Official NFL Discussion Thread

Stennick

1) Panthers- Cam Newton, QB

Out of all the picks in the draft Cam Newton is the biggest question mark. He could either be the best QB in the draft and maybe player, or he could be the reason people stop looking at the Physical gifts of a QB and look at everything as a whole.

2) Broncos – Von Miller, DE/LB

They couldn’t mess up here, You honestly had the best pick of the draft for a couple reasons. If the Panthers didn’t take Cam you still would have had a choice at DT, plus Von Miller and the option to trade down for teams looking to get Cam. Von will help that horrible D out and Ayers, Elvis, and Him could be scary pass rushers

3) Bills – Marcell Dareus, DT

Wait, are they switching back to the 4-3? Dareus to me is best in a 4-3 and last time I checked this is a 3-4 team. He might be a nice End in the 3-4, but I am not sold. The 3-4 is where great DT go to die. It’s not a scheme where good D-Line people go to get to the QB’s, its more of a scheme where LB rush and D-Line clogs the holes to free them

4) Bengals- AJ Green, WR

If I was Carson Palmer I still wouldn’t come back. If I was Jordan Palmer I’d be happy as hell that they didn’t take a QB and I know get to throw to AJ Green.

5) Arizona – Patrick Peterson, CB

Nice pick to go across for Rogers. They need a lot of help and I think they are more sold of Kolb and McNabb then another rookie QB.

6) Falcons – Julio Jones, WR

Him…. Rodney….. Tony…. Who do you cover, no one knows. The Physical tools alone are going to draw comparisons to a mix of T.O and Randy Moss, which is funny because the issues are going to draw comparisons to T.O and Moss (drops, giving up on plays)

7) 49ers – Aldon Smith – DE

This is a high potential pick, They have been waiting for someone to help Willis out and Smith is a physical freak. Freak 2.0

8) Titans - Jake Locker – QB

Him and Ponder were surprises, but to me they fit the systems they were drafted to. Both go to teams who are looking for a quick turnaround and these two QB I think can do really well with their new teams

9) Cowboys – Tyron Smith – OT

I was surprised they took Smith over Poncey only because to me Poncey is the better overall player. Problem is drafting Poncey clogs you up because they know their starters at the Guards and Center position. Smith gives them a big, physical, talented tackle

10) Jags – Blane Gabbert – QB

Nice pick, Gabbert doesn’t impress me and impress me even less when you look at his numbers last year. With the Jags he will be expected to sit this year and show stuff next year.

11) Huston – JJ Watt , DE

I thought Fairley or Prince would have been better for the team. They paid a lot of money for Smith and now they drafted high. I don’t think they filled a need or drafted the best player. I guess Phillips was in Gary’s ear. Is JJ the next Ware?????? Doubtful

12) Vikings – Ponder, QB

Read Locker

13) Lions – Nick Fairley, DT

This could get scary or it could make 12 teams look smart. Fairley had a couple knocks the biggest being is he just a one year wonder? Well Suh will help him make sure he’s not

14) Rams – Robert Quinn, DE

Hasn’t played in a year that seems to be the winning pick for the Rams in the first round. Quinn was a great pick though even though we don’t know how he’ll do. The year off hurts, but I am sure with that year he has done nothing but prepare.

15) Dolphins – Mike Pouncey, C

To me the most solid pick in the draft. If he screws up a C you swap him to Guard and you have the best Guard selected in a while. He would have been a 1st rounder last year but wanted the chance to play with his brother in the pro’s. Mike is actually considered the better player of the two.

16) Redskins – Ryan Kerrigan, DE/LB

If he can put up similar numbers in the pros like in college is was a solid pick for them. I don’t see it happening sorry.

17) Pats – Nate Solder, OT

I think Matt Light comes back, the tag on Mankins happens and Solder sits the first year. He was a confusing pick, but after asking around all I have heard is at this pick he was the OT with the most upside. He was actually their second choice here as well, they really wanted Pouncey.

18) Chargers – Corey Liuget, DE/DT

Don’t know much about him.

19) Giants – Prince Amukamara, CB

I didn’t have a CB on their radar. I thought more weapons on Offense was the plan. Prince will have a year where he looks bad, maybe two, but the third I think you see what he is really worth

20) Bucs – Adrian Clayborn, DE

Clayborn was a surprise, I thought they were looking at Jordan more. He had a nice year as a junior and then numbers declined. High motor and hopefully he can help McCoy breathes life into the pass rush

21) Browns – Phil Taylor, DT

Shawn Rogers is gone and they need a new DT.

