The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

If Einemo had fought Carwin they'd still be scraping his remains from the canvas.

I think it would have been worst. First round TKO or KO from Carwin, where ever Carwin wanted it.

Edit: Wow, KenFlo vs Nunes... not so good.

Edit 2: That Santos vs. Carwin fight wasn't so good either. The Undercard rocks, the co-main and main event wasn't so good, only so-so.

JDS's boxing is a thing of beauty. Though I feel like that first round was more severe than Carwin vs. Lesnar. He wasn't even moving. And stuff like that surely seems to negate the whole MMA vs. boxing safety point about guys not getting another chance when they've taken a huge blow.

Love how he went for takedowns at the end as well. I'd give him the edge over Cain at this point although stamina may become an issue. Either way I am so hyped for that fight, could be a classic, the best looking HW fight since I've been watching for sure.

JDS's boxing is a thing of beauty. Though I feel like that first round was more severe than Carwin vs. Lesnar. He wasn't even moving. And stuff like that surely seems to negate the whole MMA vs. boxing safety point about guys not getting another chance when they've taken a huge blow.

Love how he went for takedowns at the end as well. I'd give him the edge over Cain at this point although stamina may become an issue. Either way I am so hyped for that fight, could be a classic, the best looking HW fight since I've been watching for sure.

We'll see. Cain has a huge lay-off. In any case, the other two Heavyweight fights tonight were better.

Well, Carwin got JDS to the ground but couldn't do a thing with it, so that blew away the theory that Carwin getting it to the ground meant a likely win. Carwin showed a lot of heart and he can take a hit but that's all he showed and my prediction that he wouldn't provided much of a challenge was correct. That said, JDS couldn't finish Carwin off, even though Carwin was running on fumes, and for me that makes Velasquez a little bit more the favourite in their title fight. It should be an exciting fight and right now I'm picking Velasquez by TKO.

Not a stellar night but far better than UFC 130.

We'll see. Cain has a huge lay-off. In any case, the other two Heavyweight fights tonight were better.

I disagree. The two slugfests were enjoyable for what they were but seeing JDS just pick Carwin apart, he's on another level. Really enjoyed it, had it been stopped in the first round it would've been huge but even so JDS maintained it and went the full three again.

I enjoyed Kenny/Nunes as well, Florian looked fairly good at 145, he's still not an elite level fighter but cardio wise he was fine, certainly wasn't a bad fight. Really enjoyed the event overall.

Also feel like last night was a good example of the case for three rounds over five. Two more and Carwin's cut might have got worse and he could have got seriously hurt, then nobody would be praising Herb Dean. Sometimes, especially with heavyweights, three rounds tell you all you need to know.

Well, Carwin got JDS to the ground but couldn't do a thing with it, so that blew away the theory that Carwin getting it to the ground meant a likely win. Carwin showed a lot of heart and he can take a hit but that's all he showed and my prediction that he wouldn't provided much of a challenge was correct. That said, JDS couldn't finish Carwin off, even though Carwin was running on fumes, and for me that makes Velasquez a little bit more the favourite in their title fight. It should be an exciting fight and right now I'm picking Velasquez by TKO.

Not a stellar night but far better than UFC 130.

If you referring to what I was saying, I did imply that if Carwin couldn't keep him there, it wouldn't mean much. Takedowns without top control isn't very useful. Also... interestingly enough, the oddsmakers have JDS a slight favorite over Velasquez. I think that's wrong, but Velasquez is having a long layoff AND he hadn't and/or hasn't been able to train like he wants to, because of Doctor's Orders. It's not the long layoff that concerns me, it's that AND he hadn't and/or hasnt' been able to train.

As a spectacle, the earlier Heavyweight fights were superior. But for the quality of the fighting involved, the main event outshone them easily.

I disagree. The two slugfests were enjoyable for what they were but seeing JDS just pick Carwin apart, he's on another level. Really enjoyed it, had it been stopped in the first round it would've been huge but even so JDS maintained it and went the full three again.

I enjoyed Kenny/Nunes as well, Florian looked fairly good at 145, he's still not an elite level fighter but cardio wise he was fine, certainly wasn't a bad fight. Really enjoyed the event overall.

I'm not a big fan of one-sided fights. There's not a whole lot of action for a single fight as a whole. To be fair, I think both of them were tired after the first round, and Herb Dean could, but didn't, stop it in the first. Not criticizing him, because it was within his judgment. Considering what he did in the Ring/Head fight, I think it wasn't out of reason for him to do so.

