The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

Besides, who does Aldo have left right now? Not a whole lot of big names. Dana's choice is either to build up Aldo or move up Aldo. I don't think Dana wants to move up Aldo.

Didn't they already offer him a fight with Florian at 155? Before the roster merge. Now it's the UFC featherweight belt I would think long term they still expect him to move up but for the time being he's the man to build the division on the back of.

Watching the 129 Q&A, man Jones is just so natural on the mic. Not news of course, but it's just incredible when he's up there compared ot the other champs lol. Weird how they're talking as though he's still nailed on to fight Rashad without mention of the Davis fight.

Didn't they already offer him a fight with Florian at 155? Before the roster merge. Now it's the UFC featherweight belt I would think long term they still expect him to move up but for the time being he's the man to build the division on the back of.

Watching the 129 Q&A, man Jones is just so natural on the mic. Not news of course, but it's just incredible when he's up there compared ot the other champs lol. Weird how they're talking as though he's still nailed on to fight Rashad without mention of the Davis fight.

Nah, I don't think they wanted to move him up. His camp was talking about it, and then they offered Ken flo. Then they decided against it. I have no idea what happened.

Nah, I don't think they wanted to move him up. His camp was talking about it, and then they offered Ken flo. Then they decided against it. I have no idea what happened.

Basically Aldo was game for moving up to fight in the UFC, before the two brands merged. They broached the subject with the UFC prior to the Faber fight, on the grounds that beating the WEC poster-boy Faber would boost Aldo's popularity, and effectivly clean out the division. He wanted to get paid and the UFC was the way to go, even though he wasn't hell-bent on moving to 155.

This was about a year ago, before BJ Penn had lost to Frankie Edgar for the first time. From what I've heard, the UFC weren't really banking on Edgar beating Penn; the plan was to move Aldo up for a superfight with BJ later in the year, possibly in the UK. The idea there was that the event would be on Spike TV, so they wouldn't have to worry about Aldo as a PPV draw, and a lot more people would see him fight.

Anyway, Penn loses a close fight to Edgar and the UFC want an immidiate rematch. They tell Aldo's people to take another fight, by which time the plans to merge brands are already underway. Now Aldo gets to stay at 145 for a bit and fight in the UFC. Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

KenFlo will be the best guy Aldo's ever fought but I'm reserving judgement until I see how he looks after his cut against Diego Nunes.

Speaking of Diegos, Sanchez is fighting Hughes at some event sometime. Hope Diego wins but realistically he's going to get taken down and beat up a bunch.

I think the days of Hughes grounding and pounding his way to victory are long over. I think his best chance at winning, not just this fight but any fight against a tough guy to put away and a quality fighter, is to hope for a mistake and to capitalize on it. I think a more realistic outcome for Sanchez/Hughes is for Hughes to get picked apart standing up and beaten by TKO.

I think the days of Hughes grounding and pounding his way to victory are long over. I think his best chance at winning, not just this fight but any fight against a tough guy to put away and a quality fighter, is to hope for a mistake and to capitalize on it. I think a more realistic outcome for Sanchez/Hughes is for Hughes to get picked apart standing up and beaten by TKO.

Hughes has been passed by as a top level fighter but he's still good, and more specifically he's still very good at wrestling, a big welterweight and has a violent top game.

Sanchez is a lightweight and a fairly mediocre wrestler. He might take the last round if he's still got gas but I think Hughes picks up a pretty clear cut UD.

Disappointed with Aldo's BJJ, barely tried to pass his guard. Sick fight though, warrior spirit from Hominick. Judge who scored it 50-43...not even funny. The idea he got the scores the wrong way on the final round seems most reasonable.

edit; Ah, Buffer read it wrong LOL

I've got every fight on the card so far apart from the Brilz/Matyushenko fight, must be my lucky night. Got GSP in the main by absolute spanking.

Actually, I got ALL my picks right... didn't make any facebook prelim picks.

Okay, I don't want to see GSP/Silva anymore. Anything Jake Shields can draw blood from, Anderson can kill.

It depends. GSP is a smart fighter. If GSP can take it the ground, he will win. If he can't... then you are probably right.

Absolutely, it's just...I dunno. It's weird. I kind of feel like GSP is fighting with too much to lose, not taking any risks. It was understandable with the eye last night but it's a clear pattern now and with the fact that he's always fighting on home turf, all the attention and the pressure, maybe he needs a loss so he can come out firing again like he did after the Serra KO. Would love to see him fight Diaz...he couldn't afford to show as much respect to his ground game as he did to Shields, would have to take it to him more.

Absolutely, it's just...I dunno. It's weird. I kind of feel like GSP is fighting with too much to lose, not taking any risks. It was understandable with the eye last night but it's a clear pattern now and with the fact that he's always fighting on home turf, all the attention and the pressure, maybe he needs a loss so he can come out firing again like he did after the Serra KO. Would love to see him fight Diaz...he couldn't afford to show as much respect to his ground game as he did to Shields, would have to take it to him more.

Losing won't help. It's BECAUSE he lost , that's why he fights the way he does. To be hoenst, I'm not so sure about his physical toughness anymore... the guy is great at avoiding damage, but he doesn't seem to be great ta taking it.