A Sign of a Great Game

I started a career with the lowly Lamar Cardinals who had a prestige of 11. After 4 seasons I have raised their prestige to 25 after back to back 20 win seasons and two consecutive appearances in the NCAA Tournament. Now I have been offered a job to coach at a higher prestige school at Tennessee State. My dilemna is that I am hesitant to leave Lamar because I actually feel a connection to the program and the players I have recruited. But accepting the Tennessee State job would certainly be an advancement in my coaching career. There are very few games I have played that have had this kind of immersion factor. To me, that is the sign of a great game.

Oh yeah, I know how you feel about having a connection to a school. I went through the same thing when I was playing bowl bound. I wanted the Miami job but I wanted to start at Syracuse. Turned down the Miami job cuz no way was I leaving my hard work behind. lol. Spent 35 seasons wit syracuse, never won the National Title but they was always a threat. What did you decide.....staying or going?

I started a career with the lowly Lamar Cardinals who had a prestige of 11. After 4 seasons I have raised their prestige to 25 after back to back 20 win seasons and two consecutive appearances in the NCAA Tournament. Now I have been offered a job to coach at a higher prestige school at Tennessee State. My dilemna is that I am hesitant to leave Lamar because I actually feel a connection to the program and the players I have recruited. But accepting the Tennessee State job would certainly be an advancement in my coaching career. There are very few games I have played that have had this kind of immersion factor. To me, that is the sign of a great game.

Oh yeah, I know how you feel about having a connection to a school. I went through the same thing when I was playing bowl bound. I wanted the Miami job but I wanted to start at Syracuse. Turned down the Miami job cuz no way was I leaving my hard work behind. lol. Spent 35 seasons wit syracuse, never won the National Title but they was always a threat. What did you decide.....staying or going?

I took the Tennessee State job. So far in my first season with them, we have a 12-8 record (4-5 in the conference). When I inherited the team it looked like they had come off several consecutive weak recruiting classes, so it's been a real challenge setting up the lineup to get the most out of the players' strengths. And I'm a bit worried about my first recruiting class... with 5 scholarships to offer, so far I've only had one commitment and we're in February. The player I landed, though, is a very good 3 star player who was ranked #120 overall and the 21st ranked SG in the nation. He chose my school ahead of two 90+ prestige schools who were going after him. He's extremely quick (rated 100) and a excellent 3-point shooter. But I need to get some more commitments.

Keep me updated man, this could be fun. Good luck getting Tenn State out of a hole they dug themselves.

Year 1 with Depaul i'm 8-10. Tweaked my strats and depth chart all year, may have found the winning formula. Just beat Notre Dame and Georgetown back to back! Got Marquette next.

Worst loss ever vs BRYANT UNIVERSITY. Yeah, "WHO?" 21 point lead at halftime and then total choke job. Lost by 3.

Finished my first season with the Tennessee State Tigers with a 19-12 record (11-7 in the conference). We lost in the conference tournament so we didn't get an NCAA Tournament bid. We did get a bid to the CBI Postseason Tourney, but lost in the first round. The highlite of the season was defeating #5 ranked Tennessee on the road in a non-conference game. Tennessee finished the season ranked #3 in the nation. I only got one more recruiting commitment from a decent PG. My recruiting class was ranked 109th in the nation. Kind of disappointing. But I am anxious to see how the stud SG I landed early in the season pans out. My career coaching record after 5 seasons is 95-65.

How are you doing with DePaul? Good job beating Notre Dame and Georgetown back to back.

Good deal. Keep it up and you will get your recruits. lol at Tenn......I bet they all considered team suicide after that loss. Good job with the win!

AH! This game confuses me. I've been doing REALLY WELL against the best of the Big East. However, I play like total dog **** against dog **** teams. It's like they are playing to the level of the opponent. Gotta find a solution quickly before it drives me insane.

Finished my first season with the Tennessee State Tigers with a 19-12 record (11-7 in the conference). We lost in the conference tournament so we didn't get an NCAA Tournament bid. We did get a bid to the CBI Postseason Tourney, but lost in the first round. The highlite of the season was defeating #5 ranked Tennessee on the road in a non-conference game. Tennessee finished the season ranked #3 in the nation. I only got one more recruiting commitment from a decent PG. My recruiting class was ranked 109th in the nation. Kind of disappointing. But I am anxious to see how the stud SG I landed early in the season pans out. My career coaching record after 5 seasons is 95-65.

How are you doing with DePaul? Good job beating Notre Dame and Georgetown back to back.

Yeah man, get that demo d/l and play a season, let us know how you like it.

Text sims are amazing. I take these over any console sports games easily.

