The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

Werdum to deliberately get dropped and win by triangle :o

Seriously hope for good things from Overeem though. I've never watched him fight live before but I've watched a bit of The Reem and he just seems like a very cool guy, easy to get behind and would make for some huge matches if he moved to UFC.

About the non-title 5-round main events. It actually occured to me that in my GAMMA game, I've been doing it for weeks now and it works wonders. It's just logical that a show closes with a 5-round bout. It's not extraordinary because title fights are 5 rounds anyways and I can't help but feel disappointed if a show doesn't close with a decisive win due to stoppage. This heightens those odds. But enough about that: looking forward to the semi finals of Strikeforce. I haven't been this eager to watch MMA since GSP vs Shields.

It depends. If it's Heavyweights or people with bad cardio, then it just prolongs the inevitable.

That being said, I think the real issue is the scoring and judging, followed by the judges themselves, that are the main issue, not the number rounds, are the main issue. The small number of rounds does contribute to the problem, it's minor compared to judges and the judging/scoring system.

It depends. If it's Heavyweights or people with bad cardio, then it just prolongs the inevitable.

For me, if you're in the UFC main event scene, you're getting paid enough to sort out you strength and conditioning programme. If Tony Lopez and Mike Kyle can slug it out for five rounds in King of the Cage for a few grand each, someone like Quinton Jackson, who makes millions per fight, has no excuse.

I'm hoping that the increased pay for guys in main events will eventually lead to more top-tier guys getting their cardio sorted.

Someon said he beat cans in that tournament, though. I can't even recall who said that, though. What's your knowledge on the tournament itself? Did he beat anyone that was serious grappler in that tournament?

In a word...no :-p He didn't use his qualifying slot to enter the ADCC itself because he had commitments in Pride, but it's highly doubtful he would have taken the plunge anyway. He essentially took the qualifiers by virtue of the fact that he was one of the very few full time paid athletes involved.

I wonder how Werdum is doing, though. When he faced Junior Dos Santos, he got KTFO, and was way out of shape.

I can't remember for sure, but I seem to recall around the time of that fight him giving an interview where he said that he'd intentionally put on weight for that fight. I guess he can chalk that one up to experience... :-p

For me, if you're in the UFC main event scene, you're getting paid enough to sort out you strength and conditioning programme. If Tony Lopez and Mike Kyle can slug it out for five rounds in King of the Cage for a few grand each, someone like Quinton Jackson, who makes millions per fight, has no excuse.

I'm hoping that the increased pay for guys in main events will eventually lead to more top-tier guys getting their cardio sorted.

I'm not talking about Light-Heavyweights. I'm talking about Heavyweights. I would say the athletic quality is pretty good in weight divisions, except Heavyweight. And that will remain the case for the time being, considering Football takes almost all the best 240+ pounders.

I think Werdum beating Overeem would be a mild upset just because of how their styles match up. Both guys have gotten significantly better since their first fight but Alistair absolutely dominated the first round of that and now that he's an actual heavyweight with a significantly sharpened offensive output I think he'll just end up smashing Werdum with an overhand right or something.

And honestly Werdum's best chance in this fight is probably to go balls out charging in with strikes because as good as Alistair is offensively he's still got a shaky chin and doesn't react well under pressure. If he goes for takedowns he'll have to shoot from way outside and if he can't get close to work some trips his wrestling is really, really shoddy.

I wonder how's Werdum's wrestling is. If Werdum's wrestling has gotten better, then Overeem is in big trouble. But when I think of Overeem/Werdum, I think of JDS/Werdum. Overeem might just pounce on Werdum and punch him in the face repeatedly. But I'm not discounting Werdum. It's just that, his stand-up is nowhere near Overeem's, and his wrestling may not good enough to put Overeem down.

I think Werdum beating Overeem would be a mild upset just because of how their styles match up. Both guys have gotten significantly better since their first fight but Alistair absolutely dominated the first round of that and now that he's an actual heavyweight with a significantly sharpened offensive output I think he'll just end up smashing Werdum with an overhand right or something.

And honestly Werdum's best chance in this fight is probably to go balls out charging in with strikes because as good as Alistair is offensively he's still got a shaky chin and doesn't react well under pressure. If he goes for takedowns he'll have to shoot from way outside and if he can't get close to work some trips his wrestling is really, really shoddy.

Also remember Werdums chin isn't that good as well. I think he will beat Werdum as well, pretty easily. Maybe he will go for a flying triangle or something.

I'm not talking about Light-Heavyweights. I'm talking about Heavyweights.

It depends. If it's Heavyweights or people with bad cardio

:)

I would say the athletic quality is pretty good in weight divisions, except Heavyweight. And that will remain the case for the time being, considering Football takes almost all the best 240+ pounders.

