"The League"--A Multiplayer Wrestling Spirit II Experience

For the record, there was a maximum of 95 points available this season.

1. moon_lit_tears: 54 points

(tie) 2. derek_b, SeanMcG: 48 points each

4. Tori Montgomery: 46 points

5. Prophet: 45 points

6. masterded: 36 points

7. I effin rule: 24 points

8. Jaded: 11 points

9. Wrestling Century: 7 points

10. MichiganHero: 6 points

11. Zeel1: 4 points

The prize that Miss moon_lit_tears will receive will change the way the League runs in season two. Currently, there are fifteen entrants signed up for season two—nine returning veterans and six new challengers. The League has one wrestler on retainer to even the numbers should that occasion arise, making a field of sixteen. Depending on any last-minute entrants, Miss moon_lit_tears will be able to choose from the following set-ups:

1. 16 Wrestlers: Three Divisions

This set up would have an Alpha Division of six players, and five players in each of the Beta and Gamma Divisions. The three divisional winners, plus three "wild card" entrants, would make the playoffs. The regular season would last for fifteen (15) weeks in this arrangement, according to the Commissioner-approved schedule.

2. 16 Wrestlers: Four Divisions

This would allow for four divisions of four wrestlers each: Alpha, Beta, Gamma, and Delta. The four divisional winners, plus two "wild cards", would make the playoffs. The regular season would last for fourteen (14) weeks, and the schedule for this set-up is (again) Commissioner-approved.

3. 18 Wrestlers: Two Divisions

Should the League reach its' maximum number of entrants this season, this is one of the possibilities that could arise. This would make two divisions of nine—Alpha and Beta—and the regular season would last for eighteen (18) weeks. The top three in each division would make the playoffs, and would be the only time that the two divisions would play each other—the regular season would strictly be games within one's division. The odd person out in each rotation of the schedule would get a "bye" that week and be able to rest for that show.

4. 18 Wrestlers: Three Divisions

Should the League reach its' maximum number of entrants this season, this is one of the possibilities that could arise. This set up would allow for three divisions of six—Alpha, Beta, and Gamma. The regular season schedule has not yet been finalized from its' draft form, but is scheduled to last for either fourteen (14) or sixteen (16) weeks. Like the 16-wrestler arrangement of the same type, three divisional winners and three wild cards would make the playoffs.

5. 18 Wrestlers: Four Divisions

Should the League reach its' maximum number of entrants this season, this is one of the possibilities that could arise. In this set-up, there would be two divisions of five (Alpha and Gamma) and two divisions of four (Beta and Delta). Again, the final draft of this scheduled has not been approved in the League Commissioner's office, but the estimate for regular season length is believed to be around fourteen (14) weeks. The only difference with this schedule is that the playoffs would consist of the top two places in each division, making an eight-wrestler playoff schedule.

Congrats everyone who won money. :)

Also if anyone has a scenario they like input would be accepted.

• Replies 951
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Two notes -

I was robbed! I was most entertaining wrestler! Robbed cause I lack bazoombas? Blast! :p

I also have a feeling the final change is the "Skabb rule" since, if I remember correctly, Maxx was the first to Tonya Harding someone backstage, no? Yay me! lol

Point the first: Not true. I know you're kidding, but this was all done by the numbers. This should go in the discussion thread, but as it relates to the game I'll put it here.

Each grade is assigned a point value, starting at 0 for F grades and increasing by one for each higher grade (thus E is 1, D is 2, C- is 3, and so on until you hit 10 for an A* match). The sum of these points is divided by the number of matches to get the average match rating that I brought up in the Beyond Ringside listings.

Diamond: F x 4 (0), C x 3 (4 x 3 = 12), B- x 1 (6), A* x 6 (6 x 10 = 60).

60 + 12 + 6 = Total of 78 points. 78 / 14 ~= 5.571 average match rating.

Maxx Skabb: F x 2 (0), D x 1 (2), C- x 1 (3), C x 1 (4), C+ x 1 (5), B- x 3 (6 x 3 = 18), B x 2 (7 x 2 = 14), B+ x 1 (8), A* x 2 (10 x 2 = 20).

