The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

For any UK fans that haven't heard, UFC on Versus 5 will not be on ESPN this weekend as per usual.

It will however air live and free on UFC.tv, with free ondemand instant replay available all week. It's possibly going to be shown on FIVE later in the week as well.

This issue is that the 'Versus' and 'Prelims Live' shows did not exist when ESPN signed their deal with the UFC a few years back. ESPN have been licencing these shows on a per event basis since, and chose not to licence this one. Either they offered too little, or the UFC asked too much.

Golden Glory are now saying they're willing to have Overeem sign an exclusive deal with the UFC and have Overeem paid directly. It took them a while to figure out they made a mistake but we'll see if it's enough. I imagine UFC will wind up offering Overeem a deal but not for as much as they might have offered before.

When they negotiated with Dan Henderson a few years back, he told them that he was going to see what Strikeforce offered him. Dana said fine, but when you come back to us there will be X amount knocked off our offer, and we'll tell Strikeforce how much we're offering. If you then go back to Strikeforce, and come back to us again, well shave another X amount off the offer.

That's how they do business with people who think they're worth more than they are, or people who muck them about. I'd say there's a slim-to-none chance of Overeem getting a comparable offer to what was originally on the table. UFC holds all the cards.

A friend of mine has a spare ticket for BAMMA 7 if anyone is interested? She was gonna go with her boyfriend, but they split up and he gave her the tickets.

It's in the lower tier, row E. She doesn't want any money for it, but you would have to sit and talk to her for the duration, lol. Anyone interested, shoot me a PM and I'll hook you up.

Also, for any Twitter fiends out there, if you #FF (Follow Friday) @BAMMAUK today, they'll put you in a draw for a set of VIP tickets.

Cerrone is expected to win by most but Oliveira won't be easy to beat; he was giving Jim Miller a damn good fight before he got careless and virtually let Miller put him in that kneebar. Miller/Henderson could go either way but I'm picking Miller to grind out a decision win and earn a shot at Edgar/Maynard. Lytle could give Hardy fits because he can outbang Hardy standing up and he is very dangerous on the ground. I want Lytle to win and I'd be thrilled with a submission victory but I'll settle for a KO.

If Hardy loses tonight, then I expect him to get cut.

Chris Lytle has announced this will be his last fight. It'll drive Hardy really nuts if he loses to Lytle now because he'll never be able to avenge it.

Man this really does have the makings of an amazing fight. Final fight of his career vs. man who has to win (or IMO lose in exciting fashion) to save his job. I can definitely visualise Hardy boxing his way to a decision in a big anti-climax, or Lytle winning a decision in an absolute war.

Really looking forward to Miller/Henderson...have warmed to Miller a lot lately. And Oliveira has been a must watch for me since the Escudero fight, hope he pulls it off.

edit: Davis vs. Machida in the works apparently. Bet he wishes he fought Rashad.

Jason Reinhardt performed terribly. Last time he was caught, this time he was beaten pretty badly. Jacob Volkmann is a good grappler, but Danny Castillo has extremely good submission defense and is extremely tough. Cole Miller has submission skills... needs to have more confidence in his hands. Said he broke his right hand, though. Carcares is too excitable. Markes dominated Vermola.

Apparently Shawn Tompkins passed away :(

@MikeStraka Mike Straka

Guys, it is with great sadness that I report the passing of our great friend & trainer Shawn Tompkins. Details developing. Autopsy pending.

45 seconds ago

:o what?!!!!!!!! Just checked mmajunkie.com and it seems true, r.I.p. Shawn Tompkins.

I interviewed him this morning. He said he's actually not interested, and would only do it if the UFC approached him with a big fight at 125. He said he feels that dropping a division before you win a belt is taking the easy way out.

Good attitude IMO. Super nice guy as well.

I would love to see him against Benavidez. Doesn't matter where. I'd love to see how they do agaisnt guys their own size.

Edit: Bendo whooped Miller.

HAHAHAHA Hardy shoots for a takedown in the last minute and gets immediately subbed. Hilarious, he goes out not only having been bettered with what he wanted but also goes against everything he allegedly stood for. I never want to see him and his weirdly short arms fight again. Lytle meanwhile is an absolute hero.

HAHAHAHA Hardy shoots for a takedown in the last minute and gets immediately subbed. Hilarious, he goes out not only having been bettered with what he wanted but also goes against everything he allegedly stood for. I never want to see him and his weirdly short arms fight again. Lytle meanwhile is an absolute hero.

Don't you have pride for your fellow Englisman? Or do you just reserve that Bisping and Daley? ;) (joke) In any case, Hardy looked tentative the whole fight. He looked like he was afraid of getting KOed, even though Lytle's record of KOing people isn't that high. In fact, Lytle has won more finished fights through submission way more than KOing people.

'Limited' is how I'd describe Dan Hardy at the moment.

Lorenzo Fertitta just tweeted that they're not going to cut Dan Hardy. Wonder if we'll see him on 138.

It's very likely that this has less to do with Lorenzo liking "guys who WAR!!!" as he put it, and more to do with them not wanting Hardy on BAMMA or Bellator.