The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="damonster" data-cite="damonster" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>so if GSP vs. Diaz is at super bowl weekend, then when is Sonnen vs. Silva 2?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> They haven't announced anything about Silva's next fight or opponent, thats all Chael hyping it up.</p><p> </p><p> I'm not so sure GSP/Diaz will be a total wrestlefest. GSP hasn't been on the ground with a serious opponent that could threaten him there. Remember the Shields fight? He chose to stand with him. However Diaz clearly showed his stand up prowness last night so is that a great option for GSP? Its either test Diaz on the feet or test yourself in his guard, and being a Diaz nuthugger (at least I admit it) he is a legitimate threat with legitimate skills Strikeforce fighter or not. </p><p> </p><p> Yes GSP can probably take him down and grind it out from side control but atleast Nick is a fighter and is active on the ground and feet unlike all of GSP recent opponents. Kos threw what, 20 punches after all his smack talk about knocking hiim out? Shields only attempted one real takedown from my account then chose to stand and get punched in the face like Kos, Hardy was content to get laid on.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="jesterx7769" data-cite="jesterx7769" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Yes GSP can probably take him down and grind it out from side control but atleast Nick is a fighter and is active on the ground and feet unlike all of GSP recent opponents. Kos threw what, 20 punches after all his smack talk about knocking hiim out? Shields only attempted one real takedown from my account then chose to stand and get punched in the face like Kos, Hardy was content to get laid on.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Tbf though, in the press conference Diaz made a comment, allbeit a sarcastic one, about having earned a beating that he's willing to take, taking his money and going home. Could easily see him getting frustrated on the bottom and losing a bit. However, the possibility that GSP may want to be more aggressive (I really hope this does bring something out of him) is an interesting one.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="damonster" data-cite="damonster" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>GSP has said he will destroy Diaz like no one has ever done, now what the means IDK.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> It means he'll lay on him for five rounds and label that an ass-kicking. If this fight does go down on February 4th, it'll be on my birthday!</p>

GSP will wrestlerape Diaz for five rounds and it will be glorious. Silva-Sonnen II, well, don't be shocked to learn that Silva's side, ie; Ed Soares, are making a lot of noise about Sonnen not being a worthy challenger and generally intimating they don't want the fight. You can make your own conclusions as to why.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="damonster" data-cite="damonster" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>GSP has said he will destroy Diaz like no one has ever done, now what the means IDK.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQymz5lPpMM" rel="external nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQymz5lPpMM</a></p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Pokerking88" data-cite="Pokerking88" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQymz5lPpMM" rel="external nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQymz5lPpMM</a></div></blockquote><p> Wasn't this before got more used to boxing? More importantly, though, is he has had some losses that he should won.</p><p> </p><p> In any case, Donald Cerrone versus Nate Diaz next. Personally, I think Cerrone is actually better than Nate Diaz, especially standing up. Donald's no slouch on the ground either, but I have to give Nate Diaz the advantage there... for now.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="KingJoel" data-cite="KingJoel" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>It means he'll lay on him for five rounds and label that an ass-kicking. If this fight does go down on February 4th, it'll be on my birthday!</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Has GSP ever laid on someone?</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="OldStingberg" data-cite="OldStingberg" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Has GSP ever laid on someone?</div></blockquote><p> Is that a sarcastic question? Seriously, is that a sarcastic question?</p>

Has GSP ever laid on someone?

His offensive output is meager.

e: To expand on this, he fights safe. Very, very safe. To the point of hamstringing his offense. He'll only do as much as is needed to win a round 10-9 and even when he's got a guy on the ropes he doesn't open up - E.G. Dan Hardy when GSP didn't properly apply the kimura because there was a slight chance it would've cost him position.

His offensive output is meager.

e: To expand on this, he fights safe. Very, very safe. To the point of hamstringing his offense. He'll only do as much as is needed to win a round 10-9 and even when he's got a guy on the ropes he doesn't open up - E.G. Dan Hardy when GSP didn't properly apply the kimura because there was a slight chance it would've cost him position.