As Ken-Flo, we'll see. His real issue is wrestling and/or strength, and not his other skills. I think his stand-up and his BJJ is fine. It's his wrestling and strength, that's where he's weakest at. His weight and size aren't an issue. That being said, he is 34, so he is what he is.

Also feel like last night was a good example of the case for three rounds over five. Two more and Carwin's cut might have got worse and he could have got seriously hurt, then nobody would be praising Herb Dean. Sometimes, especially with heavyweights, three rounds tell you all you need to know.

Especially since a lot of Heavyweights don't have the cardio to do go five rounds.

Again prelims seems to be more interesting then the actual maincard fights. But this is not problematic. The show wasn't bad spectacle-wise. And it wasn't bad technically. But it was far from awesome, with almost no stoppages.

Indeed, thank god this event was without 5-rounders.

I think it's just going to be how it is. For fighters in the undercard, they are sometimes fighting for their job and/or to get a bigger payday. Therefore, there are more incentives to "bring it", so to speak. Some of them might even be willing to take risks by doing more exciting fights. For fighters that have name recognition, you want to win, first and foremost, to get to the title shot.

Marquardt vs. Story should be a good fight but Story coming back so soon after the Alves fight could spell bad news; he was in a real dogfight in the third round and the first two were no walk in the park as it was. If his body hasn't had the time it needs to recover, then he could be in for a rough time. It would make a Story victory all the more memorable and would all but assure him of a title shot at the winner of GSP/Diaz. Providing, of course, he's well rounded enough, because you have to be to face GSP you know, regardless of your record.

On the prelims of that show, Tyson Griffin and Joe Stevenson are in must-win fights because losses for either man would make it four losses in a row and UFC tend to cut people with records like that.

The main card of UFC 132 looks stacked; Cruz/Faber should be an all-action war, Silva/Leben promises to be a slugfest, and Ortiz/Bader will likely see Bader rehabbed from the Jones loss as he sends Ortiz into the unemployment line. Although that last one depends on Ortiz not finding another injury that just happens to require him to pull out of the fight.

All that plus the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix to come mean that, while UFC 131 was a bit of disappointment, there is so much potential greatness on the horizon that you don't have time to let it get you down too much.

Marquardt vs. Story should be a good fight but Story coming back so soon after the Alves fight could spell bad news; he was in a real dogfight in the third round and the first two were no walk in the park as it was. If his body hasn't had the time it needs to recover, then he could be in for a rough time. It would make a Story victory all the more memorable and would all but assure him of a title shot at the winner of GSP/Diaz. Providing, of course, he's well rounded enough, because you have to be to face GSP you know, regardless of your record.

I don't think that's the only concern. Remember, Marquardt is...well, was, a Big Middleweight. Will he look like Jason "Mayhem" Miller, or, worse, look Anthony "Rumble" Johnson when he moves down to Middleweight? Rick Story might pull it off.

Firstly, I want to apologise to Adam/GDS and everybody else if my language offended anyone on Saturday night. One too many glasses of Perry at the summer fair unfortunately lads. My mother would be (even more) ashamed of me. Also, I want to specifically apologise to Amp, for taking the brunt of it. So yeah, stand on me. Moral of the story: Don't go pint for pint with a man literally twice your size. Or do, just don't go on the internet afterwards :-p No excuses though, I was a douche bag. Sorry.

Anywhoo...

If UFC 131 proved anything to me, it's that giving the judges monitors is not the solution to the judging problem. I'm sure it was just a coincidence, but I love the irony of everyone clamouring for monitors, and when we finally get them we see some of the worst overall judging of an event in recent memory.

Also, does anyone get there feeling that there will be some major upsets this weekend? Is Werdum beating Reem even an upset?

If UFC 131 proved anything to me, it's that giving the judges monitors is not the solution to the judging problem. I'm sure it was just a coincidence, but I love the irony of everyone clamouring for monitors, and when we finally get them we see some of the worst overall judging of an event in recent memory.

Also, does anyone get there feeling that there will be some major upsets this weekend? Is Werdum beating Reem even an upset?

Can't say I was offended...

Just as bad as the monitors being used was that all of the judges were former fighters. So two primary "fix it" theories for judging just went out the window...

I think they only people who think Werdum has "no chance" are those drinking the Uber-reem cool-aid. Helluva fighter but he still has a lot of prove in MMA.

Just as bad as the monitors being used was that all of the judges were former fighters. So two primary "fix it" theories for judging just went out the window...

I've never really been in favour of fighters judging. In my experience they're not the most impartial bunch of people out there, especially the older generation who often have a strong bias towards one style.

