The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

You know, there's one thing I disagree with you on-Tito's Ortiz's situation is different from Ken Shamrock. Shamrock was getting smashed by guys that, if he were in his prime, he would never lose against. The same can't be said for Tito-he hasn't lost to anyone he shouldn't have lost to, even if he was healthier and in his prime. He would have still lose to the same guys. They are just too good for him.

In Ken's case, I think his "professional wrestling" days really screwed him up. The insane road schedule plus the drug use of pro wrestling messed him up long term.

You know, there's one thing I disagree with you on-Tito's Ortiz's situation is different from Ken Shamrock. Shamrock was getting smashed by guys that, if he were in his prime, he would never lose against. The same can't be said for Tito-he hasn't lost to anyone he shouldn't have lost to, even if he was healthier and in his prime. He would have still lose to the same guys. They are just too good for him.

Well yeah, but that wasn't the comparison I made. The Shamrock comparison was based on a few things:

-They both went on to be the poster child of their generation after being humbled by 'better' fighters in the cage (Gracie for Ken and Frank Shamrock for Tito)

-They both opted to high-tail it to B-movies/wrestling in the prime of their careers/popularity in the face of stiffer competition (Coleman/Frye for Ken and Liddell for Ortiz).

-They were both damaged goods when they returned to fighting.

-They both opted to continue taking losses to more capable fighters instead of calling it quits, tarnishing their legacy in the process. (Franklin and the second two Tito fights for Ken, Machida, Forrest and Hamill for Tito).

In fact I think I specifically mentioned that with regards to opponents, Tito's fall from grace was much slower and less humiliating than Ken's. The point of that particular parallel wasn't to make a direct comparison of the relative quality of their opponents. The fact is this: People would have fonder memories of both had Tito retired after the Machida fight and Ken after the first Tito fight.

In fact I think I specifically mentioned that with regards to opponents, Tito's fall from grace was much slower and less humiliating than Ken's. The point of that particular parallel wasn't to make a direct comparison of the relative quality of their opponents. The fact is this: People would have fonder memories of both had Tito retired after the Machida fight and Ken after the first Tito fight.

You can't throw out quality of opponents when talking about this. Tito hadn't won in close to half a decade prior to the Bader fight, but he also hadn't been completely waxed over by his opponents, all of whom were either in the top 5 or 10 of the division at the time of those matches.

Tito's "legacy" is fine, just as Matt Hughes's is, just as Fedor's is, just as Big Nog's is, Liddell's, Cro Cop's, and so on and so forth.

In other news, Dan Miller's playing injury replacement fighter again, and will be stepping in against Palhares at 134 for Ferreira.

Really funny interview. I like Chael talking all this smack in the build up to a fight but I always want to see him get creamed in the cage. I don't dislike the guy, I just want to hear what his excuse will be and how he will turn it into a positive.

He knew what he was doing. Maybe he will regret some of his exact words, but his intent ws pretty clear-he was saying what he was saying to us-because we will just look right past it and know it's BS.

What hes' really tring to do is piss Brazilians off. They might know what he say is absolute BS, but they aren't going to let it slide. :p

Sonnen is an entertaining talker, but it gets tiresome if he can't back it up. If he doesn't win at least one of his next two fights, and if he gets past Stann it looks likely he'll face Silva/Okami, then I'm going to just skip over whatever he has to say.

Does that include winning a fight until a man wraps his legs around his neck, which does not count as winning? :cool:

When I heard him imply that LHW was a bad or a worse division (compared to what?) I pretty much shut off taking anything he was saying in the interview.

Omg you miss where he told that The Nogueria brother saw a bus and thought it was a horse and tried to pet it and feed it, he swears it true.. lol