The Video Game Thread

Genadi

13 hours ago, Jaysin said:

I am one of those that bought the new Pokemon but I haven't had any issues with it. Granted I haven't spent that much time yet, but I'm loving the game world so far

Maybe it's really a case of freak issues that are trending online, making people believe the game is a mess. For a console game with standardized settings (never had the option to change gfx settings on console).

Either way, encountering an issues of this nature would kill the immersion for me. Immersion is a big part for a game like pokemon. This is also why I never play games on release (barring Adam's games I guess, because he actually gets it right). I did with " Gwent: Witcher Tales" and the difficulty level was so poor that it ruined my experience. They tweaked it afterwards, but no sense to replay a story game. Never again.

With this mindset I enjoyed Batman Arkham Knight on PC, as in the beginning it was plagued with issues. I also at least mildly enjoyed WWE2K20, which was a disaster at first. Plus, you pay 50% less. I can't quite understand why people preorder it and then start complaining once it goes on sale after a mere month because of a disastrous launch. I know next to nothing about economics but seem to 'get' that once your product has soured with the public, you need to do something in order to save your investment, or watch the game melt into obscurity, where people forget about it and just don't want it. But I'd be surprised if Nintendo would implement this, as they've never done that. But then again, they never have this issue.

Nontheless, despite all the bad press and trending issues, people just continue to buy the game. So why on earth would they even spend resources on it and fix it, if people are ok with it? They are under no obligation to fix it. They offer a product that doesn't claim to be glitch-less and you buy it and don't return it within 2 hours of gameplay? It's on you... This happens more and more, with people defending games with obvious errors like some mad fanboy. The bar has been lowered. :p

2 hours ago, Blackman said:

Nontheless, despite all the bad press and trending issues, people just continue to buy the game. So why on earth would they even spend resources on it and fix it, if people are ok with it? They are under no obligation to fix it. They offer a product that doesn't claim to be glitch-less and you buy it and don't return it within 2 hours of gameplay? It's on you... This happens more and more, with people defending games with obvious errors like some mad fanboy. The bar has been lowered. :p

IMO the bar was lowered back when console games could first be patched. Before that even a bad launch on PC got a ton of bad press games didn't recover from (sadly dooming some very good games to obscurity for the crime of being forced out the door early by an impatient publisher). So for the most part big brands were leery about one of their franchises having a buggy release. Except Sega and Midway, those two never cared once gaming went full 3D.

12 minutes ago, The Swanton825 said:

IMO the bar was lowered back when console games could first be patched.

True that. At that point the adagium "a delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever" no longer applies, and they indeed stopped caring. But people's buying behaviour kept constant, and the publishers figured out pretty quickly that it doesn't really matter whether you put in lots of bugfixing hours better spend on a new game. Several publishers with an insanely bad rep atm, and people just don't care and keep buying their stuff.

19 minutes ago, Blackman said:

True that. At that point the adagium "a delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever" no longer applies, and they indeed stopped caring. But people's buying behaviour kept constant, and the publishers figured out pretty quickly that it doesn't really matter whether you put in lots of bugfixing hours better spend on a new game. Several publishers with an insanely bad rep atm, and people just don't care and keep buying their stuff.

There's also a weird thing where I've seen the attitude people should have towards AAA titles for being buggy being used more often on AA and indie games that more often than not legitimately didn't have the funds to keep delaying development any longer. Tons of entitled people getting mad at a lower tier game for daring to not aspire to 10/10, would let the developer sleep with my mother, territory and instead just be a fun game. Haven't played it yet myself so I can't comment on the game's quality, but I've seen a lot of anger directed at Evil West not for bugs or the like, but because it's a linear single-player game with limited replayability - which is all it was ever hyped as!

Meanwhile, the actually greedy AA companies like TaleWorlds (Mount & Blade) that make money hand over fist with their games despite things like Mount & Blade 2 leaving early access despite not actually being finished with the company openly admitting they did that to boost sales.

