The Video Game Thread

Genadi

I need to vent. I'm a massive F-Zero fanboy (if my avatar pic wasn't clear enough) and Nintendo finally heard my cry. They are finally giving me a new F-Zero game. It's... A bloody Battle Royal with the SNES F-Zero style and graphics. F-Zero 99 they call it.

Words alone cannot describe my disappointment and anger, but imma try. I don't consider this "game" a new game. I see it as a mod. I have seen people do similar things, with the original Mario Kart. This is a literal slap in my face. How difficult is it for Nintendo, to just make a futuristic race game, with 30 different racers, who all have their own race machines and use skill and destruction to race?

Worse to me, is that they could've used all this time to maybe re-release F-Zero GX, what I consider the last F-Zero game. I mean, they are re-releasing Paper Mario A Thousand Year Door, why not GX? I get Miyamoto doesn't understand why people like me want F-Zero, when Mario Kart is more popular, but his demand that everything new must have a new gimmick, and that be it's main selling point. In F-Zero, you just race and kick all ass. Human or alien ass. Doesn't need to be more fancy than that, and he doesn't see the appeal, when you do that, and use items, in Mario Kart.

I likely won't be buying F-Zero 99, and I'll be still waiting for a brand new F-Zero.

2 hours ago, FellaLibby said:

I need to vent. I'm a massive F-Zero fanboy (if my avatar pic wasn't clear enough) and Nintendo finally heard my cry. They are finally giving me a new F-Zero game. It's... A bloody Battle Royal with the SNES F-Zero style and graphics. F-Zero 99 they call it.

Words alone cannot describe my disappointment and anger, but imma try. I don't consider this "game" a new game. I see it as a mod. I have seen people do similar things, with the original Mario Kart. This is a literal slap in my face. How difficult is it for Nintendo, to just make a futuristic race game, with 30 different racers, who all have their own race machines and use skill and destruction to race?

Worse to me, is that they could've used all this time to maybe re-release F-Zero GX, what I consider the last F-Zero game. I mean, they are re-releasing Paper Mario A Thousand Year Door, why not GX? I get Miyamoto doesn't understand why people like me want F-Zero, when Mario Kart is more popular, but his demand that everything new must have a new gimmick, and that be it's main selling point. In F-Zero, you just race and kick all ass. Human or alien ass. Doesn't need to be more fancy than that, and he doesn't see the appeal, when you do that, and use items, in Mario Kart.

I likely won't be buying F-Zero 99, and I'll be still waiting for a brand new F-Zero.

I feel ya. I'm a Star Fox fan and it's been just as long since we got a real Star Fox game with no stupid gimmick to it. Miyamoto deserves credit where it's due, but he's reached a point where his constant meddling is strangling the life out of every franchise not named Mario or Zelda. And even with Zelda, it seems like they had to strap him down to keep him from messing with Monolith's work on Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Swanton825 said:

I feel ya. I'm a Star Fox fan and it's been just as long since we got a real Star Fox game with no stupid gimmick to it. Miyamoto deserves credit where it's due, but he's reached a point where his constant meddling is strangling the life out of every franchise not named Mario or Zelda. And even with Zelda, it seems like they had to strap him down to keep him from messing with Monolith's work on Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom.

My fellow Star Fox fan, I highly recommend you seek out Star Fox Event Horizon. It's a mod for Freespace 2 and just released it's fully voiced demo, with voices from Star Fox 64 and more. You'll find it on ModDB

• Like 1

Mortal Kombat 1 is seriously challenging for my favorite in the series. Easy 9/10, bordering on a perfect 10. Not going to provide story spoilers since it's still in early release, but as someone who personally didn't like MK11 at all even gameplay wise, this has exceeded all my expectations and then some. Just sooooo packed with kontent, Invasions mode is so much fun for a post story single player reprieve. I can see myself spending the next year grinding this without any issue whatsoever.

EDIT: Thanks Blackman 😛

Edited by Dawn

4 hours ago, Dawn said:

Kontent,

Fixed that for you. :)

I didn't end up buying Street Fighter as the game just isn't for me (too wacky), despite the simplified controls. MK1 might do it on the grounds that it's a reboot and the style is just iconic.

Also a great F-Zero fan and I must say that the concept of a battle royal is quite exciting. It's a logical step given the current gaming climate. Graphical improvements won't really matter much as the game is so speedy you'll barely notice anyway. [edit] Also: it's free! Honestly F0GX for Gamecube is one of the only games I still have (alongside the awesome WWE games). It's near perfect as it is actually. Why want a new game? You know almost for a fact that new games or rehashes are - almost by definition - going to be worse.

Let's hope MK1 won't be (though I guess purist probably won't like it due to characters' looks changes).

(edit) Saw the characters in character select and they once again prove they are the masters of character design. Raiden's costume was a bit disappointing, but i'm nearly sure the original one is an alternate.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jaysin said:

On the Star Fox topic, has anyone played Star Link? Was wondering if it's worth picking up and it gives me Star Fox 64 vibes. 

Sorry about the double-post. I can't figure out how to edit quotes into previous posts. I haven't played Star Link myself, but I've heard a lot of good about it from people who are usually cynical about everything Ubisoft puts out.

2 hours ago, The Swanton825 said:

My God... When Nintendo fails us, the fans deliver!

Here is a link to find the ModDB page of Event Horizon. It's free, you don't even need to own Freespace 2 to play this gem

Link: https://www.moddb.com/mods/star-fox-event-horizon

A second one I'll add is for Legend of Zelda fans. It was also by the same creator of Star Fox Event Horizon but he stopped development to move on to another game as base for his mod. Someone took the mantle to finish what he started on it and did it to the best of his ability. It's a mod for Medieval 2 Total War, (aka Total War: Medieval 2). The mod is called Hyrule Total War and if you know the Total War franchise, then this is what you might expect with LoZ elements. I also highly recommend this mod.