20 + 2 + 18 + 8 + 14 + 5 + 4 + 3 + 2 = Total of 76 points. 76 / 14 ~= 5.286 average match rating.

It was closer than I thought it would be, all things considered.

As for the so-called "Skabb Rule," I think you may have been the first to do that, but in my defense, it's easier to eliminate that than to say "OK, person X wants to take a hit out on person Y, that deducts 15% from this area, doubled because player Z wants to do the same thing..." and so on and so forth for each person. Maybe in a later season I'll re-introduce that, but right now I'm just working on getting the mechanic in place without adding more variables to the mix! :D

Oh yeah, I figured it had to do with some numerical thing that I would never understand, being that I'm someone who needs a calculator to add three digits together. lol In all honesty, I thought Diamond had more MotN's than Skabb did, so I never expected it to be close at all.

Second part also makes sense. I just like taking credit for stuff I have no right taking credit for. Like my invention of the slinky. It was 1947, and I was sitting on my back porch, in Waylon, Tennessee ... :p

Oh yeah, I figured it had to do with some numerical thing that I would never understand, being that I'm someone who needs a calculator to add three digits together. lol In all honesty, I thought Diamond had more MotN's than Skabb did, so I never expected it to be close at all.

Second part also makes sense. I just like taking credit for stuff I have no right taking credit for. Like my invention of the slinky. It was 1947, and I was sitting on my back porch, in Waylon, Tennessee ... :p

Diamond had one more I think, but Max had the best. :)

WELCOME TO SEASON TWO, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!

As a teaser, below is the week one schedule. I will be posting my usual pre-show column and predictions on Monday, the 4th of October.

THE LEAGUE: SEASON TWO, WEEK ONE

Airing from Aberdeen, Scotland

Sean (8%) vs. Super Century (15%)

Nuclear Templeton (18%) vs. Sebastian Moore (6%)

SGRaaize (12%) vs. Shawn Arrows (14%)

Ly Quang Bao (15%) vs. Maxx Skabb (15%)

El Demonio de Sangre (15%) vs. Scott Stevens (15%)

Tarik Nolan (18%) vs. Johnny Triumph (17%)

The Phoenix (22%) vs. Diamond (17%)

Robbie Maynard (25%) vs. Thor Hammerskald (23%)

TRAINING DEADLINE IS THURSDAY, 7 OCTOBER AT 8:00 PM EDT / FRIDAY, 8 OCTOBER AT 1:00 AM BST

Note that for you veterans, any unused free points not spent by this time will be forfeited.

PREDICTION DEADLINE IS FRIDAY, 8 OCTOBER AT 8:00 PM EDT / SATURDAY, 9 OCTOBER AT 1:00 AM BST

As much as I would love to see Templeton go down this week, I think he's gonna to rule this match. :(

Diamond however will enjoy her victory over Phoenix. :D

Wow, somehow I have an advantage in this area. Cool! :D:cool:

Sangre will be The Scorpion's first victim.

Hey Shadow do you assign points on the page you PMed me?

ATTENTION PLAYERS: My host is apparently being a bit of a pain at the moment. (Getting a "server is taking too long to respond" error.) I can still access pages in the editor, but they are not displaying on my browser. If you are encountering any problems (aside from the people who have already contacted me about it), give it a bit of time to possibly clear up. If not, I'll just PM the text equivalent of the pages to you.

Is there a post in one of the 2 threads that says who made what character?

Pulled from the Discussion Thread:

ShadowedFlames (The Phoenix / League Director)

derek_b (Nuclear Templeton)

moon_lit_tears (Diamond)

Prophet (Maxx Skabb)

Jaded (Robbie Maynard)

SeanMcG (Sean)

i effin rule (Tarik Nolan)

SGRaaize (SGRaaize)

Arrows (Shawn Arrows)

masterded (Johnny Triumph)

Ranson (Thor Hammerskald) -R

TheKenwyne (Sebastian Moore) -R

Dangrel (El Demonio de Sangre) -R

Wrestling Century (Super Century) -R

Toasty (Ly Quang Bao) -R

Jman2k3 (Scott Stevens) -R

(NOTE: -R denotes League Rookie for Season 2)

Pulled from the Discussion Thread:

Thank you.

