flamboyance of Martini mixing well with a guy whose head is full of South of Heaven thinking. He'd probably still need a tag partner even with the manager. But at least with the manager it would be easier to create a common bond between Punishment and his would-be partner

But team Martinez with who? They did away with the Kevin Sullivan/BJ Whitmer alliance. And there really isn't anybody else on the roster quite as dark as they've portrayed him. He doesn't fit with the cool dudes in Bullet Club. And RoH doesn't really need to give a second outside stable a place on their landscape. Bullet Club is somewhere between enough and too much as it is on that front. I'd imagine the would be partner would ideally be a veteran. Really seems like they are doing the best they can with him as a solo.

Honestly this seems to be a case where no longer having a guy like a Truth Martini or Prince Nana really hurts. Ideally Nana as I don't see the flamboyance of Martini mixing well with a guy whose head is full of South of Heaven thinking. He'd probably still need a tag partner even with the manager. But at least with the manager it would be easier to create a common bond between Punishment and his would-be partner

Well Nana is still with the company. He hosted a Q&A with Dalton Castle and the Boys on Saturday night at the TV taping. I could see him managing Punishment Martinez.

You are right there is nobody on the current roster that could team with him character wise. I guess they could look outside the company, but ROH seem to want to push him as a singles competitor. Therefore, I highly doubt they would go down the route of putting him in a tag team.

I did not realize that Martinez is thirty-five years old (according to his page on Wikipedia). So he has been around the block and for his age I have to wonder if he will ever improve enough to be good enough to be at the top of the card.

• 1 month later...

<p>Was just watching the midnight replay of this week's ROH TV and I have to say I'm awfully glad I did. The main event proved to be very instructive for me. Initially, I'd skipped it because it involved Kenny King. No secret where my thoughts lie on him. But before deleting my copy of the original airing, I fast forwarded to the end to make sure I didn't miss any potential story line developments. That left me wondering how things suddenly went from singles to tag match.</p><p> </p><p>

So watching the replay, I figure I need to forgive King's involvement and watch through. And it seems I owe King an in-character apology. I've spent ages knocking him for what would appear to have been the shortcomings of the writers. When Kenny was showing respect to Kushida and then forming the impromptu team with him to take on Bullet Club, I saw a more rounded, complete Kenny King than I would have ever thought was possible. It would appear the clichéd, plastic banana party boy gimmick is finally dead and a better version of Kenny King can finally shine through.</p>

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Warhawk8492" data-cite="Warhawk8492" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26106" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Anyone else watch ROH Final Battle? Very good show last night.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> If their events were a little less expensive. I read the results, they're rather interesting.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Warhawk8492" data-cite="Warhawk8492" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26106" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Anyone else watch ROH Final Battle? Very good show last night.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I saw it and I felt it was okay. Not bad but not top notch either. </p><p> </p><p> I am a fan of Dalton Castle but I am not sure I see him as ROH World Champion material. He is really over with the fans and I hope he does have a good run with the belt and I hope he proves me wrong.</p>

I am a fan of Dalton Castle but I am not sure I see him as ROH World Champion material. He is really over with the fans and I hope he does have a good run with the belt and I hope he proves me wrong.

I know what you mean. He is a pretty solid wrestler but the personality overshadows that. To the point I can see the sponsors being happier about having him as champ than the Internet reviewer types will be. The best thing I can see about Castle as champ is that they have more heels who are in position to try and steal the belt out from under Castle than they do face contenders to try and wrest it from Cody. So from that perspective, I'm happy that he's champ. But ultimately I tend to see Castle as a guy who stretches the champ and lends legitimacy to the afterthoughts that would otherwise be the six man belts.