22) Colts – Anthony Castonzo, OT

Gruden couldn’t have said it better. 18 is still walking on the field and you need someone to protect him. Enter Castonzo who will probably replace the guy who replaced Glenn.

23) Eagles – Danny Watkins, OG

I really think they should have gone with Carpenter here. Watkins might be more ready, but Carpenter has more room to grow.

24) Saints – Cameron Jordan, DE

With the Will Smith issue looming and the fact that they needed another end to go opposite of Will Smith I think Cameron was a great value pick.

25) Seahawks – James Carpenter, OG

Do they have a horrible running game…. Yes, but Marshawn Lynch has another year under his belt and is a former 1000 yard rusher. Russel was taken to take over for Jones last year and Carpenter will help fill in at Guard, maybe finally helping people somewhat forget about Steven Hutch?

26) Chiefs – Jonathan Baldwin, WR

I was quiet about this pick, I know the Chiefs want more playmakers for Cassel, but also I think more defense would help them as well. I didn’t believe there was another 1st round WR after Julio Jones either.

27) Ravens – Jimmy Smith, CB

Jimmy Smith came into this draft with more trouble issues then Talib did, Talib slid because of it as well as Smith. Good thing for Smith though is he was selected by a team known for keeping people under control. Rey Lewis and Ed Reed aren’t letting this kid act stupid and an aging secondary really needed this guy. If it weren’t for the off the field issues he probably would have been challenging Peterson for the top CB spot.

28) Saints - Mark Ingram, HB

What has Sean Payton and Drew Brees been missing…. A RB that can get you 1000 yards. Ingram might be that player. He also helps you with the Alabama market :p

29) Bears – Gabe Carimi, OT

This was easy for the pick for the Bears, they would have probably loved to get a DT but with some much talent in the draft they knew they could wait. They got a guy from a school that can put Tackles out. Carimi will block Cutler and hope to keep him upright, don’t expect him to be the only one too. I wouldn’t be surprised if they selected 3 to 4 more O-Line people before the 6 round.

30) Jets - Muhammad Wilkerson, DT

This pick makes sense now. He can help fill a void left by Jenkins.

31) Steelers - Cameron Heyward, DE/LB

Hey they are getting old on Defense and Cameron could come in and learn and play under the likes of James Harrison. Honestly I think they tried to move up for Pouncey, but just couldn’t get the pieces together.

32) Packers – Derek Sherrod, OT

You still wanna protect the franchise. Bryan was taken last year in the first and started in the Superbowl. Now Sherrod will make that O-Line even younger.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About the Detroit Lions offensive line real quick I heard the stat that their offensive line was 3rd in fewest sacks allowed last year.

Also Stafford won that Browns game 2 years ago that he got hurt. He got up after getting hurt and came back into the game with his bum NON throwing arm and threw the game winning TD.

The Lions were beating the Bears when he got hurt that 2nd time. Stafford returned on October 31 against the Washington Redskins and threw 4 touchdowns to lead the Lions to a 37-25 win.

On November 7, Stafford re-injured his right shoulder in the fourth quarter of the Lions 23-20 OT loss to the New York Jets.

So with Stafford it looks like the Lions will be able to compete with the best teams such as the Jets. Now that we have the best defensive line (arguably) in the NFC North I expect 10 wins this year as long as "Glass Joe" Matt Stafford can stay healthy.

Now if Detroit can pick up a couple linebackers in the next few rounds or a linebacker/corner combo I'd be happy. I wouldn't mind getting an offensive lineman late in the draft and my personal opinion is that every team should look to draft a QB in the 6th or 7th round no matter what.

(Oh we were ahead of the Patriots at half time last year, and beat the Packers toward the end of the season.)

About the Detroit Lions offensive line real quick I heard the stat that their offensive line was 3rd in fewest sacks allowed last year.

Also Stafford won that Browns game 2 years ago that he got hurt. He got up after getting hurt and came back into the game with his bum NON throwing arm and threw the game winning TD.

The Lions were beating the Bears when he got hurt that 2nd time. Stafford returned on October 31 against the Washington Redskins and threw 4 touchdowns to lead the Lions to a 37-25 win.

On November 7, Stafford re-injured his right shoulder in the fourth quarter of the Lions 23-20 OT loss to the New York Jets.

So with Stafford it looks like the Lions will be able to compete with the best teams such as the Jets. Now that we have the best defensive line (arguably) in the NFC North I expect 10 wins this year as long as "Glass Joe" Matt Stafford can stay healthy.

