The Minor Questions Thread

Two small questions guys, hope you can help me with this. thanks!

1. Does the "Game plan" rating of a fighter come into effect even if I set all his "tactics" options in detail ? If so, how?

2. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to assign a "Strength" rating to fighters. I understand bigger fighters have higher strength by default, so the strength rating is not related to size. (for example, a 5'10 fighter with 40 strength would still be stronger than a 5'2 fighter with 70 strength).

Am I right? if so, how do you really rate a fighter's strength without taking size into the equation ?

Thanks!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

competition

Do you guys tend to build up certain fighters, or make them emerge from the pack?

I don't "feed" any of my fighters. I match them up by reputation or layoff time, and I make them climb the ladder. I sometimes worry that I'm making it harder for young fighters, but I'm not sure I want to just have a few chosen ones who I feed. I like to the heroes emerge on their own. As a result, I suspect my fighters pick up more losses than most along the way, but I'm not sure if that's really harmful.

Thoughts?

Do you guys tend to build up certain fighters, or make them emerge from the pack?

I don't "feed" any of my fighters. I match them up by reputation or layoff time, and I make them climb the ladder. I sometimes worry that I'm making it harder for young fighters, but I'm not sure I want to just have a few chosen ones who I feed. I like to the heroes emerge on their own. As a result, I suspect my fighters pick up more losses than most along the way, but I'm not sure if that's really harmful.

Thoughts?

I try to build guys up early especially if they're 17-20. my main save focuses on the Bantamweight division and has all the available fighters in the weight, I think its up to 165. So for their first 2-3 year I tend to baby the guys who my scout thinks highly of. usually they start with 7 or 8-0 records against tomato cans. After 2-3 I try to build them up as realistic as possible as if they have just reached the UFC. some favourable matchups against vets past their prime, if they're a striker matchup them up with a low level grappler first. the problem with this is you'll have the guys with padded records and will appear high on the rankings. I usually ignore that or modify their rep. That's only a very few select guys though as its time consuming so most fighters get matchups based on rep. once in awhile i'll see a young fighter I somehow completely over looked who goes on quite a tear going like 6-1 or 7-2 but its so rare as those guys start fighting top flight competition so soon and are usually outmatched in all stats. I too have the problem where it seems like many fighters have too many losses but than I remember that all my fighters aren't padding their records against local guys. I wish that was a option in wmma3 but its not. So I switched my focus to creating an all time tournament. tried to get through several years 10-15 and as I was going through take "snapshots" of fighters while they/re at their prime. unfornatley I am running out of time and probably won't get to see this come to fruition but I've ironed some of the things out I didn't like and with the new features in wmma4 I've got several ideas. I may even start a dynasty thread that's a lot of work though. boy that's a big wall of text! oh well I'm excited for the upcoming game.

Two small questions guys, hope you can help me with this. thanks!

1. Does the "Game plan" rating of a fighter come into effect even if I set all his "tactics" options in detail ? If so, how?

2. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to assign a "Strength" rating to fighters. I understand bigger fighters have higher strength by default, so the strength rating is not related to size. (for example, a 5'10 fighter with 40 strength would still be stronger than a 5'2 fighter with 70 strength).

Am I right? if so, how do you really rate a fighter's strength without taking size into the equation ?

Thanks!

1. Tactics - from my experience - is a bit fuzzy. At best you observe tendencies to follow the gameplan in question, but fighters will still stray from their given gameplans. I'd advise never to use it, or at least don't spend much time on changing it. Default tactics do fine. WMMA4 should be better in that regard.

2. I also see it relative to weight class, as in: "a 100 strenght 100kg fighter has an edge over 100 strenght 90kg one". As for rating strenght as a mod-maker, I'd isolate the weight classes and go from there.

^ I've wondered that myself. Always been too lazy to test it. :D

It goes in this order:

- still has a long way to go before hitting his peak

- approaching his peak

- in his prime

- at his absolute peak

- approaching the end of his prime

- well past his prime

Not sure about your second question, honestly. I've never tested that kind of thing, and I have trouble noticing skill changes because WMMA3 doesn't keep track like the TEW series does. If I remember right (don't count on that), a fighter improves before his prime, and then improves at a higher rate during the 'in his prime' stage, stops improving once he reaches his absolute peak, and then starts to lose points once he's out of his prime entirely. I could be very wrong about all of that, but I think that's what I read shortly after I started playing.

at what age would you normally see fighters at this stage or does it even exist. I've gone through the best fighters in my save from the rankings and I can't find a single guy who is at that stage, seems like they go to prime to post prime.

at what age would you normally see fighters at this stage or does it even exist. I've gone through the best fighters in my save from the rankings and I can't find a single guy who is at that stage, seems like they go to prime to post prime.

