The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

It's sort of ironic because Melendez won like I thought Kawajiri would win (IE wrestleboxing) and Kawajiri lost like I thought Melendez would win (IE indulging Aoki in the scrambles STOP DOING THIS)

I don't even hate Aoki the way some people do and I give him a fair chance against Melendez in a ring. People overstate its importance for a lot of guys but Aoki's takedowns are pretty reliant on backing guys into a corner with sloppy singles and grabbing that leg when it's trapped.

It was a really entertaining card nonetheless and it had some pleasant results. Kikuno had a competitive fight with JZ, Ishida rules and Mousasi looked sort of competent defending a takedown from a bloated wrestler.

Amoussou is fun to watch but I've never been particularly invested him.

Well, to Aoki's credit he's got a lot of strength for someone his size. Plus he's got that Nogueira death grip when he's on the ground.

As I said before, I take nothing away from Kawajiri in this fight. It was a mental error that he made, thus he needs a better camp. I like both Kawajiri and Ishida, but the fact is neither are going to get better unless they branch out. I mean it's cool to stay in the same camp, but come on.... let's see some training outside of Japan more often.

Aoki won in surprising fashion and makes you feel like it was a setup to keep him relevant, and I'd be onto that conspiracy if it were anyone other than Kawajiri(or another upstanding Japanese fighter).

Watching DREAM a second time, mostly without the volume on during the fights... But watching the video montage for Mizuno and couldn't help but laugh. It's like "Hey... Remember when Cro Cop beat this guy's ass severely?" It's like reverse marketing... They would build him up for a second, and then immediately go back to Cro Cop beating him up. And then it's like "Oh yeah, it's gonna happen again!"

Fast forward to Manhoef getting absolutely spanked for the next several minutes... Japan's organizers hide their face in shame.

Yeah, Schiavello is definitely on speed: "Manhoef is ready to molest and violate Mizuno!" .... Really? This guy has taken a few props he's gotten on various message boards and has since kicked his personality into an obnoxious overdrive.

In my opinion this just makes UFC signing Mark Hunt even more retarded. 0-5 in his last 5 fights with a KO loss to a middleweight. Good job Dana.

It isn't a new signing, it's because Hunt was still contractually owed fights from the Pride takeover. They either have to book him or pay him off, so they may as well use him.

It isn't a new signing, it's because Hunt was still contractually owed fights from the Pride takeover. They either have to book him or pay him off, so they may as well use him.

I had heard that rumor, but hadn't seen it confirmed. After you said that I read more on it, and you're right. They release fighters from their contracts all the time for having poor performances, and just pay them their base. Not sure why they'd set a poor standing and let Hunt fight when

A) he most likely will never make the weight and B) is on a massive losing streak to low-end fighters(aside from Mousasi). Would have made more sense if they just gave him his cash and sent him on his way. Who knows, maybe Hunt will make weight and turn it around, and I'll eat my words.

I had heard that rumor, but hadn't seen it confirmed. After you said that I read more on it, and you're right. They release fighters from their contracts all the time for having poor performances, and just pay them their base. Not sure why they'd set a poor standing and let Hunt fight when

A) he most likely will never make the weight and B) is on a massive losing streak to low-end fighters(aside from Mousasi). Would have made more sense if they just gave him his cash and sent him on his way. Who knows, maybe Hunt will make weight and turn it around, and I'll eat my words.

Dana Twittered, Tweeted, Twote...or whatever it's supposed to be a day or two ago I believe.

Mark's story is a really sad one. The guy is literally flat broke. His head has apparently been out of the game for a long time, but he's basically been forced into a corner where fighting is his only way to make money. He's currently selling subscriptions to his blog. You have to pay $97 (US) to register, then $19.97 per week subscription. Seriously. There's a lot more to Mark's story that meets the eye; he has a very troubled past from what I'm told and has had problems with the law and from hanging around with some seriously, seriously shady individuals. And not in a cool Enson Inoue "chilling with the Yakuza" way either.

As for the UFC thing, a colleague of mine spoke to a high-profile MMA agent about it...from what I understand, the UFC had the option to buy out the contracts...but obviously it's the fighter's call at the end of the day as to whether or not they accept. Mark didn't. A single win in the UFC, plus the bonuses, endorsements and visibility that go along with it, will be worth more to him than the base on his deal (which in itself is no small sum, so I'm told).

I'm not sure if they can cut him on a single loss either, as is the case with all UFC contracts.

