The Video Game Thread

Genadi

The problem for me is threefold:

- No full entrances

- Very small roster (especially in comparison with WWE games)

- Bad graphics (some wrestlers look horrible)

Maybe I could have fun with it, but full price this doesn't look like a good deal at all, and quite frankly I won't even buy it for 20$ tbh.

• Like 2

Oh man I just had the most fun ladder match I've ever had in a video game in Fight Forever. I was playing as my OC Jay Zero and facing Dustin Rhodes for the tnt title. 

It got me my first seven star match. 

I hit a top rope Cody cutter onto a ladder to take Dustin out and let me climb to get the chip to win the title.

I'll pick it up when it's on sale. I've been spoiled with Steam sales and Game Pass, so £40+ for just one game feels like madness to me. 

A lot of the criticisms don't turn me off. Entrances in WWE 2K22 were the bane of my existence. A lot of loading when I just want to get to the action. And I just don't have the patience for create-a-whatever any more. Three recent games I played (Far Cry 5, Street Fighter 6 demo & Marvel's Midnight Suns) had character creation bits up front, and it's just not my jam. I like the idea of playing something unique, but I would rather have my avatar be carefully crafted by the game makers, and not whatever Claymation monster I come up with. 

While I'm listing pet peeves in video games, Marvel's Midnight Suns has been particularly in-my-face about another. The side characters are [i]constantly[/i] telling me how great my avatar is. He's so talented and a great listener and a great friend and not like the other girls. The game had potential for an interesting story, playing as a half demon who has to slowly build trust with a bunch of Marvel heroes... but pretty much instantly Captain America is telling me I'm the world's only hope and a great leader, and offering to braid my hair. It's a weird power fantasy that I find off-putting, and it was similar in Mass Effect Andromeda and Persona 5. Everyone loves me instantly, for little to no reason.  And they won't stop telling me about it. 

This is probably a Me thing. I love games where you control a squad, but I also prefer to roleplay an underdog. There's a thematic disconnect there. 

I love the combat in Midnight Suns though. X-Com but cards. Ditching grid movement and adding superheroes. Just my cup of tea. 

Edited by Self
  • Like 1

So far I have been enjoying FF. A damn great solid base as the arcade gameplay is very much my jam and that easy to pick up approach makes it more palatable to couch multiplayer sessions. I genuinely hope it does well enough to continue support and add more to it,

The limited modes is currently a major issue. 3 rounds of Road To Elite is seemingly enough and we badly need Trios, Cage and Backstage Brawls matches. I have heard of the Stadium Stampede mode being added but it sounds like it will be online only, no interest to me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Self said:

While I'm listing pet peeves in video games, Marvel's Midnight Suns has been particularly in-my-face about another. The side characters are [i]constantly[/i] telling me how great my avatar is. He's so talented and a great listener and a great friend and not like the other girls. The game had potential for an interesting story, playing as a half demon who has to slowly build trust with a bunch of Marvel heroes... but pretty much instantly Captain America is telling me I'm the world's only hope and a great leader, and offering to braid my hair. It's a weird power fantasy that I find off-putting, and it was similar in Mass Effect Andromeda and Persona 5. Everyone loves me instantly, for little to no reason.  And they won't stop telling me about it. 

I for one would love it if there were more RPGs where you aren't "The Special" and maybe even not have the plot be about saving the world. Planescape: Torment is one of the best written RPGs ever and it's about an amnesiac's quest for identity.

Also, now I can't get the image of Captain America braiding all the other Avengers' hair out of my head.

Weird little bit about Road to Elite mode in Fight Forever, I won the AEW World title at my second ppv and then the belt is never referenced again. Instead, I feuded with Death Triangle and then Ruby Soho and Mr Brodie Lee. So strange. 

On 7/5/2023 at 2:20 PM, Jaysin said:

Weird little bit about Road to Elite mode in Fight Forever, I won the AEW World title at my second ppv and then the belt is never referenced again. Instead, I feuded with Death Triangle and then Ruby Soho and Mr Brodie Lee. So strange. 

Sounds like 2K15's barren career mode where you'd randomly lose the titles you won and it would just end once you won the world title.

Skyrim has a mod that removes your Dragonborn powers and makes you weaker so even bandits will be a thread at first. 

Kingdom Come also has you start as a bum. 

