NWA 1989: Tradition To Innovation

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Continental Wrestling Federation

The Continental Wrestling Federation is the #7 rated wrestling promotion in the world.

Titles

The CWF Tag Team Titles - began in September held by Jimmy Golden and Brian Lee. The duo managed 1 title defense before losing the belts to Jerry Lynn and Tom Pritchard. This team also managed 1 title defense before losing the belts to the current Champions Robert Fuller and Steve Keirn. Fuller and Keirn have had 1 title defense against Chris Youngblood and Erin O'Grady.

The NWA United States Junior Heavyweight Title - began in September held by Danny Davis. Davis lost the belt in his first defense to Steve Armstrong. Armstrong managed 1 title defense before losing the belt to current Champion Tom Pritchard. Pritchard has managed 5 title defenses against Steve Armstrong, Derrick Dukes and Jimmy Golden.

The CWF Heavyweight Title - began in September held by Dennis Condrey. Condrey lost the belt in his first defense to current Champion Eddie Gilbert. Gilbert has had 1 title defense against Jerry Lynn.

Top Event

CWF Time Crisis - Back in September, CWF headed to the Mid-South Coliseum in the South East area for this pay-per-view event. The event recorded a .01 buyrate. The show was headlined by a tag team bout with Jerry Lynn and Dennis Condrey defeating Jerry Stubbs and Robert Fuller in a 'C' match. The best match of the night was another tag team encounter featuring Eddie Gilbert and Tony Anthony defeating Tom Pritchard and Jimmy Golden in a 'C+' affair.

Latest Event

CWF Insult To Injury - The December pay-per-view was held at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in the South West region. It drew a .02 buyrate. The show was headlined by Jimmy Snuka defeating Tony Anthony in a 'C' rated match. The match of the night was tied between the main event and a match that featured Jerry Stubbs defeating The Iron Sheik in another 'C' rated match.

Main Eventers

Eddie Gilbert

Jimmy Snuka

Tom Pritchard

Roster Changes

Major Signings: Jerry Lynn, Jack Lanza, Bill Watts, Brian Adams, Jimmy Snuka, Vampire Warrior, Rocco Rock, Derrick Dukes, Erin O'Grady, Chris Youngblood, Boris Zhukov, Steve Keirn and Scott Levy.

Major Departures: Sika, Downtown Bruno, Dutch Mantell, Kokina, Ken Wayne, Maxx Payne, Dennis Condrey, Jerry Lynn, The Iron Sheik, Boris Zhukov, Tracy Smothers and Brian Adams.

United States Wrestling Association

The United States Wrestling Association is the #15 rated wrestling promotion in the world.

Titles

The USWA World Tag Team Titles - have been held by Jeff Jarrett and Matt Borne since Week 2, August 1989. They have managed 3 successful defenses against The Studd Stable team of Brian Lee and Robert Fuller.

The USWA Unified World Heavyweight Title - has been held by Jerry Lawler since Week 4, April 1989. He has managed 5 successful title defenses against Steve Keirn, Master of Pain, Robert Fuller, Bill Dundee and Steve Keirn again.

Top Event

USWA Break Like The Wind - Back in October, USWA headed to the Nashville Fairgrounds in the South East area for this event. The show was headlined by a successful USWA Unified World Heavyweight title defense when Jerry Lawler beat Robert Fuller in an 'A' match. This match was also the match of the night.

Latest Event

USWA Wrestle Bowl - The December event was held at the Deep South Arena in the South East region. The show was headlined by a tag team match featuring Kerry Von Erich and Jeff Jarrett defeating Kamala and Bill Dundee in a 'C+' match. The match of the night was Jerry Lawler successfully defending his USWA Unified World Heavyweight Title against Steve Keirn in an 'A' rated match.

Main Eventers

Jerry Lawler

Kerry Von Erich

Kamala The Ugandan Giant

Roster Changes

Major Signings: Les Thatcher, Bull Nakano, Takako Inoue, California Doll and Akira Hokuto.

Major Departures: Dutch Mantell, Mike Awesome, Master Of Pain, Chris Champion, Doug Gilbert and Steve Austin.

OOC Note: Decided to go ahead and post the predictions cards. But if anyone wants to know how anyone or any other promotion did in 1989 that isn't listed feel free to ask.

NWA POWER HOUR*

Friday Week 1 January 1990

Heels Always Listed First

Diamond Studd vs. Flyin' Brian

Sid Vicious vs. Jason Knight

The Iron Sheik vs. Paul Orndorff

Cactus Jack vs. Steve Austin

Dick Slater vs. Scott Steiner

*NOTE: NWA Power Hour predictions WILL count toward the prediction contest. However, it will not be given a full writeup as it is a B-Show.

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING

Saturday Week 1 January 1990

NWA World Tag Team Titles Match: Dick Slater and Dick Murdoch get a shot vs. The Steiner Brothers

The Skyscrapers vs. Road Warriors

Mike Rotundo vs. Junkyard Dog

Bob Orton vs. Eddie Gilbert

Ric Flair and Sting vs. Ricky Steamboat and Paul Orndorff

This is surprisingly difficult to call. A debut match for everyone's favourite drunkard in the post-Jake Roberts world, but a rebound match for Pillman, after the TV Title loss at Starrcade. I'll break ties like a normally do, by going with my Stampede kid.

Not to tear Dan Spivey apart, but I would mark obscenely hard for a Sid Vicious singles run. I'm thinking face turn, and becoming Steamer's "equalizer". I'm envisioning 4 powerbombs for the Four Horsemen... EACH!

