The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

I cant take you seriously as a "worlds top fighter" when there are 7 other divisions who would beat you clearly on size alone

So presumably you can't take Manny Pacquiao or Floyd Mayweather seriously as the world's top boxers? Or Giorgio Petrosyan (or any Thai boxer ever) as the world's top kickboxer?

Why does size matter when they're only competing in their own weight class? It makes me laugh when people say they're a fan of the sport just not little guys/heavyweights/whatever. You either like fighting or you don't. Some of the best fights in the history of the sport have happened at 155lbs and below.

Anyway, personally I'm surprised that they didn't pick up Mamoru Yamaguchi for this tourney. Assuming that he'll get nabbed soon-ish though, along with Jussier da Silva (only loss to Ian McCall), Darrell Montague (only loss at 125 to McCall), Ulysses 'Useless' Gomez (if only for the nickname) BJ Kojima (Shooto flyweight star) and Kiyotaka Shimizu (King of Pancrase).

FYI, the shortest of all those guys is 5'2, the rest are 5'4 to 5'6. Same as Frankie Edgar, not that it matters a jot.

Also, Kenny Florian has just revealed that he'll be taking up the Dolce diet and going after the winner of the 125lb tournament.

Also, I don't give a crap about 125, sorry. Big MMA fan and watch Bellator, DREAM, XFC, whatever's on HDNET but I just dont care about a big enough difference from 125-145. I cant take you seriously as a "worlds top fighter" when there are 7 other divisions who would beat you clearly on size alone (hence the major reason HW's draw so well and Cruz is always go main event).

That makes sense. Clearly the UFC should only have HWs and maybe LHWs. I can't see anything wrong with that.

Things are looking really shaky for the UFC 141 main event right now.

Spoke to Randy Couture over the weekend - he was telling people that Overeem had left to look after his mother. Now, I'm hearing two stories from there...

1 - He went home to look after his mum, and in doing so missed a sceduled pre-fight screening. *IF* this is the case, he'll likely be given a pass, as there are extenuating circumstances and he has no past history of failing tests.

2 - He failed a pre-fight drug screening. This is massivly unlikely, as if he'd failed a screening then I believe we'd know about it already, and he certainly wouldn't be on the agenda for today's commission meeting under "Request by mixed martial artist Alistair Overeem for a license, for possible action" as he currently is.

It's possible that he missed a scheduled screening due to his family situation and is having to request that a licence is granted if he returns to the states and passes a test pre-fight. You need a clean set of tests to be licensed, and this situation with his mother could have simply thrown his plans out of kilter.

Or not. We'll find out later today. Meeting starts at 3pm local, which is about 11 in the UK, I think.

Also, Kenny Florian has just revealed that he'll be taking up the Dolce diet and going after the winner of the 125lb tournament.

Crazy. He looked so slim at 145. Not even trying 135 first?

I'm looking forward to the 125 division. The small fighters are so fast that 9 out of 10 times they put on great fights, so I say the more fights with small guys the better. I really miss WEC <3.

That makes sense. Clearly the UFC should only have HWs and maybe LHWs. I can't see anything wrong with that.

His post was full of fail on so many levels.

Most fighters are tested about 30 days out from the fight, I believe. When did Overeem jet back home? Oh, the end of November. Let me get my calender out and check the date of the Lesnar fight...

Crazy. He looked so slim at 145. Not even trying 135 first?

I'm looking forward to the 125 division. The small fighters are so fast that 9 out of 10 times they put on great fights, so I say the more fights with small guys the better. I really miss WEC <3.

Florian cutting weight to go after championships has become something of a running joke. The dude started out at 185, after all.

Most fighters are tested about 30 days out from the fight, I believe. When did Overeem jet back home? Oh, the end of November. Let me get my calender out and check the date of the Lesnar fight...

Most fighters aren't tested at all. Some commissions have started to do 'out of competition' testing. There was a rumour going around that Lesnar had to do an OOC test last month...if that's the case then it would be 'normal' for his opponent to be tested also.

When applying for a licence, you do have to present recent medicals. How recent depends on the commission but I believe it is 28 days in Nevada (which makes them useless anyway). Overeem hasn't fought in Nevada for years - this could very well be a case of "Here's your licence, now who's for horse meat sandwiches?"

It gets interesting in the Overeem story; Lorenzo Fertitta earlier said that Overeem was good to go and the fight was on, but Frank Mir has been asked if he was ready to take the fight, which he said yes to.

Just to clarify, Frank Mir has *NOT* been asked to be ready....Malki Kawa (his manager called the UFC and told them that Mir *WOULD* be ready to step in.

I'm on the conference call of the commission hearing now. Will update as I can.

NSAC discussing Vlad Matyushenko's applications now. Licence approved. Keith Jardine's licence up next.

Jardine being asked about his suspension in Texas. Both these guys only up for review because they are over 35. Standard procedure.

Jardine got grilled about shoving an official to a ridiculous extent. Also about fighting with a migraine. Ultimately his licence was granted.

Some 44 year old female fighter being reviewed now. Reem should be up next.

Reem being discussed now.

Kizer issued out of comp testing for Reem on Nov 17th. Something happened to prevent that. Reem did not take the test as requested on the 17th. Lesnar took the test and passed. Nothing heard from Reem camp for 4 days. Reem went to Holland that weekend.

