One: I remember Ric Flair winning the NWA World title for the first time even fewer current wrestling fans remember the Ric Flair from the 70's that had brown hair, was well-built and hadn't became "the Nature Boy" yet.

Might be able to find you a pic. LOL

Two: I remember MTV slowly making its way into the southern U.S.

Three: I also know Australia missed a large portion of U.S. wrestling programming for years and before the internet arrived making it easier to access more current wrestling info. (no this is not a knock on australia or a jab at australians)

Four: Exposure. This makes me more of an expert in american wrestling just as you are more of an expert in the old australian wrestling companies that may or may not still exist as well as the newer ones.

and Five: The Big one- I never said i was talking about their interpretation. I have been interpreting the "Rock 'n' Wrestling Connection.

F it. i'm too tired to discuss it and would much rather discuss with you the current promotions in Australia.

:eek::D:rolleyes: Seriously. first read what forum section you're in, then read the topic of the thread you're posting in, then tell me what you said just made sense and had any context?

This thread is discussing the effects "Owner Preferences" have on the TEW game not whatever you seem to think it is.

Rock n wrestling

MTV, in particular, featured a great deal of WWF coverage and programming at this time, in what was termed the Rock 'n' Wrestling Connection.

ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wwe

Rock 'n' Wrestling Connection

While Crockett created a nationwide company, Vince McMahon and the World Wrestling Federation would go on to a period of unprecedented success in the mid 1980s.[2] The success was in part precipitated by the "Rock 'n' Wrestling Connection", a period of cooperation and cross-promotion between the WWF and elements of the music industry.[2] The idea was formed by WWF employee Lou Albano who met singer Cyndi Lauper on a plane to Puerto Rico.[2] Lauper asked Albano to appear as her father in her video for the single "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" in 1983.[2] McMahon later booked Lauper and Albano on a segment of Piper's Pit.[2] During the segment, the Rock 'n' Wrestling storyline began when Albano called Lauper a "broad", while Lauper retaliated by hitting him with her purse.[3] She then challenged Albano to a match, where the female wrestler of his choice would fight the female wrestler of her choice.[3] Lauper chose Wendi Richter, while Albano chose The Fabulous Moolah.[3] The match was scheduled for July 23, 1984 at The Brawl to End it All, broadcast live on MTV.[3][4] During the match, Lauper interfered on Richter's behalf by hitting Moolah in the head with her purse, dubbed "The Loaded Purse of Doom".[3] At the conclusion of the match, Richter had defeated Moolah for the WWF Women's Championship, which the WWF had promoted as Moolah holding for the previous 28 years.[5] Meanwhile, the connection between Lauper and the WWF continued with the video for the song "The Goonies 'R' Good Enough", "Time After Time", and "She Bop", all of which featured WWF wrestlers.[5] Richter later had a match with Moolah's protege Leilani Kai at The War to Settle the Score, with Lauper and Moolah in their respective corners.[6] Kai won the title with the help of Moolah.[6] Richter and Kai had a rematch at the inaugural WrestleMania, where Richter regained the title.[7]

On January 3, 1984, Hulk Hogan returned to the WWF. Hogan had been fired from the company by Vince McMahon, Sr. for appearing in the film Rocky III (seen by the elder McMahon as a breach of both etiquette and kayfabe), but was welcomed back to the company by Vincent K. McMahon. McMahon was able to parlay the mainstream popularity Hogan had gained from his role in Rocky III into an even greater level of celebrity. On September 14, 1985, Hulk Hogan's Rock 'n' Wrestling, an animated television series starring the character of Hulk Hogan, premiered on CBS. The series ran until June 6, 1987, in the process expanding Hogan's young fanbase.[8]

ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980s_wrestling_boom#Rock_.27n.27_Wrestling_Connection

:eek::D:rolleyes: Seriously. first read what forum section you're in, then read the topic of the thread you're posting in, then tell me what you said just made sense and had any context?

This thread is discussing the effects "Owner Preferences" have on the TEW game not whatever you seem to think it is.

Then that means you helped precipitate this "change of topic" when my original post was:

The MTV modern could be in relation to the short lived Wrestling Society X or could be based on the 80's rock and wrestling connection that the WWE & MTV pulled off back then updated for current standards.

notice the placement of the words "could be" and that wall of post with no relevance "could be" claimed as a real world interpretation of "MTV Modern" at that time.

