The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

I wonder if this fight would even be allowed to go ahead if there was an official commission regulating MMA in Brazil.

The cut off for most commissions at MW, within the LHW limit is a 12lb difference. Johnson made this. That is to say, if a fighter misses 186, the opponent is allowed up to 197.

This is not a written rule though, more of an accepted cut off point for commissions.

At the end of the day though, it's down to the fighter. If Vitor weighs in at 185.1lbs, by the rule book he's a light heavyweight anyway. This fight will go down in history as a light heavyweight bout, assuming Rumble makes 205lbs tomorrow.

If this was in Vegas..it'd probably still go down. If it was under a commission with which the UFC didn't have as much influence...who knows?

MMA Trivia (Try not to Google it!):

Tito Ortiz wasn't paid by the UFC for two of his fights with the promotion. Why?

Mark Coleman's Pride 2000 GP win is forever tainted due to the towel being thrown in his semi-final fight with Kazuyuki Fujita before a single blow was landed. Had Pride not pulled this little trick, who would Coleman have fought in the semi's?

What was the outcome when the two unofficially fought years later?

Name two UFC fights claimed to be fixed by an official (ref or judge) who was involved in the fight?

Royce Gracie's legendary bout with Sakuraba should never have happened. Why?

1 - Tito Ortiz is because he competed as an "amateur" as he had a college scholarship he would of lost if he competed for money - i think

2 - i'll guess Mark Kerr who was defeated by Fujita

3 - No clue, i 'm guessing it was in NJPW

4 - Don Frye v Mark Hall, so Frye was fresh for Tank in the finals of i think Ultimate Ultimate 96 (maybe 95)

secondly was it Oleg Taktarov/Dave Beneteau always looked a bit quick and easy

Bonus mention for Franklin v Ken Shamrock - just didnt seem right

5 - Not sure, going to say its something to do with the special rules that Gracie wanted and everyone he fought would have to agree to?

Supposedly, Rumble became ill a couple of days ago while cutting weight and was told to rehydrate. If he weighs more than 205lbs when he gets weighed right before he steps into the cage, the fight is meant to be called off. I wonder what the Brazilians will do if that happens.

Perhaps Mr 48 can tell us what Tom Kong's status in BAMMA is because it's been alleged in some places he's not with them anymore, I presume because his next fight is outside of BAMMA, and if the public reason for Marquardt being gone from BAMMA is the actual reason he's gone from BAMMA.

The other wonky UFC fight was Takatarov/Macias. Franklin/Shamrock was not fixed and I don't think anyone has claimed otherwise.

Perhaps Mr 48 can tell us what Tom Kong's status in BAMMA is because it's been alleged in some places he's not with them anymore, I presume because his next fight is outside of BAMMA, and if the public reason for Marquardt being gone from BAMMA is the actual reason he's gone from BAMMA.

Kong is no longer with BAMMA.

Its funny, I was actually promised the exclusive on the whole BAMMA 9/Nate thing from BAMMA themselves. But BAMMA being BAMMA told their publicist to 'leave it till Monday' so Lex (Nate's manager) went public with MMA Fighting. D'Oh!

I did get the first official statement from BAMMA though, and it is what it is. They moved Nate's debut back for the second time, and the guy needs to fight/earn money.

The implication in the press release is that ties were severed purely because of the date changes, the latest of which is being put down to logistics with new TV deals/business developments. What I do know is this; Nate's deal was £20,000 to fight, £20,000 to win...and what I'm hearing unofficially is that they don't have the money.

BAMMA 9 is now officially moved to March 24th. There should be some fights released on Monday. With no Kong, Daley or Nate, it's gonna be interesting to see who they go with. Jimmy Wallhead vs Yoshida maybe? Neil Grove was talking to them about fighting when we were all out in Nottingham before BAMMA 8. Who knows?

1 - Tito Ortiz is because he competed as an "amateur" as he had a college scholarship he would of lost if he competed for money - i think

Correct. He was still enrolled in the NCAA wresting programme during UFC 13, so he was unable to accept money for competing in a sport.

2 - i'll guess Mark Kerr who was defeated by Fujita

Nope!

3 - No clue, i 'm guessing it was in NJPW

Nope!

4 - Don Frye v Mark Hall

Correct!

The other wonky UFC fight was Takatarov/Macias.

...and correct. Both were said to be fixed by John McCarthy - who reffed both - in his autobiography

Bonus mention for Franklin v Ken Shamrock - just didnt seem right

Like Fantab said, the Shamrock/Franklin fight was legit, although lots of Sherdoggers claim that the UFC had Ken throw it, for some reason.

5 - Not sure, going to say its something to do with the special rules that Gracie wanted and everyone he fought would have to agree to?

Nope!

Big John McCarthy has an autobiography? Wow.

Do you know any interesting reads as far as MMA books are concerned? No skill books or anything, obviously, books with some biographical value like John's book could be. I've always wanted to read some about pro wrestlers or something, but it's not like they're for sale over here so never really picked one up yet.

Big John McCarthy has an autobiography? Wow.

Do you know any interesting reads as far as MMA books are concerned? No skill books or anything, obviously, books with some biographical value like John's book could be. I've always wanted to read some about pro wrestlers or something, but it's not like they're for sale over here so never really picked one up yet.

Big John's book is great. I think its on Amazon, not sure (I was sent a copy by the author). Really good insight into his early life and career as a police officer. When it gets to the UFC though, it gets really good. Some great 'back in the day' stories. He's also very honest and doesn't toot his own horn, like a lot of the ghost-written MMA books.

Also try No Holds Barred by Clyde Gentry, A Fighter's Heart by Sam Sheridan and Total MMA by Jon Snowdon.

Jens Pulver's books are amazing and disturbing. The film about his life, Driven, is a great companion.

Don't read Chuck Liddell's book, whatever you do.

I read that rumble weighed 186.5 but was told by a doctor to rehydrate as he would get really sick if he didn't.

Nope. He was 191.5 yesterday morning according to his manager. He was told to rehydrate 3hrs before weigh in. He never got down to 186, but his manager said he could have had he not been ill.

I'm a little doubtful to be honest - I'd hate to be treated by a doctor that clears a guy to fight after hearing that he can't feel his legs hours before a weigh in.

The missing piece of the puzzle is *when* the UFC were informed. If this rehydration did indeed start 3hrs before the weigh in, they should have been informed straight away so that Vitor could also stop his weight cut.

So Johnson needs to pick a side: He's either massively unprofessional, or shady as hell.

Incompetence let on by malfeasance. If he wasn't willing to break the rules he wouldn't have ballooned up to Bob Sapp weight before cutting down.

Well, I can't say much against that point, but I can say this-he's proabably messed up for the last time. He's going to need a spectacular fight and/or win, because if he even Fitch'es Vitor to a boring but dominant win, he's still gone.

G.O.N.E.