Not surprising, because it's a very small window, but I promise you that it exists. I'm not just making stuff up here. :p

Using my UFC save as an example, here are the only Top 25 ranked fighters who are at their absolute peak, and they're all in the 32-34 range:

Aleksander Emelianenko - 32

Frankie Edgar - 32

Jon Shores - 32

James McSweeney - 33

Jorge Santiago - 33

Mamed Khalidov - 33

Sergei Kharitonov - 33

Takeshi Inoue - 33

Jon Madsen - 34

Urijah Faber - 34

I imagine it can happen at 31 too, if not earlier, because there are plenty of 32 and 33 year olds who are at the 'approaching the end of his prime' stage. But yeah, I think it only lasts 1 year, maybe 2.

Take a guy who is 'in his prime' and use the editor to increase his age one year at a time, and you should see him hit that stage for a brief period before approaching the end of his prime.

What do you think the ideal weight class size is for an organisation like Bellator?

If you're talking the "Bellator-tournament-format" Bellator, I used 24 fighters per weight class for my Bellator-like show. I held 12 matches per event: 1 title fight, 1 tournament final fight, 2 tournament semi-final fights, 4 tournament quarterfinal fights, and 4 preliminary/tournament-qualifier fights per card. It worked out perfectly for me. It's not hard to map out 5 different weight classes per card and revolve them event to event. The only thing that really threw a wrench into things were injuries and suspensions, but I typically made sure each "level" of competitors fought every 4 months, so injuries messing with my routine happened pretty infrequently. Like I said, it worked like a charm.

JA

Not surprising, because it's a very small window, but I promise you that it exists. I'm not just making stuff up here. :p

Using my UFC save as an example, here are the only Top 25 ranked fighters who are at their absolute peak, and they're all in the 32-34 range:

Aleksander Emelianenko - 32

Frankie Edgar - 32

Jon Shores - 32

James McSweeney - 33

Jorge Santiago - 33

Mamed Khalidov - 33

Sergei Kharitonov - 33

Takeshi Inoue - 33

Jon Madsen - 34

Urijah Faber - 34

I imagine it can happen at 31 too, if not earlier, because there are plenty of 32 and 33 year olds who are at the 'approaching the end of his prime' stage. But yeah, I think it only lasts 1 year, maybe 2.

Take a guy who is 'in his prime' and use the editor to increase his age one year at a time, and you should see him hit that stage for a brief period before approaching the end of his prime.

oh I wasn't calling you a liar I just found it weird I didn't find a single guy, after looking through all the fighters who are over 50 in rep I found 4 guys. so maybe that stage is a smaller window than a year? or it could be that its a abnormal time in my save where very few fighters are at that stage.

thanks for your help.

What's a good benchmark for when to go up to Low Level National? As SIGMA, I'm probably 3-4 shows away and have three fighters at LLN popularity. I have 18 guys at HLR, including all but one of my champions. My PPV deal is fine, I'm about to run my first TV show, and I'm making around $200,000 a month without going up.

Any tips?

You can try to see if you suceed :p if not you're falling to High level regional so there's no big drawback I think. (I tend to stop my company at High level regional and to take anoter at low level regional, so I don't know if there a big drawback)

Personally when I was XCC, I waited for at least 5-6 guys to have reached LLN before I gave it a shot. I personally am very cautious and probably a bit too cautious at that, but I succeeded and stayed up.

Just remember that you need at least one LLN guy to confidently be able to sell a main event match. Since SIGMA has a craptonne of divisions, you would want your champions or contenders to at least have reached that level, else you will end up being pressed for main events, and be forced to put title matches below the main event.

You can do it with just a couple of LLN people, but it depends on the fight results.

You can basically just wait and let the same fighter main event your PPV's over and over again (ergo: every 4 months), with your concern only being to produce credible challengers (I think they don't even need to be popular). But quite frankly, your TV shows should take care of that.