Now if Detroit can pick up a couple linebackers in the next few rounds or a linebacker/corner combo I'd be happy. I wouldn't mind getting an offensive lineman late in the draft and my personal opinion is that every team should look to draft a QB in the 6th or 7th round no matter what.

(Oh we were ahead of the Patriots at half time last year, and beat the Packers toward the end of the season.)

Honestly, I know he scares a crap load of people but they might go for Bowers. He would fill that other end and make the D-Line extremely scary. If he does have a knee problem teams have poked and probed him and will find out.

If not you still need more help at secondary. I have always believed a team should fix the D-Line first, then the secondary and sprinkle in LB when you find them. The kid from UCLA will probably be there so that is another choice.

Honestly, I know he scares a crap load of people but they might go for Bowers. He would fill that other end and make the D-Line extremely scary. If he does have a knee problem teams have poked and probed him and will find out.

If not you still need more help at secondary. I have always believed a team should fix the D-Line first, then the secondary and sprinkle in LB when you find them. The kid from UCLA will probably be there so that is another choice.

There is no way they will take Bowers in the 2nd round. I wouldn't mind it though as I want a dominant D-Line. I also want a quality MLB but we have a more pressing need for outside linebackers. Julian Peterson is gone and Zach Follet messed his neck up last year and may never play football again.

There is no way they will take Bowers in the 2nd round. I wouldn't mind it though as I want a dominant D-Line. I also want a quality MLB but we have a more pressing need for outside linebackers. Julian Peterson is gone and Zach Follet messed his neck up last year and may never play football again.

Levy is fine in the Middle and they don't seem to have plans to move him to the outside at all. But you are right they don't have anyone to play outside right now with the Follet injury. Personally I like Bobby Carpenter but I'm not sure even I'm comfortable with them having to depend on him. They really wouldn't have the luxury of grabbing Bowers too (and with the way he slipped something must be really wrong).

Outside of McCarth out of Miami I don't like many ILB in this draft and the only reason I like McCarth is he is from that Miami LB group coached by a former LB. I am not sure how well he adjust to the NFL style, but maybe he could be a Dan Morgan type without the injuries. ILB is something you want to look at next year when it is expected to be a much more talented class at LB altogether.

Levy is fine in the Middle and they don't seem to have plans to move him to the outside at all. But you are right they don't have anyone to play outside right now with the Follet injury. Personally I like Bobby Carpenter but I'm not sure even I'm comfortable with them having to depend on him. They really wouldn't have the luxury of grabbing Bowers too (and with the way he slipped something must be really wrong).

I am not sold on Levy. He has been hurt a few times and seems to have a hard time shedding blockers (with 2 big DT's that will be less of an issue). Carpenter looked good when we picked him up but not good enough to give me confidence that he could be a legit starter. Follett hadn't even shown me enough to be a quality starter other than his will to be good.

Outside of McCarth out of Miami I don't like many ILB in this draft and the only reason I like McCarth is he is from that Miami LB group coached by a former LB. I am not sure how well he adjust to the NFL style, but maybe he could be a Dan Morgan type without the injuries. ILB is something you want to look at next year when it is expected to be a much more talented class at LB altogether.

I can wait for an ILB but no matter what in the next 2 picks I need them to get an OLB. Speed and athleticism would be idea from that position with this pick. Akeem Ayers would be nice but he is known to take a play off every now and then. With the 44th pick though it's worth the risk I feel.

If Aaron Williams drops to use from Texas I would pick him. That guy is good!

I don't know anything about the NFL apart from what makes the main newscasts, so I know about the lockout. I presume that's why Roger Goodell was booed heavily throughout the night, but is that also why every draft announcement was met with resounding boos? I could see why some fans would boo picks, if they wanted them for their team, but it sounded like most picks got booed by everybody there.

I don't know anything about the NFL apart from what makes the main newscasts, so I know about the lockout. I presume that's why Roger Goodell was booed heavily throughout the night, but is that also why every draft announcement was met with resounding boos? I could see why some fans would boo picks, if they wanted them for their team, but it sounded like most picks got booed by everybody there.

Fans are mad at both sides. Goddell is somewhat to blame, but so are owners, players, agents, and partly fans.

We made sports into this unstoppable mega giant (like Walmart) and now we are at their mercy.

