Official NBA Discussion Thread

GatorBait19

Totally agree. But what's more shocking is how badly Mike Miller is struggling with that team. It's like he has no idea how to get an open shot in that offense. Eddie House (who has year of experience getting his offense in a star laden team) is ten times the player for the Heat that Miller is.

lol that's even more funny you brought it up because they were talking about how bad this year's draft class is compared to 2000 and House and Miller are apart of that lol. I personally think it is the coaching.

To me with the offensive weapons this team has it needs a higher tempo offense. Erik has done a good job getting the team on the same track and I don't think Pat would be the right coach either. To me there is no reason Bron, Wade, and Bosh can't avg 20 plus a night together with Haslem getting 8 to 10 and Miller getting 13 to 17 a night (if he could find himself on the floor). but this offense is a slow offense which is why I think teams stick with them so much. I have watched a couple games this year where they either start slow tempo and teams stick with them and then open it up in the 4th and blow them out or start fast get a big lead and then tone it down at the end of the night and finish close.

They should have blow out the magic last week and were until the finale 7 minutes when the Magic almost came back. Erik needs to let them off the chain and go full blast. I know it's hard to with a weak bench because they are going to make the playoffs and you want energy come that time, but they need to work on the offensive side of the ball

They should have blow out the magic last week and were until the finale 7 minutes when the Magic almost came back. Erik needs to let them off the chain and go full blast. I know it's hard to with a weak bench because they are going to make the playoffs and you want energy come that time, but they need to work on the offensive side of the ball

Yup. But he'sa Riley disciple from the days when Riley was a slow it down, slugfest coach and it's obviously stuck.

Kevin Love, Blake Griffin, KG, Tim Duncan, Josh Smith, Amare, Gasol, Zach Randolph (I like his 20ppg and 13 RB at 6-9) David Lee (much better passer then Bosh), Aldridge are just a couple of people I'd use over Bosh.

A lot of good players on your list. Im not sure if Id have Randolph, Love and Lee on that list however. As bad as Bosh is on defense these 3 are worse yet. Actually Blake Griffin is lousy on defense right now as well but Id assume in 2-3 years with his talent and work ethic he should be an above average defender. Love has the work rate but just flat out has slow feet.

A lot of good players on your list. Im not sure if Id have Randolph, Love and Lee on that list however. As bad as Bosh is on defense these 3 are worse yet. Actually Blake Griffin is lousy on defense right now as well but Id assume in 2-3 years with his talent and work ethic he should be an above average defender. Love has the work rate but just flat out has slow feet.

They all out score and rebound Bosh. I will forgive the scoring by Bosh, but when you're main goal is to Rebound on the Defensive and Offensive sides off court and you CAN'T do that, then yes those names are ahead of him.

Zach for 6 of his 11 years as avg 20 pts, 10 REB. He hasn't been the greatest blocker, but he is also small for his size.

If you're saying you'd take Chris Bosh over Kevin Love, you're high. There's not a GM in the league who'd agree. As a matter of fact, if the Heat went to to the Wolves today with that deal, they'd get laughed at

If you're saying you'd take Chris Bosh over Kevin Love, you're high. There's not a GM in the league who'd agree. As a matter of fact, if the Heat went to to the Wolves today with that deal, they'd get laughed at

hmm, well I don't know about that Peter.

Here is the only way it could happen, Pat calls up the Wolves GM, he says how about Bosh for Love. Wolves GM laughs and says "they called me dumb for drafting 4 pg, how did you pull off the big three?" Pat ponders this and then gives another trade... "How about then Carlos, Mario, and Joel Anthony, that would give you 2 more PG's and a Center and you don't have to take on the Bosh contract."

See the Wolves would get more PG that they need and a nice center :D

Bosh has a huge contract and Love doesnt so the Twolves would be dumb for taking on a huge contract when they have a bad team and are a few years from sniffing the playoffs.. For the record, I find them both very overrated as they are both subpar defenders. Love is a product of playing on a crap team. Put him in a decent team and hes a 14 point 12 rebound player that still plays horrid man defense because of his slow feet.

