Nba 2k11

GatorBait19

I just picked up the game tonight but won't be back around my Xbox for a few days (as I'm in my hometown while my Wife's dad goes through surgery). My question is, to those who have played thus far, I've heard that the Association has received quite the upgrade overall. Better AI in trading/team development as one of these such improvements.

To those who have played the Association, Do you see anything really different? Does it feel, look, play, more realistic to the actual NBA? I've always said that NBA games really lacked a strong franchise mode. With one, it could be really addicting!

Thank you!

Currently Association mode is broken and I am angry about that. The developers at 2k hyped this year's Association mode as improved and the best ever in the NBA2k series. Unfortunately there are a lot of issues.

Well the A.I. for the GM's for every team is improved. You won't see teams stacking a lot of good players at one position like last year's version. I have noticed that teams do make trades that are more logical and there are draft day trades. Teams also make trades to blow up their roster. Steve Nash is always traded before the trade deadline in every association I start up.

Here are the problems:

It seems that the sim engine for this mode is very bad. I did several tests and the home court advantage is insane. There were only 3 teams who has a winning road record (the Lakers however did not and their whole roster was healthy and the same the whole year). The playoffs is even worse because 85 to 90% of the time the higher seed team wins. I know this is similar to real life but not with teams constantly getting blown out by 40 points in almost every series.

The player roles are messed up and do not work properly. I noticed that once someone gets injured the CPU teams always change their player roles. This would be okay except for the fact that sometimes the CPU gives star players a bench warmer role when they are injured and of course they are not going to like that. Once a player's morale goes down close to zero then they will request a trade. I have seen players like Amare Stoudemire getting traded to the Thunder for a first round pick and average role players. Also players like Ginobili, Shannon Brown, Matt Barnes who play important roles off the bench get mad because of the lack of playing time. Player roles is a good idea but its very flawed and doesn't work properly and in the end it can screw up your team and CPU teams. Chemistry is also useless because I have had teams make the playoffs with a team chemistry rating of 20%.

The trading is a very big problem due to a number of factors. The first year in my Association I had about 20 to 30 trades and it actually works. The bad thing is that after the first season teams do not make any trades ever again. This is due to the very flawed generated draft classes by the game itself. Rookies should not be coming into the league with 84 ratings. My first draft had 5 players rated 80 or above and the whole first round had players 71 and above. This just screws up Association mode because after 3 or 4 seasons the league is full with star players from the draft and real life stars such as Carmelo Anthony and Rajon Rondo are just sitting in the free agent pool for years and years. The real rookies this year don't even have a very high rating (John Wall is an 81 which is debatable but I don't use 2k's official rosters). You can make your own draft classes to fix this problem and you can do this in Association mode but it is somewhat a lost cause.

The potential ratings for players are a problem. Even for current young players it seems that players have too high potential ratings. This also screws up the free agency and trade activity as teams place a high value on the majority of their players. The rookies generated by 2k all have very high potential ratings and basically every player that comes out of the draft has the potential to be an all-star. There are very few busts in the first round. Various players from operationsports.com and including myself have noticed that potential is hardcoded in the game and it is possible that players can progress well even if they don't get playing time and if you give them a bad potential rating.

I'm trying to think if I can remember anything else but these are the glaring problems of Association. Like I said Association is good for the first season but it falls apart as you play multiple seasons. To me this is unacceptable to release a mode that is broken and plagued with a lot of problems. I bought this game mainly to play Association mode and it is basically unplayable. There are workarounds to some problems like creating your own draft classes and controlling all teams in Association but I am tired of doing that every year.

To me it seems that 2ksports put a lot of focus on Jordan mode and gameplay because there are glaring issues with MyPlayer and Association. The gameplay is great but this game almost feels like a beta version with all the bugs and glitches. I hope 2k releases a patch to fix some of the problems in Association mode. I said some because I don't know if the home court advantage can be fixed. I'm going to wait at least to December because I have other games but if it not fixed I will probably sell this game.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like association mode but this game has improved the gameplay so much that I honestly could live without it this year. They fixed a lot of things and I feel like that by playing with the sliders a little I can get a good balance between realism and fun. I like the default simulation settings except the computer shoots about 35% on me and it's a struggle for either team to score 100.

Recently I went to OperationSports.com to see if there were any temporary solutions to Association mode. Apparently if you start an Association and select 29 or 58 game seasons the trading and free agent issues are not as bad. For some reason 82 game seasons don't work. You still have to create your own draft classes to fix the problem with rookies having high ratings and progressing too fast.

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the large bump but have just decided to get the game and have a few questions (Mainly because I know F' all about B'Ball).

1. Who are a good team with lots of room to grow/build? I like having youthful players, and dont mind trading players to get a team I will like (But I do not want to mess around with the whole of a big team, e.g wouldnt play as the Heat and trade Wade, Bosh & James away.)

2. I have seen you have the ability to download draft classes (or whatever they are called) for Association Mode. Are you better off using them or the auto-generated ones? And if the downloaded ones are better any advice on which ones are good?