Link: https://www.moddb.com/mods/hyrule-total-war-v-38-mr-nygrens-submod

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2023 at 5:53 AM, Blodyxe said:

Not a new game, but I've been enjoying Control a lot. Game from the guys that made Max Payne, Quantum Brake, Alan Wake, etc... awesome visually, has amazing lore, features some really talented actors.. Strongly recommend it!

It's been mentioned several times already. I also enjoyed that game, even though it's normally not my thing.

There's a new UFC game coming this month. Honestly I don't really like what I saw in the beta. And most likely they didn't listen to the fanbase and offline play once again gets the boot. Couldn't they learn from the WWE games? Nobody plays that online yet many still play it, even though half their roster is fired atm.

• 2 weeks later...

And in latest news the British government have approved Microshafts purchase of ActivistionBlizzard and thus the company that runs Xbox now owns: (Warning long post)

Call of Duty

Crash Bandicoot

Diablo 

Gabriel Knight 

Geometry Wars 

Guitar Hero 

Gun

Hearthstone

Heroes of the Storm

Heavy Gear

Heretic 

Interstate '76

King's Quest

Laura Bow Mystery Series 

The Lost Vikings

Overwatch

Phantasmagoria 

Pitfall

Police Quest

Prototype

Quest for Glory 

Singularity

Ski Resort Tycoon

Skylanders 

Soldier of Fortune

Space Quest

Spryo 

Starcraft

SWAT

Tenchu 

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater and associated titles 

True Crime 

Ultimate Soccer Manager

Warcraft

World of Warcraft

Zork

But WAIT THERES MOAR

Bubble Saga

Bubble Witch Saga

Hoop de Loop Saga

Candy Crush Saga

Pyramid Solitaire Saga

Pet Rescue Saga

Papa Pear Saga

Farm Heroes Saga

Pepper Panic Saga

Bubble Witch 2 Saga

Diamond Digger Saga

Candy Crush Soda Saga

AlphaBetty Saga

Scrubby Dubby Saga

Paradise Bay

Blossom Blast Saga

Candy Crush Jelly Saga

Farm Heroes Super Saga

Shuffle Cats

Bubble Witch 3 Saga

Legend of Solgard

Diamond Diaries Saga

Candy Crush Friends Saga

Pet Rescue Puzzle Saga

Knighthood – Epic RPG Knights

Crash Bandicoot: On The Run!

Rebel Riders

So I now have a 10 year old in my life and one of the things we are bonding over are video games. It seems like couch co-op has gone out the window on a lot of games for Switch and PS4. Looking for some couch co-op games for PS4/Switch, but if there's any suggestions for games we can each play on our own Switches, but together. Like an RPG maybe? We are potentially getting a PS5 for Christmas, so maybe some suggestions for couch co-op games for that too?

6 hours ago, Jaysin said:

So I now have a 10 year old in my life and one of the things we are bonding over are video games. It seems like couch co-op has gone out the window on a lot of games for Switch and PS4. Looking for some couch co-op games for PS4/Switch, but if there's any suggestions for games we can each play on our own Switches, but together. Like an RPG maybe? We are potentially getting a PS5 for Christmas, so maybe some suggestions for couch co-op games for that too?

PS4/PS5

"It Takes Two" comes immediately to mind, although it can be a little emotionally distraught (we love you, Cutie) so it depends what kind of 10 year old you have. 😂 If you don't mind them playing more grown up games either, "A Way Out" is also a fun co-op game from the same developers as It Takes Two. I played it with my 12 year old, and he absolutely adored it.

More kid friendly (but still fun for us) games are: "Sackboy: A Big Adventure", "Overcooked!", "Moving Out", "Rayman Legends", "Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time" (if you've played Crash Bandicoot, you probably think you know how they're going to do multiplayer but it's actually more competitive than you might think), "Plants Vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville", and "Don't Starve Together" (if you're looking to bond, this is probably the best game for you).

You also have the traditional sports/racing games, depending on your and your kids tastes. And, if they're not easily scared, I loved playing the "The Dark Pictures Anthology" with my kids, including "Until Dawn" and "The Quarry".

Switch

"Cuphead", "Mario Kart 8", "Super Smash Bros.", Lego Games (The Skywalker Saga is my particular favourite, but it depends on what you and your kid are in to), "Unravel", "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge", "Kirby Star Allies", "Worms W.M.D.", and obviously, pretty much any Mario or Mario adjacent game.

Have fun, man. Enjoy it while you can 'cause eventually they want to play with their friends instead of you. 😞

• Like 1

On 10/15/2023 at 12:00 AM, Jaysin said:

I'd like to add Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 to the suggestions. It's not mind-blowing, but it's a fun beat 'em up with a big cast of playable heroes.

• Like 1

I'd also like to add Crash Team Rumble to that list. With friends it's quite the fun, unique game. A bit repetitive at times but you can do a lot worse. Plus it's crossplay so you guys can get two copies for different platforms (one for PS5, one for PS4) and play together just fine.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FellaLibby said:

Mario Party, if you want to teach your kids about DTA. Don't Trust Anybody lol

Mario Party and Mario Kart are definitely on the lost of family presents for Christmas. I think even my partner would love Mario Party and she isn't a gamer.

Thanks for all the help guys. Right now we are splitting our time between TMNT Shredder's Revenge(survival mode is a blast), Borderlands, and Scott Pilgrim vs the World. 

• Like 4