The Video Game Thread

Genadi

Alrighty, seems I can't find anything on the inter webs about this, going to see if the great gamers of Grey Dog can help me.

So, a few months ago, when I was moving house, I found my old copy of CM 03/04, which to my surprise still works. I instantly began playing after downloading the patch so it works on windows 10. I have already like 4 days play time on my save which is in the English Premier Division managing all 20 teams (and seven extra as I just finished the first season and 3 teams were relegated, three were promoted so I became manager of the three promoted teams and four previously fired coaches (one is on indefinite holiday as he hasn't gained a new job yet.) as they picked up jobs in lower divisions.). I also have many of the major top leagues and their lower divisions active also. (Spain, France, Italy, Scotland, Ireland, Holland etc)

As I said, I just finished season 1 and it's the 8th of June 2004 in the game and the transfer window just opened for the summer again. However, every time I go to continue the day, it says its processing and after a few seconds of this, the blue loading circle comes up and if you click or touch anything an error comes up stating "Championship Manager 03/04 is not responding". I've left it alone for 20 mins, nothing. I've made offers for players so the time doesn't advance too much but that only worked up until 14:30. I've looked online for solutions, nothing. I have seen that sometimes it can be temperamental if it's installed on the C: drive, which it is, so I will see if I keep my save game, re-install it on another drive and try again to see if that works, however, I'm not too optimistic.

I have seen programmes give this message and still work away in the background and I'm hoping this is the case, however, I did wait for 20 mins and nothing happened and I can't imagine my PC (which is run by an ssd and is super fast and can run modern day games without much issue) would take longer than this to process stuff, though maybe because I am running it in compatibility mode, it may run at a compatibility speed as I don't fly through results as quickly as I thought I would. I do get other errors such as not being able to load tactics, but clicking the error window (and it could come up 20+ times) gets rid of it and the job information screen is completely bugged out and crashes the game (but I just avoid it and it works fine, it's more an info screen than anything important) but other than that the game runs fine.

Has anybody out there ever seen anything like this or have played CM03/04 on a modern pc and found a fix? I would be so appreciative. The best part is between seasons when you get to buy players to see if you can improve on last season and I'm not willing to give up on this save.

Alrighty, seems I can't find anything on the inter webs about this, going to see if the great gamers of Grey Dog can help me.

So, a few months ago, when I was moving house, I found my old copy of CM 03/04, which to my surprise still works. I instantly began playing after downloading the patch so it works on windows 10. I have already like 4 days play time on my save which is in the English Premier Division managing all 20 teams (and seven extra as I just finished the first season and 3 teams were relegated, three were promoted so I became manager of the three promoted teams and four previously fired coaches (one is on indefinite holiday as he hasn't gained a new job yet.) as they picked up jobs in lower divisions.). I also have many of the major top leagues and their lower divisions active also. (Spain, France, Italy, Scotland, Ireland, Holland etc)

As I said, I just finished season 1 and it's the 8th of June 2004 in the game and the transfer window just opened for the summer again. However, every time I go to continue the day, it says its processing and after a few seconds of this, the blue loading circle comes up and if you click or touch anything an error comes up stating "Championship Manager 03/04 is not responding". I've left it alone for 20 mins, nothing. I've made offers for players so the time doesn't advance too much but that only worked up until 14:30. I've looked online for solutions, nothing. I have seen that sometimes it can be temperamental if it's installed on the C: drive, which it is, so I will see if I keep my save game, re-install it on another drive and try again to see if that works, however, I'm not too optimistic.

I have seen programmes give this message and still work away in the background and I'm hoping this is the case, however, I did wait for 20 mins and nothing happened and I can't imagine my PC (which is run by an ssd and is super fast and can run modern day games without much issue) would take longer than this to process stuff, though maybe because I am running it in compatibility mode, it may run at a compatibility speed as I don't fly through results as quickly as I thought I would. I do get other errors such as not being able to load tactics, but clicking the error window (and it could come up 20+ times) gets rid of it and the job information screen is completely bugged out and crashes the game (but I just avoid it and it works fine, it's more an info screen than anything important) but other than that the game runs fine.

Has anybody out there ever seen anything like this or have played CM03/04 on a modern pc and found a fix? I would be so appreciative. The best part is between seasons when you get to buy players to see if you can improve on last season and I'm not willing to give up on this save.

Have you installed the patch?

• 2 weeks later...

DAVEFAN95, I know that it's not the answer that you are looking for, but there are some retro-databases that are a blast in FM

https://www.fmscout.com/a-football-manager-retro-databases.html

I think that it's also a 03/04 in FM21.

I'm having a blast with the 1991/92 database in FM16. I'm having a great time with a run with the "Quinta del Buitre" Real Madrid, but I'm toying with a multi-team game (Maradona's Napoli or Lettissier and Shearer in the Southampton are too tempting).

