The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

Another favourable matchup for Bisping...I suppose he gets the shot at Silva if Chael somehow loses. But if Sonnen does win, is Bisping going to have to face someone else first? Somehow I think they don't want him fighting Anderson :o

I don't think it's a particularly favorable match up for Bisping, although to be fair it's probably the most favorable out of any fighter that can reasonably be beat for a title shot.

GSP has torn his ACL and will be out of action for ten months, at least. Condit vs. Diaz for the interim Welterweight title how headlines UFC 143.

This could be a game changer for GSP. 10 months means its a bad tear...I've done it myself and it's unpleasant and difficult to rehab. Will be very interesting to see what kind of fighter GSP is when he eventually steps back in the cage.

Also my little birdie tells me that Bisping vs Maia will be announced today.

Evans vs Davis

Sonnen vs Munoz

Bisping vs Maia

That's a particularly sick free card if ever I saw one. Might even make the trip stateside for it.

You were right my friend.

Sad that I can't laugh in everyone's face when GSP was gonnd KO Diaz.

Dana saying the winner of bisping vs Maia gets the shot after chael/Munoz. They definitely think bisping is going to win...Maia getting a shot at silva or sonnen would pretty much be a disaster, for different reasons. Think bisping definitely has the upper hand, but it won't be easy.

Dana saying the winner of bisping vs Maia gets the shot after chael/Munoz. They definitely think bisping is going to win...Maia getting a shot at silva or sonnen would pretty much be a disaster, for different reasons. Think bisping definitely has the upper hand, but it won't be easy.

This is matchup designed for Bisping's strengths. Decent Takedown defense, Ability to get up, good standup... however, if Maia wins, Bisping's stock goes even further down.

If we get Sonnen/Maia 2, we all know what's going to happen.

Looks like Evans is in deep shit from one of his comments, & IMO worse then any other sonnen comments.

What did Evans say? I just read a story where he was saying that he and JJ would go at it when Jones was 100% and he Evans wasn't and Evans said he always beat him up. Standard rivalry stuff to me.

Looks like Evans is in deep shit from one of his comments, & IMO worse then any other sonnen comments.

I don't think he's gonna get in trouble at all, at least not publicly. It seems to be another one of those situations where the media are jumping all over him for what he said, making a bigger issue out of it than it otherwise might have been.

Personally...I dunno, I feel that it's a human reaction to use humour/comedy to deal with tragic things. Whenever a celebrity dies, or something awful happens in the news, Twitter, Facebook, email etc is full of jokes about it. Not to everyone's tastes, and certainly not politically correct, but it happens.

With Evans, the consideration is that he's a public figure/role model whether he likes it or not. Should he be making comments like that? Probably not. Should he be dragged over the coals for it, fined, suspended etc? Probably not.

At most, he was probably spoken to afterwards. Can't see it going any further than that.

I don't think he's gonna get in trouble at all, at least not publicly. It seems to be another one of those situations where the media are jumping all over him for what he said, making a bigger issue out of it than it otherwise might have been.

Personally...I dunno, I feel that it's a human reaction to use humour/comedy to deal with tragic things. Whenever a celebrity dies, or something awful happens in the news, Twitter, Facebook, email etc is full of jokes about it. Not to everyone's tastes, and certainly not politically correct, but it happens.

With Evans, the consideration is that he's a public figure/role model whether he likes it or not. Should he be making comments like that? Probably not. Should he be dragged over the coals for it, fined, suspended etc? Probably not.

At most, he was probably spoken to afterwards. Can't see it going any further than that.

I don't want to go into this, because this is hot potato situation, but it's way too early to joke about Penn State. Plus, to joke about something like that, you have to be REALLY ridiculous and/or REALLY funny, or people are going to **** on you.

I don't want to go into this, because this is hot potato situation, but it's way too early to joke about Penn State. Plus, to joke about something like that, you have to be REALLY ridiculous and/or REALLY funny, or people are going to **** on you.

Agree, he went into territory that shouldn't have been exploried, yet. Although Davis did open that door with his own comments, but they were not even close or the same thing.

Anyway, on an infinitely more pleasant subject...

It may be UFC weekend, but is anybody going to/watching BAMMA this weekend?

It's on HDNet in the US, Fight Network in Canada and SyFy in the UK. Strangely the SyFy broadcast is only scheduled for 1hr on most TV guides right now, which means 2 fights at the most.