And your wrong I wouldnt get laughed at. NBA GMs are smart enough to realize stats dont tell the whole story. Bosh was putting up huge numbers when he played on a crap team just as Love is now.

He averages 0.3 blocks and 0.6 steals a game and he shoots 47 percent. You are making him out to be a top NBA player when all hes really great at his rebounding and hes a good outside shooter for a big guy.

Did you realize Rambis has had to bench him on more than 1 occassion in the 4th quarter because he cant guard athletic Power Forwards?

Bosh has a huge contract and Love doesnt so the Twolves would be dumb for taking on a huge contract when they have a bad team and are a few years from sniffing the playoffs.. For the record, I find them both very overrated as they are both subpar defenders. Love is a product of playing on a crap team. Put him in a decent team and hes a 14 point 12 rebound player that still plays horrid man defense because of his slow feet.

And your wrong I wouldnt get laughed at. NBA GMs are smart enough to realize stats dont tell the whole story. Bosh was putting up huge numbers when he played on a crap team just as Love is now.

He averages 0.3 blocks and 0.6 steals a game and he shoots 47 percent. You are making him out to be a top NBA player when all hes really great at his rebounding and hes a good outside shooter for a big guy.

Did you realize Rambis has had to bench him on more than 1 occassion in the 4th quarter because he cant guard athletic Power Forwards?

You're making lots of assumptions here...

--I'm not talking about contracts. I'm saying Love is better than Bosh straight up, regardless of what they're paid.

--You're saying that Bosh put up huge numbers on bad teams, but even in Toronto, he never rebounded at the level Love is now. And you dismiss that outside shooting thing like it's nothing but look at that more closely: he shoots 47% from the field because he takes so many threes. But if you adjust for the fact that a 3 point shot is worth more, his 'true shooting percentage' (TFG) is almost 60% (.595)

To put that in context, that's the same percentage Kevin Durant is shooting through the All Star Break

--"Put him in a decent team and hes a 14 point 12 rebound player that still plays horrid man defense because of his slow feet."

Soooo...a 14 and 12 guy? On a title contender? Those would be excellent numbers. Plus he can shoot from the outside, he's a great passer, and he's better than average at the line? And the only negative is that he's not a great athlete and he's better as a team defender than on his own?

You're describing a more productive Robert Horry. Or a less-likely-to-get-thrown-out-of-a-game Bill Laimbeer

I don't think Love is an elite Top 5 talent, but he would be a huge contributer on a title team and I don't hink Bosh can. He puts up soft numbers and disappears when it counts.

--I'm not talking about contracts. I'm saying Love is better than Bosh straight up, regardless of what they're paid.

--You're saying that Bosh put up huge numbers on bad teams, but even in Toronto, he never rebounded at the level Love is now. And you dismiss that outside shooting thing like it's nothing but look at that more closely: he shoots 47% from the field because he takes so many threes. But if you adjust for the fact that a 3 point shot is worth more, his 'true shooting percentage' (TFG) is almost 60% (.595)

To put that in context, that's the same percentage Kevin Durant is shooting through the All Star Break

--"Put him in a decent team and hes a 14 point 12 rebound player that still plays horrid man defense because of his slow feet."

Soooo...a 14 and 12 guy? On a title contender? Those would be excellent numbers. Plus he can shoot from the outside, he's a great passer, and he's better than average at the line? And the only negative is that he's not a great athlete and he's better as a team defender than on his own?

You're describing a more productive Robert Horry. Or a less-likely-to-get-thrown-out-of-a-game Bill Laimbeer

I don't think Love is an elite Top 5 talent, but he would be a huge contributer on a title team and I don't hink Bosh can. He puts up soft numbers and disappears when it counts.

