Board Effort Towards a Fictional Universe...

No ideas but I'll be glad when they're active so I get to see what announcer FCJ will actually end up with as currently every single test I've run it ends up being Torri Brookes, owner of WWA :(

I can give it a go after I've finished rendering World Class if no-one else wants a go.

I've set it up to test the "Rising Generation League" idea in a current setting instead of in 2025 to keep from getting the 2 databases mixed up. Plus, we don't have enough young talent in 2025 to test it anyway.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's time to set a date. I'm saying March 1st for release, hopefully put the pre-beta out around Valentine's Day.

And being so far removed from January 2010 maybe we need to rethink that start date. Maybe at least to July 2010 and hopefully that won't throw things off too much from the last rewrites.

I think it's time to set a date. I'm saying March 1st for release, hopefully put the pre-beta out around Valentine's Day.

And being so far removed from January 2010 maybe we need to rethink that start date. Maybe at least to July 2010 and hopefully that won't throw things off too much from the last rewrites.

I am not really in favor of this because who wants to start a game in the middle of the year? Also, I think it screws up the awards at the end of the year.

I agree with the need for a release date, although I would err more on the side of early April (April 1st? Is it the real data or a joke?). Valentines day sounds great for pre-beta though. :)

Agree with BHK on the start date. If we were concerned with the start date being different than the data release date we should have pushed it to January 2012, which iirc people were opposed to at the time. Starting mid year will indeed mess up the awards though which isn't cool, and also there are too many worker bios to check for continuity if we move the date. :cool:

I am not really in favor of this because who wants to start a game in the middle of the year? Also, I think it screws up the awards at the end of the year.

It will screw up a lot more bumping it to 2011. Especially a lot of rewrites......

As for the awards, better to screw up 6 months of fluff than a whole year of what we have put together. We'll be asking people to play 14 months to get current.

And really if you check a lot of games there are funny start dates. My game in Football Manager '08 had me start in December of '07.

Can you not just change the start date to Jan 2011 and bring any references to the date forward a year? I'm sure there isn't many

Rookies won't be rookies any more, they will have a year under their belt. Veterans will be one step closer to retirement.

To keep those guys the same we would have to bring everyones age one year back. Not to mention, the feds if no one wanted to do another year of title history. Changes to worker bios, fed bios, etc.

But, Wrestling has no off season. So really a mid-year start screws up the awards mainly and may cause minor edits.

The question I have is how many people are gonna come in and alter the start date for themselves to be current and miss 14 months of narratives, incoming rookies, new feds, etc.

I agree with the need for a release date, although I would err more on the side of early April (April 1st? Is it the real data or a joke?). Valentines day sounds great for pre-beta though. :)

Agree with BHK on the start date. If we were concerned with the start date being different than the data release date we should have pushed it to January 2012, which iirc people were opposed to at the time. Starting mid year will indeed mess up the awards though which isn't cool, and also there are too many worker bios to check for continuity if we move the date. :cool:

This was also several months back, before the data was over 1 year behind the current time. And calling the release for April 1st adds another month so that would be 15 months to catch up maybe more depending on how often they play.

Furthermore, I'm one of the biggest objectors to moving the date. It's just something I feel needs to be put back out there again.

Rookies won't be rookies any more, they will have a year under their belt. Veterans will be one step closer to retirement.

To keep those guys the same we would have to bring everyones age one year back. Not to mention, the feds if no one wanted to do another year of title history. Changes to worker bios, fed bios, etc.

But, Wrestling has no off season. So really a mid-year start screws up the awards mainly and may cause minor edits.

The question I have is how many people are gonna come in and alter the start date for themselves to be current and miss 14 months of narratives, incoming rookies, new feds, etc.

Even after a year a rookie will still be green as grass, plus other rookies will also have debuted, and a veteran's retirement is more weighted on their contract and their destiny than their age. A year of title histories is like 2-3 per belt. Really in an imaginary world it doesn't matter what year it is. Bring the narratives forward a year and it would be sweet.

Maybe some of the posters that have nothing to do with the mod could voice their opinion. I see jhd1, Midnightnick, and Blake Trask in this thread often.

So I guess we could pose the question to them or any posters who wants to answer. Would anyone be opposed to playing a fictional mod that is set in January of 2010?

Even after a year a rookie will still be green as grass, plus other rookies will also have debuted, and a veteran's retirement is more weighted on their contract and their destiny than their age. A year of title histories is like 2-3 per belt. Really in an imaginary world it doesn't matter what year it is. Bring the narratives forward a year and it would be sweet.

Got it from the man himself and tested numerous times. It's random.

Thats why 95 year old Aharon Writzen can die in February 2010 one test run and stick around until he is 100 in the next.

But each year older it's more likely to happen. Retirement from actively wrestling, Retirement (Leaving the business) from wrestling altogether, Death, the odds increase each year older.

Even the odds of a rookie eventually turning into Superstar is all random.

But still, certain scenarios that have been constructed rely on X number of years that can be affected by that extra year older for the veterans.

Lots of time sensitive Easter Eggs.

Maybe some of the posters that have nothing to do with the mod could voice their opinion. I see jhd1, Midnightnick, and Blake Trask in this thread often.