17 hours ago, Jaysin said:

I am one of those that bought the new Pokemon but I haven't had any issues with it. Granted I haven't spent that much time yet, but I'm loving the game world so far

This is where I'm at with it. It could play far better but it's a more fun Pokemon game than SwSh (I think Legends Arceus just edges it for how much fun it is to play). I've been fortunate enough to avoid any major issues though.

48 minutes ago, Big Roguey said:

This is where I'm at with it. It could play far better but it's a more fun Pokemon game than SwSh (I think Legends Arceus just edges it for how much fun it is to play). I've been fortunate enough to avoid any major issues though.

Arceus was overwhelming to me. So far Violet is guiding me without being over the top hand holding. I'm excited for the open world aspect, but I get easily overwhelmed these days when games don't have much in the way of guidance.

Also, the mini map is a HUGE addition imo

I played Violet off and on most of today before work and am having a blast. 

I chose Feucoco because I'm a sucker for gators and Crocs. Its female so I might nickname it Coco.

Trying like hell to find a Rookidee, but I don't think it's area is accessible yet. I just got to the school. I did a bit of grinding first raising my Feucoco and Scatterbug. 

Finished Ragnarok this morning absolutely loved it still have a couple side quests to finish and some new ones popped up for post game too. The only thing I’ve been kinda let down on is the boss fights. They’ve been fun but with the exception of fighting Thor they have been almost easy. Still though this is the best game I’ve played in awhile. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, guyver3 said:

Finished Ragnarok this morning absolutely loved it still have a couple side quests to finish and some new ones popped up for post game too. The only thing I’ve been kinda let down on is the boss fights. They’ve been fun but with the exception of fighting Thor they have been almost easy. Still though this is the best game I’ve played in awhile. 

I really wish I had a PS5... I know it's on PS4 as well, but I heard it makes the system run louder than a jet engine and mine already does that so I can't risk it.

23 minutes ago, The Swanton825 said:

I really wish I had a PS5... I know it's on PS4 as well, but I heard it makes the system run louder than a jet engine and mine already does that so I can't risk it.

Haven’t heard about that happening but from what I had heard was that it was mostly designed for the 4 and upgraded for 5. Either way though if you liked 2018s game you will love this 

• Like 1

Absolutely loved Ragnarok. I wonder what will come next? Kratos vs Ra, would be cool! 

Right now, I am playing Evil West (there are some similarities with God Of War) and I gotta say, the boss fights are definitely harder. The Bruch made me almost quit and un-install the game. 😂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sisma said:

Absolutely loved Ragnarok. I wonder what will come next? Kratos vs Ra, would be cool! 

Right now, I am playing Evil West (there are some similarities with God Of War) and I gotta say, the boss fights are definitely harder. The Bruch made me almost quit and un-install the game. 😂

Back before the reboot was first announced, I was hoping for an Egyptian God of War (Norse myth was a close second) so I'd be totally on board with that!

• Like 2

Playing a lot of Persona 5 Royals since it appeared on Xbox Game Pass. And I mean a lot. Usually I get bored of games around the 30 hour mark and try to rush to the ending or quit entirely, but I'm almost 60 hours in here and still hanging in. This could be the first JRPG I finish since Final Fantasy X. It still has a lot of the things I find off-putting about the genre (stand-in-a-line combat, lots and lots of dialogue and cut scenes, high school fetish) but it seems to do everything better than most. The combat has some tweaks with elemental weaknesses and the baton pass system. The dialogue isn't annoying to listen to. There's a least some lip-service given to the idea that adults shouldn't date high school students. 

Also addicted to Monster Train. It's kind of like Slay The Spire, but I found Slay the Spire really simplistic and boring, and Monster Train is so full of variety and options and personality. 

Edited by Self

On 11/27/2022 at 10:52 AM, Kubikiri Asa said:

I've been playing Game of Thrones: The Board Game - Digital Edition. It was ok, but not great. I had hoped that it was more like The Warlords series (the turn based versions).

I beta'd that game. It's a very solid conversion of the physical boardgame, which I've only played twice as it's a pain to find 5 other players who actively want to play this game (above a plethora of other games).

For the next game I've contemplayed replaying Baldur's Gate 2 for the gazillionth time (now with achievements apparently) but will end up playing Pathfinder 2 tomorrow.