Just only do a PPV when you can produce a credible main event. Why hold back, really? Just stick to TV shows until a star (LLN) is born.

Hey guys first time poster so go easy on me lol.

Couple questions

1. Are all the nationalities going to be included in WMMA 4? (very minor question but was going to do an international mod)

2. Also tied in with that question can teams be restricted by nationality only (ie. Finnish only).

Hey guys first time poster so go easy on me lol.

Couple questions

1. Are all the nationalities going to be included in WMMA 4? (very minor question but was going to do an international mod)

2. Also tied in with that question can teams be restricted by nationality only (ie. Finnish only).

1. Yes.

2. Don't think so.

Tied in with that question can teams be restricted by nationality only (ie. Finnish only).

Would've been a nice suggestion but I'm afraid it's too late now. In any event, teams will most likely be made up out of fighters from that continent. But no way to create a fully Irish team - for example - so far.

Would've been a nice suggestion but I'm afraid it's too late now. In any event, teams will most likely be made up out of fighters from that continent. But no way to create a fully Irish team - for example - so far.

What if you created a team with only 8 spots and made those fighters train their exclusively? I believe in 3 that was a option wasn't it. its not ideal but if you make them permanent members the gym only has a max number of 8 fighters than you'd have a team made up of only that country.

What if you created a team with only 8 spots and made those fighters train their exclusively? I believe in 3 that was a option wasn't it. its not ideal but if you make them permanent members the gym only has a max number of 8 fighters than you'd have a team made up of only that country.

Of course you can assign a limited number of fighters to a certain training camp and set the maximum to an equal amount so no new people can join, but it will remain a fixed affair. You will need to set them as permanent members, or there's the risk of one quitting because of a losing streak or something, and becoming replaced by someone else. If you up the reputation of the camp no one might be elibable to join so it would remain exclusive (normally).

I ended up doing that in my WMMA 3 version and just assigned 10 higher skilled players as permanent members. I ended up not finishing my mod due to a hard drive crash and procrastination on buying an external to backup my files :(

- Depends on how much variance you want in your game. If you set a kickboxer to join a striking gym from the get-go, he'll probably turn into a KO kingpin. If you let him loose, he might joing a BJJ camp and become some well-rounded gatekeeper (though there's always 'destiny' I suppose to thwart your plans).

- Isn't that already editable?

- As for now, there's no way to let a new fighter join a specific organisation like in TEW13. But let's hope the feature migrated along with the others. It would be quite welcome. :cool:

- Depends on how much variance you want in your game. If you set a kickboxer to join a striking gym from the get-go, he'll probably turn into a KO kingpin. If you let him loose, he might joing a BJJ camp and become some well-rounded gatekeeper (though there's always 'destiny' I suppose to thwart your plans).

- Isn't that already editable?

- As for now, there's no way to let a new fighter join a specific organisation like in TEW13. But let's hope the feature migrated along with the others. It would be quite welcome. :cool:

You can set Randy as a mandatory founder of the gym and he should join it. You can do this with three people per gym. Don't know if it's 100% effective but it seems to be. I usually set up several versions of a gym to get guys to go to the right one because I'm a bit OCD like that :L I've got a Jackson-Wink MMA and a Jackson's Submission fighting in my altered DOMMA mod so i Could get most of the more notable jackson's fighters like Sanchez and Condit to join the gym. Did this with a lot of the ATT affiliates and Tristar too. It's not perfect but it works ok. Useful for keeping those damn Gracies in their proper gyms

what happens if you edit a fighter down to a lower weight class? for example you edit a much bigger fighter from WW to BW say? adjust their height so it fits in within the division and maybe their reach, that's it, along with the weights walking and min.

would that guy have ungodly power or strength or would those stats be in line with the other BW's?

would that guy have ungodly power or strength or would those stats be in line with the other BW's?

It all depends on the 'weightcutting' stat. He might have trouble losing the weight and will underperform. Strenght is tied to weight as well (I think) so they should normally be better off if they have good weightcutting.

but would a 70% boxing power for a BW fighter be the same as a 70% boxing power for a fw or lw dropping to LW? I'm thinking yes but I don't know.

also how do I go about adding a ai company. like if I wanted to add Omega how do I do it? I added hi-lite but I had to import it by changing the name and there was another problem I encounter but I can't remember so I was wondering if there was a easier way.

Archived