MR. WONDERFUL~!

Nice to see a wholesome young man like this Steve Austin get a chance to appear on the Power Hour. I take it that he's playing a babyface; does this mean we won't have 'Stunning' Steve?

A good B-show main event, Steiner picks up the obvious victory...

NWA World Tag Team Titles Match: Dick Slater and Dick Murdoch get a shot vs. The Steiner Brothers

... and then makes it a particularily bad week for Slater. The anticipation for the Steiner/Road Warrior match is building steam. I love that you're drawing it out. It's going to be straight up sexy when that match finally happens.

Hey, remember when I said that stuff about a Sid babyface turn, and also that stuff about building steam for the Steiners/Road Warriors? Yeah. This.

Rotundo looks to return to relevance here, as JYD returns to his role as a JTTS. With your collection of heel managers and factions, Rotundo may be an excellent candidate for a "hottest free agent" storyline.

Gilbert bounces back from the PPV loss. He's definitely not finished with Funk.

I have never kept it a secret that I love the Steamer, but when he's across the ring from Ric Flair and Sting, all the Mr. Wonderfuls in the world can't help him. This should be an outstanding match.

NWA POWER HOUR*

2nd toughest match of this term to call.

Just because Jack is on a solid rise and Austin is pretty much just debuting.

Wow, Slater gets to job to Scott two shows in a row!

Tough match... Sid is gonna be on a rise, but the Warriors will need to get some serious wins to match up to the Steiners soon. Go with the Scrapers just to keep the story moving with Ellering yelling at them.

We dont know much about the Diamond Studd yet, except what we know he becomes... But I'm not breaking kayfabe... Pillman goes over this no-namer

Squash if Ive ever seen one

Orndorff is the jobber to the main event stars, where as Sheik is just jobber to regular stars

This long blond haired pretty boy with ugly wrerstling tights doesn't stand a chance against cactus jack

My heart really wants to put Dick Slater, but my brain says not a chance

Again, I'd love to go with the dirty dicks, but my brain wins again

could go either way...but Warriors are the warriors

Rotundo needs to keep himself in a say TV title picture... A win over the Dog can do that

This is another one, where my Brain wins out over my heart in the prediction

The Horsemen make their big return... We get some explanation from Flair & Sting and Mr. Wonderful takes the fall

Long time reader first time poster love the story. I wouldnt have ever imagined the Sting turn it might be like Hogan turning in 96 for its OMG factor. Sadly I had hoped the fourth would be Flair so we can have Flair-Steamboat again. But really a great diary it is easily one of my favourites along with OldSchool's WWWF diary.

NWA POWER HOUR

Flyin Brian will short after the Diamond Studd cheats his way to victory.

SQUASH! NUFF Said

Orndorff with push vs over the hill sheik easy pick

Austin will shine but not until after a heel turn *wink wink*

Hardest to pick but i think Dirty Dick will pick up the win before losing in the title match probnably with the help of Murdoch

Great match I hope to see an angle out of this but the Steiners arent losing tonite

Road Warriors stay hot with this win

There's still lots to do with Mike well not not much for JYD who is fast becoming a JTTS

Eddie needs the win on this night.

Horseman for the win

What is going on in Japan, Calgary, and World Class if their still around if wouldn't mind sharing.

NWA POWER HOUR*

This could go either way but I go with more established guy

Squash

Has Sheik actually won a match yet?

Austin isn´t yet snywhere near the top so he jobs here

No question about this one

No way for Steiners to lose this one

Skyscrapers had their change so maybe it´s Warrior´s turn now

JYD haven´t won much...

...And same goes for Orton

Unlikely, but I feel that faces need a clear win over Horseman in order to establish some kind of resistance

NWA POWER HOUR*

Unless this is the start of some ill fated mini-feud I ee no logic in introducing Diamond Stud at Starrcade then jobbing him out first match on power hour

But an Austin win would make an interesting angle start

Make them look like a threat...or at the very least Steiner gets jumped after the match.

*NOTE: NWA Power Hour predictions WILL count toward the prediction contest. However, it will not be given a full writeup as it is a B-Show.

Quote:

I already turn one of these guys in my diary but Im wondering if you have a similar plan for sid or dan

Ric Flair and Sting vs. Ricky Steamboat and Paul Orndorff- DRAW

NWA POWER HOUR

A new year and a win for the newest kid in town. Not a foregone conclusion though by any stretch of the imagination.

I see where Greg's coming from and am enclined to agree - I think you're short of legitimate face firepower and while I still think an eventual Lex turn is in the works, Sid will do the job with aplomb in the short-term.

Another 1985 main event right here! Orndorff is one of your lead faces. Sheik? Not so much...

Bang! Bang! That no-name Steve Austin's going to be eating a double arm DDT

Is there no light at the end of Dick Slater's plummeting tunnel of darkness? I can see the logic in Greg's thoughts but there's too many heels taking wins and the B-shows don't allow enough plot development to justify a shock win.

...apparently so! It's the Hardliners! Nice pick-up with Murdoch, they've still not got a cat in hell's chance though.

Time for the Warriors to be built up by overcoming the only team ever to dominate them... I say Sid eats the loss and Spivey turns on him.

Rotundo is more valuable than JYD, although I don't know where either are going at the moment. Perhaps it's time for Captain Mike to reform the Varsity Club and try to take the tag titles from those treachorous Steiners!

