MMA-Influenced Wrestling

Traditional

Cutting Edge

High Spot Wrestling

MTV-Styled Modern

Cult Hardcore

Garbage

....some are pretty self explanatory...Traditional & Garbage

Some of them are a little confusing and several of them cross into the others so whats the best way to use them etc.?

Im kind of curious about these as well because i usually like to play as a yet to debut company from the Cornellverse and i add in an owner before the game starts that i think is appropriate. I was thinking about starting a game as High Impact Wrestling and i wasnt sure which of these preferences would be most appropriate. Maybe high spot wrestling, mtv-syled modern, or smart mark?

The other one im kind of curious about is Pure Entertainment. I can think of three different definitions from this phrase.

1. Pure as in Pure wrestling

2. Pure as in family friendly entertainment

3. Pure as in nothing but entertainment.

Not quite sure what that one actually means.

From the help document in your TEW folder. :)

Traditional

The element of traditional “good guy vs. bad guy” wrestling, where the emphasis is on telling a story via ring work, characters, and storylines.

Mainstream

The element of entertaining the masses with family-friendly easy-to-understand characters and skits, plus all the associated glitz and glamour.

Comedy

The element of having comedic parts to the wrestling and angles.

Cult

The element of appealing to the minority, being more of an “outlaw” \ rebellious entity than mainstream, through darker and edgier material.

Risque

The element of having more lewd and sexually-charged entertainment content, of going more low-brow.

Modern

The element of having faster-moving, edgy, flashy matches and angles for the benefit of the modern short attention span.

Realism

The element of keeping the action very realistic within the boundaries of “wrestling logic”, without straying to MMA content.

Hyper Realism

The element of incorporating MMA content into matches.

Hardcore

The element of bringing more bloody, brutal content into the promotion than is the norm; to appeal to the more bloodthirsty minority.

Lucha Libre

The element of bringing the more kayfabe-oriented world of lucha libre into the promotion, including its faster-paced matches.

Pure

The element of old-school mat wrestling and hold \ counter hold type action.

Daredevil

The element of including extremely high risk moves and stunts into the in-ring action and angles in order to provide highlight-reel action.

What I've tried to do is find an owner that has each preference, and look at their promotion for a base. Richard Eisen is Sports Entertainment, Tommy Cornell is Realistic Wrestling, Rip Chord and Dan Stone are Traditional Wrestling, Sam Strong is Pure Entertainment, etc. But yeah, it'd still be nice to really have an official definition for each one.

• 1 month later...

I would guess that Smart Mark Entertainment is similar to what WCW did around 1999/2000, they used worked shoots and stuff like that, trying to Surprise a smart mark community (as we all know they hate everything expected and unexpected as long as it is scripted).

MTV Modern, I have no clue.

I would guess that Smart Mark Entertainment is similar to what WCW did around 1999/2000, they used worked shoots and stuff like that, trying to Surprise a smart mark community (as we all know they hate everything expected and unexpected as long as it is scripted).

MTV Modern, I have no clue.

The MTV modern could be in relation to the short lived Wrestling Society X or could be based on the 80's rock and wrestling connection that the WWE & MTV pulled off back then updated for current standards.

My impression of them...

Sports Entertainment: The current WWE product where the workers are put over as athletes for the most part but the entertainment factor is the driving force and everything plays to fit that realm.

Pure Entertainment: More of a WCW mid 90's product where entertainment by far was the focal point of the show leading to 2 hour shows often only containing 1 hour or less of actual wrestling. Heavily driven by storylines and workers who possess great entertainment skills.

Attitude Entertainment: Obviously the product made famous by the WWF in the late 90's, self explanatory.

Smart Mark Entertainment: As TecDax described the WCW product under Russo. *Shudders*

Wrestling As A Sport: Not so much based on MMA but more pure wrestling, the old school kayfabe product.

Realistic Wrestling:

Close to the ROH product

The element of keeping the action very realistic within the boundaries of “wrestling logic”, without straying to MMA content.

MMA-Influenced Wrestling: A product that incorporates alot of MMA content into matches.

Traditional:

The element of traditional “good guy vs. bad guy” wrestling, where the emphasis is on telling a story via ring work, characters, and storylines.

Cutting Edge: A modern product based around...

Modern

The element of having faster-moving, edgy, flashy matches and angles for the benefit of the modern short attention span.

High Spot Wrestling: Daredevils and spot monkeys reign supreme, hardcore I imagine may aslo feature.

MTV-Styled Modern: Alot like Modern obviously, except alot more of a Cult style product

Cult Hardcore: Self explanatory?

Garbage: Your typical original CZW (RW) trash hardcore wrestling product mostly found in backyard feds.

All of that is only my take on it all, I'm probably off on a few or even more!

MTV-Styled Modern: Alot like Modern obviously, except alot more of a Cult style product

That's pretty much what the rock 'n' wrestling connection was back in the 80's.

it would have been considered a cult product compared to the more traditional NWA & AWA of that time but still had some elements of what was considered modern then.

That's pretty much what the rock 'n' wrestling connection was back in the 80's.

it would have been considered a cult product compared to the more traditional NWA & AWA of that time but still had some elements of what was considered modern then.

I would call the WWF product during the rock 'n' wrestling time a mix of Mainstream and Traditional. Rock 'n' wrestling was a cartoon not a wrestling style. :)

Some of those are easy to figure out. Download TEW05 and look at the product category descriptions. There, now you have Sports Entertainment, Cutting Edge, Garbage, Hardcore, Pure, and a couple others.

