Total Championship Wrestling: Tuesday Night Wars

<p></p><div style="text-align:center;"><span>http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Logos/TotalMark.jpg</span></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p> </p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>Mark 14.0</strong></p><p><strong> A Dreaded Return?</strong></p></div><p></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26682" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Everything old is new again.<p> </p><p> That is a lie. You can talk all you want about how everything moves in cycles and everything comes around again. But people don't. People aren't new again. They are simply older.</p><p> </p><p> There has been a surprising backlash to having 48-year old Dread walk out to face Rocky Golden for the TCW World Heavyweight champions. The fans in attendance seemed to like it. But it would seem a lot of people - both fans and those within TCW - are not so thrilled.</p><p> </p><p> I visit a number of different online wrestling forums. Quite a number. I'm a regular - and respect, thank you - post on many. I use them quite as a gauge of the more hardcore fans. I never take the opinions of those on the Internet wrestling community as being representative as TCW or wrestling fans as whole, or as somehow representing the "average casual fan". The fact that you spend time discussing something on-line means you are not, by definition, and "average casual fan" any longer. I didn't expect every fan on those forums to be happy, or even just okay, with the debut of Dread. I didn't expect the amount of outright venom towards it, however.</p><p> </p><p> A lot of that negativity is a reaction to something else, though. When the Total Wrestling preview indicated that Golden would face someone unknown, and "insider sources" let out that the unknown person would be someone not previously on the TCW roster... Well, rumors started. Big names were thrown about - Sean McFly, Dark Angel, Jack Bruce, Remo, Kikkawa, a bunch of the PGHW guys.... The "wrestling media" didn't help, as they threw out some wild rumors... nothing more than "journalists" and "insiders" trying to drum up hits on their websites and entice marks to pay for their "elite" subscriptions. The fans themselves made it worse, going wild with fantasy scenarios based on rumors and innuendo.</p><p> </p><p> So those fans that were convinced that the opponent for Golden was going to be some epic debut for TCW were obviously disappointed with Dread. Former champion and legend he may be... but also 48 years old.</p><p> </p><p> To make it worse, some of these marks are trying to analyze what Dread getting a title shot right out of the gates means. As if his debut moment will somehow define how he will be utilized going forward. And since he basically could barely make a 10-minute match, TCW is obviously stupid for trying to give him another main event run. What? Where do you get that from him having a single match? Wild-ass assumptions. Sometimes its tough to bite my tongue and restrain my fingers when I read crap like that posted....</p><p> </p><p> Its not only a segment of fans that have reacted negatively to the legendary Dread making a return to the confines of Total Championships Wrestling. Though no one has yet voiced their issues directly to me – and why would they - there are apparently quite a number of folks who are not so happy. </p><p> </p><p> Some of the TCW roster feel like American Buffalo was released to make room for Dread. It is nowhere near that simple. But the appearance is there. And it appears that a fairly decent 36-year old full-time wrestler has been swapped for a 48-year old part-time wrestler who is unlikely to go out on the road. The intent is to not have Dread in the ring that often, and his stamina is only part of the reason why. I can say with nearly-absolute certainty that the decision not to resign American Buffalo was made completely separate from any consideration of signing Dread. Some of the workers even know that, but does that change their perception? </p><p> </p><p> Part of the issue is that everyone knows that money was a significant issue as to why American Buffalo was not resigned. Although contract details are not specifically given out, everyone knows that Dread is being paid fairly well. So for those who perceive this as a “swap” of a 36-year old full-time worker for a 48-year old part-time worker, its not even about saving money. </p><p> </p><p> Another interesting factor is that Dread was not “stolen” from Pride Glory Honor Wrestling. After spending much of the past decade with the #2 promotion in Japan, his contract came up. PGHW is facing some similar money issues as TCW has been. Due to that, PGHW was unwilling to offer Dread a guaranteed contract of any length. The rumored offer was a fairly meager pay per appearance deal, which is hardly enticing for a guy who is only likely to wrestle with relative rarity. In large part due to his history with the company, Cornell was willing to offer the 48-year old monster a deal of reasonable length with a solid enough pay. To me, it seems like this deal was as much about “giving back” to someone who helped this company its earliest as it as about the business of the deal. Joel Bryant had a good point when he told me that there were a ton of things Dread could do to help out TCW even if he retires from the ring, even helping train younger wrestlers. </p><p> </p><p> American Buffalo was not a particularly popular figure backstage, but he was also not a pariah. He had his friends, just like anyone in any a wrestling promotion not named Scott Sinclair does. It would seem those friends are not happy. Some of the fans are not happy. I am let wondering if this addition is going to be backfire on TCW. Backfire on Joel and The Boss. A deal made out of good faith and loyalty that is not being looked on as such. Is The Boss better suited to focusing entirely on developing the younger talent, to bringing through new names? Is that the way to move forward without upsetting those who are already here? </p><p> </p><p> Human emotions are a strange things. Difficult to predict. Its times like these which make me happy that its not my job – that Bryant and The Boss have to deal with these issues and concerns. That is up to them to make these decisions and deal with the consequences. It annoys me to no end when people are stupid and refuse to see or accept the obvious logic in front of them. </p><p> </p><p> Just shut up and enjoy that a TCW – and pro wrestling – legend is back inside TCW. Don't worry about what it means or who it “replaces”. </p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>The Total Mark</strong></p><p><strong> Wednesday, Week 2 May 2010</strong></p></div><p></p><p></p><p><strong> </strong></p>