Sorry for the large bump but have just decided to get the game and have a few questions (Mainly because I know F' all about B'Ball).

1. Who are a good team with lots of room to grow/build? I like having youthful players, and dont mind trading players to get a team I will like (But I do not want to mess around with the whole of a big team, e.g wouldnt play as the Heat and trade Wade, Bosh & James away.)

2. I have seen you have the ability to download draft classes (or whatever they are called) for Association Mode. Are you better off using them or the auto-generated ones? And if the downloaded ones are better any advice on which ones are good?

The Clippers have a strong core of young guys around Blake Griffin, the T-Wolves have Flynn and Love. The Warriors have a lot of room to grow around Curry and Ellis. In the East, the 76ers have a lot of youth at the guard/forward positions. The Bulls and Thunder are young teams that could compete this year and both have elite Point Guards.

I really prefer the downloaded draft classes, and they auto sort by rating. Just go with one with a lot of downloads, especially if there's a current version. The auto generated drafts tend not to have a lot of depth, especially at the 2 position. For some reason the game doesn't generate new pure shooters very often. You get guys that are well-rounded at everything but not that great in any one skill, which is fine for the lottery picks, but pretty much the opposite of what I want out of a mid to low level draft pick.

The Clippers have a strong core of young guys around Blake Griffin, the T-Wolves have Flynn and Love. The Warriors have a lot of room to grow around Curry and Ellis. In the East, the 76ers have a lot of youth at the guard/forward positions. The Bulls and Thunder are young teams that could compete this year and both have elite Point Guards.

I really prefer the downloaded draft classes, and they auto sort by rating. Just go with one with a lot of downloads, especially if there's a current version. The auto generated drafts tend not to have a lot of depth, especially at the 2 position. For some reason the game doesn't generate new pure shooters very often. You get guys that are well-rounded at everything but not that great in any one skill, which is fine for the lottery picks, but pretty much the opposite of what I want out of a mid to low level draft pick.

Blake Griffin is someone that has caught my eye on youtube so will have to look at the Clippers when the game arrives.

Just remembered another question that I havent found an answer for:

How do you improve players during a season. I have watched a few people who have done videos on there association that show players improved hugely. In game how do you achieve these stat increases? Is it playing games, manually training players, or like I saw on someones video about pre-season just send them to train on a specific area and get told the results of the training.

Definitely the Bulls, they're my favorite youthful team. I'm actually doing the opposite of you, trying to challenge myself by winning the title in Association mode with a veteran-filled team... went with the Phoenix Suns. Only got to the finals against Boston(ironically).

As for improving players, I think it's a bit of everything. You have to be really consistent with them in the development training department, give them ample minutes, and they should have a high potential rating too. Go look at their potential ratings and you'll see which ones are nuggets for the future. Every offseason, there is indeed a training camp too that gives them a nice boost.

• 3 months later...

<p>Figured I would bump this as my post in the gamertag section didn't seem to garner any attention.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

For anyone with this on Xbox, interested in a GDS League or Crew? I'm cool with either and would like a more enjoyable online experience that I've had in Team Up quick matches. I had a guy last night on my team that would foul and get offensive 3 seconds every possession. I had a fast break dunk once and he called a TO just before I got to the basket.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="i effin rule" data-cite="i effin rule" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="29168" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I had a fast break dunk once and he called a TO just before I got to the basket.</div></blockquote><p> Sorry but that is funny, he is a jerk. However as I could see someone waiting until just before you slam dunk and then calling a tiime out that is funny. I would have been pissed if it happened to me but it is funny.</p><p> </p><p> Either way I also have this game....I suck at it and only play like once in a blue moon but if your ever on or see me on I would love to play with someone that could suggest improvements to my game....I suck...</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Teh_Showtime" data-cite="Teh_Showtime" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="29168" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>wow that guy is a dbag<p> </p><p> I recently picked this up for $20 a few weeks back. Should have gold again pretty soon.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="machinesxe" data-cite="machinesxe" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="29168" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Sorry but that is funny, he is a jerk. However as I could see someone waiting until just before you slam dunk and then calling a tiime out that is funny. I would have been pissed if it happened to me but it is funny.<p> </p><p> Either way I also have this game....I suck at it and only play like once in a blue moon but if your ever on or see me on I would love to play with someone that could suggest improvements to my game....I suck...</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Sounds good.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> I've made the team, called them the Grey Dogs. If anyone is interested just reply here, shoot me a pm, or send a message to Effinstein on XBL.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> If we get some people in I might start a thread for it in the Special Dynasty section of the forums.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Tha Black Phenom" data-cite="Tha Black Phenom" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="29168" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Yeah man, I've exited the game just as you messaged me, haha. Dunno how it works exactly but I'm down.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> It is pretty much "My Player" only with the capability of full teams of individual players. </p><p> </p><p> Tried to join your Party BTW, but then XBL crapped out on me for some reason.</p>

Archived