Finally finished Skyrim but still need to do the major mods like Beyond Bruma, the imperial one and the forgotten city. Started the Falskaar one at first but that's... not a good one imo.

Finally started seeing some slow down on Pokemon Violet. I play in hand held mode, so I'm sure that's part of my issue and there was a large number of Pokemon in my area as well. 

Still having a blast tho. Got whomped by the Klawf titan, but did beat the grass gym. That was a little easy tho since I started with Fuecoco. 

Im considering a Skyrim run where I roleplay the character as Triple H as a Nord 😂

Got myself Cyberpunk for PS5 in the latest PSN sale and I gotta say it's a lot better than people said it was when it was only out on last gen. The cast is really distinct and memorable at this point, not really any throwaways that I'm sure I won't remember. The setting is dreadful in a good way - really makes you feel like in you're in the slums of society. Though I'm moving really slowly with the main story, which makes me think I just don't have it in me to grind games as I used to. Maybe Assassin's Creed Valhalla killed me good in that regard :p 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Blackman said:

I beta'd that game. It's a very solid conversion of the physical boardgame, which I've only played twice as it's a pain to find 5 other players who actively want to play this game (above a plethora of other games).

For the next game I've contemplayed replaying Baldur's Gate 2 for the gazillionth time (now with achievements apparently) but will end up playing Pathfinder 2 tomorrow.

Finally finished Skyrim but still need to do the major mods like Beyond Bruma, the imperial one and the forgotten city. Started the Falskaar one at first but that's... not a good one imo.

It's actually possible to FINISH Skyrim? I've been trying for 11 years :p 

1 hour ago, Dawn said:

Yes. I got the game (twice) since release and only now I've done the Dragonborn expansion. Some user-made mods are more fun imo though.

Not sure how one would roleplay HHH. They've done many animations for the game (my eyes cannot unsee what I've seen, let's not go into details) but a Pedigree is yet to be made. :p

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dawn said:

Got myself Cyberpunk for PS5 in the latest PSN sale and I gotta say it's a lot better than people said it was when it was only out on last gen. The cast is really distinct and memorable at this point, not really any throwaways that I'm sure I won't remember. The setting is dreadful in a good way - really makes you feel like in you're in the slums of society. Though I'm moving really slowly with the main story, which makes me think I just don't have it in me to grind games as I used to. Maybe Assassin's Creed Valhalla killed me good in that regard :p 

I've finished Cyberpunk multiple times and I love it! It has definitely improved a lot since it's release, but I got it day 1 and still really enjoyed it. Although, I did play on PS5 from the get go and I think most of the really big problems were PS4 related.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blackman said:

Yes. I got the game (twice) since release and only now I've done the Dragonborn expansion. Some user-made mods are more fun imo though.

Not sure how one would roleplay HHH. They've done many animations for the game (my eyes cannot unsee what I've seen, let's not go into details) but a Pedigree is yet to be made. :p

Long blond haired Nord who only uses a war hammer for a weapon.

On 11/30/2022 at 1:20 PM, Dawn said:

I did finish the main quest once, but I think it was before any of the expansions were released. I also finished Dawnguard at one time.

On a side note if you like Crusader Kings & Skyrim the Elder Kings 2 mod is now released and I'm having a lot of fun with it. If you are trying it out roll back your CK3 patch to 1.7.2 as Paradox just patched the game yesterday and the mod isn't updated for 1.8 yet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VBigB said:

I did finish the main quest once, but I think it was before any of the expansions were released. I also finished Dawnguard at one time.

On a side note if you like Crusader Kings & Skyrim the Elder Kings 2 mod is now released and I'm having a lot of fun with it. If you are trying it out roll back your CK3 patch to 1.7.2 as Paradox just patched the game yesterday and the mod isn't updated for 1.8 yet.

The best time I ever had with CK2 was the Game of Thrones mod. If Elder Kings is thàt good, I might be checking that out soon enough.

Dragonborn as expansion isn't that great imo to make Skyrim worth installing again, but any new content was a breath of fresh air. Plus the area is all new.