I also loathe games that program you to be a god amongst men. But sometimes it's unavoidable. 

BG3 had their preview before release. Not excited about the engine as mentioned before but it's a fact that this will be an epic game for sure. Also: intercourse with bears. 

People seem to have a weird faith in Microsoft's ability to run Activision-Blizzard any better when their track record says otherwise. They have studio specifically for making Halo games and yet 343 can't even manage consistent updates to Halo Infinite. Not to mention how Microsoft have bungled their ownership of Rare from day one. Censored Conker remaster for the OG Xbox, making them the main Kinect devs, refusing to greenlight a myriad of ideas that aren't Sea of Thieves, my grievances go on and on.

I'm not exactly crying for Sony digging their own grave on this one, but all that happened is one greedy conglomerate defeated another greedy conglomerate.

6 hours ago, Blackman said:

I don't care as I play on pc exclusively. Honestly exclusives should be easier to program and turn out better. Plus Sony has the tendency to not release on pc eventually so they invited this on themselves. 

Tell that to Redfall. Or Too Human. Or Crackdown 2. Or The Order: 1886. Or Lair.

48 minutes ago, The Swanton825 said:

People seem to have a weird faith in Microsoft's ability to run Activision-Blizzard any better when their track record says otherwise. They have studio specifically for making Halo games and yet 343 can't even manage consistent updates to Halo Infinite. Not to mention how Microsoft have bungled their ownership of Rare from day one. Censored Conker remaster for the OG Xbox, making them the main Kinect devs, refusing to greenlight a myriad of ideas that aren't Sea of Thieves, my grievances go on and on.

I'm not exactly crying for Sony digging their own grave on this one, but all that happened is one greedy conglomerate defeated another greedy conglomerate.

Tell that to Redfall. Or Too Human. Or Crackdown 2. Or The Order: 1886. Or Lair.

I know what you mean by some blind loyalty to Microsoft, but I don't. I merely laugh at Sony for failing as hard as the communist party was portrayed in movies, comically dumb.

For example their reason for trying to stop the purchase of Activision-Blizzard. It wasn't for their own exclusivity, it was simply because they wanted to prevent Microshaft from owning them. No other reason has yet to be said.

Hell they have refused to give Activision-Blizzard recent dev kits to make new games for Playstation all because of the sale. Which is funny because not once has Microshaft said that CoD will be exclusive on Xbox.

49 minutes ago, FellaLibby said:

I know what you mean by some blind loyalty to Microsoft, but I don't. I merely laugh at Sony for failing as hard as the communist party was portrayed in movies, comically dumb.

For example their reason for trying to stop the purchase of Activision-Blizzard. It wasn't for their own exclusivity, it was simply because they wanted to prevent Microshaft from owning them. No other reason has yet to be said.

Hell they have refused to give Activision-Blizzard recent dev kits to make new games for Playstation all because of the sale. Which is funny because not once has Microshaft said that CoD will be exclusive on Xbox.

From the sounds of it, if they even hinted that Call of Duty could become an Xbox exclusive, they would have lost the case. Giant franchise. Unfair move. Creating a monopoly. Etc. So I'm sure they've been very careful not to say it. 

I'm not a huge gamer. This might mean more options for me on Game Pass. Maybe. I'm not too familiar with what Activision Blizzard do. I am slightly uneasey whenever big companies get bigger, and threaten to control an industry. Competitive prices are better for me than one monolith charging what it wants. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, FellaLibby said:

Well it's not like Sony cares about the risks to consumers from a monopoly since their end goal is the same as Microsoft's: Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of gamers' wallets. It is funny to see Sony fall flat on their face with this, but I can't muster the excitement others seemingly have. Call me when Raven Software, Vicarious Visions and Toys for Bob are released from CoD support studio hell and then maybe I'll reconsider.

16 hours ago, MidKnightDreary said:

I really want BG3 but I doubt I'll ever spend enough time in it to be worthwhile

Yeah that's the thing. Most of the "great" games nowadays suck you in and you should occupy most of your free time with them for a concentrated period. If you don't there's indeed no point to playing an rpg. I don't think i can do that a lot anymore. 