This thread has made me want to DL the demo and play it. I'm surprised at how small the install file is. Big fan of all sports sims - should be fun to try this out. :)

I think I'll be making a purchase on this shortly. Craziest thing just happened to me in the conference final...

http://lrodzen.me/images/pbp.JPG

That alone makes me want to buy this so I can play another season when this is over. I simulated a lot of games (obviously) so I could get through a season and see how everything worked. I played rival games with New Hampshire and other non-conference games I setup - Kentucky and Duke dominated us :p - and that landed us 3rd in the conference. We barely made it through the tournament with a 5pt win in rd 1 and a nail biter against NH in the semi final which was 70-71. They were ranked 2nd in the conference and we beat them every encounter that season. Truly an underdog story right here. ;)

I've yet to start overtime in that game. Changing some things up and stuff. If we lose this our season is over. :(

I think I'll be making a purchase on this shortly. Craziest thing just happened to me in the conference final...

http://lrodzen.me/images/pbp.JPG

That alone makes me want to buy this so I can play another season when this is over. I simulated a lot of games (obviously) so I could get through a season and see how everything worked. I played rival games with New Hampshire and other non-conference games I setup - Kentucky and Duke dominated us :p - and that landed us 3rd in the conference. We barely made it through the tournament with a 5pt win in rd 1 and a nail biter against NH in the semi final which was 70-71. They were ranked 2nd in the conference and we beat them every encounter that season. Truly an underdog story right here. ;)

I've yet to start overtime in that game. Changing some things up and stuff. If we lose this our season is over. :(

Right on, Brother Rodzen. I played my trial season with Maine as well. Almost got the Black Bears into the tournament. Even not being a college hoops fan in real life, this game is strong enough that it makes me want to buy it and see what more I can manage with the boys from Orono. Shame my funds are on the limited side these days or I'd snap this gem up tomorrow.

Right on, Brother Rodzen. I played my trial season with Maine as well. Almost got the Black Bears into the tournament. Even not being a college hoops fan in real life, this game is strong enough that it makes me want to buy it and see what more I can manage with the boys from Orono. Shame my funds are on the limited side these days or I'd snap this gem up tomorrow.

I'm not a basketball fan period. I played it when I was younger but it never stuck. Football and ice hockey are the sports I pay attention to. That's how I knew this game was good. With it being able to get me that interested in a sport I dislike is pretty cool. I've yet to purchase it mostly because all my 'gaming time' is still focused on TEW. When I get bored with that and have the spare cash I'll grab this for sure.

Boy that makes me think. I've always wanted to play a college hockey game. Getting UMaine to the Frozen Four would be really fun. I've waited years for EA Sports to make it but there isn't enough interest in the NHL let alone NCAA hockey in the US for them to do it. Perhaps I need to suggest this in the 'future game suggestions' part of the forum.

I'm not a basketball fan period. I played it when I was younger but it never stuck. Football and ice hockey are the sports I pay attention to. That's how I knew this game was good. With it being able to get me that interested in a sport I dislike is pretty cool. I've yet to purchase it mostly because all my 'gaming time' is still focused on TEW. When I get bored with that and have the spare cash I'll grab this for sure.

Boy that makes me think. I've always wanted to play a college hockey game. Getting UMaine to the Frozen Four would be really fun. I've waited years for EA Sports to make it but there isn't enough interest in the NHL let alone NCAA hockey in the US for them to do it. Perhaps I need to suggest this in the 'future game suggestions' part of the forum.

I'd take any kind of hockey sim!

I'm downloading the demo for this game right now. I'm not a basketball fan, but I need something to do.

• 1 month later...
Guest Treches

Agree. Just tried the game this week and I find it pretty solid. Not a single crash after 10 seasons of play, the interface&layouts, albeit somewhat oldish, are cleverly designed and the simulation is fast and reliable. A fun game on solid foundations that should be better in the future. Best out there of this kind easily.

• 3 weeks later...

<p>I downloaded the demo a couple days ago. Nice game! I love text-based sports sims and I wish this game had been available before I bought the college basketball sim of "another company" some time ago.</p><p> </p><p>

I love the "can't get fired" option, and I love the fact that I can coach a game without having to watch little icons shuffling around the screen. I don't need eye-candy and I don't need little pictures of the players. I play gamesl ike this for the stats, the strategy, the fun of making in-game substitutions, etc. </p><p> </p><p>

I must say the price of this game is a little high, but I will be purchasing it eventually.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

I absolutely fell in love with this game the moment I figured it out! It is so much fun. I started out with Rider. I went 21-15 in my first season. Now I also started another one with Oklahoma State. I nearly beat Duke and actually beat several high profile programs. Then I get to the NCAA tournament and get to the Elite 8 and what happens? My two best players get injured right before we play UCONN... Such a disappointing end to the season. It just makes me want to continue playing the game.

Basketball was my favorite sport growing up. Then I got cut from the team in 8th grade. Anyways I stopped paying attention for a while but now that I'm in college at a basketball school I am starting to get back into it.

I can't wait to get this game. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Archived