I wanted to make picks based on who I like more. :D

Just kidding... or am I ;)

Looking forward to the start of the season!

Can't wait - really looking forward to the new season, great to see some new characters in. Thanks for the awesome job you're doing on this SF. :)

Ahh, another season, another dollar. Take that Small Claims Court of Sherwood Forest! *shakes fist at Sheriff of Nottingham and his two vulture sidekicks!*

Guest Toasty

<p>Sean (8%) vs. <strong>Super Century</strong> (15%)</p><p>

<strong>Nuclear Templeton</strong> (18%) vs. Sebastian Moore (6%)</p><p>

SGRaaize (12%) vs. <strong>Shawn Arrows </strong>(14%)</p><p>

<strong>Ly Quang Bao (15%)</strong> vs. Maxx Skabb (15%)</p><p>

<strong>El Demonio de Sangre (15%)</strong> vs. Scott Stevens (15%)</p><p>

<strong>Tarik Nolan (18%)</strong> vs. Johnny Triumph (17%)</p><p>

The Phoenix (22%) vs. <strong>Diamond (17%)</strong></p><p>

<strong>Robbie Maynard (25%)</strong> vs. Thor Hammerskald (23%)</p>

<p></p><div style="text-align:right;"><p><strong><em><span style="color:#000080;">Season Two, Week One</span></em></strong></p><p><strong><em><span style="color:#000080;">

October 4, 2010 </span></em></strong></p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p>

</p><div style="text-align:center;"><p> </p><span>http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae344/ShadowedFlames/GDS%20League%20Stuff/BeyondRingsideBanner.jpg</span> </div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p>

After a two week break, The League returns for a second season! Hello again, fans and newcomers alike! This is Tori Montgomery, returning as well to provide insight and previews for the next four months as we prepare to crown a new champion. With not only last season’s champion, but last season’s runner-up both electing not to return for a second season, we are guaranteed a new champion this season. The other ten members of The League last season have all returned, and are joined by six new members looking to come in and make a name for themselves. It’s going to be an exciting season, and there’s no time like the present to get started!</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

</p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong><em>THE DIVISIONS: SEASON TWO</em></strong></p></div><p></p><p> </p><p>

This season, the divisions were chosen by regular reader Miss moon_lit_tears, who won last season’s prediction contest over the fourteen-week regular season and the playoffs. It’s easy to tell who she’s a fan of, once you see the divisional layout for the season. </p><p> </p><p>

<strong><em><span style="color:#FF0000;">ALPHA DIVISION</span></em></strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Nuclear Templeton</strong> <em>(8-4 last season, second place in Alpha Division)</em></p><p>

Templeton was one match behind the eventual League runner-up last season, and looks to expand on that success this season in what may arguably be called the League’s toughest division. One of two men to feature a lariat clothesline as a finisher, Nuclear puts a lot of power behind it. If he doesn’t make the playoffs this season, I’m certain he’s not the only one who will see it as a failure.</p><p>

<em>Strengths: Nearly unrivaled power within the League ranks. Appears to be in above-average cardiovascular shape.</em></p><p><em>

Weaknesses: Has not been tested physically, may have injury issues.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Robbie Maynard</strong> <em>(9-5 last season, second place in Beta Division, Wild Card entrant)</em></p><p>

Maynard is the only member of this season’s Alpha Division to have been in last season’s playoffs, which gives him an inherent advantage as he knows what it takes to get there. With a devastating submission finisher in the Merseyside Maul, and an expanded playoff field, Maynard is the odds-on favorite in Vegas to at least make it to the playoffs this season.</p><p>

<em>Strengths: Unquestionably the best pure athlete in The League today. Can last longer than most League members in a match.</em></p><p><em>

