The GDS RTL League: Sign-up/Discussion Thread

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We should be starting soonish right? :D

If by "soon" you mean "now," then yes.

SEASON ONE SIGN-UPS ARE OFFICIALLY CLOSED.

We will start the season with twelve players; I will set up the game thread momentarily. Feel free to use this thread for game discussion as the season progresses.

• 2 weeks later...

All right, so here's a question to be posed to both current and prospective future players (while I wait for evening to come to post this week's write-up).

I'm thinking of working a body health mechanic into next season's gameplay. Basically the more a part gets worked on each week, the weaker it gets through the season. Thinking that parts recover health each week based on how damaged it got in the last match, a character's Resiliency stat, or maybe something else altogether.

I'm open to suggestions and comments/questions. Any thoughts?

All right, so here's a question to be posed to both current and prospective future players (while I wait for evening to come to post this week's write-up).

I'm thinking of working a body health mechanic into next season's gameplay. Basically the more a part gets worked on each week, the weaker it gets through the season. Thinking that parts recover health each week based on how damaged it got in the last match, a character's Resiliency stat, or maybe something else altogether.

I'm open to suggestions and comments/questions. Any thoughts?

Though in no way a complete thought. After this season take the data for how often each part is damaged a match average them out. Now see if they are close at all if not each part may need to be dealt with separately (could use the same stat just different equations). If close though you could just average them all together. Then you make what ever you end up with as the average healing a week. Then just figure out a good pricing plan for the increased healing.

Though in no way a complete thought. After this season take the data for how often each part is damaged a match average them out. Now see if they are close at all if not each part may need to be dealt with separately (could use the same stat just different equations). If close though you could just average them all together. Then you make what ever you end up with as the average healing a week. Then just figure out a good pricing plan for the increased healing.

Yea. Pretty much my thoughts summed up here.

If you can find a way to make it work, fantastic.

Agreed. If you can find a way to make it work then that would be a great addition to the format. Even if it's as simple as getting 20% of the maximum health back in each area per match + resilience bonus of an extra 0.5% per point... that ought to make things interesting.

Would it make sense to add a little wear and tear stat too? After every season people lose a little health from their maximum to simulate aging? Even 1% per body part per season would have a noticeable effect over time, which might encourage some rotation of characters once we get through 30 seasons of play. :eek:

Agreed. If you can find a way to make it work then that would be a great addition to the format. Even if it's as simple as getting 20% of the maximum health back in each area per match + resilience bonus of an extra 0.5% per point... that ought to make things interesting.

Would it make sense to add a little wear and tear stat too? After every season people lose a little health from their maximum to simulate aging? Even 1% per body part per season would have a noticeable effect over time, which might encourage some rotation of characters once we get through 30 seasons of play. :eek:

I'm still tossing around ideas for how to best implement it. I was going to go about it strictly from a percentage standpoint, but realized that the idea I had in mind wasn't going to work the way I wanted it to. There's still a couple of months to play around with the idea.

As for the second part of the quote above, I'm thinking of tying that into the body health plan. Here's a quick and dirty example of what I'm thinking:

End of Season Health:

Head: 62 / 100 (-38), Body: 71 / 100 (-29), Arms: 82 / 100 (-18), Legs: 45 / 100 (-55)

For the amount lost, you take 5% of that total and deduct it from the maximum health. At the start of the next season, the max stats would look like this:

Head: 100 - (38 x .05) = 100 x 1.9 = 98.1 (98 in game)

Body: 100 - (29 x .05) = 100 x 1.45 = 98.55 (99 in game)

Arms: 100 - (18 x .05) = 100 x 0.9 = 99.1 (99 in game)

Legs: 100 - (55 x .05) = 100 x 2.75 = 97.25 (97 in game)

That'd also mean I'd have to look into a replacement character policy, but that's another issue for another day.

I'm still tossing around ideas for how to best implement it. I was going to go about it strictly from a percentage standpoint, but realized that the idea I had in mind wasn't going to work the way I wanted it to. There's still a couple of months to play around with the idea.