In this day and age it shouldn't make a difference. Shane Carwin is the perfect example; a year ago he couldn't go more than five minutes, last weekend he did three rounds of getting his ass kicked and still came forward. If you have the money and resources available, you can fix the problem.

It's not necessarily an athletics issue either. Years ago there was a big, fat Hawaiian super heavyweight called Eric Pele, who was renowned for his cardio. His entire S&C regime was "Exercise and eat right".

Going back to my original point, athlete or not, heavyweight or featherweight, if you're making UFC main event money then you can afford to sort your S&C out to go five rounds.

I agree that Overeem will probably win, but I'm not sure how bad or good Werdum's chin is, but I'm pretty sure that Overeem's striking will make short work of him if Overeem keeps it standing. It's not like Werdum's striking defense is so hot either.

:)

In this day and age it shouldn't make a difference. Shane Carwin is the perfect example; a year ago he couldn't go more than five minutes, last weekend he did three rounds of getting his ass kicked and still came forward. If you have the money and resources available, you can fix the problem.

It's not necessarily an athletics issue either. Years ago there was a big, fat Hawaiian super heavyweight called Eric Pele, who was renowned for his cardio. His entire S&C regime was "Exercise and eat right".

Going back to my original point, athlete or not, heavyweight or featherweight, if you're making UFC main event money then you can afford to sort your S&C out to go five rounds.

Far enough, BH, but I don't think Rampage's cardio is all that suspect. It's not great, but it wasn't the worse. But more on point, I don't there's enough Heavyweights that have serious cardio like the lower weight classes do, either because they use up more energy, or they don't have the gas tank as the lower weight classes do. I'm not complaining, I'm just saying these seems to be rather the usual case.

Edit: Had a weird type at the end. Sorry. Don't know how I ended up having weird gibberish and followed by "butts" at the end.

Actually, I have sleep deprivation. :p But we are getting off topic..

Also, I want to note, I don't disagree with you in principle. I agree... Heavyweights should do that. What I question is, are they REALLY able to be at the equivalent athletic level as other weight classes are? I doubt that.

Werdum's chin is pretty good, not Nogueira-level by any stretch, but he recovers really quickly. Unless you do what JDS did and put his lights out completely he can get back into the fight in, like, seconds after you hurt him.

He has only been KOed once, ever in his official record. All his other losses are by unaminous decision. A lot of those losses are against tough opponents, too. Now looking it over, he has some KO/TKO wins as well.

What do you guys think of Fabricio Werdum's GnP?

Josh Barnett showing he knows his Dusty Rhodes:

"I've been sitting on the sidelines, sitting there watching everybody go out and fight. Hard times have been on Josh Barnett. Dealing with athletic commissions. Everybody saying, 'You did this, and you did that. You're the problem for this.' That's hard times. Hard times for my family. Hard times for my friends. Hard times by me. Hard times not being able to get a fight. Hard times is the company, waking up one day, is saying they've been sold out to your competitor! Not knowing what the hell you're going to do. Where's my contract at? Where's my money? Where's my security? Who says I'm going to get that shot now? Having that on your mind? That's hard times.

"And then you get this big old Brett Rogers in front of you. He thinks he knows what's tough. He thinks he's going to make a name off of my head. So I've got to get up every morning, break of dawn. I've got to get those running shoes on. I've got to hit that concrete; I've got to get those miles under my feet. My knees are aching, my body is sore. I've got guys like 'Hammer' beating on me every single day. I've got body breaking down, my mind getting pushed, feeling the effects of 14 years of fighting – feeling the effects of trying to put yourself in the best condition you can be in. Waking up every day having to deal with that? That's what hard times is about.

"I'm going to tell you what Brett Rogers. Come Saturday, American Airlines Arena? I'm going to give you a lesson in hard times. I'm going to take all that anguish, all that pain, everything that I have been through, everything all my family has been through, everything all my coaches have been through – I'm going to put that on you, Brett Rogers. I'm going to show you exactly what hard times is about. Who wants to see that? Not you, Brett Rogers. You do not want to see that."

Josh is a massive, massive pro-wrestling fan. Why he never ended up in the WWF after he was stripped of the UFC title, I'll never know. He's got the look, he's got the patter. He could have been a modern day Ken Shamrock, but..y'know...big...and good :-p

He lacks one major thing; a good physique. Even on the gas and whatever else, Barnett just cannot get a decent body.

There's also the fact that Barnett very publicly failed a test for steroids. It wouldn't exactly have been good for the image if WWE went ahead and hired a man who was stripped of a major championship and effectively fired because he was caught using steroids. I imagine that's why he went to Japan instead.