Weaknesses: Doesn’t have much power behind his attacks; seemed to lose his dominance late last season.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>SGRaaize</strong> <em>(6-8 last season, third place in Beta Division)</em></p><p>

Raaize is the other man in the League who utilizes the lariat as a finisher, which could make for a pair of intriguing matches when he and Templeton collide this season. Raaize had a resurgence at the end of last season, and hopes to carry that form forward into this season. Raaize could be a dark horse; I could easily see a three-way race for the Alpha Division crown this season.</p><p>

<em>Strengths: Nearly unrivaled in the amount of punishment he can take each match. Resurgence seems to indicate ample ability to endure the rigors of the schedule.</em></p><p><em>

Weaknesses: Not very charismatic (lowest average match rating of all returning members); technical skills are questionable.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Ly Quang Bao</strong> <em>(League rookie)</em></p><p>

Not much is known about Bao, except that he came from one of the more noted independent puro promotions in Japan. A Vietnamese national, he’s one of the few from that nation who have managed to succeed in this business. Until I’ve managed to see some more footage of Bao in action, I won’t be able to provide any insight on his abilities.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong><em><span style="color:#0000FF;">BETA DIVISION</span></em></strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Maxx Skabb</strong> <em>(6-8 last season, third in Alpha Division)</em></p><p>

Skabb had a hit-and-miss season last time out, involved in the Match of the Season and just barely missing out on Entertainer of the Season. In a division with two rookies, Vegas already has him pegged as the division winner, albeit with an 8-6 record. Skabb needs to make a statement to prove that he is for real this season.</p><p>

<em>Strengths: Can hold his own in a fight. Also knows his way around a hardcore match.</em></p><p><em>

Weaknesses: Not very athletic. Some concerns about his ability to endure a second season.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Shawn Arrows</strong> <em>(5-9 last season, last place in Beta Division)</em></p><p>

Arrows, who was a last-minute confirmation for season two, is the only League member who has yet to execute their finisher in any League match. Many are thinking his age is catching up to him, though, and many are thinking this season to be his swan song. The over/under on the number of finishers he executes this year is 1, with most bettors taking the under.</p><p>

<em>Strengths: Surprising amount of power in such a small frame. Above-average stamina among League members.</em></p><p><em>

Weaknesses: Doesn’t seem comfortable in the air. Has yet to execute his finisher in a match.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Thor Hammerskald</strong> <em>(League Rookie)</em></p><p>

Hammerskald is the first of two rookies in the Beta Division this season, and is the most known of the pair coming in. Found by League scouts during their trip to Europe last season, Hammerskald was quick to join The League for their second season. Is also one of the only rookies with extensive video footage available for scouting.</p><p>

<em>Strengths: Has impressive power , has shown the ability to withstand punishment.</em></p><p><em>

Weaknesses: May have stamina issues, may have trouble with crowd support.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Sebastian Moore</strong> <em>(League Rookie)</em></p><p>

The other rookie in the Beta Division, not too much is known about Sebastian coming into this season. League officials are also being very tight-lipped about where they discovered him, making him one of the true unknowns in the League this season. As time goes by, though, we will be able to find out more about this rookie.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong><em><span style="color:#008000;">GAMMA DIVISION</span></em></strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Sean</strong> <em>(9-5 last season, Gamma Division Champion)</em></p><p>

The early favorite in the Gamma Division, Sean returns as the highest-ranking veteran from last season. Another man with a submission finisher, Sean looks to pick up where he left off last season and make a second run to the playoffs. With his track record, not many are doubting him.</p><p>

<em>Strengths: Fairly well-balanced, all-around wrestler.</em></p><p><em>

Weaknesses: Jack-of-all-trades typically means master of none.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Tarik Nolan</strong> <em>(6-8 last season, last in Beta Division)</em></p><p>

Nolan, who uses a chckenwing suplex as a devastating finisher, had a miserable divisional schedule last season, going 1-5 in his division. With no members of last year’s Beta Division in his division this year, many think that he could surprise people this season.</p><p>

