The Video Game Thread

Genadi

2 hours ago, Jaysin said:

So I'm very behind on gaming, but holy moly, Ghost of Tsushima is such a treat. I think after I complete it the first time I'm going to do a New Game+ play through in the Kurosawa mode. 

One of the few games I’ve beaten multiple times it’s sooo fun and just beautiful again I can just walk the map enjoying the world. Some of that beauty is lost in Kurosawa mode in my opinion but it’s still so worth it

On 10/20/2023 at 5:37 PM, Self said:

Just finished with Arkham Knight and Lamplighter's League. I thought Arkham Knight was awesome. I tried playing it last year but hated the Batmobile so much I quickly gave up. What a fool I was. Really fun time. I can see myself going back to it or looking into the previous games in the franchise. Anyone know if they hold up, or if they're too dated for modern consoles?

Also, late to reply to this one but I've recently been replaying Arkham Asylum and it still holds up. Arkham City is one of my favorite games of all time top to bottom so I'd wager it still hits the same as well. I'll obviously do that one after I'm done with Asylum but not sure about Knight just yet since I remember my expectations (damn you expectations) being sooooooo skyhigh for that game back in 2015 (NINE YEARS AGO, GOOD GOD) I bought the best edition in the preorder, and once I finished the game my hype plummeted down to the center of the earth. Hoping I have a change of heart like you did but I very much doubt it'll ever surpass City for me even if I do.

Edited by Dawn
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Arkham Knight was a great game imo... you just had to wait a year before beginning. I played on PC, never any problems.

It's a lesson most refuse to learn: games are often MUCH better a year after release. Look at Cyberpunk, for one (though I'm still to play it, and purchase it after initially refunding)

• Like 2

Yeah I was fortunate enough to miss the hype wave of Cyberpunk back on the PS4 and did my first playthrough around 3 years ago in a sleepover with my friends. We didn't get that far but it was the first time it peaked my interest and I decided to wait until the PS5 version got released to try it out on my own. Took me a bit to get going but now that it isn't a broken mess anymore, it's a very well constructed storyline that really should have just skipped last gen altogether.

I remember getting Cyberpunk for Christmas just after it was released and it was an absolute shower of you know what. I had less bugs in my back garden. I almost got rid of it but kept hold of it and glad I did as I got the upgrade for free.

Now it is an absolutely fantastic game (just playing my second playthrough now Phantom Liberty has come out). Some may not agree but I think the story is good, just wish there was more difference between the backgrounds other than some additional conversation options.

I've just downloaded PalWorld to see if I like that. I've been advised it is pretty good (given it is currently in Game Preview on X-Box).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/1/2024 at 5:57 PM, Dawn said:

Also, late to reply to this one but I've recently been replaying Arkham Asylum and it still holds up. Arkham City is one of my favorite games of all time top to bottom so I'd wager it still hits the same as well. I'll obviously do that one after I'm done with Asylum but not sure about Knight just yet since I remember my expectations (damn you expectations) being sooooooo skyhigh for that game back in 2015 (NINE YEARS AGO, GOOD GOD) I bought the best edition in the preorder, and once I finished the game my hype plummeted down to the center of the earth. Hoping I have a change of heart like you did but I very much doubt it'll ever surpass City for me even if I do.

Late reply to a late reply, I just finished Arkham Asylum (the Return To remaster) and yes, it's good. I could definitely feel its age in places;. Shinier graphics plastered on top of an older frame. The general structure. It's so 'small' compared to Arkham Knight, with such a small assortment of villains, which is to be expected. My fault for playing games out of order. I did the same with Tomb Raider 2013 and Rise of the Tomb Raider. Played the second one first which made the first one feel a bit quaint. 

I have Arkham City too, but I'm going to hold off on playing that. Between Batman and Tomb Raider (and a delightful martial arts game called Sifu... of which I cannot beat level 3) I've played a lot of third person adventures lately. Need a change of pace. 

I'm so glad I spent a decade basically ignoring console video games. So many gems to pick up and enjoy, free of hype and discourse and at a fraction of the price. Tomb Raider 2013 cost me £2.50. 

Edited by Self
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have a PS5 question that's a bit strange.