HDNet (US) are advertising a 2hr show. They're also saying that Leeroy vs Jack Marshman will be broadcast, which would indicate 5 fights in total.

The Fight Network have a 2.5hr slot for the event.

I'm guessing folks in North America will get...

Manuwa vs Rea

Wallhead vs Villasenor

Winner vs Gonzalez (sick fight)

McVeigh vs Perez

Marshman vs Barnes (Lonsdale British Middleweight title fight)

That's entirely a matter of opinion. Many people would agree with you, many wouldn't. Neither party is 'right'.

Look, to to even talk about Penn State, you have to be very careful. It's an extremely hot potatos situation.

It's not so much that you can't talk about it, it's that it's sort of a bad idea to talk about right now. If you know what the subject material is, it's a really, really bad idea to talk about it, right now. Later? Maybe, maybe not.

To let you know, I'm not angry at Evans personally. I think he thought he knew what he saying. But if American Comedians have a hard time making jokes about it, at least, for now, then it's going to even harder for Evans. He certainly has the right to say, but the timing is... well, imprudent, and against his better judgment.

Look, to to even talk about Penn State, you have to be very careful.

No I don't. I thought what Evans said was funny.

You might not, but that doesn't mean it was wrong. Should he have said it? Probably not. Was it 'wrong'? Matter of opinion. Should he be vilified for it? No.

Miguel Torres (another victim of 'media backlash' this week) retweeted something great today. "People are perfectly happy to laugh at offensive jokes until the joke offends them. Then it's not funny anymore."

Either everything is ok, or nothing is ok. So if anyone is going to give Rashad grief over this, I hope that they've never laughed at any kind of non-PC joke, ever. Because that would make them the worst kind of person in the world: a hypocrite.

You might not, but that doesn't mean it was wrong. Should he have said it? Probably not. Was it 'wrong'? Matter of opinion. Should he be vilified for it? No.

Miguel Torres (another victim of 'media backlash' this week) retweeted something great today. "People are perfectly happy to laugh at offensive jokes until the joke offends them. Then it's not funny anymore."

Either everything is ok, or nothing is ok. So if anyone is going to give Rashad grief over this, I hope that they've never laughed at any kind of non-PC joke, ever. Because that would make them the worst kind of person in the world: a hypocrite.

There might be a few worse personality traits in human nature. :p

Yet again, you miss my point. My point isn't the joke is offensive, or that he should be allowed to say it.

I'm saying that he should nor do it right now. If did it later, let's say, when situation died down, so what? But right now the situation is too hot. Timing is everything. And there's a place and time for everything. His timing and the place he said it was, well, very imprudent.

You also forget, it's not the joke I'm harping over, it's when he said it. It's still too soon. And I'm not being "PC" about it, either, it's about patience.

As Hypocrite, too be human is to be a hypocrite. Humans do many hypocritical things. Sometimes, even necessary hypocritical things. But more important, that has nothing to do with what I said. The problem ultimately isn't the joke. The problem isn't PC. The problem is timing. Too soon, as practical matter. Evans thought he knew what he was doing (I'm pretty sure of that), and this wasn't so off "mistake" he did, and while he shouldn't be punished for it, he totally said it the wrong time. Should he be allowed? Well, as dumb and disgusting as it was, yes. Should he have said the time he said? He certainly should have been allowed, but it was too soon, because situation is too hot.

People should be allowed to say almost anything (you can't yell fire in a crowded room, that's a US Supreme standard) for clear-cut safety reasons, but 99% is allowed. And that includes Evans's comments. However, just because you can saying, doesn't mean you can say anything at anytime.

Do I think what he said is wrong? Yes

Do I think what he said is offensive? Yes

Do I think what he said is funny? Yes

Do I think the media will make a hayday out of that comment? Yes

Do I think he will be fired, fined or suspended? Nope

Do I think what he said is wrong? Yes

Do I think what he said is offensive? Yes

Do I think what he said is funny? Yes

Do I think the media will make a hayday out of that comment? Yes

Do I think he will be fired, fined or suspended? Nope

You see, I don't necessarily find the joke funny, and I find it wrong and offensive, but I don't think he should fired or suspended either.

My problem is, he did it against his better judgment, and he did at poor timing. He did this joke after situation dies down, who gives a darn? But the situation is too much off a hot potato right now. He couldn't wait. He had to get it in on Davis. He had to say something where Phil Davis couldn't get rebuttal. And in the processpf trying to make a fool out of Davis, he makes himself look bad.

Timing, is everything. And this was wrong time to say it.