<em>Strengths: Incredible power, above-average ability to withstand opponent’s offense.</em></p><p><em>

Weaknesses: Weak technical skills, may have injury issues.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>The Phoenix</strong> <em>(3-11 last season, last in Alpha Division</em></p><p>

Clearly the biggest disappointment in The League last season, Phoenix had to be talked into returning by Commissioner Colt Marshall. The heaviest wrestler in The League (at 337 pounds), he’s hoping that the second season will proceed a lot better than the first.</p><p>

<em>Strengths: Good technical skills, surprising resilience despite past injuries.</em></p><p><em>

Weaknesses: Has shown a low tolerance for pain in the ring.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>El Demonio de Sangre</strong> <em>(League Rookie)</em></p><p>

Discovered during the League’s impromptu move to Veracruz in the last week of the last regular season, Demonio brings a unique Lucha Libre style into the League. I don’t have more information beyond that, unfortunately, so we’ll all be learning more about him as the season progresses.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong><em><span style="color:#FFA500;">DELTA DIVISION</span></em></strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Johnny Triumph</strong> <em>(8-6 last season, second in Gamma Division)</em></p><p>

Another technical wrestler with a submission finisher, Triumph comes in looking to make the playoffs after falling one match short last season. One of only four wrestlers who find themselves in the same division as another wrestler from that division last season (Raaize and Nolan are the other pair), I'm expecting fireworks in this division when all is said and done.</p><p>

<em>Strengths: Unparalleled submission wrestler, excellent technical wrestler.</em></p><p><em>

Weaknesses: Doesn't hit very hard, may have lingering injury issues.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Diamond</strong> <em>(6-8 last season, third in Gamma Division)</em></p><p>

The League's lone female, she is the reigning Entertainer of the Season. The fact that she and Triumph put on a pair of Matches of the Night last season can only mean that this division could be the most entertaining by far, given that they will meet up two more times this season. I think it's entire possible for Diamond to contend for the division title this season.</p><p>

<em>Strengths: Highly charismatic, one of the best fliers in The League</em></p><p><em>

Weaknesses: Lack of power behind her punches, lacks technical wrestling knowledge.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Super Century</strong> <em>(League Rookie)</em></p><p>

Super Century is one of the few wrestlers who wrestles under the constraints of a gimmick, like in the "mainstream" promotions. It's not certain how well that will translate into The League, but with another high-flier in the Delta Division, we can be fairly certain of seeing a pair of aerial showcases this season.</p><p>

<em>Strengths: seems to be at ease in the air, decent cardiovascular shape.</em></p><p><em>

Weaknesses: Gimmick may cause issues, may be a one-trick pony.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Scott Stevens</strong> <em>(League Rookie)</em></p><p>

"The Scorpion" comes from a storied wrestling family in the South, and has some MMA experience under his belt. Found by League officials midway through last season, Stevens was a last-minute addition to the roster due to some contract issues he wanted addressed. We'll see if his history will help him in The League,</p><p>

<em>Strengths: The only League member with MMA experience, fairly balanced all-around</em></p><p><em>

Weaknesses: Is not strong against any specific wrestler type, may struggle to find an identity in The League.</em></p><p> </p><p>

</p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong><em>PREDICTION CENTRAL</em></strong></p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p>

Just like last season, I will be holding a season-long prediction contest. Whomever earns the most points (correct guesses) during the course of the season will earn the right to assign divisions for season three. There will be an estimated total of 120 points available this season; make certain to start early in order to be in the running come the end of the season!</p><p> </p><p>

We start the second season from Aberdeen, Scotland; the League visited Scotland last season so it will be interesting to see how well the fans treat the rookies. It will also be interesting to see how well they fare in the ring; let's take a look at the schedule.</p><p> </p><p>

</p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><em><strong>SEASON TWO OPENING WEEK: ABERDEEN, SCOTLAND (SCOTLAND, UK)</strong></em></p><p><em>