Gilbert to pick up the win over Terry's stablemate.

Great, great match-up but the timing's all wrong for Ricky and Paul to have a hope here. New year, new faction - they've got to show how dominant they are. Can nobody stop the Four Horsemen?

<p>NWA POWER HOUR</p><p>

Friday Week 1 January 1990</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Diamond Studd</strong> vs. Flyin' Brian</p><p>

<strong>Sid Vicious</strong> vs. Jason Knight</p><p>

The Iron Sheik vs.<strong> Paul Orndorff</strong></p><p>

<strong>Cactus Jack</strong> vs. Steve Austin</p><p>

Dick Slater vs. <strong>Scott Steiner</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING</p><p>

Saturday Week 1 January 1990</p><p> </p><p>

NWA World Tag Team Titles Match: Dick Slater and Dick Murdoch get a shot vs. <strong>The Steiner Brothers</strong></p><p>

The Skyscrapers vs. <strong>Road Warriors</strong></p><p>

<strong>Mike Rotundo</strong> vs. Junkyard Dog</p><p>

Bob Orton vs. <strong>Eddie Gilbert</strong></p><p>

<strong>Ric Flair and Sting</strong> vs. Ricky Steamboat and Paul Orndorff</p>

WRESTLING OBSERVER NEWSLETTER

Backstage News/Rumours

Possible Spoilers Involved

NWA Section

-Rumour has it that Flyin' Brian has failed several drug tests in recent weeks. This is the reason for his depush in the NWA from being a top TV title contender to losing several matches in a row.

-Rumour also has it that following Starrcade several other members of the roster failed drug tests for various drugs including steroids and some other heavy and soft drugs. But it also seems that one man has reformed from the drug-taking lifestyle. That's all we've heard. A name has not been mentioned.

-We can confirm that Tommy Young and Lex Luger have been seen spending time together outside of the NWA ring and locker room. The two seem to have bonded. They were seen in New York birdwatching with all the pigeons.

-Before the last NWA World Championship Wrestling show in December, Gary Hart was seen arguing with a fan outside the arena. Words got heated and nearly came to blows before security seperated the two.

time for The Studd to move up a rung on the ladder.

enjoyed the spotlight view on some of the other federations running around in 1989

This is surprisingly difficult to call. A debut match for everyone's favourite drunkard in the post-Jake Roberts world, but a rebound match for Pillman, after the TV Title loss at Starrcade. I'll break ties like a normally do, by going with my Stampede kid.

Rumour has it that Flyin' Brian has failed several drug tests in recent weeks. This is the reason for his depush in the NWA from being a top TV title contender to losing several matches in a row.

Based on this "rumour", I'm going to switch over to the Diamond Studd. Drunky beats druggy.

Based on this "rumour", I'm going to switch over to the Diamond Studd. Drunky beats druggy.

I agree....

But as a firm believer in kayfabe, I would never have found out this info and just still expect Pillman to win, because he is a better wrestler than Diamond Studd ;-)

24 Hour Warning for Predictions for NWA Power Hour and World Championship Wrestling! I have received predictions so far from:

BHK1978

Greg McNeish

Beejus

Oldschool

rvdjrv2002

Zergon

edisraw

Lexa90

Ritchardo

smurphy1014

olympia

Thank you to everyone who has predicted so far!

The CWF doesn't really like their champions to hold onto the titles for any length of time.:D

I think a lot of that may have to do with some of their roster turnover. Though I do have a working agreement with them.

Long time reader first time poster love the story. I wouldnt have ever imagined the Sting turn it might be like Hogan turning in 96 for its OMG factor. Sadly I had hoped the fourth would be Flair so we can have Flair-Steamboat again. But really a great diary it is easily one of my favourites along with OldSchool's WWWF diary.

What is going on in Japan, Calgary, and World Class if their still around if wouldn't mind sharing.

First of all, I am glad to have you as both a reader and now a poster. Always good to have another within the prediction rankings. The Sting turn definitely caught everyone off-guard but that was exactly what it was supposed to do. As far as the fourth Horseman being Ric Flair, I just couldn't have a Horsemen unit without either Flair or Arn Anderson. I couldn't get Anderson from the WWF so Flair stepped in as the fourth man.

The Japan, Calgary and World Class will hopefully be posted sometime today. As far as Japan goes, I will review the AJPW and NJPW. I hope that's alright.

enjoyed the spotlight view on some of the other federations running around in 1989

I hope that the spotlight was something that everyone enjoyed. I figure I might do them every 6 months. Either 6 months or a year. I am still trying to decide which.

I agree....

But as a firm believer in kayfabe, I would never have found out this info and just still expect Pillman to win, because he is a better wrestler than Diamond Studd ;-)

I hope you guys enjoyed the Wrestling Observer Newsletter. I figure I will do one each month to give the goings on within the NWA backstage area. Of course no one is forced to read them. ;) But it gives me a good place to talk about those backstage incidents that happen every so often.

Amazing Starrcade, my friend! Great Flair turn as well...I guess he really is the dirtiest player in the game...whooo!

NWA POWER HOUR

Having just defeated The Skyscrapers, Scott and Rick aren't going to lose to Dick Slater!

Can't pick against them I'm afraid!

Haven't seen Rotundo too much as of late so a good victory over JYD can bring him back into the fold.

Eddie's the man on form whereas Bob seems to be giving people the rub.

The Four Horsemen have got to win this one to cement their place as top dogs...whoooo!

