[HYPE] The Year 2000

It's the day after Wrestlemania 2000. Triple H has made WWF history by being the first heel to leave Wrestlemania with World Heavyweight gold. The McMahon-Helmsley Faction is at the peak of its power and influence. While the main event represented perhaps the platonic ideal of sports entertainment, the show was stolen by the Hardy Boyz, the Dudley Boyz, and Edge & Christian in an epic Triangle Ladder Match for WWF Tag Team gold. With The Radicalz, Kurt Angle, and Chris Jericho also on the card, Wrestlemania's midcard is a showcase of future world champions. The company is running on all cylinders, despite the recent injuries of Steve Austin and The Undertaker.

It's make-or-break time for World Championship Wrestling. Promos have been run for a week asking members of the WCW roster how they feel about the incoming creative team of Eric Bischoff and Vince Russo. This represented a major shift in the style of WCW programming and broke not just kayfabe, but also the fourth wall, in ways that hadn't really been addressed before in a wrestling broadcast. As Russo pushes a more risque product with a heavier emphasis on everything but wrestling, it's difficult to say whether or not the fans will go along for the ride. It's fair to say that if WCW doesn't see improvements in the very near future, the Monday Night Wars could soon come to an end.

It's a time of trouble for Extreme Championship Wrestling. The ECW World Heavyweight Championship is held by Mike Awesome, a man not under contract to the company. Last October, ECW got its first national television exposure, on a channel actively hostile to its programming. Some performers have gone unpaid for months, and others are jumping ship. In the last year, The Dudley Boyz and Taz have both moved to the WWF. More are expected to follow. Paul Heyman is lucky to get three hours of sleep a night.

It's my first real world mod, and it's in the works right now.

Status Update

(Italicized numbers indicate a recent update)

Agers: 0 (and likely to stay that way)

Alter Egos: 84

Angles: 0 (likely to import from Cornellverse)

Chemistry: 0 (going to stay that way)

Dojo Graduates: 2

Dojos: 2

End of Year: 0

Eras: 1

Events: 0

Gimmicks: 209

Hall of Immortals: 12

Injuries: 93 (Imported from Cornellverse, with changes to be made later)

Locations: 358 (Cornellverse imports, for testing purposes)

Match Types: 148 (Imported from Cornellverse)

Media Groups: 7

Move Sets: 93

Moves: 122

Narratives: 11

PPV Agreements: 0

PPV Carriers: 0

Promotion Pacts: 0

Promotions: 4

Stables: 3

Start Injuries: 3

Starting Storylines: 0

Storylines: 0

Teams: 33

Title Lineage: 0

Titles: 23

TV Networks: 5

TV Show Slots: 3

TV Shows: 3

User Characters: 6

Worker Relations: 27

Workers: 109

Damn this mod gonna kicks ass. 2000 was my fav year in the WWF. It was a great year for WWF tho. When u expecting this to be out man?

Not a clue. It's slow going. I haven't really been satisfied by any real world data but Tommy Tomlin's, and even his work had inflated stats to make up for TEW 2007's bad AI booking, so this data set is essentially being made from scratch. The only imported data comes from the Cornellverse, because I needed some stand-in venues and matches, but a lot of that is likely to be gone by release.

As of last night, the WWF main roster is more or less done. Still not sure what to do about The Fabulous Moolah and Mae Young, but everyone else is there. Part of the problem with this era is that The Undertaker and Steve Austin were both injured at this time, and even though it was a period where the WWF was on fire it's hard to simulate that through TEW without jacking up everyone's popularity to an unrealistic level... and it's already pretty inflated when compared to the Cornellverse. Some other issues I've seen are that the AI really, really likes pushing Rikishi and Road Dogg to the moon for some reason, the Intercontinental and European titles seem "stuck" on Benoit and Jericho because they're usually too far up the card to lose them, and when Chris Kreski leaves the head booker position at the end of 2000 it goes to either Shane or Pat Patterson instead of Stephanie for no easily discernible reason. No matter what I do, show ratings are just low enough that the WWF is likely to fall to cult by Wrestlemania 17, so I'm thinking I might need to bump up some stats or maybe the whole thing blows over once I give the company a developmental federation to stick the Mean Street Posse.

Also: The first post now contains a status update!

• 2 weeks later...
The going has been slow, since I've been sidetracked by stuff like school, a life, and actually playing TEW 2010, but this mod is still happening. The original post has been updated to reflect recent changes in the data. Right now I'm debating on whether or not there should be a narrative feature to represent ECW's money troubles.

Im looking forward to this, but why make it so realistic? I understand to this date, but part of the game is making it unique. Why add narratives to kill ECW? Why not just see if the game kills it?

As for the Benoit and Jericho, make their titles floating titles?

Im looking forward to this, but why make it so realistic? I understand to this date, but part of the game is making it unique. Why add narratives to kill ECW? Why not just see if the game kills it?

The goal isn't to kill ECW, but to make it harder for ECW to survive. The company was seriously on the ropes at that time, so it's very hard to get the right feel if it's easy to make ECW financially solvent by the beginning of the summer.

As for the Benoit and Jericho, make their titles floating titles?

Bad idea. The titles will just drift further and further up the card until there are three main event belts and nothing for the midcard.

• 4 months later...

<p>Status update. Work on this project has resumed. Recent attempts to play other historical mods has just reminded me that I'm too much of a perfectionist to play any mod I didn't make.</p><p> </p><p>

I've tweaked the WWF a little more, and the ECW roster is maybe two thirds of the way done. I'm pleased with the way ECW events are playing out right now: While ECW pulls solid show ratings, the company doesn't show any sign of forward momentum, cash flow is a serious problem, and a good chunk of the wrestlers are a little too high up the card for their skill level.</p><p> </p><p>

I can only promise you guys that when this mod is released, we haven't even begun to have fun with the data set. I have plans.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
Really looking forward to this, as I love trying to tackle the New Blood angle. WCW had such a dirge of talent who could and should get a push, which is always the problem in playing as them. And it was such a rich time for the WWF, the main event scene ,even though completely dominated by 3H and The Rock, was doing so well. And Undertaker's return was right around the corner to add to it. As I said, looking so forward to this mod.

sounds great. been looking for a mod around this time. cant wait. :D

In the meantime you should check out futurelegends mod of 2000 as well as Gehandi, but that's not to say this won't be a great mod I'm just saying there are in fact others.

Good luck with this mod man and if you need any help feel free to ask!

For WWE ... I actually feel to simulate WWE 'properly' it requires use of narratives to artificially bump up their popularity etc ... This represents them being on news shows etc ... and their huge advertising budget etc ...

Perhaps a few narratives and then leave the player/AI to prop itself up after that to simulate a realistic decline?

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Pinke" data-cite="Pinke" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26656" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>For WWE ... I actually feel to simulate WWE 'properly' it requires use of narratives to artificially bump up their popularity etc ... This represents them being on news shows etc ... and their huge advertising budget etc ... <p> </p><p> Perhaps a few narratives and then leave the player/AI to prop itself up after that to simulate a realistic decline?</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I've found that a slightly more elegant way to handle the situation is to tweak the Importance ratings in the US. Puerto Rico is more of a wrestling hotbed than its Cornellverse Importance would indicate, and bumping up the rating in "flyover country" gives a national promotion a better chance not to drop to Cult after a few bad shows.</p>

Archived