The reason it's all taken so long is that the UFC have been involved in various legal actions with the people that were behind Pride following the buyout. Those fighters who were still under contract were told that they were free to look for work elsewhere in the interim. I guess they're at the stage where they're tying up loose ends!

Upon rewatching Aoki - Kawajiri a couple times I no longer feel as bad because I noticed Aoki did something my BJJ coach likes to do.

When he's got your leg tied up as he did he can either go for a straight ankle lock or a heel hook. For the ankle lock you want to get your foot flat on the mat and get your weight on it so he can't extend it. For the heel hook you want to spin your heel away and power in with your knee to get it out from their legs.

He made a 50/50 decision and it was the wrong one. Still dumb to not just disengage the minute he sprawled but it's not like he was thoroughly outgrappled.

e: For what it's worth I'm not a rabid Aoki hater, I like the guy. I just like Kawajiri more and I think Kawajiri beats Melendez more reliably.

So the UFC are back in sunny In-Gur-Lund in a couple of months time with UFC 120. There's already been a huge backlash from the UK fans (as usual), but this is the first time outside of UFC 95 where I think they have something to be aggrieved about. As it stands we have...

Main Card:

Bisping vs Akiyama

Dan Hardy vs Carlos Condit

John Hathaway vs Dong-Hyun Kim

Cheick Kongo vs Travis Browne

Spencer Fisher vs Kurt Warburton

Prelims:

Cyrille Diabate vs Alexander Gustafsson

Big Rob Broughton vs Vinicius de Quieroz

James McSweeny vs Tom Blackledge

I know that Paul Sass is fighting as well.

On the one hand, it certainly isn't a 'numbered' UFC, despite having similar ticket pricing. At the same time, it's better than the UFC cards on Spike and the UFC LIVE cards on Versus.

Last time they visited the main event of Couture vs Vera was announced after tickets went on sale, before which Bisping/Kang was the main event...from what I understand there's going to be no suck luck this time.

What says everyone on the quality of this card?

Hathaway - Dong is the only really good fight on there but it's free and people are spoiled.

Bisping - Akiyama means one of my two most hated fighters loses, probably in hilarious fashion. Expect Akiyama to take round 1 before gassing and the fight turns into Bisping stalking him and letting off two clean straight rights for round 2 and 3.

Hardy - Condit could be interesting but is probably going to be 3 rounds of Hardy holding Condit down/against the fence.

Kongo - Browne, well. Could be fun, could be awful, depends if Browne can stop Kongo from taking him down.

Fisher - Warburton... no idea. Warburton is a new English signing and I've never kept close check of the English regional scene.

e: I'm calling Hathaway - Dong interesting/really good because it's the first real test of Hathaway's wrestling and I'm one of those weird people who love seeing Fitch, Okami and Dong fight because that style of grinding your opponent down and winning by making them look bad just really tickles me.

I think Hardy vs Condit should be the main event. I actually expect fireworks from this fight.

Bisping should handle Akiyama with ease. Don't really see how this fight helps Bispings title run.

Hathaway/Kim is the only other fight that I am looking forward too. So yeah I would say overall you are getting a pretty weak card.

Bisping - Akiyama means one of my two most hated fighters loses, probably in hilarious fashion. Expect Akiyama to take round 1 before gassing and the fight turns into Bisping stalking him and letting off two clean straight rights for round 2 and 3.

Same for me. Which, strangely, is enough to keep me excited about the card.

Doubt I'd pay for it (think it's on Spike in the US, right?) or buy a ticket though.

Same for me. Which, strangely, is enough to keep me excited about the card.

Doubt I'd pay for it (think it's on Spike in the US, right?) or buy a ticket though.

It's free on Spike.

I hope that the fight is three rounds of awful, awful kickboxing where Bisping narrowly gets a decision over Akiyama.

As much as I hate Bisping because he's incredibly unlikeable in everything he does and has a hugely punchable face there's no way I'll ever root for the guy who greased up and loaded his gloves against Sakuraba.

Hathaway - Dong is the only really good fight on there but it's free and people are spoiled.

Not if you have to pay £70 for the cheapest seat :-p

Fisher - Warburton... no idea. Warburton is a new English signing and I've never kept close check of the English regional scene.

Warburton is a little scrapper. He's 1-1-1 against Ross Pearson, but honestly, Ross got the better of the three fights. Just.