New Japan Pro Wrestling

New Japan Pro Wrestling is the #3 rated wrestling promotion in the world.

Titles

The IWGP Junior Title - has changed hands several times within the last few months. It began in September held by Naoki Sano. He lost it on the first defense to Norio Honaga. Honaga managed 1 defense before losing it to The Great Sasuke. Sasuke had 11 title defenses before he lost the belt to Jushin Thunder Liger. Liger's second reign overall with the belt was ended by Osamu Matsuda on his first defense. Matsuda has had two title defenses so far, besting Negro Casas and Jushin Thunder Liger.

The IWGP Tag Team Titles - have also changed hands several times since September. They began September in the hands of Riki Choshu and Takashi Iizuka. They had 8 title defenses before they were bested by Negro Casas and Doug Gilbert. Casas and Gilbert lost the belts on their first defense to Osamu Matsuda and Kengo Kimura. They also lost the belts on their first defense to Akira Maeda and Steve Williams. Maeda and Williams are the current champs with one title defense against Negro Casas and Doug Gilbert.

The IWGP Heavyweight Title - has only had two holders so far. It began in September held by Riki Choshu. Choshu managed 9 title defenses before losing the belt to Big Van Vader. Vader's third reign has had 1 title defense against Riki Choshu.

Top Event

NJPW Crystal Attack Plan - Back in September, NJPW headed to the Osaka Castle Hall in the Kinki area for this event. The show was headlined by a successful IWGP Heavyweight Title defense by Riki Choshu against Hiroshi Hase in an 'A' match. This match was also the match of the night tied with a match between Nobuhiko Takada and The Great Muta where Takada beat Muta.

Latest Event

NJPW Dragon Tornado - The December event was held at the Sapporo Dome in the Hokkaido region. The show was headlined by a successful IWGP Heavyweight Title defense by Big Van Vader against Riki Choshu. The match was also the match of the night.

Main Eventers

Antonio Inoki

Bam Bam Bigelow

Big Van Vader

Hiroshi Hase

Masa Chono

Masa Saito

Nobuhiko Takada

Riki Choshu

Tatsumi Fujinami

Roster Changes

Major Signings: Nobuhiko Takada, The Great Sasuke, Akira Maeda, Hiro Saito, Go Ito, Hector Guerrero, Dutch Mantell, Dave Finlay, Adrian Street, Yokozuna, Ken Wayne, Tommy Dreamer, Doug Gilbert, Maxx Payne, Steve Blackman, B. Brian Blair, Big Titan, Johnny Ace, Blackjack Mulligan, Jerry Lynn, Bam Bam Bigelow, Scott Norton, Tracy Smothers, Brian Adams, Brian Knobbs and Dustin Rhodes.

Major Departures: Black Cat, Bob Yazawa, Owen Hart, Steve Williams, Bam Bam Bigelow, Brad Rheingans, Scott Norton, Wayne Bloom, Pegasus Kid and Buzz Sawyer.

All Japan Pro Wrestling

All Japan Pro Wrestling is the #4 rated wrestling promotion in the world.

Titles

The AJPW Unified World Tag Team Titles - have only be held by one tag team: Jumbo Tsuruta and Yoshiaki Yatsu. They have made 6 title defenses against such teams as Bam Bam Bigelow and Abdullah The Butcher and The Fantastics.

The AJPW Triple Crown Title - has been held by one person since September. That man is Genichiro Tenryu. Has had 10 title defenses against such wrestlers as Andre The Giant, Toshiaki Kawada, Stan Hansen and Mitsuharu Misawa.

Top Event

AJPW Torment Battle - Back in October, AJPW headed to the Honshu Arena in the Tohoku area for this event. The show was headlined by a successful AJPW Triple Crown Title defense by Genichiro Tenryu against Andre The Giant in a 'B+' match. This match of the night was Toshiaki Kawada defeating Kenta Kobashi in an 'A' match.

Latest Event

AJPW Valour Formation - The November event was held at the Matsuyama City Community Center in the Shikoku region. The show was headlined by a successful AJPW Triple Crown Title defense by Genichiro Tenryu against Stan Hansen in a 'B+' match. The match was also the match of the night tied with the semi main event where Kenta Kobashi defeated Mitshuharu Misawa in a 'B+' match.

Main Eventers

Andre The Giant

Genichiro Tenryu

Kenta Kobashi

Mitshuharu Misawa

Stan Hansen

Toshiaki Kawada

Roster Changes

Major Signings: Ultimo Dragon, Masakatsu Funaki, Gary Albright, Adrian Street and Richard Slinger.

Major Departures: Akihiko Fukuda, Davey Boy Smith, Brian Knobbs and Ultimo Dragon.

Calgary Stampede Wrestling

Calgary Stampede Wrestling is the #12 rated wrestling promotion in the world.

Titles

The Stampede British Commonwealth Title - has only been held by one person thus far: Gama Singh. Singh has had 6 title defenses against such wrestlers as Johnny Smith and Vampiro.

The Stampede International Tag Team Titles - have been held by Bob Brown and Kerry Brown since September. They have managed 3 title defenses so far. They have defended the belt against such wrestlers as Owen Hart and Gama Singh, Vampiro and Larry Cameron and Chris Benoit and Carl Ouelette.

The Stampede North American Heavyweight Title - began in the hands of Larry Cameron. He managed 1 title defense before losing the belt to Bob Brown. Brown has had 2 title defenses, defeating Don Muraco and Gama Singh.

Top Event

Stampede International (Dec) - In December, CSW headed to the Clare Drake Arena in the Prairies area for this event. The show was headlined by a successful Stampede North American title defense by Bob Brown over Gama Singh in a 'C' match. The match of the night was the semi main event where Owen Hart and Don Muraco defeated George Wells and Chris Benoit in a 'B' match.

Latest Event

Stampede International (Dec) - In December, CSW headed to the Clare Drake Arena in the Prairies area for this event. The show was headlined by a successful Stampede North American title defense by Bob Brown over Gama Singh in a 'C' match. The match of the night was the semi main event where Owen Hart and Don Muraco defeated George Wells and Chris Benoit in a 'B' match.

Main Eventers

Bob Brown

Davey Boy Smith

Don Muraco

Owen Hart

Roster Changes

Major Signings: Joe Blanchard, Jimmy Del Ray, Luna Vachon, Billy Jack Haynes, George Wells, Carl Ouelette, Tommy Rogers and Steve Simpson

Major Departures: Gary Albright, Dynamite Kid and Steve Blackman.

World Class Championship Wrestling

World Class Championship Wrestling is the #10 rated wrestling promotion in the world.

Titles

The WCCW World 6 Man Tag Team Titles - were only held by Jeff Jarrett, Chris Adams and Dustin Rhodes. They had 3 title defenses so far against such wrestlers as Bill Dundee, Chris Youngblood and Robert Fuller.

The WCCW World Tag Team Titles - were held at the beginning by Jeff Jarrett and Matt Borne. They managed 1 title defense before losing the belts to current champions: Robert Fuller and Bill Dundee. They have had 0 title defenses.

The WCCW World Heavyweight Title - has only been held by one man: Jerry Lawler. Lawler has defended the belt against such wrestlers as Kerry Von Erich and Kevin Von Erich.

Top Event

WCCW Thanks Giving Star Wars 1989 - In November, WCCW headed to the Autry Court in the Mid South area for this event. The show was headlined by a successful WCCW World Heavyweight title defense by Jerry Lawler against Kevin Von Erich in a 'B' match. This match was also the match of the night.

Latest Event

WCCW World Title Tournament - In December, CSW headed to the Freeman Coliseum in the Mid South area for this event. The show was headlined by a 6 man tag featuring Al Perez, Eric Embry and Jimmy Funk defeating Kerry Von Erich, Bill Dundee and Ron Starr in a 'B-' match. The match of the night was the semi main event where Jerry Lawler successfully defended his WCCW World Heavyweight Title against Kevin Von Erich in a 'B' match.

Main Eventers

Jerry Lawler

Kerry Von Erich

Al Perez

Samu

Roster Changes

Major Signings: None.

Major Departures: Brian Adias, Billy Joe Travis, Sweet Georgia Brown, Robert Gibson, Ricky Morton, John Tatum, Fatu and Stunning Steve Williams.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/WCW.jpg

Attendance: 3,493

Overall Rating: B

TV Rating: 2.42

There was a feeling that a number of the angles used did not reach the standards set by the in-ring action.

This show can be considered a success, it should have increased our popularity.

The Power Hour

In an extremely short match, Diamond Studd defeated Flyin' Brian in 4:12 by pinfall with a Diamond Death Drop...D-

In an extremely short match, Sid Vicious defeated Jason Knight in 2:09 by pinfall with a Choke Slam...C-

In an extremely short match, Paul Orndorff defeated The Iron Sheik in 1:32 by pinfall...C-

In an extremely short match, Cactus Jack defeated Steve Austin in 3:16 by pinfall with a Bang Bang Elbow...B-

In a bout that featured great action and a good crowd, Scott Steiner defeated Dick Slater in 8:35 by pinfall with a Frankensteiner...B

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/NWA-1.jpg

Pre Show: In an extremely short match, The Gravedigger defeated Bobby Eaton in 4:46 by pinfall with a Tombstone...C

Pre Show: In an extremely short match, The Iron Sheik defeated Flyin' Brian in 4:42 by submission with a Camel Clutch...D

[it was one of the biggest events in the history of the NWA. It featured one of the greatest NWA title matches of all time. It...]

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx181/jhdTEW/Logos/StarrcadeLogo4.jpg

[...was Starrcade 1989! A night that saw the fourth Horsemen revealed as none other than the bitter enemy: Ric Flair! It also saw Ricky Steamboat win the United States Heavyweight Title by defeating Lex Luger. What can happen tonight on the heels of that great pay-per-view? Find out as we head to World Championship Wrestling!]

[We are here within the Agganis Arena in the backyard of some other wrestling promotion: Boston, Mass! We are the NWA and this is World Championship Wrestling! Tonight, we will see The Steiner Brothers defend their NWA World Tag Team Titles against the team of Dick Slater and Dick Murdoch. We will also see The Skyscrapers take on The Road Warriors and in our main event, Ric Flair and Sting will team up to take on Ricky Steamboat and Paul Orndorff! The sound of trumpets brings the crowd to their feet with boos this week! The curtains part...]

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/ricflairc.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/sting6.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/luger.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/barrywindham2.jpg

[...and all Four Horsemen step out from the back together. Only one of them has gold around his waist and that is the NWA World Heavyweight Champion 'The Nature Boy' Ric Flair. Sting follows behind him with Lex Luger and Barry Windham side-by-side taking up the rear. They enter the ring and Ric has a microphone. He pauses and holds up four fingers, releasing a 'Whooooooo!'...]

