The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

I'm desperately trying to track down a video but no luck since there are roughly 0 people subscribing to Samurai TV or whatever the station it's on is called.

I mean it'll turn up eventually the way all things do (trying to track down Masaaki Noiri fights in Krush are an exercise in frustration) but it'll probably be a few months down the line.

Also stop posting those pictures they make me sad :(

I think it was just after the dust had settled on 2009's NYE events that I posted something about Sengoku being up Poo Creek without a paddle and Japanese MMA dying on it's arse.

One of the points I made was that Sengoku couldn't find a TV network to air the Ishii vs Yoshida fight, or a sponsor to foot the bill for it (hence why we got the Sengoku vs DREAM thing last NYE). Basically, their only option was to buy TV time like an infomercial...pretty much a death knell.

Well....

...guess who might be in the same boat this year?

Apparently this isn't 100% as negotiations are ongoing...but if true, this is really, really bad news for K-1/MMA in Japan. 2011 could be a bleak year.

EDIT: Head Kick Legend has now picked this up - http://www.headkicklegend.com/2010/11/25/1836618/feg-negotiating-contract-with-tokyo-broadcasting-system-for-dynamite?

Also, Badr Hari won't be fighting at the WGP finals for definite now. He's a free man, but feels it's too soon to come back to the ring, and is still 'reflecting' on his epic douchbaggery in the Gerges fight earlier this year.

Boo. Still, it's one step further to Overeem being crowned GP champ! All we need now is for Schilt to be involved in some kind of 'low-ceiling vs giant' related accident in his hotel prior to the WGP finals...

FEG running pay-to-play is bad bad bad but everything is not terrible.

http://www.headkicklegend.com/2010/11/26/1836858/its-showtime-plans-to-run-events-in-the-united-states-in-2011

It's Showtime!, the much more competently run promotion that air fantastic internet PPVs for €10, are planning on running shows in the US. K-1 tried this but they were bogged down by Japanese politics and cheating to get Sapp wins (I think it was the Kimo fight?) so this could actually be really big if they get some momentum behind it.

If FEG die that'll be the end of whatever tenuous grasp kickboxing has on casual awareness. If Showtime can pick up the slack though, it could be for the better within a few years. Less Sapp, Choi and Nortje, more European/Asian/African regional prospects having great fights and getting airtime. There will be a couple lean years in between but it'll turn out all right in the end I think!

And speaking of Showtime, they're airing another one of those €10 iPPVs I think December 11th potentially featuring Petrosyan (if his hand isn't broken) vs. Pajonsuk who's the #2 thai after Buakaw.

FEG running pay-to-play is bad bad bad but everything is not terrible.

http://www.headkicklegend.com/2010/11/26/1836858/its-showtime-plans-to-run-events-in-the-united-states-in-2011

It's Showtime!, the much more competently run promotion that air fantastic internet PPVs for €10, are planning on running shows in the US. K-1 tried this but they were bogged down by Japanese politics and cheating to get Sapp wins (I think it was the Kimo fight?) so this could actually be really big if they get some momentum behind it.

If FEG die that'll be the end of whatever tenuous grasp kickboxing has on casual awareness. If Showtime can pick up the slack though, it could be for the better within a few years. Less Sapp, Choi and Nortje, more European/Asian/African regional prospects having great fights and getting airtime. There will be a couple lean years in between but it'll turn out all right in the end I think!

And speaking of Showtime, they're airing another one of those €10 iPPVs I think December 11th potentially featuring Petrosyan (if his hand isn't broken) vs. Pajonsuk who's the #2 thai after Buakaw.

Well that cheered me right up! :)

...and damn, that Sapp/Kimo fight was a sorry, sorry mess. I can't even remember what was fishy about it off the top of my head....something along the lines of Sapp being done at the end of a round, then getting a five minute break for a doctor's check on a cut the size of a midget's eyelash.

Wasn't that the fight where he called out Tyson afterwards?

Tyson: "Sign the contract big boy!"

Sapp: "I'll sign it....IN BLOOD!!!!"

Why that man never had a successful US wrestling career is beyond me.

...and damn, that Sapp/Kimo fight was a sorry, sorry mess. I can't even remember what was fishy about it off the top of my head....something along the lines of Sapp being done at the end of a round, then getting a five minute break for a doctor's check on a cut the size of a midget's eyelash.

Punches to the back of the head, fishy counts, two totally illegitimate breaks to give Sapp time. Unsurprisingly they had Sapp's personal ref, Kakuda, pulling ref duty. If I'm not mistaken this is what got him banned from reffing in Nevada by the commission.

Sakuraba vs Akebono on NYE.