Actually he's not really making many assumptions, he's making pretty decent counter-points. I think you both make good points. Love isn't a star and will never be successful if he's the #1 or even the #2 most talented guy on his team, but he is very good at one thing the Heat could use help in and stretches the floor. It doesn't solve their post woes completely, but I agree that at this point Love would be an upgrade. The Heat still need a Ben Wallace type (the real Ben is probably too run-down) that can lock down people in the half court game; I just don't think Joel Anthony is big enough or good enough to be that guy, and their losses to teams with half court low post games tend to bear that out.

I mean right now I'd take the Bulls over the Heat in a 7 game series: they've got defensive stoppers like Deng and Brewer on the wing, plus Noah (eventually) and Boozer in the post. I mean I don't think there's a real question as to whether Wade and LeBron are more talented than Rose (they are), but the Bulls have a well-built squad with role players and some depth, while the Heat have two of the best players in the league and a bunch of 3 point shooters. And Chris Bosh.

Yeah I dunno. I guess its hard to prove either way.

Love is having his breakout season while Bosh was a max contract guy just 7-8 months ago.

I do agree with Lazorbeak that Love would fit in nicely on the Heat with his ability to stretch a defense and grab rebounds. Im not so sure Bosh and his midrange game is a good fit playing with 2 players like to operate in space. It seems they just call Bosh's number during games to get him his looks and not so much because he is being overly effective.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=6150419

Didn't really see that one coming. Deron Williams to the Nets.

Odd trade. I know that Deron was coming up on being a FA, and Devin sort of replaces him...but then you add Derrick Favorswho has been both unimpressive and a rookie and plays the same position as Paul Milsap and Al Jefferson.

Just...odd.

Odd trade. I know that Deron was coming up on being a FA, and Devin sort of replaces him...but then you add Derrick Favorswho has been both unimpressive and a rookie and plays the same position as Paul Milsap and Al Jefferson.

Just...odd.

Kinda makes the whole Jerry Sloan situation just even more of a shame now. All signs pointed to him leaving being something to do with Deron Williams, now both of them are out of Utah. Harris is pretty good I guess, but it seems like he's hurt more than he's healthy, and he certainly isn't going to come close to doing what Williams did. And you're right, Favors isn't on the level of Jefferson and Milsap, he's just going to be spelling both of them.

I know Williams was running his mouth after they traded Boozer and Brewer away that he thought the Jazz were kind of taking a step back and said that's why he's got a short contract with them. Maybe he has been keeping that up recently and they had to do this to get him out of town? Who knows, something just doesn't add up with this one.

I know Williams was running his mouth after they traded Boozer and Brewer away that he thought the Jazz were kind of taking a step back and said that's why he's got a short contract with them. Maybe he has been keeping that up recently and they had to do this to get him out of town? Who knows, something just doesn't add up with this one.

Yeah...maybe the ownership decided that there was no way Deron was coming back?

But then why not wait and get a better offer? If you wait til the end of the season, I think Orlando and Dallas (at least) would break the bank to land a big time PG.

ANd if they had decided to move Williams, then maybe it does make sense that Jerry leaves, because he's probably not in the mood to rebuild again, which is what this looks like it might be: they're blowing up the team and starting over

• 2 weeks later...
This one could be key, interesting if they have any more cap space to add another good player at Guard

Thing is Billups contract comes off the books the year of 2012 when Paul, Howard, and Deron's contracts are up. The Knicks I believe don't have anyone on the books for the 2012 season past Melo and Amare.

Personally I would shoot for Dwight Howard over a PG. A good PG can be found in the league and you don't really need one that can run the offense. There are plenty of them that can be found that can develop. Hell Nash might come for vet min just to try and win a title, but a dominate Center is difficult to find.

