The Video Game Thread

Genadi

I recently fired up my Gamecube (apparently almost broken as it took 10 tries to boot it), just to play Wrestlemania XIX on it (and some DoR2). Love how the game was fast-paced and you could pull off a stunner or RKO out of nowhere, whereas in the SvR series (which is the one they're still seem to be running, despite the 'redesign') it'd be a slow and cumbersome setup. Still a fun game to play, and imo better than anything out there atm.

Wonder how the new FirePro is doing. They aren't close to finished yet, but I heard there was progress.

Apologies. I meant "Pro Wrestling X". (http://www.prowrestlingx.com/) Apparently it's scheduled for early access 'soon'. I'll be waiting. :p

Still bummed that I somehow missed out on No Mercy. :( But wrestling wasn't big here back then (WCW reached out to Belgium. WWF completely missed it). I almost had to import WWF Attitude and had some fun with it, but I'd rather liked No Mercy. Oh well.

As for the whole 30FPS 'debate': I honestly never see the difference. My eyes are still accustomed to mediocre graphics as I generally don't play shooters other than UT. :p

Apologies. I meant "Pro Wrestling X". (http://www.prowrestlingx.com/) Apparently it's scheduled for early access 'soon'. I'll be waiting. :p

Still bummed that I somehow missed out on No Mercy. :( But wrestling wasn't big here back then (WCW reached out to Belgium. WWF completely missed it). I almost had to import WWF Attitude and had some fun with it, but I'd rather liked No Mercy. Oh well.

As for the whole 30FPS 'debate'. I honestly never see the difference. My eyes are still accustomed to mediocre graphics as I generally don't play shooters other than UT. :p

Ah, PWX. That game's been in development for forever. It's near Duke Nukem Forever stages now.

I'd rather them be working on a third King of Colosseum. KoC II blows every wrestling game ever made (yes, even No Mercy) out of the water.

I wish I could have got my hands on a copy. I watched many vids of that game (specifically the NOAH version since that's what was hot) and it seemed like a DoR of Japanese wrestling except better. I still hold DOR as the best wrestling series ever mostly because I haven't got to try those games.

I wish I could have got my hands on a copy. I watched many vids of that game (specifically the NOAH version since that's what was hot) and it seemed like a DoR of Japanese wrestling except better. I still hold DOR as the best wrestling series ever mostly because I haven't got to try those games.

I remember me and my cousin having a 30 minute fatal fourway. The game is badass.

Does anyone here play Freedom Force still or occasionally? I haven't played it in a few years, but just reinstalled it through Steam and things are wonky. My laptop is running Windows 7 and I believe that's what I ran the last time I played as well, but when I try to move Minuteman around he just starts wandering instead of going where I "told" him to go. I don't play many PC games, so I'm hoping I'm just overlooking something silly.

I love DoR and King of Colosseum II towers over it. It may be a fanboyish thing to say, but KoC's grapple system is nigh-perfect.

There's probably a few copies up for sale on eBay, you also need either a mod chip, or a swap magic disc to play imports. I would recommend the swap magic, easier to get from reputable sites. Damn pirates ruin everything.

Does anyone here play Freedom Force still or occasionally? I haven't played it in a few years, but just reinstalled it through Steam and things are wonky. My laptop is running Windows 7 and I believe that's what I ran the last time I played as well, but when I try to move Minuteman around he just starts wandering instead of going where I "told" him to go. I don't play many PC games, so I'm hoping I'm just overlooking something silly.

I haven't played it in a while, but I remember having to do more than just right click. I also seem to remember some setting for how autonomous the characters are, so that could be part of the problem too.

You know what annoys me most about AC:U?

I can deal with the glitches and the general unfinishedness of the game, that can be patched. But it's the accents...

We're in 17th Century Paris, and the studio that made the game is based in Montreal, which last I heard was at least partly French-speaking. WHY DOES EVERYONE HAVE A BRITISH ACCENT?!

It's even worse when they drop random French words into the dialogue and pronounce all the names in (half-decent) French accents.

Remember when we were in Florence, and everyone spoke with Italian accents? Sure they were in places terrible, but they TRIED.

Remember when we were in the Holy Land, and people spoke with appropriate accents? Yes, even the French characters!

When we were a pirate, people sounded like your stereotypical pirate.

But now, in Paris, while your studio is surrounded by people with French accents in real life, your voice actors are British? Not even British, but Canadians trying to be British and failing in varying degrees from awkward to comical.

Just how little effort did you put into this, Ubisoft? Damn...

Oh, joy. I found another ridiculous quote from a Ubisoft employee on the matter.

...we chatted with Creative Director Alex Amancio to get the definitive answers.

“The idea is that the Animus is translating everything into the language you’re playing in,” Amancio explains. “That’s why, since you’re an Anglophone, you’re hearing all the dialogue and cinematics in English. It would really make no sense for there to be a French accent because that would mean that this French character is trying to address you in accented English. Everyone in the game is not trying to speak English for your benefit.”