That's so incredibly ridiculous. Since winning the title, GSP has had eight 10-8 rounds, and that doesn't include the BJ Penn fight since I didn't see the scoring for that fight on Wikipedia. And that's even with the absurdity that all the judges scored the Koscheck fight 50-45. That's a serious chance GSP has had the most 10-8 rounds in the UFC in the last three years.

And hell, that's not even the easiest thing to dispute. His offensive output is meager? Do I seriously need to post the pics of Fitch, Alves, or Koscheck after those fights? Or remind you that he made one of the best fighters ever, BJ Penn, quit on his stool? I'm guessing GSP bored him into wanting out of that fight, even after BJ said he'd fight to the death against a quitter like GSP?

I figured the answer to my question would be the more ambiguous, bullshity "he fights safe" thing with maybe a reference to the Hardy fight. In the fights where he's stood up with guys recently, he's physically destroyed them. He didn't finish most of them, granted, but he tore them all up with the exception of Shields, who GSP could barely see thanks to Shields throwing every punch with his hands open (and even that fight saw GSP throw roughly three dozen overhand rights looking for the KO). Those destructions just can't be disputed, and it's a pretty laughable amount of biased revisionism to try and say otherwise.

The reason I asked the question because I wanted to make this point about the Hardy and Alves fights, GSP's most "boring, lay-and-pray" fights. Watch those fights again, seriously, and count how many times GSP gives up position going for a sub. When GSP injured his groin against Alves, it was immediately after giving up full mount and going for an arm bar. And not in a dumb "there's five seconds left, I'll go for a flying guillotine" sort of way. And when he didn't get the arm bar, he wound up underneath Alves and tore his groin getting free.

Against Hardy, it was seriously almost insulting how often he gave up position going for subs. He didn't score 11 takedowns and 26 passes in that fight because he was sitting in Hardy's guard holding him down. He'd take Hardy down, pass to side control or mount, dive for arm bars or kimuras, fail to get them and lose position often ending up on the bottom, and then getting free and repeating the whole process.

There's serious, legitimate criticisms to be leveled against GSP. He doesn't have high-end power on his strikes. He's also not great at finishing subs. Those two things, combined with his level of competition and the fact that guys get more leeway in title fights, are the reasons he doesn't finish guys as much anymore.

But this idea that he's a blanket that squeaks out decisions is just absurd. And the thing that drives me nuts about it is it's almost always from those elitist internet fans that look down on the live crowds that boo when there's not enough action on the ground.