As a casual ROH fan, I am surprised about Dalton winning the belt. Will he be at WrestleKingdom 12? Wasn't Cody vs Ibushi planned for the title at WK12? From what I've seen of Dalton, he always seemed like a midcard level face. My bullet club bias might be setting in, but not sure why take it off Cody now, just before WK12.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="evileddie10" data-cite="evileddie10" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26106" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>As a casual ROH fan, I am surprised about Dalton winning the belt. Will he be at WrestleKingdom 12? Wasn't Cody vs Ibushi planned for the title at WK12? From what I've seen of Dalton, he always seemed like a midcard level face. My bullet club bias might be setting in, but not sure why take it off Cody now, just before WK12.</div></blockquote><p> The match is still Cody vs. Ibushi. It's just non-title now.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="The Final Countdown" data-cite="The Final Countdown" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26106" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>The match is still Cody vs. Ibushi. It's just non-title now.</div></blockquote><p> It makes me wonder if New Japan and/or Ring of Honor backed themselves into a corner. Was Ibushi genuinely going to lose an ROH title match in the midcard of New Japan's biggest show?</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Mootinie" data-cite="Mootinie" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26106" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>It makes me wonder if New Japan and/or Ring of Honor backed themselves into a corner. Was Ibushi genuinely going to lose an ROH title match in the midcard of New Japan's biggest show?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I can't see how RoH would have backed themselves into a corner. Unless they really believe they are New Japan's minor league rather than being a concern of their own. It was giving the belt to Cody that put them in a corner. There really weren't all that many faces to give Cody a challenge for the belt. They'd done Lethal. The Briscoes were tied up in the six man afterthought belts. They turned The Addiction. And then there was whom? Much as I like Castle, putting the belt on him feels sort of like a desperation move. At least now, there are heels to try and steal the belt from him. Cody has the rematch clause. Daniels could try and take it back to piss off the crowd. Would certainly fit the Addiction's storyline at the moment. The Briscoes are heel and have betrayed the RoH faithful's trust. Matt Taven could do with a shot at grabbing the belt. Silas Young could target his old rival after his TV run is done. Maybe you test the structural integrity of Bullet Club by having Marty Scurll go for the belt. There are so many more ways you can take the World Title now. Assuming of course you are your own company and not just playing the cards New Japan deals you.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Mootinie" data-cite="Mootinie" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26106" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>It makes me wonder if New Japan and/or Ring of Honor backed themselves into a corner. Was Ibushi genuinely going to lose an ROH title match in the midcard of New Japan's biggest show?</div></blockquote><p> It honestly wouldn't shock me if Cody wins even now. Ibushi's the favorite now that it's non-title, especially if they're eyeing him vs. Kenny headlining a major show later in the year (and if they aren't, they're stupid.) But he's never a guy they've gone out of their way to protect, even when he actually had a contract.</p>

• 1 month later...
<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jaysin" data-cite="Jaysin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26106" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><em>Sees ROH is streaming Honor Reigns Supreme for free</em><p><em> </em></p><p><em> Sees there's a six man tag match featuring Cody Rhodes, Marty Scurrl, and Hangman Page</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> Gets excited</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> Sees their opponents are The Kingdom, instantly lose interest.</em></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> The Kingdom, the only trio in professional wrestling that makes 3MB look impressive by comparison. Sure Taven's partners might amount to something were they taken away from Taven but together they're just taking airtime away from other people that could use it more. They definitely shouldn't be anywhere near the main event or getting victories....over anyone really but certainly not the Bullet Club.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="MightyDavidson" data-cite="MightyDavidson" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26106" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>The Kingdom, the only trio in professional wrestling that makes 3MB look impressive by comparison. Sure Taven's partners might amount to something were they taken away from Taven but together they're just taking airtime away from other people that could use it more. They definitely shouldn't be anywhere near the main event or getting victories....over anyone really but certainly not the Bullet Club.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Very few people in wrestling make me want to change the channel faster than The Kingdom.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jaysin" data-cite="Jaysin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26106" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Very few people in wrestling make me want to change the channel faster than The Kingdom.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Just off the top of my head, here are some better trios in ROH: Dalton Castle and the Boys.</p><p> So Cal Uncensored.</p><p> Silas Young, Beer City Bruiser and Brian Milonas.</p><p> Any combination of the Bullet Club.</p><p> </p><p> Hell you could've hired oVe or LAX from TNA and instantly had a better match. Or snagged one of the trios from CHIKARA. Pick your favorite local indy, I'm willing to bet they have a more impressive trio on the roster then The Kingdom.</p>