1) Paul

2) Williams

3) Rose

4) Rondo

5) Westbrook

6) Curry

7) Wall

8) Collison

9) Jennings

These are names that are big or are on the rise at the PG position

1) Howard

2) Noah

3) Hoford

4) B. Lopez

5) Bynum

that is really it to me for the true center position and outside of Howard none are game changing bigmen like Howard.

Again this is my opinion so take it for what it's worth, but Mike has a good resume for developing talent. Steve Nash (wasn't an MVP and was a 2 time all-star who couldn't sniff 10 assist a game) Amare (4 overall pick who developed nicely for Mike. Him and Howard would be scary next to each other). Marion (A good player, but really became a better all around player on Mike) Joe Johnson, Raja Bell, Boris Diaw, Barbosa, Wilson Chandler, Landry Fields, Dino Gallarin.

So running a older PG like Billups or Nash for a year or 2 and developing the next starting PG might not be a horrible thing for this team.

I have to say this, Mark Jackson is the worst color commentator in pro sports right now. I thought Mauro Ranallo was bad in MMA (When Mauro is doing color commentary.) but he sounds great in comparison to Mark Jackson. What is up with some of the crap that this dude says?

I swear if I have to hear, "Mama, there goes that man!" or "That is a grown man move!", I am going to have to be locked up in a psych ward.:D So thank you Mark Jackson, because of you I cannot watch a nationally broadcasted Sunday afternoon game anymore.:mad:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6202323

Over this past year I have lost a lot of respect for Stern. I use to see him as a guy who was cleaning up the sport with such moves as dress code, suspending Ron Ron for a year (even though I thought it should have been longer) and others.

But I started looking back at things and now I wonder if Stern is the best man for the job now. In this article he talks about how Stan will go back and look at his what he said and realize his mistake, but Stern dropped down to his level and gave a personal attack at Stan and his team by saying Stern said: "It didn't bother me personally. I see somebody whose team isn't performing, whose star player was suspended, who seems to be fraying ..."

The Magic haven't lived up to the hype this year, but at the same time they are 6 games behind the C's for the top spot on a team with only one All-star/good player.

Stern has done a good job with the NBA don't get me wrong, TV viewership has risen, but we have see superstars join forces and teams become Division 2 like basketball teams.

I just wonder if there is someone else out there who could breathe new blood into the NBA and clean the sport up again. There is one guy I think would do a great job, I can't remember the name lol. When I figure it out I will post it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6202323

Over this past year I have lost a lot of respect for Stern. I use to see him as a guy who was cleaning up the sport with such moves as dress code, suspending Ron Ron for a year (even though I thought it should have been longer) and others.

But I started looking back at things and now I wonder if Stern is the best man for the job now. In this article he talks about how Stan will go back and look at his what he said and realize his mistake, but Stern dropped down to his level and gave a personal attack at Stan and his team by saying Stern said: "It didn't bother me personally. I see somebody whose team isn't performing, whose star player was suspended, who seems to be fraying ..."

The Magic haven't lived up to the hype this year, but at the same time they are 6 games behind the C's for the top spot on a team with only one All-star/good player.

Stern has done a good job with the NBA don't get me wrong, TV viewership has risen, but we have see superstars join forces and teams become Division 2 like basketball teams.

I just wonder if there is someone else out there who could breathe new blood into the NBA and clean the sport up again. There is one guy I think would do a great job, I can't remember the name lol. When I figure it out I will post it.

I agree that Stern needs to be replaced. He has been commissioner for a while and I believe that he needs to go.This is a very interesting article about the state of the current CBA discussions between the owners and Stern.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-sternhunter021811

Same here, I hope both the NBA and NFL season do not happen. Why should we care about a labor dispute between millionaires and billionaires?

You personally may not care but the popularity of the two sports do say that people will care. Losing the NBA wouldnt really bother me as I like college hoops better but I would certainly start missing the NFL and especially fantasy football. All I really know is it would be extremely stupid of these two sides to lose all of this money knowing damn well they will eventually have to settle on something.