What grinds your gears?

brashleyholland

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah but I've met some nice looking ones, so I can forgive their laziness:p

I enjoyed the one I wokred in. Until I walked in on the guy doing his business. :p

I met a lot of weirdos too. I swear I think every guy that checks in has to hit on the housekeepers. I was always very sweet the the guests and that scored me major tips. :p

LOL

Worst hotel stay I ever had was with my ex wife...we stayed in this little place with thin walls, on one side you had newlyweds, on the other a couple that obviously been together a while and were screaming at each other most the night.

Next morning we both decided that since we were past the 1st room stage but not at the other room stage, we decided to quit while we were ahead and got a divorce.:D

Not at all.

The people who pick on me for my typos and tell me it's wrong to be boring grind my gears.

You hear tha...err Read that BHK???? :D

You have to know that I was joking, because I am the king of typos on here and I can't spell all that well either.:D

At least with typos I can understand what the point is....some people I think just mash the keys in some semblance of order that they think is intelligible. That grinds my gears

Me too. I usually don't make typos, but I am at a friends.

laying across the bed typing on a laptop is pretty hard to do when ou are use to a desktop.

I hate laptops. :(

Greece.

Those very sensible and understanding people in Greece are now complaining once they are doing something to get out of their slump. They've had some ridiculous financial systems and surprise surprise they failed quite epically. Now we other euro countries save those aforementioned prosperous geniuses by giving them some 100+ billion euros and they have strikes and protests due to governmental cutbacks.

Here in Finland we "didn't afford" to invest 2 million euros to keep a public rheumatism hospital open, but now we pay about one and a half billion euros to help them out of the grave they dig themselves into. We take loan to loan them, that is the money that we'll probably never get back.

Who would've thought paying bonuses for being to work on time and some other comfortable bonuses for the sake of bonuses to please the people and getting in to retirement by the age of 53 would've bitten back at some point...

Any greeks in the forums? Care to explain yourselves?

People older than twelve who don't grasp proper use of apostrophes. You don't throw in an apostrophe every time a word ends with an s.

Along with that, people who put an s after an apostrophy, when there is an s before it.

There is a burger joint down the street....

Chris's

Along with that, people who put an s after an apostrophy, when there is an s before it.

There is a burger joint down the street....

Chris's

From http://www.ncsu.edu/ncsu/grammar/Apostro3.html

"Nevertheless, the best of the style manuals (q.v. The Chicago Manual of Style) give at least ambient advice on this point. Here's Chicago's rule 6.30:

How to form the possessive of polysllabic personal names ending with the sound of "s" or "z" probably occasions more dissension among writers and editors than any other orthographic matter open to disagreement. Some espouse the rule that the possessive of all such names should be formed by the addition of an apostrophe only. Such a rule would outlaw spellings like "Dylan Thomas's poetry," "Roy Harris's composition," and "Maria Callas's performance" in favor of "Thomas'," "Harris'," and "Callas'," which would not commend themselves to many. Other writers and editors simply abandon the attempt to define in precise phonic or orthographic terms the class of polysyllabic names to which only the apostrophe should be attached and follow a more pragmatic rule. In essence this is, "If it ends with a z sound, treat it like a plural; if it ends with an s sound treat it like a singular." Thus they would write "Dickens', Hopkins', Williams'," but also "Harris's, Thomas's, Callas's, Angus's, Willis's," and the like."

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="falling_star" data-cite="falling_star" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="27610" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>You know what really grinds my gears?<p> </p><p> Twitter.</p><p> </p><p> No one is important enough to necessitate constant Twitter updates. <em>No one.</em></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> But don't you want to know when people blow their nose?</p>