So back during tax return time I finally splurged on a Switch and some games. It's been like three months and I've put less than a few hours into playing it.

It's not even that I don't like what I'm playing. It's just feels like I went so long without a console that I have to re-learn how to enjoy video games. Does this make sense or am I weird?

The most fun I've had is with Pokemon Legends: Arceus and Metroid Dread

I own Octopath Traveler, Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning, Metroid Dread, and The Outer Worlds.

All the games were hits and have great gameplay, but I just feel broken when I try to play games anymore.

I don't feel like I've outgrown video games either, just that I'm in a funk that I can't get out of.

I'm also pretty sure it's related to my mental health issues, which tend to hinder my enjoyment of things in a major way.

Does anyone have any pointers or anything?

I really want to pick up TMNT: Shredder's Revenge and the Cowabunga Collection, but man, I just feel so broken.

Does anyone have any pointers or anything?

While it may not work for you, here's what I do:

Think back to an earlier time you remember enjoying playing videogames, for whatever reason that may be, and play some of those games again before delving into new ones.

For me there are periods that I vividly remember and associate with videogames.

- Growing up in the 80's playing Commodore 64 games with my dad, brother and cousin. Notable games being The Last Ninja 2, International Karate +, Spy vs Spy II: The Island Caper

- The early 90's playing the Sega Megadrive (Genesis) with my dad, brother and friends. Notable games being Sonic the Hedgehog, Desert Strike, Road Rash II

- The second half of the 90's when I got my first PC. Notable games being Wing Commander III, Doom, Command & Conquer. Quake II and Unreal Tournament are two games where I first went online and played against people I didn't know.

- The N64, which was the first console I ever bought myself due to starting work and having my own money. There were many nights of drinking and eating pizza with friends while playing. Notable games being Goldeneye, WCW/nWo Revenge, WWF No Mercy and F-Zero X

You get the idea. A simpler idea is just to either play your favourite games ever, or play the first games that got you into gaming.

If you think it's a mental health issue though then I would suggest you visit your doctor and/or therapist and speak to them. You may need to adjust any medication you might be taking or possibly try a different one. I'm no mental health professional though so your doctor/therapist could decide on that.

-----------------

On a similar note, I used to paint Games Workshop miniatures. I haven't done so in a while, but when I get the urge I have to listen to the music I was listening to at the time when I first got into the hobby to get me in the mood.

While it may not work for you, here's what I do:

Think back to an earlier time you remember enjoying playing videogames, for whatever reason that may be, and play some of those games again before delving into new ones.

For me there are periods that I vividly remember and associate with videogames.

- Growing up in the 80's playing Commodore 64 games with my dad, brother and cousin. Notable games being The Last Ninja 2, International Karate +, Spy vs Spy II: The Island Caper

- The early 90's playing the Sega Megadrive (Genesis) with my dad, brother and friends. Notable games being Sonic the Hedgehog, Desert Strike, Road Rash II

- The second half of the 90's when I got my first PC. Notable games being Wing Commander III, Doom, Command & Conquer. Quake II and Unreal Tournament are two games where I first went online and played against people I didn't know.

- The N64, which was the first console I ever bought myself due to starting work and having my own money. There were many nights of drinking and eating pizza with friends while playing. Notable games being Goldeneye, WCW/nWo Revenge, WWF No Mercy and F-Zero X

You get the idea. A simpler idea is just to either play your favourite games ever, or play the first games that got you into gaming.

If you think it's a mental health issue though then I would suggest you visit your doctor and/or therapist and speak to them. You may need to adjust any medication you might be taking or possibly try a different one. I'm no mental health professional though so your doctor/therapist could decide on that.

-----------------

On a similar note, I used to paint Games Workshop miniatures. I haven't done so in a while, but when I get the urge I have to listen to the music I was listening to at the time when I first got into the hobby to get me in the mood.

Playing my favorite games ever sounds like a good idea. Chrono Trigger is my all time favorite, so I'll tackle that again!

There was lately an unexpected twist in the long and winding road of WWE 2K...

The latest update to WWE 2K22 - the one that came out just before this latest DLC patch hit - seems to have broken the game a bit. Seems to be playing all sorts of havoc with the Creation Suites for a lot of users, (for me and many others), it just flat out wouldn't save half the time, and I had to find little workarounds to try and get things done. It was a hassle. On the advice of some in the community, I made the drastic choice of re-installing the game. I was pretty scared about this, that I might lose all my CAWs or all my SaveData, but living with this situation was quite the pain in the butt, so I had to make the leap.

Seems to have worked, as the game seems to be back to its old self, everything seems to be working the way it's supposed to again, and, thankfully, all my CAWs and Saves are perfectly intact, so I don't have go all the way through MyRise again unless I just decide I want to.

So apparently my problem is that open world games are just to expansive for me to just hop into a game after not playing games for ages.