Reem did a blood test a week late, passed but this was the wrong test. This test was arranged by Reem's doctor. Reem passed these tests.

Overeem went in for urine test on Wed Dec 7th. Results expected this week.

Overeem being forced to take an oath now. Will then be questioned.

Overeem says his mother's situation, testinging in Holland being different to US.

Reems firsts test were taken by his physician. Second barrage of tests were done at a facility in Germany.

Overeem is talking now...being questioned about his flight, re: if he took a flight before or after he knew a random sample had been requested. Said he didn't know when he took the fight.

Reem: "I did not make efforts to avoid testing"

Overeem says he bought his ticket for Holland on the 15th, left Vegas on the 17th. This is VERY important.

Deliberations starting now.

Commission saying Reem's people not appreciating urgency RE: random testing.

Looks like he'll be licenced pending samples he's waiting on being clean, plus 2 random samples over the next 6 months.

The motion is open to approve a conditional licence

The motion was NOT seconded, further deliberation happening now

Commissioner Brady suggesting Reems comes back to US and gets tested. Says not comfortable issuing exemptions. What a roller coaster.

The commission now wants Reem to produce another test - rather than the one he gave on December 7th. On his own dime...

He's in EU until Christmas Eve...so he might be sent to the UK for a test. This motion could go to the floor soon...

Motion passed, Overeem is licensed conditionally. Conditions are: Test in 72 hrs, test when he lands in the US, 2 tests over next six months.

NSAC discussing Vlad Matyushenko's applications now. Licence approved. Keith Jardine's licence up next.

Jardine being asked about his suspension in Texas. Both these guys only up for review because they are over 35. Standard procedure.

Jardine's gets grilled, like you tweeted. But they license him.

I can't put my finger on it. I"m not saying Overeem is lying at all. It's just feels off. It's not an objective observation, but more of a subjective feeling. I think the NSAC was rather lenient. That one dude wanted to come back to test in the USA, though.

Did you not read my post on the last page?

Reem does have to test in the US, when he gets back. He also has to test in the next 72 hrs in an approved location in the EU AND two random tests after the fight.

That's the most any combat sports athlete in the world has EVER been tested for one fight. He's also provided clean blood tests, which are better than the urinalysis he's being asked to provide now.

So how is that in any way lenient?

Did you not read my post on the last page?

Reem does have to test in the US, when he gets back. He also has to test in the next 72 hrs in an approved location in the EU AND two random tests after the fight.

That's the most any combat sports athlete in the world has EVER been tested for one fight. He's also provided clean blood tests, which are better than the urinalysis he's being asked to provide now.

So how is that in any way lenient?

I think I need to clarify. I think I heard that guy said he wanted Overeem to come back right away to test it. Of course, I could have been hearing it wrong (my streaming feed was whack in terms of sound). I'm bit surprised the others didn't go with it. That's what I mean by leniency.

I mean, this situation was forced onto the commission, not the other way around. It's odd that he didn't give them the test they requested. I think Overeem explained this part well, but it's not him I'm having my doubts about, it's the people around him I'm having doubts about. These snafus seem a bit convenient.

I think I need to clarify. I think I heard that guy said he wanted Overeem to come back right away to test it. Of course, I could have been hearing it wrong (my streaming feed was whack in terms of sound). I'm bit surprised the others didn't go with it. That's what I mean by leniency.

I mean, this situation was forced onto the commission, not the other way around. It's odd that he didn't give them the test they requested. I think Overeem explained this part well, but it's not him I'm having my doubts about, it's the people around him I'm having doubts about. These snafus seem a bit convenient.

The most important fact for me is this: He booked that ticket two days before the commission asked for testing. That in itself pretty much proves that he did not leave the US to avoid that test - his trip was already planned and booked. Also, they figured out that there was about an hour between his assistant receiving the call and him actually arriving at the airport. Now, I don't know how far his place is from the airport, but we could potentially be talking a window of minutes for his assistant to inform him. It seems massively, massively unlikely that Reem skipped town.

It's not odd to me that he gave them a blood test. From what his assistant said under oath, he had no clue about anything to do with testing anyway. It's the commission's responsibility to deal with a fighter, not any old unqualified person they've chosen to hire to answer their phone. This guy asked for a drug test, and in Holland, a blood test is what's done. If the guy is unqualified as he say he is, then I'm not in the least bit surprised that there was a miscommunication. But that's the commission's fault.

Worth pointing out that the commission never asked Overeem for proof he got the plane ticket two days before the test was requested and I don't believe any has been offered. That and many 'coincidences' or 'mistakes' make this look well dodgy.

True that, true that. Just to play Devil's Advocate though - He was sworn in under oath before he was asked the question about the ticket. That was done on purpose, and he will be required to provide proof of his statement if it at any point falls under doubt. Lying under oath I would assume carries a harsher penalty than a six month suspension of his fighting licence.

What this all comes down to though is plausible deniability, which he has in spades. Trust me, through most of that call (especially when they were first questioning him) it looked REALLY bad. He seemed to be digging himself quite the hole. But at the end of the day, his story kinda made sense, which apparently is good enough for the NSAC! :-p

The commission is known for being particularly lenient - they've slashed suspensions and fines for literally no reason whatsoever in the past.