(Regular match, match can be stopped for blood loss, ref bumps are not allowed)</em></p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Sean (8%) vs. Super Century (15%)</strong></p><p>

Last season, Sean lost in Scotland to Diamond; I think he will have learned from last time and will do better against the rookie in his debut.</p><p>

<em>Tori's Pick:</em> Sean, via submission (Modified Figure Four), 6:50, C-</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Nuclear Templeton (18%) vs. Sebastian Moore (6%)</strong></p><p>

Last season, Nuclear lost a whale of an opening match, with a slightly larger popularity advantage this time out, I think he'll pull out the victory here.</p><p>

<em>Tori's Pick:</em> Nuclear Templeton, via pinfall (Armageddon Lariat), 19:10, B+</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>SGRaaize (12%) vs. Shawn Arrows (14%)</strong></p><p>

Raaize leads this series 1-0, from last season. Both men will be looking for their first win in Scotland, as well. I'm thinking Arrows comes out with a point to prove, and surprises Raaize.</p><p>

<em>Tori's Pick:</em> Shawn Arrows, via pinfall (Springboard Moonsault), 7:10, C+</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Ly Quang Bao (15%) vs. Maxx Skabb (15%)</strong></p><p>

After last season, I see Maxx wanting to avenge his loss in Scotland. Bao finds out the hard way that this is not his regular puro promotion.</p><p>

<em>Tori's Pick:</em> Maxx Skabb, via pinfall (Lethal Injection), 8:10, C</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>El Demonio de Sangre (15%) vs. Scott Stevens (15%)</strong></p><p>

Our first all-rookie match of the season, and I'm hard-pressed to make a pick. Going to take a wild guess.</p><p>

<em>Tori's Pick:</em> El Demonio de Sangre, via pinfall (Fuego Infernal), 9:10, C+</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Tarik Nolan (18%) vs. Johnny Triumph (17%)</strong></p><p>

A rematch of last season's Week Five Match of the Night, I am thinking that Triumph avenges his loss to Nolan and evens the career series between the two with a hard-fought win here.</p><p>

<em>Tori's Pick:</em> Johnny Triumph, via submission (Horns of Victory), 19:50, A</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>The Phoenix (22%) vs. Diamond (17%)</strong></p><p>

Diamond won their only official encounter, last season in Washington, DC. It was nearly the Match of the Night, and many think that Diamond carried the match. The wild card here is that we are in Diamond's hometown. She isn't going to lose in front of her friends and family. Phoenix's woes continue here.</p><p>

<em>Tori's Pick:</em> Diamond, via pinfall (Diamond in the Sky), 22:00, A*</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Robbie Maynard (25%) vs. Thor Hammerskald (23%)</strong></p><p>

Main event, and this could be an explosive way to end the first week of the new season. Last season, Maynard had the match of the night in Scotland, and I wouldn't put it past him to put up a good showing again here. Going with the veteran in a very competitive match.</p><p>

<em>Tori's Pick:</em> Robbie Maynard, via submission (Merseyside Maul), 20:10, A</p><p> </p><p>

While the League schedule for season two has been made official, our webmaster has not posted it to the League's website yet. As soon as he gets off his butt and does it, we'll pass along the link to you, the loyal readers.</p><p> </p><p>

But until next time, this is Tori Montgomery...so long from ringside!</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong><em>WEEK ONE: ABERDEEN, SCOTLAND (Scotland, UK)</em></strong></p><p>

Sean (8%) vs. Super Century (15%)</p><p>

Nuclear Templeton (18%) vs. Sebastian Moore (6%)</p><p>

SGRaaize (12%) vs. Shawn Arrows (14%)</p><p>

Ly Quang Bao (15%) vs. Maxx Skabb (15%)</p><p>

El Demonio de Sangre (15%) vs. Scott Stevens (15%)</p><p>

Tarik Nolan (18%) vs. Johnny Triumph (17%)</p><p>

The Phoenix (22%) vs. Diamond (17%)</p><p>

Robbie Maynard (25%) vs. Thor Hammerskald (23%)</p>

It's soooooo on! :D

Archived