To be brutally honest, I was joking about the 'lay and pray'. I know he stands and pretty much picks off his opponent with punches, but the fact he hasn't finished anyone properly (I don't count the corner retirement of BJ Penn as a legit finish) since 2008 is kinda the reason for everyone to point and say "HE'S A SAFE FIGHTER!" Some say he lacks that killer instinct he had when he started in the UFC. I don't know, but me personally, I'm split. There are times where I find him exciting and times where I find him boring nowadays.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="OldStingberg" data-cite="OldStingberg" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>That's so incredibly ridiculous. Since winning the title, GSP has had eight 10-8 rounds, and that doesn't include the BJ Penn fight since I didn't see the scoring for that fight on Wikipedia. And that's even with the absurdity that all the judges scored the Koscheck fight 50-45. That's a serious chance GSP has had the most 10-8 rounds in the UFC in the last three years.<p> </p><p> And hell, that's not even the easiest thing to dispute. His offensive output is meager? Do I seriously need to post the pics of Fitch, Alves, or Koscheck after those fights? Or remind you that he made one of the best fighters ever, BJ Penn, quit on his stool? I'm guessing GSP bored him into wanting out of that fight, even after BJ said he'd fight to the death against a quitter like GSP?</p><p> </p><p> I figured the answer to my question would be the more ambiguous, bullshity "he fights safe" thing with maybe a reference to the Hardy fight. In the fights where he's stood up with guys recently, he's physically destroyed them. He didn't finish most of them, granted, but he tore them all up with the exception of Shields, who GSP could barely see thanks to Shields throwing every punch with his hands open (and even that fight saw GSP throw roughly three dozen overhand rights looking for the KO). Those destructions just can't be disputed, and it's a pretty laughable amount of biased revisionism to try and say otherwise.</p><p> </p><p> The reason I asked the question because I wanted to make this point about the Hardy and Alves fights, GSP's most "boring, lay-and-pray" fights. Watch those fights again, seriously, and count how many times GSP gives up position going for a sub. When GSP injured his groin against Alves, it was immediately after giving up <em>full mount</em> and going for an arm bar. And not in a dumb "there's five seconds left, I'll go for a flying guillotine" sort of way. And when he didn't get the arm bar, he wound up underneath Alves and tore his groin getting free.</p><p> </p><p> Against Hardy, it was seriously almost insulting how often he gave up position going for subs. He didn't score 11 takedowns and 26 passes in that fight because he was sitting in Hardy's guard holding him down. He'd take Hardy down, pass to side control or mount, dive for arm bars or kimuras, fail to get them and lose position often ending up on the bottom, and then getting free and repeating the whole process.</p><p> </p><p> There's serious, legitimate criticisms to be leveled against GSP. He doesn't have high-end power on his strikes. He's also not great at finishing subs. Those two things, combined with his level of competition and the fact that guys get more leeway in title fights, are the reasons he doesn't finish guys as much anymore. </p><p> </p><p> But this idea that he's a blanket that squeaks out decisions is just absurd. And the thing that drives me nuts about it is it's almost always from those elitist internet fans that look down on the live crowds that boo when there's not enough action on the ground.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Total agreement here. Anyone who says GSP ' just lays on people' is just plain ignorant. GSP is always working for position, looking for a submission or making an attempt to do something, etc. He doesn't just 'lay there'; he is always looking for the next move to make and actively working towards it.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="OldStingberg" data-cite="OldStingberg" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>That's so incredibly ridiculous. Since winning the title, GSP has had eight 10-8 rounds, and that doesn't include the BJ Penn fight since I didn't see the scoring for that fight on Wikipedia. And that's even with the absurdity that all the judges scored the Koscheck fight 50-45. That's a serious chance GSP has had the most 10-8 rounds in the UFC in the last three years.<p> </p><p> And hell, that's not even the easiest thing to dispute. His offensive output is meager? Do I seriously need to post the pics of Fitch, Alves, or Koscheck after those fights? Or remind you that he made one of the best fighters ever, BJ Penn, quit on his stool? I'm guessing GSP bored him into wanting out of that fight, even after BJ said he'd fight to the death against a quitter like GSP?</p><p> </p><p> I figured the answer to my question would be the more ambiguous, bullshity "he fights safe" thing with maybe a reference to the Hardy fight. In the fights where he's stood up with guys recently, he's physically destroyed them. He didn't finish most of them, granted, but he tore them all up with the exception of Shields, who GSP could barely see thanks to Shields throwing every punch with his hands open (and even that fight saw GSP throw roughly three dozen overhand rights looking for the KO). Those destructions just can't be disputed, and it's a pretty laughable amount of biased revisionism to try and say otherwise.</p><p> </p><p> The reason I asked the question because I wanted to make this point about the Hardy and Alves fights, GSP's most "boring, lay-and-pray" fights. Watch those fights again, seriously, and count how many times GSP gives up position going for a sub. When GSP injured his groin against Alves, it was immediately after giving up <em>full mount</em> and going for an arm bar. And not in a dumb "there's five seconds left, I'll go for a flying guillotine" sort of way. And when he didn't get the arm bar, he wound up underneath Alves and tore his groin getting free.</p><p> </p><p> Against Hardy, it was seriously almost insulting how often he gave up position going for subs. He didn't score 11 takedowns and 26 passes in that fight because he was sitting in Hardy's guard holding him down. He'd take Hardy down, pass to side control or mount, dive for arm bars or kimuras, fail to get them and lose position often ending up on the bottom, and then getting free and repeating the whole process.</p><p> </p><p> There's serious, legitimate criticisms to be leveled against GSP. He doesn't have high-end power on his strikes. He's also not great at finishing subs. Those two things, combined with his level of competition and the fact that guys get more leeway in title fights, are the reasons he doesn't finish guys as much anymore. </p><p> </p><p> But this idea that he's a blanket that squeaks out decisions is just absurd. And the thing that drives me nuts about it is it's almost always from those elitist internet fans that look down on the live crowds that boo when there's not enough action on the ground.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Woah there confrontational guy, I didn't say he was a blanket that squeaks out decisions, I said that he's a fighter who fights very safely to the detriment of his offensive output.