Ill buy it for sure though as i thirst for Forgotten Realms lore. 😛

I've been spending most of my gametime playing Pokemon SoulSilver on Nintendo DS for the first time and boy oh boy, what a game! I just got the Plain Badge and it was epic. As a kid, Whitney would destroy me with her OP Miltank. Most of my party was under levelled for the fight, but I took out her first pokemon relatively easily. Miltank then rolled out all over my party knocking four out rather quickly. All I had left was Gastly and Totodile. Two of Gastly's moves(night shade and lick) have zero effect on Miltank, which left Hypnosis and Curse. So I put it to sleep and cursed it and then road the battle out. Gastly did get taken out with Roll Out, but Totodile cleaned up nicely. 

SoulSilver is a brilliant remake of a brilliant game and I am having the best time. 

After I finish SoulSilver, I'm craving the GOAT, Chrono Trigger, so I'll see what ending I can get on that this time. 

In between Game Pass subscriptions, so decide to try some 'free to play' games. 

I'd played some Fortnite previously. It's smooth and easy to jump into, but after 8-10 games I feel like I've been there, done that. Hearing that I'm probably playing against bots took some of the shine off of my two victories. 

Halo Infinite has made me rethink my history with the Halo franchise. I think I hate it now. I'm really bad at this game, and now I wonder if, from Halo 2 in Uni to replaying Reach last year, I always have been. I like the variety of modes, I guess. Lots of difference ways for me to be an absolute liability to my team.

Roller Champions is a weird little roller derby game. First play was fun, I felt like I helped (I can tackle, but not shoot). Didn't feel any urge to play another game though. 

Overwatch 2 on the other hand... I think I understand the appeal of these games now. I'm not 'good', but as a healer I can help and participate while I learn the ropes. I've played an hour every night for a week, trying the different characters, completing different challenges. I like it. I can actually see myself getting the battle pass next season to get the full experience or unlocking nonsense. I'm not a 'skins' guy, but I'm starting to see why some people are. 

In a total coincidence (and not because my phone spies on me) my news feed is now full of "Overwatch in decline" "Blizzard are terrible" stories.

• Like 1

Me and my wife have been getting back into Team Fortress 2, thanks with their new Summer *SEAL* Update. And then hitting new AllTime players and it just fills me with joy. Yes it's 16 years old, yes Valve has more or less given up on it, yes it's not the best FPS, but to me, it brings me never ending belly laughs for many reasons.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the new DC cardgame but fundamentally its just too uninteresting to sink my teeth in. Lotd of "been there, done tgat". Only interesting feature is the PvE or offline play, using real comics with slight animations for immersion. Nice. 

Ended up getting BG3 as i was bound to get it eventually. Will play tomorrow, if i geg through the character creator. 😅

I'm still plugging away at my back log (502 games) on XBox. I'll never catch up as there are not enough hours in the day. I'm currently getting through the remake of Kingdoms of Amalur (one of my favourite RPG's) and Doom. I've also got Assassins Creed Origins and Valhalla to get through but they are so big I find myself overwhelmed and quit after about an hour. Syndicate isn't as big so maybe I'll try to get through that instead. I had been thinking of going back and completing Cyberpunk again now its all been fixed. I finished it once but obviously I'll choose a different "path" next playthrough. Oh yeah Tom Clancys Breakpoint is another on my list. I loved Wildlands (which is ticked off as complete) so bought this on a whim (it was £13 for game and DLC). And that is just the tip of my gaming back catalogue!

First World problems huh...

I'm curious, when do you consider a game complete? Do you have to get every trophy/achievement or are you like me, once the main story is done, the game is complete. I tend not to go back to "mop up" missed achievements because although it is nice getting the little pop up, it really isn't what gaming is about for me.

As soon as I finish a game's story, all motivation I have to play a game disappears. I'll often try to keep going, to do some more side quests or finish off a close achievement, but it very quickly feels pointless. It's not like I pay full price for anything any more. I'm aiming to finish Far Cry 5 this weekend, and once I see the credits I'll be deleting it off of my hard drive and moving on. Had a really good time though. Surprising hit for me.

Story is a big motivator for me. I've tried to get back into fighting games in recent years, but Mortal Kombat 11's story mode has been the first one I've played for more than 15 minutes.

I also just tend to get bored and wander off after 30-35 hours. At that point it's complete enough. If there's any good content I didn't see, that's the game's fault for not putting it in earlier.