I don't think there is anything more that needs to be said about that.

Gracie Hunter vs. Gracie Hunted.

Also you can't bring up hilarious Japanese fights without talking about this:

Kazuhiro Nakamura will look to extend his winning streak to three fights in New Zealand where he will face Antz “Notorious” Nansen on December 11th in XPLOSION for the X-RULES title.

So the fight is not under normal MMA rules but under X-Rules. First round is 3 mins and under Kickboxing rules, second round is 4 mins under Kickboxing rules with throws, and the third round is 5 mins MMA rules (with 30 sec limit if it hits the ground).

One of the points I made was that Sengoku couldn't find a TV network to air the Ishii vs Yoshida fight, or a sponsor to foot the bill for it (hence why we got the Sengoku vs DREAM thing last NYE). Basically, their only option was to buy TV time like an infomercial...pretty much a death knell.

I learned this while listening to a MMAFighting's Podcast. A person named Shu Hirata basically said the TV stations have "smartened" up, and instead of them paying YOU to provide content, you pay THEM to allow to air.

That means, if you aren't something of a hot commodity already, you will have to pay to get on air unless they REALLY REALLY want you.

So are you people going to watch Hendo - Babalu or the TUF 12 (?) finale?

I'm thinking I'll watch Hendricks - Story and Maia - Grove before switching over and hopefully catching Hendo - Babalu. Thereby watching all the fights that actually mean anything!

Although since Strikeforce have had two fights canceled on that card (Walker - someone and the lesser Overeem - Bigfoot) they might pull some interesting fights out of their back pocket. Or we'll see Bigfoot - Chad Griggs and Wes Sims have a hardcore match with himself.

So are you people going to watch Hendo - Babalu or the TUF 12 (?) finale?

I'm thinking I'll watch Hendricks - Story and Maia - Grove before switching over and hopefully catching Hendo - Babalu. Thereby watching all the fights that actually mean anything!

Same plan. Will DVR both of course.

Record the TUF show and watch it the next day on TV and then the Strikeforce show on-line. I usually stay up to watch the UFC's live but there is nothing at all on the finale that has my interest and short of Lashley/Batista, Strikeforce don't look to ever have a fight worth staying up until 5am to watch live. Then again, if I can't sleep, I think Henderson/Babalu sounds like the perfect cure.

I learned this while listening to a MMAFighting's Podcast. A person named Shu Hirata basically said the TV stations have "smartened" up, and instead of them paying YOU to provide content, you pay THEM to allow to air.

That means, if you aren't something of a hot commodity already, you will have to pay to get on air unless they REALLY REALLY want you.

Shu is a good guy with his finger right on the pulse of MMA. He's also one of the few Japanese MMA 'insiders' with a realistic view of Japanese MMA and it's place in the grand scheme of things.

Regarding the above - It just goes to show how far Japanese MMA has fallen. When you consider that just five years ago, 50% of the TV-viewing public were watching MMA on NYE...the fact that the biggest MMA promotion in the country can't even get a slot now is insane.

So it's the last episode of TUF tomorrow (technically tonight I suppose) and there's two hours featuring two fights for our viewing pleasure before Saturday's live finale.

Who does everyone have winning the Semi's and the competition overall? And can anyone help me figure out why Bonnar vs Pokra-face is headlining a Spike TV card that has Kendal Grove vs Damian Maia on the undercard?

Anyway, predictions:

Maia - Submission, 2nd round, probably an armbar

Bonnar - Submission, 2nd round, probably a choke

Hendricks - TKO, 2nd round. Can't say enough good things about this guy.

I'm not giving a prediction for the TUF final, because I know who win's the semi's so it wouldn't be fair :-p

Oooh, and Strikeforce.

Babalu, decision

Lawler, KO, 1st round

Daley, decision - I made this prediction on the radio this weekend and people jumped all over it. It really depends on how the cut affects Smith's chin, but I can see him dragging Paul to an exciting decision. Plus, Daley's final preparations have been seriously messed up after he couldn't get on his flight to the states until yesterday.

St Preux, decision - I'm high on this kid - he fought two weeks ago on Challengers, but Radach is coming off a looong lay-off, some serious injuries and is a former welterweight fighting at 205. Can't bet on that.

Who does everyone have winning the Semi's and the competition overall? And can anyone help me figure out why Bonnar vs Pokra-face is headlining a Spike TV card that has Kendal Grove vs Damian Maia on the undercard?

Because it's Stephan Bonnar :D

Fairly sure he'll win as they'll have wanted a kind match up for him after clawing back his losing streak, not sure on Maia/Grove though I hope Maia loses just to get him away from the top of the division, and for TUF I'm thinking Brookins wins in a final against Nam Phan. And that's what I want as well, heh.

Bonnar is much more popular than Maia, especially after his dynamite victory speech at UFC 116 while Maia's killed off his heat with three boring fights and getting clowned twice in his last four fights.

Grove sneakily became a good fighter sometime between now and getting demolished by Cotê and Maia doesn't really have the weapons to exploit his chin. Grove doesn't have the best wrestling in the world and Maia's clinchwork is really good but I think Grove takes it by tepid kickboxing decision. And if Maia does get him down I really don't think he'll be tapped though he might give a round away.

Bonnar by TKO I guess. This is very much a gimme fight for Bonnar and he's going to blast Pokjarac all night.

Also Hendricks by TKO although Story is also a really good fighter.

Going with Babalu by decision as well. Kicks, takedowns and aggressive grappling. Hendo should've lost against a lot of people worse than Babalu.

Lawler by TKO.

Scott "MY HEAD IS SO HARD" Smith by KO. Body shots are the only patented way to beat Smith and Daley never throws those. We'll get a vintage Scott Smith performance of him headbutting fists for a while and then knocking Daley out.

Facesmash-Fu will lead Benji Radach to victory.

I haven't at all paid attention to TUF but the chilled out surfer dude who got beat by Aldo wins.

Bonnar is much more popular than Maia, especially after his dynamite victory speech at UFC 116 while Maia's killed off his heat with three boring fights and getting clowned twice in his last four fights.

Grove sneakily became a good fighter sometime between now and getting demolished by Cotê and Maia doesn't really have the weapons to exploit his chin. Grove doesn't have the best wrestling in the world and Maia's clinchwork is really good but I think Grove takes it by tepid kickboxing decision. And if Maia does get him down I really don't think he'll be tapped though he might give a round away.

Bonnar by TKO I guess. This is very much a gimme fight for Bonnar and he's going to blast Pokjarac all night.

Also Hendricks by TKO although Story is also a really good fighter.

Going with Babalu by decision as well. Kicks, takedowns and aggressive grappling. Hendo should've lost against a lot of people worse than Babalu.

Lawler by TKO.

Scott "MY HEAD IS SO HARD" Smith by KO. Body shots are the only patented way to beat Smith and Daley never throws those. We'll get a vintage Scott Smith performance of him headbutting fists for a while and then knocking Daley out.

Facesmash-Fu will lead Benji Radach to victory.

I haven't at all paid attention to TUF but the chilled out surfer dude who got beat by Aldo wins.

I agree with most of your predictions, except, I have to say this. No one predicted Rampage by decision in UFC 123. Heck, I thought Rampage getting submitted would have been likely than Rampage getting a DECISION victory. Anything can happen. Just my two-cents. ;)

I agree with most of your predictions, except, I have to say this. No one predicted Rampage by decision in UFC 123. Heck, I thought Rampage getting submitted would have been likely than Rampage getting a DECISION victory. Anything can happen. Just my two-cents. ;)

While this is absolutely true trying to impotently predict results in a sport where they frequently contradict all previous evidence is a lot of fun!

I'm not sure what my success rate for picks are but it's probably less than 50%.

Scott "MY HEAD IS SO HARD" Smith by KO. Body shots are the only patented way to beat Smith and Daley never throws those.

Ohhhh, he does. He's got a nasty left hook to the body that he throws, usually when he's backed a guy up on the cage/ropes, which is where Smith usually ends up in his fights.

I was front row when he finished this dude with it. Sounded sick. 6:20 for the beginning of the end, but the whole fight is pretty good.

EDIT: Also, I've head that Smith is having a bad cut. Could have an impact on his chin if it's really that bad. Daley was at 178 a couple of days ago, despite all the travel issues he's had this week.

Ohhhh, he does. He's got a nasty left hook to the body that he throws, usually when he's backed a guy up on the cage/ropes, which is where Smith usually ends up in his fights.

I was front row when he finished this dude with it. Sounded sick. 6:20 for the beginning of the end, but the whole fight is pretty good.

EDIT: Also, I've head that Smith is having a bad cut. Could have an impact on his chin if it's really that bad. Daley was at 178 a couple of days ago, despite all the travel issues he's had this week.

I dunno, he hasn't thrown those in a while, especially against decent competition. If Smith had a bad cut and Daley didn't (I was banking on the opposite because of the travel issues) then that might change the fight pretty drastically but I'm really not expecting Daley to finish Smith. See my previous post about being bad at picking fights though. This problem is magnified a thousandfold when it's a fight involving someone I like/dislike.