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great Total mark write up Bigpapa. Man do I hate sites that make up stuff just to entice hits etc. It is too often it is taken as fact etc and then becomes a negative perception. TNA suffers a hell of a lot from this as it is en vogue to bash TNA.

I have to say that I like the Total Mark Write ups more and more as a new one is posted. It really sucks the readers in and in my opinion makes this dynasty have a more realistic feel to it so with that said keep up the great work BP!

Thanks. Glad you're enjoying them.

I have to admit that most of these Total Mark segments are even easier for me to write than the Avatar segments were in Generation Supreme. These are almost like a fan analysis with an insiders slant, because the "Mark" really isn't a true part of the backstage environment the way that Avatar became. So the intertwining relationships that make up that environment are looked at in a more general way.

Great Total mark write up Bigpapa. Man do I hate sites that make up stuff just to entice hits etc. It is too often it is taken as fact etc and then becomes a negative perception. TNA suffers a hell of a lot from this as it is en vogue to bash TNA.

Thanks, HH. I love referencing things like that because I'm sure most of us have been sucked in by a false rumor or two in our time as fans. Though in this particular situation, I think the promotion would have to be a good chunk of the blame as they presented the unknown title challenger in such a way that it would engender speculation.

The TNA analogy is interesting. I do think you get into situations where negativity is an intentional approach. So "fans" are basically looking for things to be negative about. Its like forming an opinion and then looking for things to justify it. I would think TCW, at least my vision of it, would have its share of detractors.

I like your vision of TCW; the only pet peeve I have, and markedly, it's not with you, is TCW's product. Your product doesn't fit your vision very well. And I don't mean it the other way around, where your vision doesn't your product well. I like your vision. I don't like the product, which is admitedly, not really your fault.

I like your vision of TCW; the only pet peeve I have, and markedly, it's not with you, is TCW's product. Your product doesn't fit your vision very well. And I don't mean it the other way around, where your vision doesn't your product well. I like your vision. I don't like the product, which is admitedly, not really your fault.

I don't get it. I know you're not talking to me, but...huh?

American Buffalo was released to make room for Dread.

I take back what I said before...I HATE DREAD!

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Logos/ChroniclesoftheWarVessey.jpg

Preview of TCW Presents Total Wrestling

Tuesday, Week 3, May 2010

Time is ticking away. Less than two weeks now before the biggest wrestling show of the year, TCW's Total Mayhem 15. This week's Total Wrestling promises to be a big one.

Last week, TCW legend Dread made an unexpected return, challenging Rocky Golden for the TCW World Heavyweight champion. He was unsuccessful in that challenge, but the formidable veteran remains a massive presence. He will address why he has return to Total Championship Wrestling. In addition, Rocky Golden will answer the challenge thrown down by Rick Law last week over the match stipulation for their world title match at Total Mayhem.

TCW International champion Sammy Bach has been speaking cryptically about his "Fall" for months now. He talked about his "fall children", eventually introducing veteran masked high-flier Acid, who has already made an impact by becoming All Action champion. The next member of Bach's "un-stable" will be introduced this week, joining Bach and Acid in a six-man tag match against The L.A. Connection and James Prudence.