Ric Flair

"First of all, you people need to shut your mouths if you want to hear what I have to say! That's right, fat boy, keep it shut! I've won more World Titles than you've had women. Whooooo."

[...The crowd just increases their booing...]

Ric Flair

"Last Sunday night, the wrestling world saw one of the best matches in the history of professional wrestling when I took on this man: Sting. You see, that match had a little special stipulation. That match was for the leadership within the Four Horsemen. I came away with the win but Sting shouldn't feel too bad losing to me. After all, I am the Nature Boy. Whooooo. That night would have been a victory for the Four Horsemen no matter who won. Now these four men at my side are men who I know can handle the Horsemen lifestyle. That means limousine riding. That means learjet flying. That means kissing all the pretty women out there that truthfully don't deserve us but need an opportunity to be with a real man. That also means being sons of guns! Whoooooo! Now, we have to move on to the Clash of the Champions where I am going to face an as yet unnamed opponent. I am opening the contract to anyone who wants to take it. I don't care who you are or what your name is because if this man right here can't beat me then there is no one in this company that can defeat the Nature Boy! Whoooo! As for those of you who want to know why I did it? Why Ric Flair why? It's really this simple: I wanted to surround myself with the best talent this company has to offer. These three men standing around me are the best in this business. I am proud to see the three of them holding up the four fingers of greatness. Whoooo."

Sting

"Ric, you gave me one hell of a match last Sunday. We had everyone here sitting on the edge of their seats but in the end you were the better man on that night. Now I have to set my sights forward and just like you I am opening up an open contract for the Clash. If anyone in this company wants to step forward and have the guts to face me in a match then just approach me and let me know. Lex, I think you have something to say."

Lex Luger

"Yes, that's right, Sting. First of all, it is an honour to be able to hold up these four fingers and be surrounded by the best talent in this company. Ricky Steamboat, you got real lucky this past Sunday. I slipped on a banana peel and lost my United States Heavyweight Title. But you're out of the picture for me right now. It has been decided that Barry Windham and myself are going to be stepping in the ring against the Steiner Brothers to win those coveted NWA World Tag Team Titles. Whether it's the Steiner Brothers or whether it's Dick Slater and Dick Murdoch, it doesn't matter to us. We'll take on and take out all comers, right, Barry?"

Barry Windham

"That's right, Lex. Tonight, the Steiner Brothers and Slater and Murdoch fight to see who is going to lose those belts to the Horsemen. Personally, I hope it's those Steiner punks but Slater and Murdoch will work too. The Horsemen are the cream that always rise to the top and we're going to prove that each and every night."

[...All four men raise four fingers as the sound of horses clomping and the Four Horsemen music kicks up. They head toward the back.]

Match #1

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/dickslater.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/dickmurdoch.jpg vs. http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/RickSteiner3.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/ScottSteiner22.jpg w/ http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/missyhyatt.jpg

NWA World Tag Team Titles Match

Dick Slater and Dick Murdoch get a shot vs. The Steiner Brothers

[speaking of the NWA World Tag Team Title match. It was the opening match here on World Championship Wrestling and it was a pretty short match all things considered. Slater and Murdoch had an advantage in the beginning but then Rick was tagged in and he hit both of them with the Steinerline! He gave Slater an overhead belly-to-belly suplex! He tagged Scott back in and somehow he lifted Dick Murdoch on his shoulders as he stood in the corner -- Steiner DDT! Scott made the cover: 1 -- 2 -- 3!]

Winners: The Steiner Brothers (Via Pinfall @ 3:54)

Match Rating: B-

[...The Steiner Brothers were handed their belts and the crowd cheered. But boos rang out as two figures came running in the ring...]

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/luger.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/barrywindham2.jpg

[...The Steiner Brothers turned and both of them were caught in the gut with baseball bat shots! Lex Luger broke his baseball bat over the back of Rick Steiner! Rick fell to the mat and Missy Hyatt stood at ringside looking on in horror! Barry Windham began choking out Scott Steiner with his baseball bat! Scott tried to fight him off but fell to his knees when Luger punched him in the gut! The Steiner Brothers were laid out on the mat and Luger and Windham slid the belts over them both. They held up four fingers and smirked.]

[The cameras were focused in on the beautiful United States Heavyweight title belt next. Then it pulled out to reveal...]

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/RickySteamboat3.jpg

[...Ricky 'The Dragon' Steamboat standing within the NWA interview area with the NWA logo behind him...]

Ricky Steamboat

"First of all, Ric Flair, I am ashamed and disappointed in you. That you would join forces with those other three men? I thought I knew you better than that. Obviously I didn't. Now, I am very proud to be wearing this NWA United States Heavyweight Title and I am going to be a fighting Champion. Title shots will be open to whoever wants one because I always have the thousands of Dragons out within the arena. With all of those people by my side then how could I ever lose? Remember when you face the Dragon, you're going to get burned."

[...Ricky looked to the camera and we headed back to ringside.]

[The cameras focused around ringside and the fans were shocked to see someone sitting within the front row...]

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/loualbano.jpg

[...It's Captain Lou Albano! He ignored the fans as he focused on the ring. Wonder what he is doing here?]