</p><p> </p><p> The Fitch fight was an absolute shellacking because GSP could mercilessly pound on him with virtually no risk. Against BJ he didn't open up with significant offense until BJ was gassed and had nothing to offer. The Alves fight was a lot of control and short bursts of offense; enough to win him clear 10-9 rounds. Hardy, even less offense, and he either didn't properly finish his submissions or chose not to because it would've carried the risk of giving up position. Koscheck, enough to win clear 10-9 rounds, but he wasn't exactly taking Koscheck to town for being a cyclops. The Shields fight was something of an anomaly given the third round eyepoke but before then his work rate was pretty anemic with him doing enough to win 10-9 rounds, not exactly throwing three dozen overhand rights.</p><p> </p><p> Seriously, I'm not saying GSP is a bad fighter, a boring fighter or that he won't beat Diaz. I don't really care that he's not finishing guys. Calling his offense meager probably was been a misnomer, it's more like GSP's offense is meager when compared to what it should be given how good he is at top control and what his opponents' defense leaves to be desired.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Daffanka" data-cite="Daffanka" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Woah there confrontational guy, I didn't say he was a blanket that squeaks out decisions, I said that he's a fighter who fights very safely to the detriment of his offensive output.<p> </p><p> The Fitch fight was an absolute shellacking because GSP could mercilessly pound on him with virtually no risk. Against BJ he didn't open up with significant offense until BJ was gassed and had nothing to offer. The Alves fight was a lot of control and short bursts of offense; enough to win him clear 10-9 rounds. Hardy, even less offense, and he either didn't properly finish his submissions or chose not to because it would've carried the risk of giving up position. Koscheck, enough to win clear 10-9 rounds, but he wasn't exactly taking Koscheck to town for being a cyclops. The Shields fight was something of an anomaly given the third round eyepoke but before then his work rate was pretty anemic with him doing enough to win 10-9 rounds, not exactly throwing three dozen overhand rights.</p><p> </p><p> Seriously, I'm not saying GSP is a bad fighter, a boring fighter or that he won't beat Diaz. I don't really care that he's not finishing guys. Calling his offense meager probably was been a misnomer, it's more like GSP's offense is meager when compared to what it should be given how good he is at top control and what his opponents' defense leaves to be desired.</p></div></blockquote><p> I agree with this, but I want to add something. </p><p> </p><p> Something changed with him after the Serra fight. Other than putting an absolute beating on Serra in the second fight, he has been rather tentative. He's become ultra-defensive in his fighting style. Since he's revenge fight against Serra, he technically one has ONE TKO, and that's because Penn was done, and it was more of a doctor stoppage than a finish. Why do you think Dana White has decided to put Frankie Edgar above GSP?</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="ampulator" data-cite="ampulator" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Why do you think Dana White has decided to put Frankie Edgar above GSP?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Because GSP already sells fights, and Frankie Edgar doesn't. That is literally the only reason.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="OldStingberg" data-cite="OldStingberg" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Because GSP already sells fights, and Frankie Edgar doesn't. That is literally the only reason.</div></blockquote><p> That's a good explanation, actually, but you still haven't address Daffanka's points. </p><p> </p><p> But more on point, I think there's another reason-Dana White is beginning to feel the "heat". GSP is definitely a sell out in Canada, but how much longer can GSP keep doing these decisions? He was gunshy on a one-eyed Koscheck. He decisioned Shields, while he got KOed by Ellenberger. He's gunshy.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="ampulator" data-cite="ampulator" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>That's a good explanation, actually, but you still haven't address Daffanka's points.</div></blockquote><p> I spent seven paragraphs addressing his points. All he did was restate them. I'm not going to spend another seven paragraphs restating what I said.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="ampulator" data-cite="ampulator" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>But more on point, I think there's another reason-Dana White is beginning to feel the "heat". GSP is definitely a sell out in Canada, but how much longer can GSP keep doing these decisions? He was gunshy on a one-eyed Koscheck. He decisioned Shields, while he got KOed by Ellenberger. He's gunshy.</div></blockquote><p> GSP landed 4.4 significant strikes per minute in the Koscheck fight. Forrest Griffin is 10th overall in UFC history with 4.49 significant strikes per minute. 4.4 significant strikes per minute against a top five fighter? That can't seriously be considered gunshy. </p><p> </p><p> And you know who else failed to knock out Jake Shields? 30 of his other 32 opponents, including Robbie Lawler, Carlos Condit, Paul Daley, Martin Kampmann, and <em>Dan Henderson</em>. I'm not sure there's much shame in not knocking out Jake Shields, especially when you're only working with one eye for half the fight.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="OldStingberg" data-cite="OldStingberg" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I spent seven paragraphs addressing his points. All he did was restate them. I'm not going to spend another seven paragraphs restating what I said.<p> </p><p> </p><p> GSP landed 4.4 significant strikes per minute in the Koscheck fight. Forrest Griffin is 10th overall in UFC history with 4.49 significant strikes per minute. 4.4 significant strikes per minute against a top five fighter? That can't seriously be considered gunshy. </p><p> </p><p> And you know who else failed to knock out Jake Shields? 30 of his other 32 opponents, including Robbie Lawler, Carlos Condit, Paul Daley, Martin Kampmann, and <em>Dan Henderson</em>. I'm not sure there's much shame in not knocking out Jake Shields, especially when you're only working with one eye for half the fight.</p></div></blockquote><p> I think he clarified his statements, rather than simply just restate it. But if you feel you don't have to answer it, hey, I'm not going to push it.</p><p> </p><p> In any case,He's gunshy in the sense he didn't attempt to land any harder shots. Yes, he landed a lot of shots, and many that put the hurting on Koscheck, but many of them were only hurting, not KO shots. </p><p> </p><p> On Shields, other than Dan Henderson, most of the others were good but extremely flawed oppoents. Robbie Lawler and Paul Daley have no ground game. Carlos Condit doesn't have the best wrestling. Martin Kampmann fights stupid. He has some decent and good wins, but no one really at that was close to his level, other than Dan Henderson. And besides, Henderson's is flat-footed and has poor takedown defense for a wrestler. Shields' wrestling isn't that good for higher-level wrestlers or people with good takedown defense, and he's got very little tools standing.</p>

