The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

Possible but not likely. Could well end up on Sky, Five or UFC.tv for now

My guess would be Premier Sports, considering they picked up the last UFC on Versus event. That said, I think ESPN will probably pony up the money for the license for this one. It's only one hour and it's major deal for the UFC so declining to air it might not put them in good stead with the UFC.

As for the main event for the FOX debut, they probably wanted the biggest fight they could get for the debut and from that perspective, moving Cain/JDS is a no-brainer. But it raises the question of what main events 139? Maybe move Condit/Penn up a few weeks?

My guess would be Premier Sports, considering they picked up the last UFC on Versus event. That said, I think ESPN will probably pony up the money for the license for this one. It's only one hour and it's major deal for the UFC so declining to air it might not put them in good stead with the UFC.

As for the main event for the FOX debut, they probably wanted the biggest fight they could get for the debut and from that perspective, moving Cain/JDS is a no-brainer. But it raises the question of what main events 139? Maybe move Condit/Penn up a few weeks?

Dana pretty much confirmed that they'll be off ESPN in the UK as soon as the deal runs out in August next year. He said something along the lines of "When the deal runs out, we want to be with Fox" which means Sky in the UK. So don't expect ESPN to be doing them any favours etc from now on.

As for 139, Condit vs Penn is staying where it is. Don't really know much more than that.

Also, Dana just killed the rumour of Brock retiring. He's definitely coming back, and is up working on a farm in Canada all winter getting his fitness right.

Dana pretty much confirmed that they'll be off ESPN in the UK as soon as the deal runs out in August next year. He said something along the lines of "When the deal runs out, we want to be with Fox" which means Sky in the UK. So don't expect ESPN to be doing them any favours etc from now on.

Also, Dana just killed the rumour of Brock retiring. He's definitely coming back, and is up working on a farm in Canada all winter getting his fitness right.

Thank fu...goodness for that. ESPN have dropped the ball a lot in their time carrying the UFC so any move should be an improvement.

I'm thinking Brock/Mir III for his return fight. It's a big money fight, it's a fight he can win, and it's a guaranteed title fight for the winner.

*rocky soundtrack*

He has to fight Mir next IMO.

Meaning - how about Reem vs. Carwin? :cool:

Silva for 139 looks about right. Too early for Sonnen if he wins?

Thinking about it now, UFC 139 main event will probably be Tito Ortiz vs. Rich Franklin.

I hope not. I don't care how popular they are, the UFC should not be main eventing a PPV with two gatekeepers both coming off of losses.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of Cain/JDS on Fox. Smart not only for ratings obviously but also to ensure that Fox puts all their marketing muscle behind it. At first I was a little disappointed it's going to be the only live fight, but dedicating the hour will allow them to treat the fight as an event. They can do a nice build-up, the fight will deliver, and they can wind it down with some post-fight stuff. It'll leave people feeling like they really saw something important.

I hope not. I don't care how popular they are, the UFC should not be main eventing a PPV with two gatekeepers both coming off of losses.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of Cain/JDS on Fox. Smart not only for ratings obviously but also to ensure that Fox puts all their marketing muscle behind it. At first I was a little disappointed it's going to be the only live fight, but dedicating the hour will allow them to treat the fight as an event. They can do a nice build-up, the fight will deliver, and they can wind it down with some post-fight stuff. It'll leave people feeling like they really saw something important.

And if it works, I can see them doing it more in the future, like the way people would just watch a big boxing match.

My problem with putting such a big fight on free TV is that they've now set a level of expectation for the calibre of fight that FOX and/or viewers will expect from the free shows and to consistently meet those expectation will inevitably mean losing top-drawing PPV fights. Another potential problem is that they are headlining their first show with the Heavyweight title, a weight division that to a lot of people is still the most important one. Outside of putting Brock on, what can they offer on the next live show that won't seem like a step down?

I don't think people are going to be that simple minded. You show them a spectacular heavyweight fight, then if they tune in again and see two awesome welterweights, they're not just gonna turn off.

I should think/hope UFC will make their differing divisions and highlight the champ of every weight class briefly in the Fox show anyway.

I don't think people are going to be that simple minded. You show them a spectacular heavyweight fight, then if they tune in again and see two awesome welterweights, they're not just gonna turn off.

I should think/hope UFC will make their differing divisions and highlight the champ of every weight class briefly in the Fox show anyway.

A spectacular fight in itself won't mean a lot without a fighter people care about behind it. How many times now have we seen hot undercard fights get the silent treatment because nobody knows, or cares, about the fighters? If it was just about great fights, this would be a lot easier than it is.

This bigger slot and bigger audience should help people care about more fighters, I would think.

Not by itself. It'll give them more people to potentially hook but they still need something to hook them in. They the need the next big thing, in all reality, and they better hope Cain is it. Really, if Cain blitzes JDS and doesn't hook them in in big numbers for his next PPV, then putting this title fight on the first show would have been a bust.

http://www.sherdog.com/events/One-Fighting-Championship-OneFC-93-LIVE-Stream-on-Sherdog-17781

Currently at intermission but it's been a fairly good show so far apart from some production issues; instead of replying the finish of the fight that had just ended, they showed multiple replays of the ending to an earlier fight. The only names on the card that most people would know would be Phil Baroni and Yoshiyuki Yoshida who fight in the semi-main event position, as well as TUF washout Andy Wang who is up next. The fighters so far have been relatively inexperienced, including one debut, but they look like to have real promise.

I love Shogun, but yeah, his knees are gone. He'll never be the same elite striker he was in PRIDE.

His chin is still amazing though. That flying knee he ate from Jones in like the first few moments of the fight, and he kept pushing forward, that's ridiculous. I know that was a one-sided beating, but Rua had a ton of heart and can be an incredibly cerebral fighter. He was the first man to figure out the Machida puzzle, and imo should currently have 2 wins against The Dragon.

I just look forward to seeing him fight whenever. Even if it is against Tito. If you doubt someone, that's when things like Tito-Bader CAN happen.

Plus, it'd be fun to see Shogun tee off on Ortiz, he can take quite a punch himself.

Akiyama is making the move to Welterweight and would like to face a top-level name right away. Whatever weight you're at, Akiyama, just learn to use your strengths and stop trying to stand and bang.

Also, Koscheck is apparently claiming his next fight will be at Middleweight and it'll be a big one. Whatever his next fight entails, I just want to end with Koscheck getting KO'd.

Effy Escudero is out of BAMMA 7 :( Seriously gutted on this one, half because I was supposed to be going to chill with him on Wednesday and half because I really wanted to see him fight Tim Radcliff - would have been a much closer fight than people were giving it credit for.

He's out due to travel issues with his visa. Really unprofessional on the part of whoever was organising it for him.

Effy Escudero is out of BAMMA 7 :( Seriously gutted on this one, half because I was supposed to be going to chill with him on Wednesday and half because I really wanted to see him fight Tim Radcliff - would have been a much closer fight than people were giving it credit for.

He's out due to travel issues with his visa. Really unprofessional on the part of whoever was organising it for him.

Bummer.

Also, the ticket prices for UFC 138 have been announced and I will definitely not be going now.