And Smart Mark Entertainment, to me, is ROH. It's entertainment that smarks love and what is ROH if not that? Though it very well could be the WCW thing since it may be a product that is made to appeal to that segment, whether it's successful or not.

I would call the WWF product during the rock 'n' wrestling time a mix of Mainstream and Traditional. Rock 'n' wrestling was a cartoon not a wrestling style. :)

The cartoon was an extension of the rock n wrestling connection not the style itself. The term began around the time when wendi richter defeated moolah which predates both the cartoon and wrestlemania. Wrestlemania 1 was the event that tried to end the Hogan/Piper feud. Hogan was pro rock n wrestling while piper represented a more mainstream/traditional style.

Smart Mark Entertainment

Not sure how smart mark is used here in this context but to pro wrestlers its definition is: a person who thinks they know the true happenings or whats really going on in pro wrestling.

Most of these tend to run wrestling informer style websites and tend to have zero or very little actual wrestling connections. and the ones who frequent indy shows more often then WWE & TNA are worse then any of them mainly because they have a "friend on the inside".

The cartoon was an extension of the rock n wrestling connection not the style itself. The term began around the time when wendi richter defeated moolah which predates both the cartoon and wrestlemania. Wrestlemania 1 was the event that tried to end the Hogan/Piper feud. Hogan was pro rock n wrestling while piper represented a more mainstream/traditional style.

I don't think you get what I mean. The WWF may have been modern compared to AWA & NWA back then but it's still not modern in TEW terms. The product was mainstream and traditional. In a mod say set in 1983 if Vince's preference was set to Sports Entertainment and Verne Gagne's to "Realstic" or "Traditional" then the WWF will produce a more modern product then the AWA. Same goes for the NWA.

I could be wrong but I didn't think it mattered what time a mod is set, styles should be interpreted the same way.

I don't think you get what I mean. The WWF may have been modern compared to AWA & NWA back then but it's still not modern in TEW terms. The product was mainstream and traditional. In a mod say set in 1983 if Vince's preference was set to Sports Entertainment and Verne Gagne's to "Realstic" or "Traditional" then the WWF will produce a more modern product then the AWA. Same goes for the NWA.

I could be wrong but I didn't think it mattered what time a mod is set, styles should be interpreted the same way.

That's the thing right there "Sports Entertainment" was the term that came from the Rock N Wrestling Connection. Rock was entertainment and wrestling was sports. The term was redefined later by Vince McMahon when the state of New Jersey tried to levy a sizable tax on the "SPORT" of pro wrestling namely a WWF show that was set to be held there. After Vince made his declaration the side effect saw boxing/wrestling commisions nationwide change their laws to incorporate the new style of Sports Entertainment.

Rock 'n' Wrestling was at the time formed by the WWF's interaction with MTV. Cyndi Lauper was Wendi Richter's manager and the late Captain Lou Albano appeared in her "Girls just want to have fun" video.

This interaction means at that time what became Sports Entertainment was actually MTV style. This also allowed WWF to reach even further beyond the area it was entrenched in. I was exposed to them through this medium as the company had very little exposure in my area at the time due to the heavy NWA presence.

And as a side note the comment wouldn't hold up about what time a mod was set if someone created a mod with a year that predates MTV which is less then 30 years old.

Anyone want to do a prequel mod when "Crippler Ray Kingman, Rip Chord or the other Immortals" were rookies? LOL

This interaction means at that time what became Sports Entertainment was actually MTV style. This also allowed WWF to reach even further beyond the area it was entrenched in.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

The way I interpret them is obviously different. Unless you were on the dev team or are Adam undercover I'm not sure how you're so certain you're view is right?

I think he's saying mdern s n style not as in time period yes rock and wrestling for WWF was more modern, as in current, then wrestling that was being produced at the time. But in TEW terms modern is a style generally gear toward fliers and believe when speaking of MTV style modern he's talking about a style and not a classification of how current a product is. So really yo guys are having two different conversations.

I think he's saying mdern s n style not as in time period yes rock and wrestling for WWF was more modern, as in current, then wrestling that was being produced at the time. But in TEW terms modern is a style generally gear toward fliers and believe when speaking of MTV style modern he's talking about a style and not a classification of how current a product is. So really yo guys are having two different conversations.

I know I'm trying to explain, notice the "only my opinion" at the end of most of my sentences here :p

We'll have to agree to disagree.

The way I interpret them is obviously different. Unless you were on the dev team or are Adam undercover I'm not sure how you're so certain you're view is right?

One: I remember Ric Flair winning the NWA World title for the first time even fewer current wrestling fans remember the Ric Flair from the 70's that had brown hair, was well-built and hadn't became "the Nature Boy" yet.

Might be able to find you a pic. LOL

Two: I remember MTV slowly making its way into the southern U.S.

Three: I also know Australia missed a large portion of U.S. wrestling programming for years and before the internet arrived making it easier to access more current wrestling info. (no this is not a knock on australia or a jab at australians)

Four: Exposure. This makes me more of an expert in american wrestling just as you are more of an expert in the old australian wrestling companies that may or may not still exist as well as the newer ones.

and Five: The Big one- I never said i was talking about their interpretation. I have been interpreting the "Rock 'n' Wrestling Connection" for you.

F it. i'm too tired to discuss it and would much rather discuss with you the current promotions in Australia.

Archived