Match #2

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/SidVicious.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/danspivey2.jpg w/ http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/theadorerlong.jpg vs. http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/animal3.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/hawk3.jpg w/ http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/paulellering.jpg

[Our second match here on World Championship Wrestling and our second tag team encounter. These two have battled several times before within the past with the Skyscrapers getting the best of the Road Warriors time and time again. The Road Warriors along with Paul Ellering had something to prove within this match and they showed it. They showed the old dominance that they showed in the 1980's. Animal showed his strength as he brought Sid Vicious down with a big press slam! Hawk hit Dan Spivey with a flying shoulderblock. The Skyscrapers also showed some strength with Sid hitting Animal with a sidewalk slam and Spivey dropping Hawk with a big boot. In the end, after a pier 4 brawl, Dan Spivey was lifted on Animal's shoulders. Hawk went to the top turnbuckle -- Doomsday Device! Hawk made a cover: 1 -- 2 -- 3!]

Winners: The Road Warriors (Via Pinfall @ 6:08)

Match Rating: B

[...Sid Vicious and Theodore R. Long entered the ring after the Road Warriors and Paul Ellering left. Sid looked down at Dan Spivey and shook his head. He helped his partner to his feet and over to the ropes and then stepped back -- big boot! Sid hit a big boot to the back of the head and Spivey fell outside the ring. What is Sid doing to his partner??? Sid Vicious exits the ring and puts the boots to Dan Spivey! Guess this partnership is over, huh? Theodore R. Long stays beside Sid egging him on. Sid and Long finally leave a crumpled Dan Spivey down at ringside.]

[backstage here at the Agganis Arena, the cameras follow a figure...walking!...]

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/garyhart.jpg

[...The figure is revealed to be Gary Hart. Gary continues his steps and pauses for a moment. When he pauses, a door opens and hits him in the back of the head knocking him down! The camera focuses in on the man who opened the door...]

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/JunkYardDog.jpg

[...Junkyard Dog! JYD shrugs his shoulders and closes the door as he walks off in the opposite direction.]

[The camera moves to another area backstage where...]

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/ricflairc.jpg

[...Ric Flair is seen walking! Ric turns a corner and comes face-to-face with...]

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/eddiegilbert-1.jpg

[...Eddie Gilbert? Ric tries to walk around him but Eddie steps into his path...]

Eddie Gilbert

"Ric, what were you doing last Sunday night? I just don't get it. You trained me, Ric. You showed me your Figure 4 Leglock. I still use it to this day. What's wrong with you?"

[...Ric reaches out and knocks the baseball cap off Eddie Gilbert's head...]

Ric Flair

"You don't get to talk to me like that, boy. Do you know who I am? I'm the NWA World Heavyweight Champion. That means I'm the best around and I don't answer to punks like you."

[...Ric tried to step around Eddie but Eddie threw a punch! Ric fired back with a chop and the two began brawling until the fun police stepped in and broke things up.]

Match #3

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/mikerotundo.jpg vs. http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/JunkYardDog.jpg

[This was a pretty decent match though the announcers focused on the incident betwen Ric Flair and Eddie Gilbert just a few minutes before the match. Rotundo tried a lot of amateur wrestling moves but he was definitely outweighed by the JYD and that made those moves really difficult to accomplish. JYD got Rotundo up for the Big Thump but Rotundo managed to wiggle out of it and he shoved JYD chest-first into the corner. JYD struggled to regain some momentum and Rotundo showed some strength when he got JYD up in the Airplane Spin! Rotundo dropped JYD and made a cover: 1 -- 2 -- 3!]

Winner: Mike Rotundo (Via Pinfall @ 5:14)

[...When the match was over, Rotundo asked for a microphone as JYD rolled out of the ring...]

Mike Rotundo

"I know that each and every one of you has been clamoring to see the man from Syracuse and I haven't been around too much. But now I am back and in a big way as you saw tonight when I beat that dog in the center of the ring. But now I am on to bigger and better things. The best wrestler from Syracuse deserves a title shot and I am going to get one. Ricky Steamboat, you said you are going to be a fighting Champion? I am going to test that theory as I am challenging you to a match at the Clash of the Champions this month. Are you willing to prove that you're a fighting Champion or should we change the Dragon to something a little more appropriate, like the chicken? Once you step in this ring, though, you're going to find out what Junkyard Dog just found out: you're in Orange Country."

[...Rotundo dropped the microphone to boos from the crowd and slipped out of the ring. Mike Rotundo vs. Ricky Steamboat for the NWA United States Heavyweight Title? Sounds good to me!]

Match #4

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/boborton.jpg vs. http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/eddiegilbert-1.jpg w/ http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/missyhyatt.jpg

[Our next match was another pretty good one as Eddie Gilbert came out along with Missy Hyatt to stand at ringside against the 'Cowboy' Bob Orton, Jr. Orton brought a bullrope and positioned it within his corner before the bell sounded. The crowd spent some time, once again, talking about the argument between Eddie Gilbert and Ric Flair. Gilbert focused in on the knee of Orton early on in this match. He is obviously trying to show Ric Flair exactly what he learned from him, right? Gilbert gave a swift kick to the knee of Orton during the middle section of the match but missed when he tried a flying elbow from the top turnbuckle...]

[...Orton took over control and choked Gilbert in the corner while Missy Hyatt screamed, looking worried at ringside. Orton gave Gilbert a couple of knee shots to the gut and shortly after he sent Gilbert into the corner squashing the referee in the process with both Gilbert and a corner clothesline. With the referee down, Orton grabbed the bullrope he brought down and started choking Gilbert with it! The crowd booed at this blatant rulebreaking by Bob Orton, Jr! Orton sent the bullrope out of the ring before the referee recovered and then he lifted Gilbert onto the turnbuckle. Orton climbed up, setting up Gilbert for the Superplex. Gilbert managed a kick to the knee with the crowd getting behind him! Another kick to the knee brought Orton down onto his back! Gilbert dropped down holding his throat for a moment but he moved Orton to the center of the ring and then locked on the Figure 4 Leglock! Orton struggled, trying to reverse the hold but Eddie had it cinched on tight! Eventually Orton had to give up in the hold.]