As for the second part of the quote above, I'm thinking of tying that into the body health plan. Here's a quick and dirty example of what I'm thinking:

End of Season Health:

Head: 62 / 100 (-38), Body: 71 / 100 (-29), Arms: 82 / 100 (-18), Legs: 45 / 100 (-55)

For the amount lost, you take 5% of that total and deduct it from the maximum health. At the start of the next season, the max stats would look like this:

Head: 100 - (38 x .05) = 100 x 1.9 = 98.1 (98 in game)

Body: 100 - (29 x .05) = 100 x 1.45 = 98.55 (99 in game)

Arms: 100 - (18 x .05) = 100 x 0.9 = 99.1 (99 in game)

Legs: 100 - (55 x .05) = 100 x 2.75 = 97.25 (97 in game)

That'd also mean I'd have to look into a replacement character policy, but that's another issue for another day.

That could work quite well plus it adds an incentive to buy extra healing. Also you wouldn't need to replace characters. Add a surgery option make it cost a pretty penny, but allow a payment plan like 25 points a week (till you pay it off) or something like that.

That could work quite well plus it adds an incentive to buy extra healing. Also you wouldn't need to replace characters. Add a surgery option make it cost a pretty penny, but allow a payment plan like 25 points a week (till you pay it off) or something like that.

Let's say for discussion purposes that we manage to go 12, 13 seasons in. By this time, the character is beaten up enough that he's held together by duct tape and a prayer. He has surgery, and recovers some of his vitality. If he gets to that duct-tape-and-prayer point again, no amount of surgery will make the character's body as durable as the first surgery would. It's like patching a pothole in a road, only for the pothole to get bigger around the patch after the patch breaks down.

The cost for surgery would remain the same, but the effects of surgery would diminish with each use. On the flip side--a character who retires gets their replacement character to come in with a percentage of the cash used to upgrade their first character's stats, so they could have a fighting chance in their rookie season against the seasoned vets.

That's just my view at the moment.

• 1 month later...
I realize there is still a month left in the regular season, so we're about 6-7 weeks away from the end of the first season. I'm just trying to get a feel for how many are coming back for season two (if any). Of the twelve in, all but one are cleared to come to season 2 without sanction, as they've at least checked in with me once. Also, if any spectators want in, this would be a good time to let me know so I can try to figure out an optimal schedule length for next season. ALSO: A QUESTION! If we get enough people, I'm thinking of setting up a promotion/relegation system a la the English Premier/Divisional/Blue Square set up. Thoughts on this set up and any ideas? (I apologize for the wall of text; no line breaks via phone. Will edit them in this evening.)

I realize there is still a month left in the regular season, so we're about 6-7 weeks away from the end of the first season. I'm just trying to get a feel for how many are coming back for season two (if any). Of the twelve in, all but one are cleared to come to season 2 without sanction, as they've at least checked in with me once. Also, if any spectators want in, this would be a good time to let me know so I can try to figure out an optimal schedule length for next season. ALSO: A QUESTION! If we get enough people, I'm thinking of setting up a promotion/relegation system a la the English Premier/Divisional/Blue Square set up. Thoughts on this set up and any ideas? (I apologize for the wall of text; no line breaks via phone. Will edit them in this evening.)

I'm in, gotta retain my title (and start winning matches again so that I win it) and gotta stay in if I'm gonna win. :)

As for leagues and set up stuff... it's hard to answer that without knowing what the numbers are going to be like. Divisions might lead to discrepencies in stats as presumably the higher ups get paid more, leading to higher stats. Might be great in the long term but I'm not sure how it'll work in the short term when everyone is still basically tied, barring luck.

As it stands, the only differences I have in mind are that the lower division has a more even split of match winnings (65/35 instead of 75/25) and possibly a more mellow popularity curve (thus avoiding the drop from 15 to 9 that has hit before, but at the same time preventing a 15 -> 28 jump at once). I'm not trying to make it a Premiership vs Blue Square North dynamic. Most likely, I'd just keep it the same in both divisions and let the cycles go through on their own. I'd only do this if we're over 14 workers for a season though, as a 12-match season would be the minimum I'd feel comfortable with in this set-up. If we end up with 10 or less for season 2 I'll drop the idea until a later season, when roster size allows.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived