The Video Game Thread

Genadi

18 hours ago, Kubikiri Asa said:

Can't wait for Mutant Football League 2 to be released so that the devs start work on the Mutant Hockey League. Can't wait to play the dynasty version of MHL.

They're doing a Hockey version?! I will have to check that out when its released. Wasn't a huge fan of Mutant Football League (in that I was crap at it 😁) but loved the concept of it.

1 hour ago, Fleisch said:

They're doing a Hockey version?! I will have to check that out when its released. Wasn't a huge fan of Mutant Football League (in that I was crap at it 😁) but loved the concept of it.

Yes the developers confirmed it, when I asked on Twitter earlier this year.

They have also spoken about Mutant Basketball League, but that is still a maybe. I've not seen them confirm it yet.

It's hard to believe but I FINALLY started the Dragonborn expansion from Skyrim. How long's it been? Honestly I'm not too impressed and the game, though it still looks amazing with all the gfx mods, does start to bore a little after all these years. Still haven't tried some of the renowned full world mods but I should before I eventually deinstall it. Trying to stop myself from doing that as I'm almost positive that TESVI (when it released in 2024) will be worse than Skyrim+mods.

10 hours ago, Blackman said:

It's hard to believe but I FINALLY started the Dragonborn expansion from Skyrim. How long's it been? Honestly I'm not too impressed and the game, though it still looks amazing with all the gfx mods, does start to bore a little after all these years. Still haven't tried some of the renowned full world mods but I should before I eventually deinstall it. Trying to stop myself from doing that as I'm almost positive that TESVI (when it released in 2024) will be worse than Skyrim+mods.

That's pretty much the trend of all TES games, Skyrim was worse than Oblivion (to most, I never liked Oblivion), which was worse than Morrwind, which was (depending on who you ask) worse than Daggerfall, which was buggier than Arena. You can always tell which TES game was someone's first because it'll always be the one they say is the best.

And because I know it's tempting to try them once you get bored of the game, I'll go ahead and warn you that those combat overhauls people rave about for Skyrim don't actually fix the combat so much as make it even more janky. If I want more jank in my open world RPG, I'll play a Piranha Bytes game thank you very much.

Honestly what I enjoy most is just traveling from A to B. The combat is fine but not what I'm looking for in the game.

The Piranha Bytes games seem nice and might do a better job in terms of open-world, but unfortunately don't look as good. I never finished one (unsure) as I failed to immerse.

2 hours ago, The Swanton825 said:

That's pretty much the trend of all TES games, Skyrim was worse than Oblivion (to most, I never liked Oblivion), which was worse than Morrwind, which was (depending on who you ask) worse than Daggerfall, which was buggier than Arena. You can always tell which TES game was someone's first because it'll always be the one they say is the best.

And because I know it's tempting to try them once you get bored of the game, I'll go ahead and warn you that those combat overhauls people rave about for Skyrim don't actually fix the combat so much as make it even more janky. If I want more jank in my open world RPG, I'll play a Piranha Bytes game thank you very much.

My first Elder Scrolls was Morrowind, but I love Skyrim. Is it buggy? Yes, but man, I've clocked HUNDREDS of hours in Skyrim. It's in my top five most played games behind TEW, Chrono Trigger, Perfect Dark 64, and Shadowrun for Sega Genesis. 

I also like to roleplay my characters in Skyrim. Like right now, I have a character based on Kain from Blood Omen/Soul Reaver and I am having a blast. 

Also, if anyone has any 8 bit/16 bit style Switch games to recommend, I'm all ears! Been on a retro kick lately. 

Edited by Jaysin

16 minutes ago, Blackman said:

Honestly what I enjoy most is just traveling from A to B. The combat is fine but not what I'm looking for in the game.

The Piranha Bytes games seem nice and might do a better job in terms of open-world, but unfortunately don't look as good. I never finished one (unsure) as I failed to immerse.

Unfortunately, their lower budgets will always mean they lag behind graphically. Gothic 1+2, Risen and ELEX are all games that I would heartily recommend to people, the satisfaction of going from a powerless nobody to a powerhouse in them is second only to Souls games IMO, but they do come with the caveat that they require a bit of patience with the jank.

I'm more of a combat-inclined player (I struggle to play as anything but a mighty character who solves their problems by hitting things really hard lol) so I can't think of any good exploration games off the top of my head. You'd think somebody would have tried to bring back the adventure game spirit of wandering around and solving puzzles but instead it's all just walking sims. 

5 minutes ago, Jaysin said:

My first Elder Scrolls was Morrowind, but I love Skyrim. Is it buggy? Yes, but man, I've clocked HUNDREDS of hours in Skyrim. It's in my top five most played games behind TEW, Chrono Trigger, Perfect Dark 64, and Shadowrun for Sega Genesis. 

I also like to roleplay my characters in Skyrim. Like right now, I have a character based on Kain from Blood Omen/Soul Reaver and I am having a blast. 

Just had to prove my sweeping generalization wrong, didn't you? :classic_tongue: Also reminds me that I need to really sit down and play the 16-bit Shadowruns. I've played a bit of the Genesis version but panicked once I started and didn't immediately know what I was doing.

• Haha 1

I could never get into the SNES Shadowrun, but the Genesis game is one of my top five games ever. 

Next paycheck I'm buying the Shadowrun Returns trilogy on Switch. I have two of the games on Steam already, but man, Switch is just so handy. 

The only issue I've really had with my Switch is in hand held mode, the graphics for games like Outer Worlds kinda loses its shine. Just too many resources for it to really handle. 

Started Pokemon Sword, yes I'm behind and I'm having a blast. I started with Grookey because it's final evolve looked too cool to pass up. Also, Yamber is the goodest boi.

On 10/29/2022 at 5:42 AM, Jaysin said:

I could never get into the SNES Shadowrun, but the Genesis game is one of my top five games ever. 

Next paycheck I'm buying the Shadowrun Returns trilogy on Switch. I have two of the games on Steam already, but man, Switch is just so handy. 

The only issue I've really had with my Switch is in hand held mode, the graphics for games like Outer Worlds kinda loses its shine. Just too many resources for it to really handle. 

Started Pokemon Sword, yes I'm behind and I'm having a blast. I started with Grookey because it's final evolve looked too cool to pass up. Also, Yamber is the goodest boi.

Pokemon Sword/Shield were pretty good fun, dunno why they're as maligned in the wider internet. Looking forward to Scarlet/Violet dropping, Greavard is the goodest ghost friend.

COD MW2 has the best single player campaign of the series in ages. Probably since the original one, really. I'm not touching online COD ever, but I was pleasantly surprised at the offline experience and will be awaiting MW3 with hefty expectations for a followup.

6 hours ago, Dawn said:

COD MW2 has the best single player campaign of the series in ages. Probably since the original one, really. I'm not touching online COD ever, but I was pleasantly surprised at the offline experience and will be awaiting MW3 with hefty expectations for a followup.

Really? It's been ages since I did another FPS. I never play MP. Used to do the campaigns back when it was easy to borrow/trade games. I'm not paying premium for a 5-hour experience, even though it might be thrilling. So I guess I'll be waiting a couple of years until it drops to its lowest price.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blackman said:

Really? It's been ages since I did another FPS. I never play MP. Used to do the campaigns back when it was easy to borrow/trade games. I'm not paying premium for a 5-hour experience, even though it might be thrilling. So I guess I'll be waiting a couple of years until it drops to its lowest price.

It is rather short, hence why I was fortunate to have a friend buy it and play the story with him at his place. I guess it comes with the territory as online is the bread maker.

But it was definitely the strongest campaign in a long time even if it stays too safe in a few fronts that I won't elaborate as to not spoil.

Nintendo needs to stop having sales...

So far my Switch collection:

Armed to the Gears
Beholgar
Blasphemous
Borderlands GOTY
Borderlands Pre-Sequel Ultimate Edition
Borderlands 2 GOTY
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
Coromon
CrossCode
Don't Starve 
Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
Goblin Sword
Hard West
Monster Sanctuary
Nexomon+Nexomon Extinction
Pokemon Sword
Star Ocean First Departure R
Star Wars Republic Commando
TMNT Shredder's Revenge
Skyrim Anniversary 
This War of Mine Complete
Toe Jam and Earl Back in the Groove
WarGroove
X-Com 2 Collection
Yooka Laylee
Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair

As always, if there's any 8 bit or 16 bit style games you'd recommend, I'm all ears. 

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta get that 500th game though!

I'm not buying anything as long as my backlog exceeds 5 games, which it does atm. And if I keep playing the same games that won't help. :p Price-wise sites like GMG keep the same level of these "black friday" sales anyway. By the time the Winter Sale hits (literaly 3 weeks after 'black friday sale') I probably still wouldn't have worked through 1 game.

I learned to just delete games off the backlog as I had 30+ at a certain time (the time of the "bundles" :p). Gotta be realistic.

Yet with everyone and their backlogs people are still playing poorly optimised games like the latest Pokemon. They really can't wait, can't they?