<p>Honestly, I think that GSP has never been a strong finisher. As someone in the thread noted noted, he doesn't seem to have a ton of that 1-shot stopping power and he seems far better at getting position for submissions than finishing with them. </p><p> </p><p>

If you look at his career - yes, he finished 6 of his first 7 opponents. But these weren't really world beaters with the biggest names being Parisyan (decision), Spratt (known more for being in the UFC than for being a dominating opponent), and Hieron. Since then, his stoppages have been over: Sean Sherk (lightweight), BJ Penn (lightweight), Serra (lightweight), Hughes twice (Hughes had already had over 40 fights by their first encounter and over 45 by the time GSP beat him), and Trigg by rear naked choke (Trigg has a history of being finishable). </p><p> </p><p>

I don't feel like he's necessarily timid when he fights. He damages his opponents, achieves dominant positions, goes for ground and pound, works for submissions. He's just more technical (in terms of his jab and positioning) than he his powerful, I think.</p>

<p>I didn't even mention his finishing skills; I said that his offense is stymied because he doesn't want to take any significant risks. Seven paragraphs about how he beat his opponents decisively and how their faces were busted up after the fight doesn't change that.</p><p> </p><p>

e: for what it's worth I haven't rewatched any of his latest fights (shocker) but I seem to remember the armbar(s) coming after Hardy had already bucked GSP and it was the only gambit left. Once I'm off work I'll try to track down the Hardy and Alves fights to see if I'm wrong.</p>