Yeah Goodell is ruining football. He wants teams over seas, and to eventually become global. Does anyone remember NFL Europe? No? Oh yeah that's cuz it sucked and nobody cared including people over there. This draft is a bit funky though too as there are so many players that are high risk and high reward. Not sure why so many guys seem like they are projected between picks 5 and pick 40.

Fans are mad at both sides. Goddell is somewhat to blame, but so are owners, players, agents, and partly fans.

We made sports into this unstoppable mega giant (like Walmart) and now we are at their mercy.

I wouldn't compare it to Wal-Mart. I'd compare it more to the oil companies.

Yeah Goodell is ruining football. He wants teams over seas, and to eventually become global. Does anyone remember NFL Europe? No? Oh yeah that's cuz it sucked and nobody cared including people over there. This draft is a bit funky though too as there are so many players that are high risk and high reward. Not sure why so many guys seem like they are projected between picks 5 and pick 40.

I wouldn't compare it to Wal-Mart. I'd compare it more to the oil companies.

Do you need football to live? (meaning gas to work, power your house, etc) Walmart you don't need to survive. If NFL isn't around on Sunday's people will watch college and spend time with the family on Sunday lol

If you don't like Walmart you can go to Target. If you don't like the NFL you can watch college, highschool, AFL, UFL, and others. Oil you can't just switch.

Also you could do it like this

Walmart-NFL

Target- NBA

A mall - MLB

somewhere - NHL

So did the Bucs do well in the draft? I think so, they address both ends (including getting the most talented DE in the draft in the 2nd round). Mason from Washington is someone I really do like, he reminds be off the physical ability and motor of Derrick Brooks.

There are still concerns at O-Line and the secondary. Bowers injury scares people (he feel from top 5 to 53) but that might put that chip on his shoulder. If I was the Bucs I would keep Talib for one reason, you need him. He will probably get suspended for 4 to 8 games, but when he comes back he will help. If you release him you get nothing from him, if he does it again he's pretty much gone for good anyways. Tanard is the same way, he has done anything like Talib, he just likes to puff and has failed test 2 times because of it. I am not saying that their actions warrant to keep them and if they don't I am fine with it, but I personally don't care they are getting in trouble more because I don't care when celebs. get in trouble.

I didn't understand 2 RB's from the Pats unless they are going to put Woodhead at FB. Also I love the Mallet pick. It gives him at least 3 years to sit and learn behind arguably the best QB all-time. Sorry I would take Brady over Manning any day, look at the WR's Brady has had to throw to and then look at Manning's there is no comparison to how much better the talent Manning had around him. When Brady started to get that type of talent his numbers improved greatly.

Still Mallet could be the next Aaron Rogers (not saying he will be) He has a cannon and he will sit and get mop up duty. He might not even be the backup QB this year. They will teach him the playbook and get him young weapons in the next couple drafts so when he comes in he is ready.

Also the lockout that is back in place, I hope coaches at least got the time to get their players some info (if I was a player I would have copied some of the plays on a piece of paper so I can at least practice some of the playbook. I really don't believe there will be a lock, but more because the owners now realize all the chips they had are pretty much gone. They won't get to keep all that money from the TV contracts and they have some coaches and employees still getting paid. Players and the owners can't handle a lockout, fans will revolt, they will lose money, and for players that is one less year to make money.

Also the Texans make no sense. two DE for your first 2 picks makes no sense to me. Mario Williams is a talented DE (and surprisingly was the best choice at number one over Bush and Vince Young).

Or Reed is playing OLB.

Basically...OLBs.

Maybe the remaining DE are Watt and Antonio Smith?

Meh. I trust was Tubby is doing for the moment.

Hows the Redskins draft going can someone give me a summary

I think you guys probably picked up a great WR in the third round in Hankerson from Miami. The only area of concern I have with the Redskins is the defense. I think Jarvis Jenkis (DT from Clemson you guys picked up in the 2nd round) Hanyesworthless, Kerrigan, are better suited for 4-3 scheme. I think the biggest reason Albert is such a problem (before the off the field crap) with Mike is because he doesn't want to be in a 3-4 scheme and that is understandable. Albert is a player who was made for the 4-3 scheme and that's where he should be IMHO.

Still i lover Hankerson from Miami. He had Harris throwing to him which really didn't help him, but with all the great names at wideout that have come through that school he holds the record for most receiving touchdowns.

Cam Newton was asked many times today if he wanted to be great which he replied "yes" then after all of this a report asked this (this was at his press conference after he was selected) "What's next Cam?" Cam replies "Idk, probably taking my family on vacation." face and palm are introduced for everyone who is a panther lol