The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

Mark Hunt... if only he learned Takedown defense early in his career, he would have wouldn't have such a bad a losing streak.

I have to admit, he looks a lot better now. If he can get better with his grappling and his cardio, I dunno, he'd be on a whole 'nother level. But that's what I think.

I have to admit, he looks a lot better now. If he can get better with his grappling and his cardio, I dunno, he'd be on a whole 'nother level. But that's what I think.

He's 37, and allegedly, he no longer wants to fight-he's doing this for the paycheck... allegedly, of course. I don't expect him to a main player in the UFC division, but considering there aren't a lot of HW's in the first place, he's a good gatekeeper.

He's 37, and allegedly, he no longer wants to fight-he's doing this for the paycheck... allegedly, of course. I don't expect him to a main player in the UFC division, but considering there aren't a lot of HW's in the first place, he's a good gatekeeper.

Wait, 37? Never knew that. If he decides to keep at it, gatekeeper is definitely something he should be. And...Hughes gets knocked out...again. :(

Wait, 37? Never knew that. If he decides to keep at it, gatekeeper is definitely something he should be. And...Hughes gets knocked out...again. :(

He will always be an all-time great... I think he just came along before any serious hard-hitters and boxing came into MMA. When he wins, he wins big... he's never lost a decision. But when he loses... :(

He will always be an all-time great... I think he just came along before any serious hard-hitters and boxing came into MMA. When he wins, he wins big... he's never lost a decision. But when he loses... :(

When he loses, it's normally brutal. I haven't seen any of his fights outside of the UFC, but looking at the likes he's faced...He was pushed too fast into fighting the BIG, BIG names. Sure he got victories over Cro Cop and Wanderlei, but he faded into a long losing streak.

When he loses, it's normally brutal. I haven't seen any of his fights outside of the UFC, but looking at the likes he's faced...He was pushed too fast into fighting the BIG, BIG names. Sure he got victories over Cro Cop and Wanderlei, but he faded into a long losing streak.

I was talking about Matt Hughes. :p

Jon Jones is the real deal. He gets on my nerves at times, but I don't dislike him.

I love him, he's good for the sport to be honest. But my God, he outclassed Rampage. Card was up and down in some places, I enjoyed it. Even the fight where Hunt and Rothwell gassed. Main event lived up to the hype for me.

I was a huge Jones fan as I've watched him since his UFC debut but I'm with Amp, since he's won the title he def. comes off as fake. It's like he's trying so hard not to come off as ****y, that it just doesn't seem genuine. However, I don't dislike him and I like him more than Rampage and Rashad (crybabies) and one thing no one can deny is Jones skills. If we wanted to be aggressive he could have taken out Rampage any way he wanted just like all his opponents.

However Rashad will be a much tougher fight. I'm not a Rampge fight fan at all as his style is very boring and it all depends on his opponent. If he is fighting an aggressive fighter ala Jardine, Liddell, Wanderlei, he can counter punch them. If he fights someone smart ala Rashad, Forrest, Jones, he can't do anything. I guess its just his "I come to knock people out" attitude that bugs me since he doesn't, he comes to counter punch and throw hooks, thats it. is he talented and a great athlete? Hell yeah, but the Pride Rampage is not the Rampage of now. Rampage has a great highlight reel, but his actual UFC fights are boring. I thought it would be Jones via sub or a Rampage knockout off a spinning elbow/screw up.

As for Rashad, he can *on paper* matches Jones' wrestling, strength, and speed, so we will see what happens. I don't like Rashad for his whining but I feel like he is well rounded and will be much tougher. If Jones tripes/screws up as much as he did tonight, I think Rashad will be all over him. We also may see Jones on bottom for the first time.

I know this may be me just over-thinking, but Jones starting the round on all fours...Could that have been a direct shot at Rashad Evans? Evans does literally the same thing when he enters the Octagon. Maybe sending a message?

It's actually quite brilliant if you want a takedown. When Jones started that way, with his hand down, Rampage couldn't do anything. Kick to the head? illegal. Lunging punch? takedown via jones. Shoot for a takedown? Jones is already lower giving him the takedown. Jones said he wanted the initial shot in his post interview so i thought it was smart, althought toolish. Obviously if he kept doing rampage would be prepared to sprawl but my guess is he was hoping Rampage would go for a big punch.

edit: biggest surprise the puling guard. he knew he didnt have enough time to finish and clearly just did it for the heck of it to bug rampage but he could have gotten it, he had his knee and ankle locked just had to get rampages arm out.

What an absolutely horrible idea, he'll be back to kickboxing in a year at most.

Glad Saki gets to beat him on his way out though.

Happy he's at least fighting in the GP before he moves on. Down to money would be my guess. With K1 struggling and I don't know that Its Showtime pays the fighters huge...?