I think they only people who think Werdum has "no chance" are those drinking the Uber-reem cool-aid. Helluva fighter but he still has a lot of prove in MMA.

I've got a foot on both sides of the fence with this one. I absolutely think that Overeem is legit....but he's yet to prove it against a top 10 heavyweight. If he beats Werdum decisively, then more power to him.

I've got a foot on both sides of the fence with this one. I absolutely think that Overeem is legit....but he's yet to prove it against a top 10 heavyweight. If he beats Werdum decisively, then more power to him.

I do think Overreem is legit, in the sense that he is a monsterous heavyweight with elite-level striking skills (an absolute rarity in MMA). I believe he is certainly a top ten talent and probably in the top few spots at HW... but yeah, some top level wins would certainly cement that.

Just don't like those who proclaim him the greatest heavyweight in history and completely unbeatable. Not so much on here, but elsewhere, I do see that. It reminds me of the Brock hype. Overreem has the size and skillset to bulldoze through almost anyone... but there is no such thing as unbeatable in MMA.

I expect him to beat Werdum... but I don't think it would be an absolute shock if Werdum managed to find a way to win.

Firstly, I want to apologise to Adam/GDS and everybody else if my language offended anyone on Saturday night. One too many glasses of Perry at the summer fair unfortunately lads. My mother would be (even more) ashamed of me. Also, I want to specifically apologise to Amp, for taking the brunt of it. So yeah, stand on me. Moral of the story: Don't go pint for pint with a man literally twice your size. Or do, just don't go on the internet afterwards :-p No excuses though, I was a douche bag. Sorry.

I don't think you offended anybody; I considered it light-hearted banter more then anything.

Werdum beating Overeem would not be an upset.Werdum knocking Overeem out? That would be an upset finish. I think Werdum is great on the ground but so-so standing up while Overeem is great standing up but so-so on the ground, and the outcome rests on where the fight goes. And considering Overeem doesn't have the best takedown defence, the fight is probably going to the ground, so unless Overeem lands hard and early, I'm calling Werdum to win by submission.

Anywhoo...

I don't think you offended anybody; I considered it light-hearted banter more then anything.

Just to agree with Fant for once (:p), no, I wasn't offended. :)

But on judging.... Omigawa may not have clearly won EACH round in some people's eyes, but he cleary won the WHOLE fight. If you look at the fight as whole, It's hard to say he didn't win.

But Darren Elkin's threw more punches. That's how they saw it. Even if they didn't land. Or even the ones that did land, it didn't look they did much. In fact, Omigawa got Elkins timing down by the secound round, and Elkins landed less and less. Omigawa's punches landed more often, and when he actually hit Elkins... it was damaging. Omigawa might have been a bit tentative in the first round, and him having his hands down in the first round might got his face punched a bit more, but he wasn' ever in any danger of being on the feet. Darren Elkin's gameplan was to move around a lot, but he didn't use any head movement, and when he attacked Omigawa, he was moving straight. No wonder he got hit.

Werdum beating Overeem would not be an upset.Werdum knocking Overeem out? That would be an upset finish. I think Werdum is great on the ground but so-so standing up while Overeem is great standing up but so-so on the ground, and the outcome rests on where the fight goes. And considering Overeem doesn't have the best takedown defence, the fight is probably going to the ground, so unless Overeem lands hard and early, I'm calling Werdum to win by submission.

I think the real issue comes down to Overeems takedown defense, and Werdum's wrestling. Is Overeem good enough to keep it on the feet? Is Werdum's wrestling good enough to get it ground? Whoever has it the area where they are best at, will likely win the fight. Of course, people say Overeem's ground game has improved, but who knows? And Werdum's stand-up isn't so bad... just not the level of Overeems.

Crazy Overeem fact: He won the ADCC European qualifiers once. Submitted all four guys with a guillotine choke. Not that that means anything in MMA 6 years later, but meh :-p

I think if it does go to the ground then he should have the skill/strength to at least neutralise Werdum in the early going. I'll be very, very interested to see how he does in the grappling department if this thing goes into the second round though...the last time he got out of the first was 2007, and although he did 12 and a half mins in the WGP, grappling is a different thing entirely when it comes to cardio. I'm wondering how those big muscles of his will hold up as the fight wears on.

Someon said he beat cans in that tournament, though. I can't even recall who said that, though. What's your knowledge on the tournament itself? Did he beat anyone that was serious grappler in that tournament? The thing is, this will be a test of his takedown defense, his scrambling and ground escapes. There's no reason for him to be on his back if he can back up.

I wonder how Werdum is doing, though. When he faced Junior Dos Santos, he got KTFO, and was way out of shape.