Then that means you helped precipitate this "change of topic" when my original post was:

The only person that's had a "change of topic" in this thread has been you. Everyone else seems to understand the discussion, I'm not sure even now if you do.

I gave my impressions from the years of experience I've had of playing TEW :p on a feature and topic concerning TEW. I won't ask you how long you've been playing because I don't realy care, I back out of this conversation in hopes a dev can save it from facepalm territory.

As it pertains to owner preferences, time periods don't factor in at all. Thus, even in 1980 (or whenever Vincent K took over from Vincent J), WWE is Sports Entertainment as it is understood today. It is not MTV-style Modern. If you want to see what MTV-style Modern is, go buy a Wrestling Society X DVD (or check YouTube for their shows, if they exist there). The 'Well, they worked with MTV 25 years ago" line of thinking might be true, however it doesn't reflect the present day definitions. An owner with an MTV-style Modern preference is likely to have high levels of Modern and Daredevil in his/her product (eventually) as well as Cult.

I would call the WWF product during the rock 'n' wrestling time a mix of Mainstream and Traditional. Rock 'n' wrestling was a cartoon not a wrestling style. :)

your response to my original post is quite clear and is firmly tied to what "could be" on and off topics of my posts there after.

As it pertains to owner preferences, time periods don't factor in at all. Thus, even in 1980 (or whenever Vincent K took over from Vincent J), WWE is Sports Entertainment as it is understood today. It is not MTV-style Modern. If you want to see what MTV-style Modern is, go buy a Wrestling Society X DVD (or check YouTube for their shows, if they exist there). The 'Well, they worked with MTV 25 years ago" line of thinking might be true, however it doesn't reflect the present day definitions. An owner with an MTV-style Modern preference is likely to have high levels of Modern and Daredevil in his/her product (eventually) as well as Cult.

which is one of two possible lines of thinking i had in my original post. too bad we decided to ramble on the 80's rock n wrestling.

Thank you :)

Thank you :)

And, for proof, former XDW owner Xavier Reckless's owner preference is MTV-Style Modern.

And XDW's roster that we know of? Flashy, and very spotty, high fliers for the most part.

Maybe you guys should comeback to the topic subject itself? I'm not gonna point fingers to anyone, as it wasn't actually a bad discussion, but it's time to get back to topic, don't you think? loool

What's this you guys? Can you point out anywhere I went off topic? The whole thread I was the one trying to put it back on course. Do people read threads here anymore or just read last post and assume they know what's going on?

hellshock70 = someone who went overboard trying to make a point

genadi = last word much?

http://www.cultofmac.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/DoubleFacePalm.jpg

What's this you guys? Can you point out anywhere I went off topic? The whole thread I was the one trying to put it back on course. Do people read threads here anymore or just read last post and assume they know what's going on?

http://www.cultofmac.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/DoubleFacePalm.jpg

I did read the entire topic. And i'm not accusing or finger pointing anyone. (Who am i to do that? No one, of course!) So if i my post looked like an accusation or something, it wasn't on purpose.

Smart Mark Entertainment: As TecDax described the WCW product under Russo. *Shudders*

Wrestling As A Sport: Not so much based on MMA but more pure wrestling, the old school kayfabe product.

I'd always seen Smart Mark Entertainment as being Adam Pearce-era Ring of Honor, where you have storylines to follow and promos/interviews etc, but the in-ring action is mostly based on competitive, high-workrate matches between (for the most part) genuine wrestlers rather than sports entertainers.

I don't think it's intended to have much do to with 'smart mark' in the sense of Russo's late WCW booking, as how do you represent that in a product? There's no product setting for 'book randomly just to throw people off the scent'. There's no 'swerve' feature. The 'smart mark' part, to me, just referred to the fact that the fans of such a product would be relatively smart, and wouldn't suffer more than one or two talentless hacks (gotta allow for Necro Butcher I guess. Oooh, controversial~!).

Wrestling as a Sport is probably a nod to World of Sport and such, the old British style (and maybe the really old American style, I dunno, I wasn't around then) where it's not just 'pure wrestling', it's actually portrayed as if it was a sport, with rounds and scoring and championship rankings, weight classes and so on.

And as for MTV-Style Modern, that's pretty much 'Underground' from TEW05, I thought...

Archived