Man wrestling insiders are tipping Sam Keith's twin sons, Greg and Matthew, to be amongst the most impressive of the second generation talents in the business. The two are working as a tag team at the moment, and the two 20-year olds look like they could be a force in TCW's expanding tag team ranks. They will face the sternest of tests, as they take on TCW World Tag Team champions The New Wave in a non-title affair.

What Eddie Peak wants, Eddie Peak gets. That's the way it seems, at least. The man known as "The Predator" was rather upset after a match between his Total Violence Connection and the Freedom Fighters, due to his injured ribs being targeted. Though it was Joey Minnesota who did most of the damage to Peak's already-injured ribs, its RDJ who is taking the blame. Peak demanded and has been given a match against RDJ by the Home Office. These two have had some wild brawls in the past, so this one could be most entertaining. With his massive match against Tommy Cornell coming up inside the Final Reckoning cell, will Ricky Dale Johnson be willing to go all out as he normally would?

You won't want to miss out! Tune in on GNN Total Sports!

Clark Alexander vs Troy Tornado

Joel Bryant vs Koshiro Ino

Benny Benson vs Genghis Rahn

Sammy Bach, Acid & ??? vs The L.A. Connection & James Prudence

The New Wave vs The Keith Boys

Non-Title

Eddie Peak vs Ricky Dale Johnson

I don't get it. I know you're not talking to me, but...huh?

What I mean is, is his product settings. Those are prett set. Right now, it's a performance-based product. As a booker, he has little to no control to how that's set.

Quite frankly, if the product was a performance=popularity product, I doubt Golden would be getitng B's on a constant basis. If TCW is to grow, he's going to need to do around B+ matches with people lower on the crowd, something Golden can't do.

Tornado picks up a win here once he stops playing with the crowd.

Bryant is a tag team guy so he can take the loss here

Benson still has unfinished business with Peak so I think he should go over Rahn who has so far been the lesser guy in their team

Bach and Acid seems stronger that any of their opponents here so i believe they will win regardless of who the mystery guy is.

Non-Title

To me this one is the hardest here. Wave is fighting with Samoans so they should stay strong here but it´s non-title and Keith Boys are skilled enough to win here...Well I go with draw.

I still have hard time predicting against RDJ so I won´t

Non-Title

Non-Title

Non-Title

Non-Title

I approve

Non-Title

What I mean is, is his product settings. Those are prett set. Right now, it's a performance-based product. As a booker, he has little to no control to how that's set.

Quite frankly, if the product was a performance=popularity product, I doubt Golden would be getitng B's on a constant basis. If TCW is to grow, he's going to need to do around B+ matches with people lower on the crowd, something Golden can't do.

More or less it sounds like you're saying Golden doesn't fit the product. Agree on that, but I think Papa's vision fits the product well, he's just had to find ways to protect Golden. Eventually Golden will lose the title, but hotshotting it around would not fit the product either.

Tornado says strong. I always find glee in jobbing Alexander out. Not because I dislike him either. It's like I'm helping him fulfill his destiny, it's almost like he's grateful.

Bryant can put in good performances and do the job at this point. Ino is getting back on track.

I don't think Peak will be happy with Rahn if he loses here. I think Benson could use the win though.

They're on a roll. I'm so excited to see the new member I'm embarrassed to admit it.

Non-Title

The non-title makes it tempting to go with the Keiths, but I'm thinking it's non-title simply because they haven't earned it.

RDJs going to TM to face Cornell in a historic match, Peak is continuing to toy with Benny Benson. RDJ stays strong.

while a big deal somewhere like NYCW, in TCW, Alexander is a jobber

Bryant is there to put over the rising and established talent, of which Ino is

see reason above

Mystery man clause, plus I have personal reasons to always like Bach and Acid ( If only Monkeypox had ever continued that DAVE diary, those reasons would be obvious. ;) )

Non-Title

even non title, the New Wave seem to win

RDJ will probably win this,but I think it's time that Peak started getting his main event push.

Non-Title

All the above for the same reasons D-Mack gave

But as much as Peak would bring something fresh to the main event, I just can't see him going over old hand RDJ here, the best he can hope for is to go all psycho on RDJ and get DQ'd for it.