Winner: Eddie Gilbert (Via Submission @ 10:30)

Match #5

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/ricflairc.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/sting6.jpg vs. http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/RickySteamboat3.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/PaulOrndorff4.jpg

[it's main event time and during the entrances the crowd was so obviously behind Steamboat and Orndorff tonight. Flair and Sting looked across holding up four fingers. Steamboat and Orndorff just shook their heads. Steamboat and Sting started the match out and Steamboat showed his crisp arm drags several times during the early going. He focused on the arm of the man called Sting with an armbar. Sting fought his way to his feet and grabbed Steamboat by the hair pulling him back in the corner. The referee called for a break but both sides were reluctant to do so. Steamboat finally released the armbar and Sting gave a cheap shot punch to the face! The crowd booed as Sting started to take control of the match. Sting whipped Steamboat into the turnbuckle hard and then bounced off the ropes -- one handed bulldog! The crowd booed and Sting tagged in Flair. Flair came in and brought Steamboat into the corner -- knife edge chop! Another! Another! Ric pulled Steamboat out of the corner and grabbed the leg, raising him up -- Shinbreaker! Steamboat falls to the mat grabbing his leg. Flair bounced off the ropes -- Kneedrop -- Missed! Steamboat rolled out of the way! He crawls over to the corner and tags in Orndorff...]

[...Orndorff steps in and clotheslines Flair down to the mat! Another clothesline! Another one! Sting comes in and he gets caught in a scoop powerslam! Flair comes running over -- military press slam! Flair is dropped to the mat and he rolls out of the ring with Sting. Flair and Sting talk to one another for a few moments but Flair rolls back in before the ten count. Flair begs off of Orndorff. Orndorff moves over and Flair pokes him in the eye! Flair makes the quick tag to Sting, who comes in the ring -- scoop powerslam! The second one by Orndorff! Orndorff makes the cover: 1 -- 2 -- Kickout! Orndorff gets to his feet and drags Sting over to the corner tagging out to Steamboat. No double-team from Steamboat and Orndorff and they seem to have no tag chemistry at all. Steamboat body slams Sting down to the mat and then lifts him up into the corner and gives Sting his own chops! Sting ducks a chop and turns Steamboat into the corner! Sting begins laying down the punches! He pulls Steamboat out and hooks him -- hanging vertical suplex! Sting moves over and tags out to Ric Flair. Sting sends Steamboat to the ropes and drops down. Steamboat jumps over and is taken down by a chop from Flair!...]

[...Steamboat turned into the face-in-peril for the next several minutes with Flair and Sting double-teaming him at every turn. Steamboat is kept in Flair and Sting's corner and Orndorff is taunted in several times so that Flair and Sting can continue the double-teams. Steamboat was locked in a Sleeperhold in the center of the ring by Flair and he dropped down toward the mat. The crowd tried to get behind the Dragon, the United States Heavyweight Champion. Flair dropped him down to the mat, holding onto the Sleeperhold. But the crowd got Steamboat struggling and fighting to his feet. He grabbed Flair -- jawbreaker! Both men fall to the mat and begin struggling toward their corners. Flair gets the tag to Sting and Steamboat gets the tag to Orndorff!...]

[...Orndorff with a big clothesline on Sting! He picks up Sting and slips behind him: German Suplex! The throw sends Sting halfway across the ring! Sting makes a quick tag as he lands in his corner and Flair comes in! Flair moves over and chops the chest of Orndorff! Orndorff ignores the chop and grabs Flair. He whips Flair toward the corner and Flair flips over the turnbuckle landing on the apron! Flair runs across and climbs the turnbuckle but he gets caught! Orndorff slams Flair off the turnbuckle and looks pumped! He picks up Flair and pulls him in raising him into Piledriver position! Sting comes back in and pulls Flair down, taking down Orndorff with a clothesline. Ricky Steamboat came back in and took on Sting! Sting and Steamboat fought outside the ring and Flair grabbed the legs of Orndorff: Figure 4 Leglock! The crowd boos as Flair gets his finisher on Orndorff!...]

[...Flair cinches the hold in tight...]

[...Orndorff tries to reach the ropes...]

[...Flair does his best to keep Orndorff in the center of the ring...]

[...Orndorff tries to turn the Figure 4 over, using his massive strength...]

[...Flair fights to keep the pressure on Orndorff...]

[...Orndorff...]

[...Gives up! He gives up!]

Winners: Ric Flair and Sting (Via Submission @ 9:46)

Match Rating: B+

[...The crowd boos! Ricky Steamboat enters the ring and goes after Flair! Steamboat makes Flair break the hold but then gets taken down by a shot to the back of the head...]

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/luger.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/barrywindham2.jpg

[...It's Lex Luger and Barry Windham! Luger and Windham stomp on the fallen Steamboat! Luger picks up Steamboat -- Human Torture Rack! The crowd boos as Steamboat yells in pain! Luger drops Steamboat and the Four Horsemen stand in the ring together as Sting enters the ring as well. All four men raise four fingers as the show comes to a close.]

Archived