For Christmas we had gotten a PS5 from a rental place. Now we are going to buy one outright and was curious how easy it is to transfer the stuff from the rental to the one we'll own? We don't have PS+ atm, but we will in the near future so I can play Baldur's Gate with my friends 😂

3 hours ago, Jaysin said:

For Christmas we had gotten a PS5 from a rental place. Now we are going to buy one outright and was curious how easy it is to transfer the stuff from the rental to the one we'll own? We don't have PS+ atm, but we will in the near future so I can play Baldur's Gate with my friends 😂

If you already had Plus it'd be insanely easy to transfer your saves via the cloud. Without it I don't really know. PS4 to PS5 was an easy process but I have never heard of PS5 to PS5 direct transfer.

On 2/12/2024 at 7:00 PM, Jaysin said:

If this support page is correct, this should explain how to use a USB thumb drive to transfer data better than I can.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/hardware/back-up-ps5-data-USB/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/3/2024 at 12:52 PM, Jaysin said:

Signed up for PlayStation Plus Premium on my PS5, is there a way to search for couch co op games that are available? I don't like the PS store UI at all.

Oops, missed this one when it was first posted. Sometimes they'll have co op under the collections tab but I believe that's refreshed every now and then. You can search games by genre (racing, fighting, sim, family etc) in the list of PS5/PS4 games which would shorten your list exponentially from the thousands that are there by default, though.

• Like 1

So, I have been having the hardest time getting into Baldur's Gate 3 despite me loving everything I encounter. It's just the "normal" difficulty is pretty damn hard 😂

Lowered it down to the lowest for this play through and I'm finally gelling. Just met Astarion and I can tell I'm going to love him. Shadowheart is giving me potential mystery vibes, so I'm intrigued by her too. Just got to Emerald Grove and the only reason I had to stop was because my controller died. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jaysin said:

So, I have been having the hardest time getting into Baldur's Gate 3 despite me loving everything I encounter. It's just the "normal" difficulty is pretty damn hard 😂

Lowered it down to the lowest for this play through and I'm finally gelling. Just met Astarion and I can tell I'm going to love him. Shadowheart is giving me potential mystery vibes, so I'm intrigued by her too. Just got to Emerald Grove and the only reason I had to stop was because my controller died. 

I'm about to switch myself, the first non alien fight in the refectory has been IMPOSSIBLE for me to get through lmao

Just now, Dawn said:

I'm about to switch myself, the first non alien fight in the refectory has been IMPOSSIBLE for me to get through lmao

The farthest I made it prior to this character was washing ashore and getting murdered instantly lol

3 hours ago, Jaysin said:

I had to drop down to easy as well in order to beat BG3. I probably could have beaten it on normal with enough persistence, but I've only got so much time on this Earth and I didn't want to spend hours upon hours replaying the same fight over and over again. And it still felt pretty challenging by the end even on easy!

I think I had in on normal when I started, but I ended up quitting for now as it got a bit annoying having to replay segments because I failed combat. My party is not thàt combat-heavy and it takes a while in D&D before mages do something.

Anyone playing the new WWE game yet? They made it just a bit better then the previous iteration so I'm liking it. New storylines as well, so worth the money imo for us wrestling fans. Then again, if you're not superexcited about it, you might as well wait until the DLC is ready and the crashed will be fixed, especially concerning the creation suite. Like always I stray away from that the first few months.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blackman said:

I think I had in on normal when I started, but I ended up quitting for now as it got a bit annoying having to replay segments because I failed combat. My party is not thàt combat-heavy and it takes a while in D&D before mages do something.

Anyone playing the new WWE game yet? They made it just a bit better then the previous iteration so I'm liking it. New storylines as well, so worth the money imo for us wrestling fans. Then again, if you're not superexcited about it, you might as well wait until the DLC is ready and the crashed will be fixed, especially concerning the creation suite. Like always I stray away from that the first few months.

Last year for 2k23 I decided to wait until all the DLC was out (and wait for a sale) and then I forgot about it and ended up not getting it. This year I’m waiting as well as I just have too many other backlogged games to get through (including BG3).

And Dragon’s Dogma 2 is out in 9 days and I know I will playing that extensively. Loved the first game. The story sucked but the gameplay was fun.

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Dawn said:

@Jaysin With the next PS5 UI update your quick access to coop games issue will be solved. Don't know if you keep up to date with that stuff but just thought I'd give you a heads up.

I had no idea! When does the update launch?