More or less it sounds like you're saying Golden doesn't fit the product. Agree on that, but I think Papa's vision fits the product well, he's just had to find ways to protect Golden. Eventually Golden will lose the title, but hotshotting it around would not fit the product either.

Well, yes and no. Realism is set at Medium in the default product, and I don't know that my approach takes that into account enough. I try to integrate the idea of realism into the aspects outside the ring, but for the actual matches... I'm not sure...

Golden is not the only guy who really doesn't fit the performance over popularity product. Rick Law is another notable big name who needs some degree of protection. A good chunk of the midard isn't really cut out for this type of promotion either. Building them up or replacing them is really the challenge of TCW.

I have given some thought to adjusting the TCW product to mirror moreso what they had in TEW2008. Performance equaling popularity just seems a bit more like my vision of TCW, but...?

Well, yes and no. Realism is set at Medium in the default product, and I don't know that my approach takes that into account enough. I try to integrate the idea of realism into the aspects outside the ring, but for the actual matches... I'm not sure...

Golden is not the only guy who really doesn't fit the performance over popularity product. Rick Law is another notable big name who needs some degree of protection. A good chunk of the midard isn't really cut out for this type of promotion either. Building them up or replacing them is really the challenge of TCW.

I have given some thought to adjusting the TCW product to mirror moreso what they had in TEW2008. Performance equaling popularity just seems a bit more like my vision of TCW, but...?

There is one WAY to adjust Rick Law, actually. I'm not sure you want to do it, though. As is stand, Rick Law's style should be "Entertainer", which fits him well, but doesn't fit TCW. My guess, is that if he was "Brawler" or "Regular Wrestler", he can work within the style better.

The thing with Rick Law is, you CAN make him work with the current product. You can't say the same thing for Rocky Golden, at least in the short and mid-term.

The thing is, Rick Law is young, AND a lot more skilled. I would put the belt on him instead. Better babyface, better entertainment skills, better... well, almost everything EXCEPT Star Quality, which isn't that low anyway.

However, if you are telling you can't make it with Rick Law, you aren't the Bigpapa42 we have come to know and love. ;)

I haven't recalculated the new values for the new product, but I can say that Rocky Golden's Brawling stat is not exactly shining, and has very weak Technical skills. That hurts him, but more than that, his Perfomance skills hurt him more. Seriously, that B- against Dread could have been a C+.

Two, Bigpapa42, if it were me, I'll take this opportunity to make at least ONE adjustment... just one if it I'm permitted only one. Lower Realism from "Medium" to "Low".

Tradition, Mainstream, Modern... what more do you need? It's old yet new, methodical yet crisp, cutting edge yet old school, familiar yet different. That's how I see it. :)

Firstly - ampulator - lighten up man - this is a diary - it's all about entertaining the readers, not about whether BP tries to get the grades that YOU think he should. Constantly harping on about Rocky is getting seriously boring.

Anyway back on topic (ie the diary itself) - onto predictions:

Squash

Semi squash

By DQ as Genghis and Eddie go psycho on Benny

No idea who the ??? is - but they still have too much star power for the other team

Non-Title

Can't have the champs losing to untested 20 year olds - plus they are my fave team and I'm already crying at them losing at the next PPV to Rhino and Machine (which they will)

DQ is a possibility, but that would make 2 in the show, which I don't see you going for (keeping it realistic), but RDJ can't lose going into the main event with Tommy, so he sneaks a win, despite Eddie being his crazy impressive self

Firstly - ampulator - lighten up man - this is a diary - it's all about entertaining the readers, not about whether BP tries to get the grades that YOU think he should. Constantly harping on about Rocky is getting seriously boring.

Pfft... as If I cared that I bored you. :p *joke* Seriously, I LOVE Bigpapa42's work. It's not him that I'm frustrated with. It's TCW's new product. I hated to say this, but it quite frankly doesn't make a lot of sense.

And it's not so much what grades I think he should be getting as much as the game not bieng cooperative with Bigpapa42. Seriously, a Dread vs. Rocky Golden match CAN WORK to higher grade... just not with TCW's current product.

If it was in USPW or even the SWF, a Dread vs. Rocky Golden match has the potential to a be massive fued.

Archived