I bought Skyrim and TMNT: Shredder's Revenge and TMNT has been a lot of fun. Playing an old school games with levels and bosses seems to be the answer to my problems for now. Eventually I'll dive back into open world games, but I have to work myself back up to it

So apparently my problem is that open world games are just to expansive for me to just hop into a game after not playing games for ages.

I bought Skyrim and TMNT: Shredder's Revenge and TMNT has been a lot of fun. Playing an old school games with levels and bosses seems to be the answer to my problems for now. Eventually I'll dive back into open world games, but I have to work myself back up to it

Shredder's Revenge is so good! The soundtrack is awesome too. They got Raekwon and Ghostface Killah from Wu-Tang to do Shredder's boss theme. Whoever composed this game deserves all TMNT soundtracks going forward just for finding the peanut butter and chocolate combo that is TMNT and Wu-Tang.

Question for the Crusader Kings peeps around here. Picked up CK2 on Steam the better part of a year ago but only got around to diving in last night. Have only the base game at the moment because I figure I can get the DLC's down the road once I'm good and comfortable in the game. And besides, there's already so much in the game to get one's head around. I haven't even left the first day of the learning scenario yet despite having mucked around for three or four decent length game sessions. Kinda know I want to get Alfonso married, that I want to firm up the family bonds and who I want to mess with. I was just kind of curious what y'all's first actions were and how you got the ball rolling. I'm still trying to figure out the mechanics so pointers on the basics would be appreciated.

Question for the Crusader Kings peeps around here. Picked up CK2 on Steam the better part of a year ago but only got around to diving in last night. Have only the base game at the moment because I figure I can get the DLC's down the road once I'm good and comfortable in the game. And besides, there's already so much in the game to get one's head around. I haven't even left the first day of the learning scenario yet despite having mucked around for three or four decent length game sessions. Kinda know I want to get Alfonso married, that I want to firm up the family bonds and who I want to mess with. I was just kind of curious what y'all's first actions were and how you got the ball rolling. I'm still trying to figure out the mechanics so pointers on the basics would be appreciated.

Marry into a family that controls one of the major powers, start fabricating claims on my weakest neighbor, then start looking for other powerful families to marry my future kids into so I have half of Europe at my beck and call for every war I want to fight but not close enough to me that I need to put much effort into supporting their wars. Then I pray my realm doesn't get split by endless succession wars between my idiot kids.

Shredder's Revenge is so good! The soundtrack is awesome too. They got Raekwon and Ghostface Killah from Wu-Tang to do Shredder's boss theme. Whoever composed this game deserves all TMNT soundtracks going forward just for finding the peanut butter and chocolate combo that is TMNT and Wu-Tang.

I somehow missed this reply! I had no idea they were involved at all. I'm so hyped to hear Shredder's theme now

I somehow missed this reply! I had no idea they were involved at all. I'm so hyped to hear Shredder's theme now

Game is too much fun.

On a similar note, since open world can be intimidating try playing some other indie games with an old school feel. Hollow Knight, Celeste, Hades, Dead Cells, Enter the Gungeon, Battle Toads, and Hades (I know I listed it twice).

Game is too much fun.

On a similar note, since open world can be intimidating try playing some other indie games with an old school feel. Hollow Knight, Celeste, Hades, Dead Cells, Enter the Gungeon, Battle Toads, and Hades (I know I listed it twice).

Are these all on Switch? I think Battle Toads is a Microsoft exclusive isn't it?

Are these all on Switch? I think Battle Toads is a Microsoft exclusive isn't it?

You're right, xbox or windows. Sorry, got mixed up where i played that one. No matter there are a lot of great indie games on Switch, mine has pretty much just become an indie game machine.

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to only play either in Ireland or Spain with the goal to unite the various regions into a united country under me.

My computer is too old to play CK3, but I managed to play it on XBox and boy is it not enjoyable on there. Certain games only work as PC games and are not fun to play on a console.

Also off topic but, what is up with the pop-up ads on this site? I have not really been active on here in a month or so, so I did not notice these ads. But man are they annoying, they pop up every single time I switch to a new page. I thought if we opted out of seeing ads on here, they would not show up. Guess that is no longer the case.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone played Kathy Rain?

I recently purchased (and finished) it and I really enjoyed it. It's a pretty simple, old school point & click game, but it really took me back to my childhood and playing the Broken Sword series, Discworld etc. The Broken Sword games are one of my favorite, if not my absolute favorite, series of games (1,2 and 5, definitely).

Any suggestions on similar games?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2022 at 2:16 AM, CGN91 said:

I have bought Mafia Definitive Edition during the sale on Steam for just 13€. I was a huge fan of the original game and Mafia 2 was also pretty decent, too. 

I actually just finished mafia over the weekend and really enjoyed it. So far 5 chapters in 2 isn’t as interesting to me but I’m going to try powering through it. 

• 4 weeks later...