So why doesn't it translate random French words thrown into sentences? And why are THEY spoken with a French accent? And why, when the player is American, are the accents still Canadians doing an impression of an English/Irish accent? And why didn't this animus technology work in ALL THE OTHER GAMES?

Screw you, Ubisoft. Far Cry 4 better not suck this much...

It's probably not a massive deal for most people, but I'm a massive Francophile, and one of the things I was most looking forward to was immersing myself in 17th century Paris, just like I got to do with 15th century Florence. But that immersion has sort of been pissed on, more by the accents than even the bugs.

For those who want to have a crack at the early access (read: tech demo) of Pro Wrestling X:

It's up on Steam today for the low-low price of... well... have a guess. :rolleyes:

It actually looks pretty good. Go get it but really expect an "early access" in the purest sense of the word: you can only do one strike and initiate a grapple state and do one suplex, repeat and pin. Some glitches are there, but it looks fine.

For those who want to have a crack at the early access (read: tech demo) of Pro Wrestling X:

It's up on Steam today for the low-low price of... well... have a guess. :rolleyes:

It actually looks pretty good. Go get it but really expect an "early access" in the purest sense of the word: you can only do one strike and initiate a grapple state and do one suplex, repeat and pin. Some glitches are there, but it looks fine.

All these years and that's all they could do for their first early access build? They put PWX on Greenlight two years ago! What the hell have they been doing for the past ten years?

I am not liking the new Dragon Age game thus far. First off I hate the fact that you have to go online in order to import your customized game world. Mainly because I do not have XBOX Live and I do not intend on getting it. Therefore, all of my saves from the previous games do not matter and it leaves me not caring what happens.

It also reminds me a lot of Witcher 2 gameplay wise but while I liked Witcher 2, I am having a hard time getting used to this way of playing in Dragon Age. I don't know maybe if I play it longer I will get into it but after playing it for five hours I feel very disappointed with it.

So I bought WWE and Far Cry today; (why I bought games I have no clue as I could have rented FC4 about a month or two later.) Hopefully FC4 doesn't suck. Also, I finished AC Unity Monday Night. I don't understand it at all. Also, why the hell are the credits thirty minutes long!? :p

You think that's bad? I timed Metal Gear Solid 2's ending cutscene and credits at about an hour and thirty.

I am not liking the new Dragon Age game thus far. First off I hate the fact that you have to go online in order to import your customized game world. Mainly because I do not have XBOX Live and I do not intend on getting it. Therefore, all of my saves from the previous games do not matter and it leaves me not caring what happens.

It also reminds me a lot of Witcher 2 gameplay wise but while I liked Witcher 2, I am having a hard time getting used to this way of playing in Dragon Age. I don't know maybe if I play it longer I will get into it but after playing it for five hours I feel very disappointed with it.

I can't speak for the console version, but I'm very much enjoying the PC version. It feels like a good middle ground between games like The Witcher, The Elder Scrolls and Origins.

And you have to go online because, at least for the PC version, you can't import the saves directly and have to go through the Dragon Age Keep. Not a good reason, but at least there's a reason.

And you have to go online because, at least for the PC version, you can't import the saves directly and have to go through the Dragon Age Keep. Not a good reason, but at least there's a reason.

Oh I know...:D

I had a few choice words after seeing that I had to go through Dragon Age Keep in order to import my old saves. I just hate the fact that they assume everyone has Live or whatever the service is for Playstation (I have not had a Playstation since the second generation). It just bugs me that I played the previous two versions and had all of those saves for no reason. In my opinion they should have dealt with it like they did with the second game and not force people to go online to import stuff. Oh well I only paid ten dollars for the game anyway (I had a gift card) so it does not bother me that much.

All these years and that's all they could do for their first early access build? They put PWX on Greenlight two years ago! What the hell have they been doing for the past ten years?

To be fair, there's only two or three people working on it in their spare time (at least to my knowledge), there isn't a huge team working on it like Yukes, 2K etc. They've also had people leave the team, which actually turned out to be a good thing as the coder they currently have seems far more competent than the one they had previously.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Undertaker666" data-cite="Undertaker666" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="28397" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>To be fair, there's only two or three people working on it in their spare time (at least to my knowledge), there isn't a huge team working on it like Yukes, 2K etc. They've also had people leave the team, which actually turned out to be a good thing as the coder they currently have seems far more competent than the one they had previously.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Well, so far they've established the graphical base of the game and the core of the engine. Moves will be animated. Hopefully the cash injection doesn't turn them into lazy people, but in this case the guys are quite passionate about it. The cash might inspire them to take some unpaid time off to fully devote to the project. Let us hope.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Undertaker666" data-cite="Undertaker666" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="28397" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>To be fair, there's only two or three people working on it in their spare time (at least to my knowledge), there isn't a huge team working on it like Yukes, 2K etc. They've also had people leave the team, which actually turned out to be a good thing as the coder they currently have seems far more competent than the one they had previously.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Holy crap.. An undertaker666 sighting. Thats rarer than a bigfoot or loch nass sighting</p>