Sass is a submission machine. Won his first 7 by triangle, with only one guy lasting as long as the second round. That's a world record in MMA, apparently. He's currently 10-0 with a couple of heel-hooks and a decision. Notable wins on the UK scene against Martin 'Stapes' Stapleton (the soldier from TUF 9) and Rob Sinclair.

Rob Broughton is a big old brawler. He's very, very fit though...his body hides some deceptively great cardio. He's 7-2 since Feb 2007, with losses to Jesse Gibbs (one of the best submission grapplers in Europe) and Ricco Rodriguez. As for skillset...let me put it this way. He's got very far as a part time fighter, and since the Wolfslair have got hold of him, he's got fitter, trimmer and better. He's always going to suffer from the lack of a wrestling background (especially in the UFC), but given a few years he could establish himself as a Gonzaga/Kongo level fighter...beats the scrubs but cant crack the upper echilon.

Blackledge is a good striker who has been doing more coaching than fighting over the years. He's never really been a full time fighter, and has been fighting as an under-sized HW when he's really an average-sized 205'er. His last KO was siiiiiick.

It's official by the way; M-1 are not paying their fighters.

There have been rumours of M-1 employees not being paid for a couple of months, but nobody has been able to say anything as they were (until now) just that; rumours.

Now a number of fighters have come out and said that M-1 have not paid them. Doesn't look good.

The rumour doing the rounds was that M-1 was backed by a number of business men in Russia who were willing to chuck money at it for the purpose of being associated with the baddest man on the planet. The kind of guys to whom a hundred grand here or there isn't much of an issue. Ever wondered who the 30-40 people were who M-1 flew over to Cali for Affliction 3, that were mentioned in the M-1/Affliction lawsuit? Now you know. Puzzled as to how M-1 could run the world-wide M-1 Challenge and Selections events without any kind of decent PPV, sponsorship or TV money? Now you know.

Anyway, long story short...rumours persist that Fedor lost, and the money very, very quickly dried up. Could mean that either A) They're already having cash-flow problems or B) There's going to be some major restructuring in the near future.

People act like Fedor is somehow above M1... He owns part of the company, unless I'm just dead wrong.

You're right, he does own a minority share in the company, but he has nothing to do with the running of it or any of the business side of M-1, or his own career for that matter.

As for if the man has money...who knows? He's certainly earned some over the years, but M-1 take care of literally everything for him. He doesn't exactly live like a king (or your average sports star for that matter), but I very much hope that he has something put away.

I always thought HDNet paid M-1 for the right to air the M-1 Challenge. In any case, the whole thing is cool and I hope they can keep it going.

I do too because it's hilarious. M-1 events always have at least one fight where a guy gets his back taken because he turns around to escape the guard or something.

I do too because it's hilarious. M-1 events always have at least one fight where a guy gets his back taken because he turns around to escape the guard or something.

It's those damn amateur wrestling instincts. All my life I was taught three things when it came to wrestling.

1. Wrist Control

2. Never reach back (because of the half nelson or the wing)

3. Stay off your back

So, when I nervously made a few attempts at MMA in a gym setting, as soon as my back hit the mat I popped my hips and rolled over. And then came the choke. Luckily this was just sparring, so I didn't end up with a bruised windpipe.

I always thought HDNet paid M-1 for the right to air the M-1 Challenge. In any case, the whole thing is cool and I hope they can keep it going.

Well yeah, they do...just not enough to go galavanting around the world with such a lavish set up. Even without knowing the exact figures involved, if you look at the production, venues, travel, talent etc that M-1 uses compared to say King of the Cage...well it just doesn't add up.

The M-1 Challenge as it used to be (teams from various countries) had already been scrapped or shelved...they were using the M-1 Selections events to find talent for something called Challengers.

Instead of teams, each of the four regions where Selection events have been held will have five 'champions' (one in each weight class) who will then fight each other. No idea if it'll be a bracketed tournament or a round-robin affair though.

Shields has officially signed with the UFC and is fighting in their 170lbs division.

I honestly think he'd be better suited for 185 because there aren't as many wrestlers that are better strikers than him there but his success is all going to depend on who he fights.

If he gets the winner of Alves - Fitch he's dead meat. If he gets Kampmann or someone like this I think it'd be an interesting fight.

e: More big news! Apparently FEG has found a new investor, some Chinese bank. This probably means FEG will start holding events in China soon and eventually the rest of Asia.

Tanikawa says that PUJI are supplying with around 230 million US dollar (20 billion yen).