So I guess we could pose the question to them or any posters who wants to answer. Would anyone be opposed to playing a fictional mod that is set in January of 2010?

Exactly, even though we prefer that 2010 start date we're not our "target audience" for lack of a better term.

Exactly, even though we prefer that 2010 start date we're not our "target audience" for lack of a better term.

I get what you're saying. My thoughts are that while I'd prefer to keep the data at January 2010, if there seems to be a large consensus in favor of going the other way I'm not opposed to it. ^_^

I wouldn't mind whatever the start date is. My feeling is that if the mod is designed for a Jan 2010 start, then that's where I'm going to start playing it, regardless of whether or not Jan 2010 is 'present day. Where things kick off is mostly cosmetic anyway (so long as it isn't mid year, which as has been mentioned can mess up awards), so the way I see it, there's no necessity for things to be altered just because it's now 2011.

An analogue. The current version of the CVerse is designed to start in 2010. I'm not about to change it to the start of 2011 because it would introduce a raft of inconsistencies in the database. If I want to start in 2011, I look into the one year later mod. Same thing goes here - the mod's constructed for a particular date, if people would rather start in 'present day' and mess up their own data, then that's their lookout. I would've thought the base start date would have made it pretty obvious that the mod is made to begin there and not anywhere else.

I'm all for it being in January 10'.

As Blake just said, I'm not going to set the C-Verse to be in January 2011 when it was designed for January 2010.

Any ideas for WWA?

Since it's a blank slate currently, I have an idea to test there until it's worked on.

I have about half of it done, I'm still working on it slowly, I need to convert some bios over also.

Hellshock, do you really believe the mod/data is a month away from being released as playable? Aren't there a ton of renders still needed? Not to mention contributors still adding future workers and other workers. I think a pre-beta should be release om Valentine's Day to a very select few pre-beta tester. Then a limited beta version (with only certain areas of the world available.) Then April 1st would probably make for a more plausible release date.

If we move the the start date I say just move it to Jan 11th. It's wont be that complicated to go in and change everyone's birthdate up one year and in some cases their debut date. The title histories for one year wont be that bad either if we are talking just one year. It would only involve a little tweeking. That being said I dont see why we cant just leave it at Jan 2010. I think the start date will matter for some players, but not as much as it was if this was a real world mod.

I'd be more than happy playing a mod that starts in January 2010. But while I can understand you considering changing the date, I wouldn't for a couple of reasons;

-The data, bios, rosters, backstory references are all based on a January 2010 startdate. Something is bound to get missed or forgotten about if you start changing things around.

-January 2010 is a very sensible start date; it's the beginning of a new year, and of a new decade.

-The CVerse starts in January 2010 and no one would consider changing it (OYL mod aside). You'd really have to change it to March 2011, because July 2010 seems less logical than Jan 2010 to me; there is no big event to warrant it being in July, it isn't the beginning of the year, and it isn't the month of release.

Hellshock, do you really believe the mod/data is a month away from being released as playable? Aren't there a ton of renders still needed? Not to mention contributors still adding future workers and other workers. I think a pre-beta should be release om Valentine's Day to a very select few pre-beta tester. Then a limited beta version (with only certain areas of the world available.) Then April 1st would probably make for a more plausible release date.

1. A month away? Yes, easily.

2. Renders? We're over 2/3's of the way through them.

3. Future Workers? As long as we have the ones in that are connected to existing workers........ (family, etc.) and some for the first 3-5 years otherwise..... We can release any others in packs. 2015 future workers. 2016, etc.

We are closer than we have ever been to a release...... it just needs that extra push (like a release date) to get us focused on completion.

As someone who's interested in playing this, I'd just like to chime in and say that I don't care when the start date of the gameworld is for the fact that it's a fantasy mod. It could be set in 2020 or 1995 and it'd have no relevence to me since it's completely removed from reality anyway.

Also, even if it was decided that it needed to be cutting edge, it seems like a very low priority change request--since the work required to bring everything in line and the potential for new problems that could be introduced may not be worth whatever satisfaction is gained from altering the start date.

Just my 2c

Guest deathcroc

I've been lurking in this thread and am really interested in playing this mod when it comes out.

I also don't care what the date the mod starts in. If it starts in Jan 2010 - fine. That's what everything was written for, so why not keep it that way?

I've been lurking in this thread and am really interested in playing this mod when it comes out.

I also don't care what the date the mod starts in. If it starts in Jan 2010 - fine. That's what everything was written for, so why not keep it that way?

I'm in exactly the same boat.

To me, less work is less work....

....is less mistakes in updating....

....is sooner release.

In this type of whole-cloth mod, it really doesn't matter what the start date is. No one can argue, "well, Wade Barrett shouldn't be listed as leader of Nexus at this date." 2008, 2010, 2020, who is to argue the validity of the data?

It starts when it starts.

Either way doesn't really matter to me (being mainly a graphics contributor), but I think it would be a real waste to see the amazing gains made on this mod in 2010 set back by trying to "keep up" with current RW date.

(TL;DR version): What jhd1 and Blake Trask said.

Archived